BEFORE-N-AFTER

BEFORE-N-AFTER
« on: Aug 25, 2015, 12:05 PM »
GOD POSTING THIS IS TERRIFYING like my before is actually shocking and not even long ago enough for me to feel ok about how bad it is.

YOU ALL HAVE TO POST YOUR GROSS OLD WORK NOW. i mean show off to everyone how much you've improved!!!! : D

Heres the template i used but feel free to do whateverrrrr: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_coOzjwbArRUzRBaVNMWlBiSW8/view?usp=sharing

edit:fuck i keep fucking up now the dates are gone fuck this it's my dumb baby bed time the first one was like may2011 and obvs the last one is 2015 ZZZZ
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015, 12:31 PM by Pocketmouse »

Re: BEFORE-N-AFTER
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2015, 03:09 PM »
as long as we're bein embarrassing

the first thing I ever did with Charlotte Gray was the last thing I did before I joined Void. I wanna say, late fall 2011. I made her for an OCT on Deviantart and then said "that was fun I want to do more" and more I did do. Heres 2 pages stuck together from one of the battles I did:

And 2 pages of my most recent Gray battle (Im prolly cheating by picking 2 but i couldn't decide between these)

I had 4 weeks to do the DA comic and managed 12 pages without any ink or paint and that was a HUGE accomplishment for me. Vs Hunter I did 15 pages in the same amount of time, full colour. I will grant to Younger Me though that I did have both work and school at the time- but also I distinctly recall working on that comic during both.
So for improvement I can definitely say time management. Also ink and paint, you cant see it here but I was terrible at those.
I wanted to say I've also improved in showing the background sometimes but thatsssssss kinda hard to tell in my recent examples.
....huh looking twice Im not sure I've made any leaps at all in 4 years. I HAVE LEARNED NOTHING.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2015, 05:03 PM »
I don't have anything terribly recent Void wise, but I do have some web comic stuff I've been slowly chipping away at. Before is from the intro, after is from the web comic.

Because the site resizes the image, here's the full thing http://i.imgur.com/tLdmAc6.jpg
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2015, 06:02 PM »
looking back I've always been drawing the same kind of stuff, large scale, grandoise scenes. Now I'm just better at making them, but it looks like i've neglected other aspects of my art (LIKE COLORING FOR EXAMPLE?)

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015, 06:04 PM by Choleric »

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2015, 07:33 PM »

From the left is from the Nutty vs. Nowhere Boy battle, my second battle on this site, back in January 2006. It also demonstrates using the airbrush tool in a bad way.
The right one is from a Kirby comic I did for a Kirby fanzine. It also demonstrates using the airbrush tool in a good way.

Before Void, I knew nothing about drawing comics. I remember having a tough time trying to draw things inside panels back when I was using Photoshop as my primary drawing program. Apparently, I had this fondness of using Photoshop's god-awful airbrush tool for shading, shadowing, and lighting for the comics yet to come (it shows in Nutty's intro comic and completely shows in the Nowhere Boy battle), as well as line-less backgrounds drawn using the polygonal lasso tool, and the use of gradients. The reason for those was so I could try to mimic that of 2D-animated Disney films (including the soft-shading they use on their characters), but in the end it was poorly executed and it just looks like a 12-year-old just discovered Photoshop.

It wasn't until 2007 when I discovered Manga Studio 3; the inking system was far beyond better than Photoshop's default brushes, it had perspective rulers, shape rulers, AND it had a comic panel system that was easy to use! The only catch was there was no coloring; the program itself was made for manga-drawing only. I would later discover IllustStudio the next two years, made also from the same company, Celsys. That program was made for painting illustrations just like Photoshop and SAI, while drawing is very similar to that of MS, but it had no panel-making features like that program did. Because of that, I had to use IllustStudio and Manga Studio simultaneously to make comics with (because they both share the same main file formats CPG and CST), up until the release of their successor Clip Studio Paint in 2012. CSP is now my primary drawing program for comics, drawings, sketches, etc. and I never want to let go of it.

Not only did I change the way I draw comics, but my art style started to change over the years as well; with cleaner, thicker lineart and improving anatomy. This changing art style begun to change the way I draw my characters as well. Dolly for example, as I felt she changed the most out of all of my characters in Void.

She went from looking like this....

....to this......

.....in the course of 9 years.
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015, 08:02 PM by King Garon of Nohr »

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2015, 08:15 PM »

Eugh.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:26 PM »
crei

On the left is the 2nd page of my super old webcomic... and then three tournaments later, look at me now! I've definitely learned so much. I used to take one entire week to draw one page and hated drawing basic things like hands and backgrounds.

My figures have gotten more relaxed too, look at Shift in the span of two years:

EDIT: oh wait I got confused by the wording is it "before entervoid and after entervoid" or "before and after DURING entervoid"?? haha I'll update the picture with one of my onion battles later if it's the case
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015, 10:05 PM by Evi »

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2015, 09:57 PM »
Evi be honest with yourself, you still hate drawing backgrounds hahaha.

2007 horrible things: http://mistermints.deviantart.com/art/Street-Beat-comic-preview-52118298

compiled them both into the template now that I'm more awake. First Void comic vs Jane Blonde and King of Void, round 2 vs Merrick Sanderson!

I had no idea how to fill space, I barely left myself time to clean up the sketch let alone ink and use an eraser.  When I first started I was so proud to just get the story down on paper and now I'm trying to go as crazy as I can with details and backgrounds and NPCs. That first picture from 2007 took me about two weeks to make.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2015, 06:47 AM by Minteh »

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2015, 10:34 PM »
Evi be honest with yourself, you still hate drawing backgrounds hahaha.
I HATE THEM LESS OKAy

Also i just wanna add its so awesome seeing how much we've improved! Looking forward to see everone else's :D

« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2015, 11:08 PM »
First page I ever ever did:

and latest coloured one:
If I dream of impossible, should I forget it?

« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Wowsers dudes look at how much you've all improved.  This is incredible!!!!!  *v*

« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2015, 05:26 AM »
Oh man, I WISH I had my first drawings of Ancelin (she was in the Incubator for a while before she even got accepted)! This thread is rad and I love how much people have improved (YES EVEN YOU SHEN DON'T TRY TO TELL ME YOU HAVEN'T >:I ). I hope everyone is posting these to dA/Tumblr/Instagram/whatever and linking to VOID so all your awesome friends will come here!

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 28, 2024, 08:40 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

166 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 189.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us