VCU TO THE THIRD POWAH

VCU TO THE THIRD POWAH
« on: Sep 12, 2006, 12:28 PM »
Perspective Tutorial

TIME TO MAKE YOUR EYES BLEED GUYS!!!!

L0cke drew this (so i dont get in trouble)

This is going to be a drawing exercise which will help those who are having a little trouble with understanding basic perspective, and a good exercise for those who are already experienced with drawing in perspective.

First I'm going to be covering the basics of one points and two point perspective. Then I'm going to give a brief explanation on three point perspective. Then I'll give you some exercises.

One-point perspective

In one-point perspective, the forms are seen face on and are drawn to a single vanishing point.

This is a basic example of one point perspective. The horizontal line is called a horizon line, and it represents well... the horizon =P . The X labelled "VP" is the vanishing point, since all objects vanish from your vision at that point. The lines coming from the vanishing point are your orthogonal lines. They are the lines that put objects into perspective. They create the illusion of depth

One point perspective can be as simple as this

Or as complicated as this

When starting your perspective drawing you're going to want to first start out with a horizon line. In a panel where do you want your reader to view the scene from. The higher you raise your horizon line the further up your viewer is. The lower you place your horizon line the further down your viewer is. Its up to you.

So first draw your horizon line.

Second you're going to want to place your vanishing point onto the horizon line. Think about where you want your objects to vanish.

Next step would be drawing the front of whatever object you wish to place into perspective

From front of what you've drawn, use lines to connect this object to the vanishing point

Lastly draw a vertical and horizontal line whereƂ  you want the object to end

There is your most basic of basics for one point perspective. Try stacking objects and placing them into perspective. Add more objects!

Two-Point Perspective

Two-point perspective is useful to show an angle rather than just face-on. It requires and additional vanishing point, and the vanishing points are often located off the page, and a good distance apart.

The same rules apply to the horizon line. The further you raise the line the further up your viewers with be. The further down the horizon line goes the lower your viewers will be.

First, draw your horizon line across the page. Mark two vanishing points. I'm gonna explain the rest through these handy images =P

Keep in mind that this vertical line can be place anywhere between the two points. Up down left right

You draw the verticle lines at the back edges of your object

If the object is floating above your horizon like you still connect to opposite corners the same way

AND THATS IT. Now keep in mind that you want the two vanishing points to be a good distance apart. If you draw them too close your object becomes skewed like the object in the demonstration (see how sharp the bottom angle is... thats skewed). The vanishing points are close for the purpose of explanation, but technically that object is no bueno.

Another trick is drawing very SMALL when you have points this close, but I know how you guys love details =P

THREEEE POINT PERSPECTIVE

This is the tragic one guys. I'm going to be very brief on this one because frankly its a bitch.

In three point perspective you have three vanishing points. This type of perspective usually applies when you're viewing an object from either bird's eye view (super high up) or worm's eye view (super low)

Draw your horizon line, and place your vanishing points like you do in two point perspective. Now you're going to place your third point. The lower you place your point the higher the viewer is. The higher the point the lower the viewer is.

You're not going to just be drawing a vertical line to place your object. Instead you're going to be drawing a nifty little line from the brand new vanishing point. You can draw this line at any angle (even vertical) but its has to stem from the third vanishing point. Then you will draw additional lines, stemming from the new vanishing point, on either side of your first line to define the shape of the object.

From there, like in two point perspective, you draw lines from your two vanishing points on the horizon to define the top and bottom edges of the object you're drawing. Then connect that lines opposite at the back.

This guide is probably way more helpful than everything I just said up there =P

Alright thats the conclusion of my tutorial. Perspective isn't something you're going to master immediately. It requires a lot of practice, and a lot of coffee... maybe some cigarettes, but I can't even begin to explain the benefits of mastering perspective. So keep at it!!

PRACTICE

I want everyone to do 5 drawings total. Two in one point perspective, and another two in two point perspective. The last one is your own choice of perspective =P

NO TREES IN bare FIELDS. hehehe I want the subject matter to be based around man-made structures with sharp angles and fun little details. Buildings, houses, powerplants etc

Again make sure your lines are either clean pencils or inks.

PS!!!!

Unless you are a total novice at perspective, I don't expect to see the horizon line (unless its part of your drawing) or the lines connecting to the vanishing point (technically called orthogonal lines but i never remember that and I don't expect anybody else to) in your drawings for the practice =P

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2006, 12:42 PM by Shortfury »
Gotta update my site!! for now ---> http://shortfury.deviantart.com

Re: VCU TO THE THIRD POWAH
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2006, 01:25 PM »
WOOO. MARLAY'S ON FIRE.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2006, 05:31 PM »
well, then.

L0cke owes me a new pair of undies.

i shall do this.

« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2006, 12:09 PM »
I'm working on some city blocks, but I can scan the blocks I have so far so you can see my progress if you want.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2006, 12:40 PM »
That sounds awesome! Go ahead and post your progress ziggy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Ok, well this is the bear bones of it, but it was originally for art class so I can only blame myself for not doing more to it. and also the dirtyness.

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2006, 04:56 PM »
It's a good start. The layout is excellent. You'll want to watch out for your vertical lines though, a lot of them are toppling over, as it were. A small straight edge should fix that problem, and then you'll be fine.

Keep it up!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2006, 05:54 PM »
I agree with what zato said about the verticle lines being off balance, but this is a great start.

James and I have this handy little triangle that we use if we need to put down some verticle lines. If you go to buy one try and find a metal one. I keep breaking the plastic ones and having to rebuy them!! A good investment =P

The one awesome thing about continuing to practice like this is that eventually you won't need to use a ruler. Your brain gains that fun little hand memory. So instead of relying on a ruler, you can start eyeing whether or not something is or isn't verticle, horizontal, in perspective.

I still draw things loopy now and then so its nice to have this technical knowledge in the back of your brain, so you can technically fix whatever doesn't look right to you.

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2006, 06:13 PM »
Alright. I'll get to work right away. I'll post progress here and there, and 3 point perspective still confuses the hell out of me.
I hope my teacher teaches us that tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006, 06:14 PM by Ziggy »

« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2006, 06:48 PM »
A super quick thumbnail, loosely based on one of the above photos. Not exactly what professor Marley asked for, so I hope I don't get in trouble in front of the class!  ^_^

- I forgot how much I really need to practice perspective again!
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2006, 06:57 PM by Elio »

« Reply #10 on: Sep 14, 2006, 07:19 PM »
see elio here is a good example of what happends when perspective is embedded in your brain. You can loosely work around it in a stylish fashion, and make it unique!

I like the little space orb thingy. It better be a space house

gold star karma to elio and ziggy <3

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2006, 01:36 AM »

actually putting things in the right place in relation to the vanishing point to get a desired effect still doesn't quite work in my brain  :huh:
IG - @jat_tattoo_art

« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2006, 10:38 AM »
this is damn good anyway though. The only thing I think you are having trouble with is judging the size of some of the objects. Like that sign near the light pole would be about 5 ft tall =P

When you're having trouble judging the size of objects in your drawing think of what size a human would be in relation to everything else in the picture. Its always good when doing a big perspective drawing like this to draw in a little human to give you height references to other objects. Draw in your little human somewhere in the picture then draw lines from the vanishing point right over the top of his head and the bottom of his feet. You will be able to tell what size the little person would be from any point in the drawing. Its super useful for reference to objects like TVs and Living room furniture etc etc

Really awesome job!! keep em coming =P

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2006, 04:44 PM »
2 one-points, one was random, the other was done at a train station.

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2006, 05:41 PM »
This will help so much it's not even funny.

OMAGAH, I'll be doodlin' right away.

« Reply #15 on: Jun 17, 2007, 10:34 PM »
REVIVAL! (with a recycled drawing, but shhhhhhhhhhh!)

My 2pt perspective assignment
Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn - Gore Vidal

« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2007, 05:33 PM »
Its simple but it works. Good job Koala.
JetSetElio: if anything, being at wizard world almost has nothing to do with co

« Reply #17 on: Jun 28, 2007, 02:40 PM »
Hope this counts...

Boring buildings...

« Reply #18 on: Aug 15, 2007, 08:07 AM »
This looks like an awesome tut, but some of the images are missing from the two-point perspective. I don't know if it's just me.

Can anyone confirm?
No... no... It's all within acceptable parameters...
- Famous last words

« Reply #19 on: Aug 17, 2007, 09:19 AM »

Same prob...
And I *know* they were there before. I remember.

« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2007, 02:33 PM »
A lot of the prespective images can be seen here:
http://www.sanford-artedventures.com/main.taf?p=1,33

Curiously, they're listed under 8th Grade lesson plans
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #21 on: Oct 27, 2007, 10:51 PM »
Time to dip into perspective. Ill get on this and submit something soon. Impressive shit all around. Is it all so simple as to simply follow guidelines?

Well, Not bad for a first try? heh... *slinks away*
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2007, 07:59 PM by Vagabond »

« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2007, 05:55 AM »
also something to remember that my oil painting teacher taught me once was that, that technique is great and all, but it's not a be all and end all you need to still judge by your own eye, following the exact lines aren't going to give you a realistic look, because in reality nothing is made in straight lines.  the earth is curved and buildings and people are different sizes and on different a axis from each other ... like everything in visual mediums it's just a guide.  So don't get too comfortable just relying on those vanishing points, it's not a complete answer!
Jo Momma Got Sooooo Fat She Drowned In Her Own... Fat.

« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2007, 07:09 AM »
Okay this is mostly one-point. The tiles look that way because I didn't draw them in first.

« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2007, 11:33 AM »
the closet doesn't seem to fit the perspective vs. the stairs. colors are nice though

-J

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - May 06, 2024, 08:07 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

78 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 189.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us