Rushdown: The Art of Base

Rushdown: The Art of Base
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:45 PM »
Hey guys. I wanted to make a thread to show off art and get some critiques. I haven't given up on Trix yet, mind you, but I just started school so I'm juggling about a million things at once with not nearly enough time to draw.

So let's just get this rolling.

A friend from my animation class. She recently broke her arm, so I figured it'd be a fun drawing practice to draw her while she was playing games on her DS with one hand. I actually really like how this turned out, as I usually end up making figure drawing look absolutely atrocious...

This ones really big so I'm just posting a thumbnail. I doodled this while trying to stay awake in class. Most of the anatomy issues with the hand and arms are fixed, my friend is coloring it for me so I don't have a more recent scan of it.

Just some facial/expression practice. I think I nailed the crackwhore look here.

Some simple character practice. I wanted to draft a bunch of mannerism-influenced poses and face expressions of the character to get the feel of her before animating her. I really enjoy doing stuff like this, especially the 'lip sync' test of her saying "What the Fuck". I'll be doing some pencil tests of her (hopefully this week! Since I need to show it in class soon anyways).

A new character design. The idea behind him is if Fenrir's 'soul' was forced into a human body, and he was denied his role in Ragnarok. Fenrir, being a very prideful character in Norse mythology, essentially goes batshit insane over time, resulting in this character: a self destructive, violent dog who does only what he's told by whoever is strong enough to control him. It's a little messy here, but he wears the imaginary ribbon that the gods used to chain him, tied in an elegant bow in the front, and in the back has a long tail that behaves similar to how a dog tail would.

A rather uninspired redesign of 710. Won't be sticking around but I thought it was interesting enough to show, I guess. I don't really like it. I'm struggling with his design as it doesn't feel solid enough, so I think I'm gonna try to go for a more military design, maybe incorporate some suggestions from Trix's incubator thread (mostly, the idea of showing him with his 'death injuries'. Not sure what I want to do with it but I'll figure something out). It's hard because I don't have anything personal or some idea I like to base him off of, like other characters, to bring out a character... I'll keep fussing with it.

I'm also working on a multitude of other projects, including a 3D animation, a 2D animation, some assets for a TF2 map for a friend, and character designs, models, and animation for a fighting game with a friend. Plus, along with school, I have work, though my wrist injury is making that difficult anyways. But that's all irrelevant! I've still got art to do, so look forward to some more stuff in the near future.

Re: Rushdown: The Art of Base
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:53 PM »
Not bad dude, you should show us how you do with backgrounds and objects that aren't human, just to really push yourself further.
;-)

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:18 PM »
Yeah I agree. I have been working on perspective more recently, especially since I'm in a layout and design for animation class, which is teaching me all sorts of neat tricks to make perspective much less frustrating and a helluva lot more fun. I like doing perspective because it really gives a solidity to my characters, I've found, especially if I place them and proportion them properly. I don't have anything worth showing (just really simple and shoddy lines with mannikins doodled in) but I'll have some within a week or two, definitely.

As for objects that aren't human, I agree, I think one of my biggest weaknesses is shiny things like shiny metal, brushed metal, glass, plastic... I've done the whole still life stuff to death but I think I need to choose things that actually interest me, not a dumb apple. Even though the apples good, it's better for color practice, which I just can't even wrap my head around half the time. My friends a good colorist though, so maybe I'll just recruit her to help me out with colors when I need it, or just keep it to simplified stuff until I can get better at it.

Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 03:51 AM »
your stuff looks really solid, man. i'd love to see more finished work from you, both in terms of pin-ups and full scenes.

it looks like hands are giving you a little bit of trouble, Fenrir's fist and some of the other hands look like they've got a little bit of guesswork in them. drawing from reference is always a good way to practice, and posemaniacs.com has a great hand model that can be rotated and positioned as you need it.

keep it up, can't wait to see more stuff from you!

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:32 AM »

Just some action practice.

Some character interaction practice. Kinda-sorta planning on bullshitting some sort of background onto this.

Some random character design I made up in class the other day. I actually really enjoy the character.

The same character in her 'normal' clothes. The idea is she'd be a power ranger/Kamen Rider-esque super hero/villain (undecided, I like her as an anti-hero though) who has a goofy transformation sequence into BADASS.

Some lazy perspective slapped onto a pinup of trix. I feel bad subjecting you guys to this crap, heh...

Thumbnail sketch for my perspective class. The idea was to show a conflict between the main character and the boat, which will have a bunch of enemy vikings on it. I put the runestone in on the far right to try to bring a 'trapped' feeling to the character, and a runestone in the center to suggest a barrier between them, but it turned out making the conflict weaker, and ultimately making the character feel 'safer'. A redraw is in progress.

http://s373.photobucket.com/albums/oo179/Base_Oiboi/?action=view&current=layout2.jpg

Some more (smaller) thumbnails. The top part is a tracking thumbnail. Mostly irrelevant to Comics, I know, but I AM an animator predominantly!

http://s373.photobucket.com/albums/oo179/Base_Oiboi/?action=view&current=perspfigstudy1.jpg

Some simple perspective figure study practice, using a trick I remember reading from Andrew Loomis a long time ago. This was just a sloppy example for my friend Nix, mostly.

Some practice with different face types. The idea is that I realized my normal style isn't conducive to doing animation (I have a habit of being incredibly picky, and spending 40 minutes per frame on a pencil test just isn't plausible with my time schedule), so I doodled some ideas for simple faces and tried to come up with logical reasoning for stylizations I applied to the faces. I'm actually really pleased with how the top left came out, I'm usually scared to draw faces that are really characteristic like that because I feel like I'll ruin the features of the face.

This last one is just... Well, I just don't really have a good explanation for it. Just a sketch.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 01:21 PM »
your shapes are great but I feel like you need an underlying skeleton and more warmups with realism so that you can figure out all the nuances to aligning your eyeballs properly, making your bones feel correct, and not dislocating joints and other fangly shit I keep seeing.

The mistakes makes your stuff feel flat. Drawing skeletons usually helps with making your figures feel like they register in space.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Yaknow, that's probably where all my problems are coming from. And I have NO excuse cuz I've been intentionally ignoring making accurate skeletons. I got into the habit of drawing really 'loose' skeletons to build up from because I liked the postures they gave me, but I think it's hurting more than it's helping.

I'm going into surgery in a few days but I'll try to have stuff up soon (it's on my left hand anyways, I'm right handed and I'll have plenty of time to draw). Gonna do lots of studies and work on ink and coloring while I'm recovering. Look forward to more!

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Yaknow, that's probably where all my problems are coming from. And I have NO excuse cuz I've been intentionally ignoring making accurate skeletons. I got into the habit of drawing really 'loose' skeletons to build up from because I liked the postures they gave me, but I think it's hurting more than it's helping.

I'm going into surgery in a few days but I'll try to have stuff up soon (it's on my left hand anyways, I'm right handed and I'll have plenty of time to draw). Gonna do lots of studies and work on ink and coloring while I'm recovering. Look forward to more!

Ahaha you get to work the camera for our animations. I'll grit my teeth so we can get some work done XD;

And durned right you'll have work*whipcrack* I'm almost done with Taro. I don't want to colour my own stuff all the time!
Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Formerly destructivenix

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2010, 04:51 AM »
Had my surgery last week and my bandages are due off today, big relief to be off meds and stuff and (hopefully) have my left hand back and working for a change. Just this so far lately:

Only thing I've drawn recently worth putting up. I got a small sketchpad to work out ideas on and picked up some cheap markers to work on that, so hopefully I can get some more stuff up in the coming days.

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2010, 11:35 AM »
Not really sure what's going on in that last pic. S/he is bent at some pretty weird angles, and I can only sorta make out the pose you were trying to go for.

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2010, 12:05 PM »
I can tell what's going on, she's crouching while dragging a hand around to do a 'spell' I would guess.  What makes the picture confusing is the shape of the folds of the clothing.  It's like a large chunk of cabbage growing out of her ass.  Practicing clothing folds and use some references and just like pay attention, because her skirt, if that's what it is, stops around her midsection, folds over the back and then around and back under her, which is just odd.  So yeah, watch out for that.

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2010, 11:01 PM »

AND I'M BACK

Sorry about the delay guys, I just wasn't content with anything I was drawing lately. This one I actually really like how Trix came out, but I need to fix her arms. I may be switching the outfit to this one from now on.

The guy's redesign is coming along. I'm still getting the hang of how I want him to look from angle to angle. Here's some more doodles I did today:

Here's a much better drawing of the ghost, but I screwed up Trix's proportions. It's tricky balancing the two of them since they're so different.

This is just a plain out weird sketch. I drew Trix being goofy and I drew him being... I'm not quite sure, but it's irrelevant. His body came out better here but I dislike how his head and face came out.

And character design for a film me and Nix are working on.

Sorry about the lack of stuff-- I have a lot of other stuff I've been meaning to scan, but dealing with school, animation, and physical therapy after my surgery just have me swamped. I'll have more stuff soon, especially animation stuff and Trix designs (and hopefully some color and ink practice too).

« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2010, 05:48 AM »
Alright, it's been a while since I posted anything in this, what with last weeks battle and working on some projects for class and a personal project. So here, lemme show you guys what else I like to do:

This is still quite early in the process, but it has most of the modeling (polygon mesh) completed, aside from a few tweaks and bells and whistles. Yes, it's Hazama from Blazblue. This is for a project I've been working on 'under wraps' and I haven't 'officially' announced it. He will be replacing the Spy model in TF2 once he's completed. I will be replacing every TF2 character with a character from Guilty Gear or Blazblue (Only Hazama and Kokonoe from BB, for various reasons). Why? Well, two reasons: I freaking LOVE both Guilty Gear and TF2 and am a massive fan of both, and because I wanted to teach myself how to create character models, texture them, rig them, and animate them while keeping in mind the restraints of creating content for a modern video game. Pardon the awful shaders I have on there, he won't be so shiny/ugly once I finish the textures. If you guys have any questions about this, feel free to ask-- I know it's not really what you guys normally see around here.

Which brings me to my next project:

This character is a concept that was going to be in Half Life 2, but was cut. http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Combine_Assassin I decided I wanted to try something a little simpler to get myself used to texturing characters and also to have a change of pace after the loooong time I spent on Hazama. The idea is that since it'll be lower poly and is mostly greyscale, it should be relatively easy for me to texture this. Because I want to focus on texturing and less about creating a complex, nice looking model, I'm going to be limiting my poly count to less than 3,000 tris. (The Spy is a couple hundred over 5,000, if you're curious). This way, I can have enough complexity for nice movement and for the character to be easily recognized from most angles, but also be simple enough to texture. I'm also going to focus on doing this as quickly as possible-- I plan to complete the modelling before Monday, when Round 2 starts for me. That way I can focus on texturing as soon as I finish it, and maybe do some quick challenge fights with one of the Vets (Bring it on!).

Oh, Don't mind the sloppy sketch btw. I just need to know the general proportions and silhouette of the character for modeling, but this is what I'm starting with so I thought people would be interested in seeing the process (Will have iterative saves so I can possibly show the process down the road!).

Reposted from the tourney jam thread, but I feel bad not having anything traditional to show you guys, so here. I plan on inking and cleaning this up, as well as coloring it, within some reasonable time limit (most likely during my breaks while modeling).

Hope you all enjoy!

« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Wow, it's been a long time. Feel bad that I haven't been around much, so I'll do a dump of some recent junk here...

Been experimenting with marker lately.

Cheap color markers suck.

Just a bit of experimentation with coloring and character design...

A bit more.

Unfinished, plan to redo it with a lot of issues reworked...

Some animations I did for class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaFhCe55a1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMjPYSCu-8

Trying to get used to drawing in flash. It's a pain in the ass to use, but it's the fastest process I can get at the moment.

Phew. Lots of crap here. I'll try to get a BB together, since it's been so long...
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2010, 12:35 AM by Base »

« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Some more sketches.

« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2011, 06:44 AM »
pretty good stuff as i kept scrolling down i kept seen improvements keep it up.

« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2012, 04:33 PM »
Wow, been a long ass time since I posted... Here's a ton of stuff!

Okay, I really need to post more often. Critique and comments are more than welcome!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Cool to see some of the 3D stuff in here, though I have some critiques to make. The Zero one I'll focus on since I'll assume its the most recent.

I'm going to have to ask what you're basing this off first of all. Like what reference images are you using? I can already point out to you that the helmet + the face area is way off from the character's design. I assume you're going to be trying to go for accuracy in the same way you did for the Pokemon model (which looks pretty awesome by the way).

Here are a few good shots art wise that are going to kind of explain the helmet + face area problem I have a bit. The helmet looks kinda flat and lumpy for one, especially on the red v-shape. It sould be a lot rounder all the way back, a little higher, and a bit more pointy. In fact quite a few things need to be rounded off here. What I would have done to build the helmet piece was to in fact make the V-shape a seperate mesh because it looks like the back of the helmet there is having some issues because you have it all joined together like that. The little side pieces of the helmet also look a little flat to me as well. The V Shape should also be more pointed right as it goes towards the nose too.

The face is a bit off too, the eyes are extremely close together and should probably be made bigger and moved closer to the helmet like in the art. There isn't much space between Zero's eyes and the side of the helmet in the artwork. The face geometry is also really kind of strange. It doesn't look like it'd animate very well at all the way it is right now. Mainly down near the mouth area it gets kinda strange for me, the eye loops look okay.

Also it seems to me his shoulders are way denser than they need to be in terms of geometry. You could probably free up quite a few tris just by axing some of those loops outta there. I think you'd be better off trying to round off some of his armour than to use it all on those shoulders.  His neck is also way huge. In fact I think most of the proportions of the character need to be tweaked some.

I remember starting a Zero model a while back (as well as Aile from ZX) and never finished either of 'em, but when I was doing up the Zero model I was using this as a guide and made some tweaks to make it fit better with other art/references I had:

For some good face topology examples I'd recommend checking this out: Polycount's Face Topology wiki page

They have other topology things on there too. Though I have a feeling perhaps you might have seen this since I saw you had an entry for the Brawl competition in this post too? I was gonna make a model of Felicia from MvC but I flaked out of that tourney since it was happening when Dominance War was on and I did DomWar instead lol.

« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:21 PM »
Thanks a ton for the crits!

Yeah, heads and faces are definitely a weak point for me, even in 2D art. I need to study, study, study, draw, and model more.

The zero model is actually a few months old at this point, but I'll take your crits into consideration and try to clean it up-- maybe I can spruce it up to fit in my portfolio eventually.

Yeah, I had life issues so I couldn't continue with Brawl, but I can't wait to do another art competition.

Thanks again for your comments!

« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2012, 12:56 AM »

Practicing some digital lately.

« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2012, 02:23 PM »

« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I RESURRECT THIS THREAD IN THE NAME OF SATAN.

Also art, I'm redesigning Trix and giving her a 2 year time skip. Hoping for some critiques.

Things that need changing on this: Mask, and Pose. Anything else guys?

« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2013, 06:20 AM »
Watch out for the wrinkles in her clothes; it looks really unnatural in some places, especially on her pants. Since you already pointed out the mask and pose, I'd like to see a drawing of her with those fixed before I give much more critique. I'm also not sure what's going on with her hair, so I'm hoping your next drawing can clarify some of that for me.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 28, 2024, 08:40 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

171 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 162.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us