Robot Face's Misadventures in Art

Robot Face's Misadventures in Art
« on: Sep 01, 2016, 02:15 PM »
Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcome! I guess I should stick some of my attempts at art here before I even decide on what to work on for submitting. Pretty much no one has seen my art so my only feedback is my inner critic telling me it sucks so go easy on my fragile, squishy feelings, but at the same time please rip into my art and tell me what to work on.

These are some pages from a practice comic I've worked on to see if I can actually make something that I'm relatively happy with. I'm ok with how the last page turned out but I now know that I probably need to work on managing space better, alongside a sea of other things. There's also some inconsistencies but this was all for experimentation anyway.

(I'm not sure if the high resolution will screw things up so have a link)

http://sta.sh/2ow9x7umazu

I have zero faith in my ability to even make something like that on a short deadline, but hopefully i'll eventually speed up and manage my time better.
Initially I was going to submit the 'face' of robot face in the incubator but i'll keep her out of void city for the time being.

I'll probably submit these two, the guitarists of my currently non-existent(ish) electro-punk-rock alias (having 3 aliases and 8 characters is probably biting off way more than I can chew, but i'll try anyway), mostly because they're more likely to get into a fight and I need an excuse to practice weird, dynamic poses. Here's a quick little doodle of them for now.

And finally I guess i'll post a sketch of album art for a release I have finished and ready for release. I'm still kind of on the ideas stage at the moment. I'm not sure if I can get something good enough for a final cover and press release finished myself so if anyone knows of someone much better than me that I can commission then i'll probably consider that!

Oh and since a certain someone else has posted music here too, here's a link to all of my weird noises: https://soundcloud.com/robot-face

I'll probably hop into the discord chat sometime and be more sociable, and I look forward to doing the whole art thing with people!

Re: Robot Face's Misadventures in Art
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2016, 08:24 AM »
That comic is pretty good dude! It looks like you have a pretty good grasp on comic drawing, and your anatomy is pretty good and your style is cute. Here's some in-depth thoughts on how you could improve on this:

Page 1:
You kind of go back and forth between these clean lines and sketchy lines. Clean is looking a lot better, and you should stay consistent. The second to last panel took me a while to understand. Maybe zooming out to show more of the hand would have been helpful.
The little titles that introduce the characters don't stand out enough compared to the text bubbles. They just seem to blend in. And I'm wondering if the speech bubbles would look better with black outlines instead of grey? With this first page, you lack a successful establishing shot. At first I thought they were inside, but maybe they are on a roof? Set up the story by first telling the reader where it's taking place.

page 2:
Looking a lot cleaner than page 1. I really like the strong shadows, but I feel like the color is a little washed out. I have an issue with the second panel. I FORGET THE TERM FOR IT, but something you need to watch out for in comics in making sure your lines in your panels don't mimic the look on the panel dividers.

That nothingness kind of mimics the shape of the panels, so its a little confusing at first. Same with that line on the right. What's it there for? I like that you're doing interesting things with panel shapes and drawing backgrounds, but watch out that you don't end up with awkward spaces like that.

page 3:
Whoa that text is just out of control, it makes me not want to read it. You had a good perspective attempt, but you need to take the size of objects into account when you draw perspective. I can see that you're attempting it, but you should adjust so that the room doesn't look huge. It looks like some of your lines go back to the vanishing point, but others don't.

But, don't worry, it's a common issue http://entervoid.com/index.php?topic=10652.0

Hope that helps! We've also got some more tutorials here: http://entervoid.com/index.php?board=25.0

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2016, 08:43 AM »
this one would probably be most helpful for that last panel:

http://www.totallylamerobot.com/void/horizonposition.jpg

« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2016, 12:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! I've never really been taught by anyone how to draw and still have tonnes to learn but with enough time and practice I'll hopefully work stuff out. The comic did have pretty bad planning and I do tend to mess up the perspective a lot, but i'll go over those tutorials and practice for next time.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 28, 2024, 08:40 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

111 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 143.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us