The 2012 Void Invitational Tournament! ROUND 3 IS UP!

Re: The 2012 Void Invitational Tournament! ROUND 1 IS UP!
« Reply #200 on: Apr 07, 2012, 09:01 AM »
And hey. FUN. That's what the website is about, right? Having FUN?

Scrabble is also fun. But, it's not cool to have a dictionary under the table.

I'm not saying a newbie could never beat a vet, but the entire point of the tournament is welcoming the new kids, and in void terms you're a crusty old geezer lol.

Everyone says "oh, we will just have to beat the vet!" But, what if you knock someone out of the tournament that they had every right to be in, while you had zero right to be there?

I don't want to get into ye-olde-what-Void-is-for-arguement, I just wanted to say that.

« Reply #201 on: Apr 07, 2012, 09:35 AM »
I appreciate the openness about the veterans thing. It's great that you all strive to be honest about this type of thing, and I'd like to give my honest newbie opinion about it.

Overall, I believe that this is a contest of skill. Just because some one is a vet of this site doesn't necessarily mean they are going to produce better work than a newbie here. Vets have just as much chance of loosing/winning as the newbies do.

However, there may be one advantage that the vets have. There are going to be 25 battles that are going to be posted at once. I really don't believe that there is going to be a lot of people that are going to read and vote on all 50 comics. The vets have the name recognition and connections here that may drive more people to read/vote on their battle, and skip others. I really don't know if this gives them any advantage to actually winning, but it may be disheartening for a newbie to see one battle get a slug of comments and votes while theirs did not. Heck, some newbies might have some large connections here already, so maybe this point is moot.

As long as this wasn't a limited entry tourney and a newbie didn't lose their potential spot to a vet, I don't think this is a terribly huge deal. Although I do think it is nice to know if we are battling a Void veteran or not, just to gives us a little idea of who we are up against. c:

Haha, I love the cut of your jib!

Anyway, I think everyone SHOULD read all the comics and vote on them. It's part of what makes this site, this site. If you feel up to it, you should critique some of them too, or just let someone know why you liked their comic.

Honestly, if everyone in this tournament voted on all the fights, each fight would have 50 votes on them, which is akin to how many votes we had normally when we were really active!

People might have fans and friends, but that isn't gonna overwhelm 50 people voting on their free accord.

So yeah, read them comics and vote. The people in the tournament didn't make them not to be read.

Void is whatever you make of it, but it's nothing without you guys making comics, reading comics, voting on comics, and critiquing comics!

« Reply #202 on: Apr 07, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Rest assured fellla's, fellay's and other, I have made it a personal mission to read, vote and comment on every comic that this invitational produces.

Hopefully I won't be the only one doing that.
STILL spoken about in disgraceful social circles

« Reply #203 on: Apr 07, 2012, 10:40 AM »
And hey. FUN. That's what the website is about, right? Having FUN?

I'm not saying a newbie could never beat a vet, but the entire point of the tournament is welcoming the new kids, and in void terms you're a crusty old geezer lol.

Everyone says "oh, we will just have to beat the vet!" But, what if you knock someone out of the tournament that they had every right to be in, while you had zero right to be there?

I don't want to get into ye-olde-what-Void-is-for-arguement, I just wanted to say that.

See, I understand this. The artist is the vet, the writer and character creator are the newbie in this case. It would be the same as if EvilEye/Rofl won.

Also, if the entire point of the tourney is to bring in new people, then why does it allow for older artists to join if they don't have living characters? They're not new. Pi is in the tournament, and he's been around longer than I have. (not that I'm saying anything bad about Pi, just using him as an example. I love the guy)

Also, Space-aged, that was a big concern of mine when doing this. I wasn't going to do it if there was finite amount of spots in the tourney.

Regardless, me typing this out and making this points does not mean I'm not sorry. I am.

« Reply #204 on: Apr 07, 2012, 11:14 AM »
It would be the same as if EvilEye/Rofl won.
No, because they didn't lie about being two people.

Also, if the entire point of the tourney is to bring in new people, then why does it allow for older artists to join if they don't have living characters?
It's to encourage cool people like Pi that don't have a character to get off their butts and make one, as well as get new folks. You have a character, Pi does not. I think everyone knows what the tournament is about.

Regardless, me typing this out and making this points does not mean I'm not sorry. I am.
So, you're sorry .... but in the same breath you try to justify what happened.

Okee dokee, I really don't want to argue this ... it will get nowhere honestly.

« Reply #205 on: Apr 07, 2012, 11:18 AM »
qyz, i was concerned about this as well. i think in future iterations of the tournament it would be best to remove any and all older members from the talent pool, and keep it to strictly new people. it would be easier on everyone.

« Reply #206 on: Apr 07, 2012, 11:43 AM »
Hmmm...

I just find all this a bit disheartening is all. This inner turmoil on the site. It just gives the impression of a fractures online community, which I really hope it is not.

I just signed up the Tournament to do the best I can do, and hopefully improve and develop with the relentless regime of one week battles, and I'm sure all the other noobs did too. Not too bothered about where I come, just that I wouldn't wanna get knocked out by someone who is very familiar with the site and the process who is just doing it for the sake of 'Being the best'. Because that would affect all of our opportunities to develop.

Might get booted off this week anyway lol, but who knows?

So ye, this has just got me a little unnerved and anxious. Ah whatever... on we go.

« Reply #207 on: Apr 07, 2012, 11:46 AM »
qyz, i was concerned about this as well. i think in future iterations of the tournament it would be best to remove any and all older members from the talent pool, and keep it to strictly new people. it would be easier on everyone.

I don't entirely agree on not allowing old members with all dead characters. We brought back like 6 people doing that. This is basically an isolated incident. We shouldn't be upset that people who may not have come back are back and making comics.

And don't get disheartened Joe. Everyone here uses the site for different reasons. Remember, your experience on the site isn't over when the tournament is done. Seek out more opponents, some may even seek you out. And I don't think Qyz intended to enter to "Be the best." Relax, make comics. (I'm looking forward to yours.)

« Reply #208 on: Apr 07, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Thanks. Ye, I don't know what anyone 'intends' don't matter anyway. Everyone obviously wants to do well.

Just gotta get on with it. I got some colouring to do! :D

« Reply #209 on: Apr 07, 2012, 12:16 PM »
I hadn't drawn a comic on Void for about half a year before this, and I came back to draw comics for/with my friend, for a site that was pretty much dying.

Could I have simply drawn comics with my character? Of course, but I didn't. Instead I went and worked with my friend to bring in his character, and to do so, I did it in a sneaky way. Either way, still drawing comics.

And Hiemie's right. I'm not trying to 'be the best', I'm just trying to have fun and draw some cool comics.

I equate it to a kid lighting things on fire. I'm doing it to have fun, but I shouldn't be starting fires, either.

« Reply #210 on: Apr 07, 2012, 12:23 PM »
Drama happened without me around?

GUYS I'M DISAPPOINTED YOU GOTTA WAIT UNTIL I'M AROUND

But in all seriousness it looks like while there's some worry about "veterans" on void kicking the asses of po' new kids, keep in mind that some of these guys that I brought over are considered "veterans" as well--on the Deviantart OCT (Original Comic Tournament) Circuit.

Even though the Deviantart OCT Circuit is considered pretty low-tier compared to Void (for good reason), it's clear that these guys are willing to bring their a-game and bring some comics.

I'm glad lots of people came to Void, since the OCT circuit is becoming a horrible, cliquish place that's more about what your character did on some roleplay on Tumblr and less about, y'know, COMICS and ART and GETTING BETTER and BEING AWESOME.

Void's awesome, y'guys. We're not worried. I'm not an admin or an older member so I might be outta line saying this, but it might be a good idea for Wei/Orange/Qyz/Everyone involved to take this to PM or Email or MSN? I KNOW void's not the "fractured bickering group" that Joe thinks it is. We're better then that.

« Reply #211 on: Apr 07, 2012, 12:44 PM »
I'm not sure where my opinion falls into this since I'm both a member that's been around literally forever (but never done comics before) and one of the people sort of not really being put on the cutting board here.

But I don't really feel like a witchhunt is necessary.  I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I got a tinge of that vibe from some of the posts; a feeling that people were being encouraged to post opinions, but opinions that fall within a certain measure are most desired.  Such as, y'know, dislikin' on some Qyzex or maybe even saying that you were tremendously offended and want him banned.  I even got kind of a vibe early on that I shouldn't be in the tournament, and am a not exactly welcome but tolerated and officialized glitch.  That all may be reading into it a bit much though, but this is the impression that is being given sometimes.

Posting the information up was good.  Don't get me wrong there.  And yeah, sneaking in on the underhand was bad form from Qyzex.  But, frankly, the fact that his friend is writing the comics (not sure if Leech does all the writing ala me and Rofl or what but I'm gonna assume that's the case) does change it a lot for me.  Muddy foundations be damned. 

I don't know.  I think the fact that Qyzex has apologized makes a difference.  DQing him (or rather, him and Leech) and bumping his opponent forward would just jank up the tournament's balance and probably make the opponent feel cheap and used up and sad about their first void win in a high-action tourney being a forced default.  Why not aim for restitution; accept his apology, set him up with Leech so that it's all aboveboard (which it should have been from the beginning, once again I am hardly denying that), and move forward with no hard feelings all around the circle? 

If that's what we're aiming for here, it's not exactly the vibe I'm getting.  Maybe the information should've just posted in an exhaustive format as a locked topic or something, I don't know.

Hope I didn't tread on any toes there.  Just tossing up my nickel and dime.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2012, 12:46 PM by Evil Eye »

« Reply #212 on: Apr 07, 2012, 01:10 PM »
But I don't really feel like a witchhunt is necessary.  I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I got a tinge of that vibe from some of the posts; a feeling that people were being encouraged to post opinions, but opinions that fall within a certain measure are most desired.  Such as, y'know, dislikin' on some Qyzex or maybe even saying that you were tremendously offended and want him banned.  I even got kind of a vibe early on that I shouldn't be in the tournament, and am a not exactly welcome but tolerated and officialized glitch.  That all may be reading into it a bit much though, but this is the impression that is being given sometimes.

You are more than welcome here. You and everyone else who dared join our community. I realize that Void can be a big, intimidating place for newcomers (it sure as hell was for me when I joined back in '03), but what we really are trying to do is show that we DO care. We DO want you here. And we most certainly do NOT want to make you feel disheartened in any way.

What happened was a fluke. None of the mods had faced this challenge before, and with a sudden surge of newcomers, we wanted to make sure we could handle it in the best possible way. The "best possible way" isn't always good, per say, but it's what we can do within our limits. Gotta make mistakes before you can improve. :]

I want to take a moment to thank every one of you who joined the Invitational, and further thank you for remaining calm and level headed. You are a fantastic group and I know that everyone in our community hopes you stick around. Void is a wonderful place to learn and grow as an artist, and also meet some great people.

Also, do not be afraid to voice your opinion on this topic or any future topics, no matter what stance you take. Everyone should be heard with an open ear and an open mind. We aren't going to dislike anyone for their point of view (unless you're like, a nazi or something then idk that's kinda not cool). So speak up, let us hear you, and don't ever think we wouldn't want you around. Our members are what drive this site. Without you, we've got nothing.

Keep rockin' it and DRAW MORE COMICS!

« Reply #213 on: Apr 07, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I guess it just gave me a bit of a bad vibe when it was being stressed that Rofl and I are fine or didn't do anything wrong or whatever, and then in the same breath being portrayed as something that needed to be apologized for.

« Reply #214 on: Apr 07, 2012, 01:26 PM »
I guess it just gave me a bit of a bad vibe when it was being stressed that Rofl and I are fine or didn't do anything wrong or whatever, and then in the same breath being portrayed as something that needed to be apologized for.

We're not so much apologizing for you, as making sure everyone in the Tournament is completely clear about what's happening. You and Rofl were given the go-ahead, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with you guys. :]

« Reply #215 on: Apr 07, 2012, 02:08 PM »

If you get booted off this week, it's all good! Your character survives the tournament.
Challenge someone the next day.

I have the rare advantage of understanding my imminent loss, but he last time I had my hindquarters handed to me on this site I buried my head in the sand for two years. To keep that from happening again, I went ahead and asked another competitor if they'd be interested in battling as soon as they had an opening.

Is there a character on the site you want to take a swing at? Get in touch with the artist!

Heimie, as one of those returning artists I appreciate your comment. I'm really, really glad the invitational opened up.
As for the scandal, it isn't affecting me, so I'm not sure I'm worried about it. If it was affecting me, I'd probably be all excited about tangling with a known name.

« Reply #216 on: Apr 07, 2012, 02:25 PM »
If you ever want to battle me, J., hit me up sometime. I was a fan of yours when you first came in :D

« Reply #217 on: Apr 07, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Hmmm...

I just find all this a bit disheartening is all. This inner turmoil on the site. It just gives the impression of a fractures online community, which I really hope it is not.

I just signed up the Tournament to do the best I can do, and hopefully improve and develop with the relentless regime of one week battles, and I'm sure all the other noobs did too. Not too bothered about where I come, just that I wouldn't wanna get knocked out by someone who is very familiar with the site and the process who is just doing it for the sake of 'Being the best'. Because that would affect all of our opportunities to develop.

So ye, this has just got me a little unnerved and anxious. Ah whatever... on we go.

I would assure you that among the 'list of offenders', there's really no guarantee we'll win. Void has a ton of examples of sure winners losing and vice versa. No one who signed up for this is trying to 'be the best', because there's nothing to really be proved. The entire purpose of this tournament is to bring in new and active people like yourself and to help the site grow and blossom with new life.

I'm sorry you had to get caught up and had to read about all this ugliness, but I assure you, this site is absolutely not fractured. Some of us may disagree on certain things regarding the site, but in the end, we all want what is best for it. Some of us just have different opinions of what that is and some of us butt heads a bit when it comes to it.

Also we still love you, so don't worry.

ANYWAYS, TWO MORE DAYS! BIG EASTER LUCK FOR YOUR FINAL DAY OF DRAWING, EVERYONE!

« Reply #218 on: Apr 07, 2012, 03:00 PM »
Qyz, you're a peach. I presume you were a fan of my good looks and excellent fashion sense, because I just looked at my old SDT submission. ;)
Absolutely, I want to tangle with you. I hear it's been a while since you've produced much in the way of comics? Damn shame! Let's change that as aggressively as possible.

« Reply #219 on: Apr 07, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Don't worry everyone, I can tell from all your replies to me, and also your general praise of Void that its a good place. :D

I just thought as some were telling noobs to voice their opinions that I would give an honest account of my feelings over the matter. Just thought it would be good for you guys to have that opinion. You've changed it anyway.

I will deffinitely be wanting to do some battles in the future. I've really enjoyed drawing my comic this week. First one I've ever made and it just makes so much sense to do it. I can tell with every new thing I'm drawing I'm getting better and more efficient aswell. I've literally spent every waking hour at it. Colouring though, can't get my head around that... it'll deffinitely be my downfall...

ANother Good luck to everyone else as well! :)

« Reply #220 on: Apr 07, 2012, 03:42 PM »
I just wish the comics were up already because i'm SO looking forward to them.

« Reply #221 on: Apr 07, 2012, 05:15 PM »
Also, yeah, file me under "gonna try to read and vote on errthang".  I'll probably miss a lot on the first round because finals and stuff, but second round I'll be all up in your business.  Whether you like it or not.

« Reply #222 on: Apr 07, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Colouring though, can't get my head around that... it'll deffinitely be my downfall...

If you ever need help with coloring, don't be afraid to hit me up! I color comics as a career these days and am always willing to help Voiders out with tips and crits. If I'm not too busy I take people into ustream and such. The same goes for anyone else.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #223 on: Apr 07, 2012, 07:15 PM »
IN ADDITION TO THE INFORMATION IN THE LINKS PROVIDED PREVIOUSLY IT IS VERY VERY HELPFUL FOR PEOPLE TO POST IN COMMENTS FOR MATCH THAT THEY HAVE COMPLETED THE UPLOADS OF THEIR COMIC _ ESPECIALLY YOU CRAFTY BEGGARS THAT UPLOAD IN SECTIONS
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #224 on: Apr 07, 2012, 08:05 PM »
I just wish the comics were up already because i'm SO looking forward to them.

I'm so looking forward to you DRAWING SOMETHING.

Enef. Get to work.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 28, 2024, 08:40 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

194 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 283.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us