The Hunter's Bounty (Semi-NSFW)

The Hunter's Bounty (Semi-NSFW)
« on: Jul 01, 2010, 12:08 AM »
Well hey ho everyone. Since I think I will be setting up shop here for sometime I hope I think I will start up a little kiosk right here in GO FOR BROKE!

Right now I just have some drawings that are over flow from my character designs as well as some extra unrelated work but as I post on DA I redirect here. :)

And if you want a much better presentation my DA: http://orionthemuse.deviantart.com/

My character David Birch that I am working on and coming close to finishing (hopefully.) Head shot is subject to change.

Alternative Costume Design

Grot. GROT! Everyone loves Grot! He's cute, cuddly, crush your kids- I mean Hug your kids... ;D

Yes. I do draw women...

More to come as I make more. I could post old stuff but I don't think that would be appropriate or really flattering to my skills at this time. Look at the NOW! learn from the THEN!
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2010, 08:55 AM by Orion »

Re: Orion- The Hunter's Bounty
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2010, 06:16 PM »

Well basically these are a few 5 minute sketches that I did with this little baby.
http://www.pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html

Originally this was on one full piece of paper but.... well it wouldn't fit on the scanner. So snip snip scan and get ride of irregular edges in Photoshop.

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2010, 08:11 AM by Orion »

Re: Orion- The Hunter's Bounty (Semi-NSFW)
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:15 AM »

Well.... some more stuff. Some character related. Using thumbs instead of full because of size. I need to try and put these in a sort of collage in the future.

Any feedback on anything would be great. :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2010, 07:01 PM »
Good designs, your anatomy is getting there, but the main vibe I'm getting is MESSY.  And kinda flat.  It feels like you're still trying to define some shapes/lines even in the "final" sketch.  Try using a light colored colored pencil for your sketching, and when you are happy with it, THEN take a pencil and trace the final sketch.

Also, maybe try working a little bigger.  From the line texture it looks as tho some of these are fairly small.  Working bigger can make it easier to define more detailed areas like the face and hands.

Just my two cents.  Keep it up!  Let's see some more finished pieces!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback man. Just a question I wanted to ask though: I hear that my stuff comes off as a bit flat a lot can you give me an example of that as compared to another piece? It would really be helpful to see what I need to work on.

Also most of these pencils were done in H so I guess I could stand going a little lighter and darkening it up with B or higher. I have been meaning to get the photocopy sensitive pencils but I just never really had the money or idea where to buy them. I guess you are right there is always light colored pencils and a lightbox. :)

Again thanks for the feedback Bearded.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2010, 11:27 AM by Orion »

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:01 AM »
I think a lot of the flatness is cause of the stiff front/back shots.  But those are gonna feel flat anyway...  I think the biggest hurdle is to force yourself to see the figure as shapes, which you're doing well here:

One example I like for anit-flatness is Kid Notorious: http://kidnotorious.deviantart.com/gallery/#Sketchy-Characters
Really simple, clean linework, but the characters have life and fullness.

There's nothing inherently wrong with any of your work, it's just things that will come in time.  Keep pushing dynamic poses and lets see some cleanup on those lines.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2010, 10:03 PM »
:) I am certainly digging this guys line work. Thanks for the link. Well lets hope the next few pics I put up will display some progress.

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2010, 06:48 PM »

Ceiling Fan-Weed Wacker Special  

Well since I submitted my stuff for the Tourney here is a picture of David being crazy awesome.  ::) Oh David...
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2010, 07:20 PM by Orion »

« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2010, 11:08 PM »

Just making the rounds with this one. Good to place it in here.

Leland and all that.

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:08 PM »
are ylou taking any life drawing classes?
your sig is too big! -the management

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:23 PM »
I really need to. There is a club that we have at my college that are suppose to meet once a week. I am not far enough into my classes to life drawing. Only Drawing II.

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:29 PM »
um.. there really isn't a "far enough into," you should probably just go ahead and do it on your own. Head to a mall or something. We were drawing nude models by my 4th or 5th class. Just seems kinda odd to be in drawing 2 and never done life drawing, are you at least drawing fruits and veggies?
your sig is too big! -the management

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Yes, we have done that so far. There are just certain requirements we have for each level of classes. I have to complete Drawing II before I can get life drawing. Though drawing shapes and objects from life seems like a now brainer I guess.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:47 PM »
Take advice from somebody who knows. You can't get ahead by following the course requirements. There are plenty of ways to get life drawing in without taking the actual class. Going to the mall and doing gestures is one way. Getting friends and family to pose for you is another. Even drawing yourself in front of a mirror would help.

Drawing classes are helpful tools, but in the end you're still teaching yourself.

« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:56 PM »
You make a very good point. My Campus is a Walking one and it might not be a bad idea to do that in between classes if I get the chance. I told myself I would take time out to do that during lunch and such but... well... I tend to eat at lunch.

Still I agree with the idea of self-teaching. Even at the place I go now I take a well rounded school over a art specific one. I want to learn well enough by myself and not have to rely on being pushed by others, though that does help in many situations.

Lets see:

Mirror: Check
Friends: Check
People that randomly go by in public: Check

Okay sounds good.

« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Well i am back at school now and about to start a new drawing class and a slew of other goody classes.

Also from that I am working at the Purdue Exponent as a graphic artists again! Yeh!

I am still trying to make comic strips for the paper but I have yet to bring it up and pitch it to my boss, but she is open to the idea.

Anyway here is my first graphic of the year. Its flatted but I ran out of time and could shade it. I think it would have benefited from it but oh well.

Its for an article about the stepping up of carding at bars and convenience stores for alcohol.

« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2010, 10:13 PM »
Also this may not count as a drawing but it is very important to my comic making abilities. :)

This is my Comic Strip Machine:

I made this so I can make comics strips faster and with less apprehension about measuring the panels and get right to the content which is what most comics strips are about whether the punchline, words of wisdom or just a scene displaying wonder of mundane life I want to get that as quick as possible without all the mucky muck. Of course I will play with the panels as I go on but for now this will do.

This will be for rough sketches and ideas that I can just get out of my mind and onto paper.

Also, this will be a way for me to get a little extra money as I am going to make comic strips for my university's student newspaper and this will help enormously in that endeavor.

And I could even use this to make mini comic strips for my character and other little stories I have. So Fun All Around!

Can't wait to go to sleep and be able to use it when I wake up. :)
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2010, 10:18 PM by Orion »

« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2010, 10:55 PM »
I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, but it looks pretty neat

« Reply #18 on: Aug 25, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Here is some text to explain the whole thing:

Hope it helps.

(edit: I am having trouble resizing this pic. It keeps going off the boarder and photobucket is not being reasonable.)

(edit: Erm... it seems to have fixed itself... Oh well. Enjoy.)
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 01:29 PM by Orion »

« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2010, 08:54 AM »
Oh look! Another artless post.... BUT NOT FOR LONG!!!

I give you my new Printer-Scanner!

*Oogles at its HP-ness*

I just bought this with my college loan blood money and consider it an investment and so I don't have to go all the way to the campus computer labs to get my drawn work scanned and posted.

This combined with my new Art Class, (which is going awesome!) I will be posting more cleaned up sketches and hopefully some finished work and comic strips hot off the scanner plate. ;)

So, let the art come!

Re: The Hunter's Bounty (Semi-NSFW)
« Reply #20 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Actual Art and stuff!!!

I mainly went through a few other peoples characters and drew the deigns I liked the most so far. I know that sounds a little shallow but I definitely gained some sort of knowledge from it. So here are a few of the sketches I did.

A whole lot of fun drawing Velvet Starr. Loved her design and it taught me a little.

Sangre Gris. I don't know what is about her but like Starr I liked the design.

The Mechanic, I like his design and I want to fight him some day just for the tech vs tech sort of battle.

I just love drawing Leland. :)

Some fun faces. (Gomez from the Addams Family)

Again, since it is what all artist feed and thrive on, feed back and critique is most welcome.

EDIT: I hate the stupid resizing thing.... stupid photobucket...

Fixed again...
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010, 10:15 PM by Orion »

« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2010, 06:39 AM »
(deleted non-art)

Right.... art...

Thank you, kuro. I have some time today so I will get some observational work in then.... should really do that more often...
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2010, 11:34 AM by Orion »

« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2010, 07:06 AM »
I think you should use this thread to focus more on the art.

Structurally, while they're not all carbon copy, there's a lot of similarity in the faces, especially in the overall shape. Most of the guys you draw have this longish horse face thing going on while the chicks have the same face (except one having the eye patch of course). Look to add subtle variations into the mix. Try to make people more distinct Also, a lot of these poses seem really stiff & unbalanced. The way you're going to fix that is through life studies.

« Reply #23 on: Sep 21, 2010, 10:29 PM »
I just got some non-photo blue lead for my drafting pencil and new .9 lead for my Pentel Twist-Erase, so much fun was had.

I have not addressed the issues set before (and thank you for pointing them out kuro) but I would at least like to have something to show from my first outing. (I have removed the blue so what you see it the final product of my endeavors) I am loooooving this non-photo blue stuff and my Twist-Erase is now going to be my favorite drawing/writing utensil from now on.

I had more to the punchline buuut. I ran out of room. Also my first attempt at word balloons

This one was to test out child proportions and also to draw something cute.

I am to make more drawings of this sort in the future. I have bought a whole pack of more non-photo blue lead and will be using it for my more extensive work and sketches.

Any feedback would be great, though I really am addressing the male face portions and the stiffness which is going to take a lot most likely, but the sketches I have done so far are for a class and I don't want to have to rip the pages out of the sketchbook in order to scan them. Lame reason I know.
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010, 10:32 PM by Orion »

« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2010, 07:17 PM »
You run out of room for word balloons when you don't plan ahead. Be mindful of that sort of thing going into the work. The tilted text is a little awkward too, though I kind of get the effect you had going. You don't have to letter SO HUGE. But then again too, I don't know the scale of the rest of the line art & it might be on the smaller size.

I'm all for handlettering. It's something I'm working on in my own stuff. Two suggestions on tools though because they really go a long way. I really dig my Ames Lettering Guide. It's a relatively cheap little doohickey you slide along a ruler & can lightly draw in the top & bottom lines to block out text in relation to everything else. With one of them, your lettering becomes a lot neater & generally more uniform. I'd also look into finding some ellipses guides. Basically it's like the stencils you'd get as a little kid but they come in varying sizes & angles of sharpness. I got a couple & it makes drawing the actual balloons so much easier!

Your other guy there with the fishing pole looks way way out of whack but it looks like you didn't block any of the proportions out before hand, you just drew head>body>limbs. His pose is awkward & not really grounded with any sort of balance. Beyond that, what's with his left hand. is it twisted flat around to be flat against the point of view? but if that's the case, why is his elbow sticking out. Just try that kind of a position for like two seconds. You'll feel your radius & ulna (thems the bones in your forearm) only twist so far. So block out a pose first & try to rationalize how comfortable/feasible/balanced it is by either looking for reference, or trying it out yourself. But keep at it

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 28, 2024, 08:40 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

186 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 217.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us