VOID Monthly Artist Showcase: June

Poll

Whose Alien Knight kicked more wizard butt?

Mystery Artist A
0 (0%)
Mystery Artist B
0 (0%)
Mystery Artist C
22 (66.7%)
Mystery Artist D
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: Jul 01, 2011, 06:10 AM

VOID Monthly Artist Showcase: June
« on: Jun 01, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Last Months MAS Jam can be found here; http://entervoid.com/board/index.php?topic=11653.0

Just as before this will work as follows; an original character design will be presented. Character Designs will consist of either a turnaround image or front and rear view images (at least one must be in colour) and a short biography.

Artist Entries will consist of a pin-up  or splash page containing the monthly character design. Entries will(hopefully) be submitted to me by e-mail before the deadline. DON"T POST THE ENTRIES HERE.....E_MAIL THEM.
Images should be within 800 pixels x 800 pixels or thereabouts for proper viewing on the forums.

AS WITH ALL ART JAMS THIS IS OPEN TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS

These entries will be posted in the thread by me after the Deadline and forum viewers will be able to vote by poll on their favorite along with any comments.

The winner each month will then be asked to submit their own original design for the following month.

weiingnan@gmail.com
THIS MONTHS DEADLINE IS June 23....all entries must be in my E-mail before this date.
VOTING WILL BEGIN ON June 24 and the Winner will be announced on July 1

The Winner will then have until July 8 to Submit their new original character design.
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2011, 02:34 PM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

Re: VOID Monthly Artist Showcase: June
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2011, 02:32 PM »
VOID M.A.S. June 2011
character design submitted by noir0083

Name: Feather Knight (pending)
Bio: In a final battle to protect her world and kingdom from doom she banded together with the other kings knights to stop the invasion of the kingdom. Before battle she was approached by the kings wizard who sent Feather Knight across dimensions to the parallel world of Earth. She believes the Wizard has betrayed the Kingdom by sending her against her will to this unknown world and technologies. She then discovers the her enemy is alien to her planet and seeks out its origins on Earth. Feather Knight must now learn the truth and find her way back home in time to save both worlds from this threat.

ARTIST SUBMISSIONS

The entries are in and voting will continue until June 30thto decide the winner. The winner will then provide their own original character design for next month.

Please feel encouraged to provide your review of the work and response.

Mystery Artist A

Mystery Artist B

Mystery Artist C

Mystery Artist D
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2011, 06:13 AM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2011, 12:02 PM »
wow~! great stuff noir, this is gonna be super cool!

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2011, 09:42 AM »
theres almost 3 weeks drawing time for this....if last month was any indication I think I can look forward to some awesome stuff

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2011, 02:44 PM »
I'm excited. I can't wait to see what people produce!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2011, 06:12 AM »
Artist Submissions are up.....show some love and vote but more importantly give your response and comments to the Artists

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2011, 06:44 AM »
these are nice.

if i could offer one crit, the pose in B looks odd & off balance. There looks like there's no force in her action.

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2011, 07:31 AM »
I was really torn between C and D; you guys made it tough!

A
One of the things I like so much about Noir's is her youngish and cute face juxtaposed against amor-clad, battle-ready rest of her body.  But the face on yours is a kind of stern, frumpy, disapproving headmistress type of thing.  It's very well drawn and colored, but I'm just not feeling it's the same character.

B
This is good, but I agree with Kuro that the posing is odd.  Beside the weight balancing thing, that's an odd way to the holding the sword too.  From that grip, she's likely be stabbing downward rather than slicing up.

C
This is truly fantastic.  My only complaint, and this is really rather minor, is her eyes look vacant.  It's rendered beautifully, but she looks possessed.

D
Great pose, lots of atmosphere.  I really like this piece.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Artist A: Nice, simple style. I enjoy the soft coloring. :] However, the girl looks kinda... old? I know it's supposed to be her chin, but the length of her face and lowness of her mouth makes it look like her cheeks are sagging. As Toast said, it doesn't look like the same character. But well done in other aspects.

Artist B: Nice attempt at an action scene, those monsters look pretty cool. The fighter looks pretty off pose-wise. I'd suggest making a pose yourself before you attempt to draw it. The way she's holding her sword (and with one hand) would make it very difficult to swing, let alone actually cut into something. For her attack to make any sense, the blade would have to be facing downward and her arm moving down along with it. (I hope I'm making sense, apologies if I sound like a rambling idiot XD) Her left leg looks alright (though the heel should be more firmly planted, bringing the toes up a bit), but her right leg should be more forward than back. She looks like she's going to fall on her side. Nice attempt, though! Keep working at it.

Artist C: Realism isn't one of my strong points, but from what I can tell, this is nicely done. The hatching makes her look soft, yet still battle ready. This almost looks like a military portrait. Perhaps giving her some pupils or other kind of shading to darken the eyes a bit would make them look more lively. Otherwise, really well done. I am especially fond of the details in her hair.

Artist D: I see nothing really wrong with this one, other than it looks pretty rushed overall. The lines on the figure are alright, but the background looks sloppy and thrown together. The coloring is really blotchy. I think this would have been better if you had just toned it or even left it in black and white. So yeah, just gotta put a little more time into the piece. :]

Artist C gets my vote for an overall well executed piece. D was a close second, but the colors threw me off. Nice entries in general, good work!

« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2011, 12:33 PM »
A - the coloring and rendering is fantastic, it's just the face that gives me the creeps. i'm assuming it was intentional to make her more square and masculine looking? i feel like it doesn't really capture the feel of the original character, which to me is what this jam is about.

B - cool stuff, digging the textures and inks. kuro's right though, her line of action is off and it loses a lot of energy that way. her pose suggests she's moving away from the monster instead of toward it, yeah? so it's in conflict with what the sword is doing. if you extend the sword arm or make it swing through, i tihnk you could achieve the effect of striking while moving better.

C - DAMN. this is both faithful and innovative to the design provided. i like that you kept her femininity while still giving her a hard edge; an older woman who's seen some shit. it feels like her eyes are just a little far apart, but the rendering on everything is stunning.

D - very cool stuff, there's a classic pin-up feel to it, like the cover of a book or game. really great colors and composition, as a whole piece i think this is the most complete. the proportions seem a bit off here and there, particularly the size of the arms compared to the torso and legs. the face is coming off a bit flat as well, i think because you haven't really defined her cheekbones or skull shape in the near profile of her head.

great stuff from everyone, this is some awesome work!

« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Holy crap! Quality over quantity this round! I'm impressed with your jams everyone ^^

« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Really lovin' C. Has a great woodcut style going on, top notch execution on the hatching! I really like the heavy feel of the character in D as well. The chunkiness of the armor really adds a feeling of power.

Great work, everyone!

« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2011, 07:52 AM »
C for Cexiest!
By air

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Wow Awesome Job everyone…

Artist - A
I love your interpretation of our fine heroin… nice solid and clean lines… I like the placement of the helmet and I especially love the freckles on her face… Brilliant.

I would suggest though that beware of the blank background… and perhaps stronger texture on the yellow feather… great job.

Artist – B
Great job, I’m totally caught up in the moment, I like the balance of business between foreground and background….

Her right leg looks like its set on the ground awkwardly and her right arm looks limp and dead not sure if that is what you are going for, and if it is it lacks the bruising or blood to tell the story..

Artist – C
Fantastic piece…. Amazed by the cross hatch and strokes of your pencils….  The look on her face is telling a thousand stories… ones that I’m ready to sit and listen to.

Artist – D
Great energy, and mood in your piece… I’m feeling the tension waiting to see if what or anything is going to burst through the mist.

Good luck every one.
Every day should be an adventure

« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2011, 05:40 AM »
.......and this months winner is Squidman......congratulations Squidman and thank you to all of the other artists that submitted.

Squidman will have until July 8th to submit a new character design for next months M.A.S.

« Reply #15 on: Jul 02, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Congrats and amazing work Mr. Squid!

« Reply #16 on: Jul 02, 2011, 06:34 PM »
congrats, squids!

i'm assuming that it was C, the pencil rendering? it's so different from the stuff i usually see from you, i never would have guessed it was your work, fantastic stuff!

« Reply #17 on: Jul 02, 2011, 07:15 PM »
yes sorry......The winner was Artist C.......Squidman

« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2011, 11:02 AM »
thanks!

« Reply #19 on: Jul 04, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Congratulations Mr.Squidman
By air

« Reply #20 on: Jul 04, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Mister Squidman, you are the MAN.  I wish I had your balls.

« Reply #21 on: Jul 04, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Pumped to see what you pull out for us, Squid. Grats!

« Reply #22 on: Jul 05, 2011, 05:16 PM »
aww, you boys. teehee <3

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 28, 2024, 08:40 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

85 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 154.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us