Play it again, Bobo (Introducing VOID Playlists)

Play it again, Bobo (Introducing VOID Playlists)
« on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:15 PM »
PLAYLISTS PLAYLISTS PLAYLISTS PLAYLISTS PLAYLISTS PLAYLISTS PLAYLISTSThe time has come, brothers and sisters, for the almighty playlist to make its appearance on VOID!

If you've used YouTube playlists, the idea behind VOID playlists is the same. Make a playlist, add a bunch of comics to it, order them as you please, and share them with others (unless you want to keep them private). We have some features planned for the future, including:
  • Playlist thumbnail/banner images
  • The ability to favorite/bookmark other people's playlists

So first, go to http://entervoid.com/index.php?action=playlists to check out some of the dummy playlists the mods have been playing around with and check out what kinda stuff you can do. Then, feel free to create a new playlist at http://entervoid.com/index.php?action=manager;sa=myplaylists.

You can then add comics to your playlist by going to the page of the comic you want to add, looking for the box that says "Add comic to playlist..." and selecting the playlist you want to add your comic to. You can even make a new playlist from here, although you'll need to go to the My Playlists page to rename the New Playlist. Once you've selected your playlist, hit the "Add" button, and that's it! Just keep on finding comics you like and add them to your playlists to your heart's content.

So have fun, and let me know of all of the "accidental features" (AKA bugs) you find! We hope this will provide a way for newcomers to find comics that we should really be reading every day, as well as answering questions like "Why is Void City all blown up now?"
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2013, 03:26 PM by Bobo »

Re: Play it again, Bobo (Introducing VOID Playlists)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Yo dude.

How can we access this feature outside the thread?
STILL spoken about in disgraceful social circles

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Changing the order of comics doesn't actually seem to update the order after being saved.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:30 PM »
I'm working on adding menu items (it's really annoying how the site menu is set up), but I've added a link to the Manager Page to manage your playlists.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Also, this is really bare-bones and pretty much just to test it out.

This is going to be a great way to organize things like tournaments, storylines or story arcs, or your favorite deathmatches, colored comics, funniest comics, etc.

They can really be used in a lot of ways, so please test it out!

I promise I will make it super pretty later after we work the bugs out.

Here's my original pitch and some concept pics.

Comic playlists would be just like music playlists. Users can add their own playlists from "My favorite battles" to "The best color comics" to "My character's storyline".

Features of Playlists I'd like to see:
Favorites
Public favorites so people could also discover new comics by wondering what so-and-so likes.

Comments
A comments section where you would be able to comment on the collection as a whole.

Tags
I like how some site have a sort of suggested tags thing that pops up when you start typing. That way we would get more uniform tags such as "old school" "tournament" "scar match" "Black and White" "comedy" etc.
You would also be able to search by Tags.

Social Media
If you want to share a playlist on a social media site, there's some easy little share buttons.

Playlist Photos
Users would be able to upload a thumbnail for their playlist. There would also be a default icon for playlists if no images are uploaded.

Main Playlists page:

Individual Playlists page:

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:32 PM »
Changing the order of comics doesn't actually seem to update the order after being saved.
Does it work now?

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Nope! Still can't get the Winter playlist in order.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:50 PM »
BOBO, YOU SEXY CODE MONKEY!!! THIS SHIT IS AWESOME!!! I can finally create a Favorites playlist!
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Ahhhh I can't believe it's real and people are making playlists omgimdying.
I can't wait to look at all of the playlists!!
Bobo makes dreams come truuuueeee~

« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2013, 04:14 PM »
This is pretty cool!
Maybe the fact that I'm sent to 'my playlists' page after adding a comic is a bit annoying. It's not the most efficient when looking up comics to add. I wound up with a bunch of tabs all open on the same page. At least if it were the page of the specific playlist, it could have use, as you could rearange things, but the 'my playlist' page isn't very useful to go to. Also for the future, I like Red's proposition, but maybe instead of 'newest playlist' it could be 'most recently updated'? Because unlike comics, these are likely to change over time.

But yeah, hooray for Bobo!
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2013, 04:20 PM by LeFred »
"I knew when I sighned up for Void years ago, Someday I'm going to prison for this site"  - Mister Kent, words to live by

« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2013, 04:20 PM »
Thanks, LeFred! I'll have to look into the best way to redirect you after you add a comic.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2013, 07:02 PM »
this is brilliant and I am going to play with it later and I am going to read all of everyones playlists and it is going to be awesome because this is awesome

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2013, 07:28 PM »
  Between this and the Random Comic button, I think I'm gonna end up reading like every comic on void. This is great dudes, and that playlist UI concept stuff looks slick.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:23 PM »
So, since we're already comment/critiquing individual comics, it would seem playlists might also help facilitate the commenting on entire story arcs as well?

(adding commenting ability to an entire playlist optional but potentially problematic, since we can delete playlists at will as well)

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:35 PM »
So, since we're already comment/critiquing individual comics, it would seem playlists might also help facilitate the commenting on entire story arcs as well?

(adding commenting ability to an entire playlist optional but potentially problematic, since we can delete playlists at will as well)

If you scroll up a bit to my post, there's a list of features we are going to add, and commenting is one of them. I imagine it will be just like commenting on battles. You will also be able to favorite playlists :)

As for deleting them, I don't think that will be a huge issue with the commenting. Critiquing will probably still remain on individual comics, and comments on the playlists will be more of "cool, I really like this" sort of thing, I think.

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - May 10, 2024, 04:07 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

206 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 200.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us