Dan's art

Dan's art
« on: Mar 14, 2009, 11:58 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm a long-time lurker now turned member because my friend BornLoser said "Post your art there, bitch!" and I couldn't refuse :3

So, what better way to introduce myself than posting art? :)

I'm going to post 5 pieces:

1) The one I'm proud the most.
http://thetimedevourer.deviantart.com/art/Katiuska-106820453

2) The most recent one
Done three days ago, to try out a new cubic style :P
http://thetimedevourer.deviantart.com/art/Quentin-115730861

3) The Pixel art one!
http://thetimedevourer.deviantart.com/art/Dio-Brando-Punch-Out-102469868

4) The one with homosexual undertones
http://thetimedevourer.deviantart.com/art/Giorno-Giovanna-115336488

5) And the one based on the videogame character all videogame characters strive to be. The superman of gaming.
Mario :3
http://thetimedevourer.deviantart.com/art/Mario-Before-the-showdown-108217139
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2009, 12:05 AM by The Time Devourer »

Re: Dan's art
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:11 AM »
Really impressive painting, man!

Do you draw comics at all? I'd really love to see some from you.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I do have a webcomic, written by my bro and drawn by me, but I update it at such as slow pace you can tell the difference in drawing from page to page :P

http://www.webcomicsnation.com/glequericac/galaxy/series.php?view=archive&chapter=34289

« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:14 PM »
I'm with Pi in saying that those paintings are damned awesome. But that comic of yours so far isn't doing you any justice, and looks very awkward. The first thing that looks strange to me is well... oddly enough, the earth, it looks nice, but compared to the bottom panel it just seems way out of place. If you're going for a change of scene type of deal (like the black and white represents something in the past), you have to make sure the reader knows that they're looking at something in the past (Like for example in Naruto, the white boarders around the panels often turn black to show a flashback and change back when returning to the present).

Second thing is even though your character looks very nice, his anatomy looks surprisingly stiff, I'm not sure how to explain why it is, but it's mainly his spine and shoulders that are throwing me off and making me think something is wrong. Last thing that's confusing me greatly is the perspective of the street on the outside in the last panel, from the viewers point of view, that street isn't level, or that's one crooked house and it's in the middle of the street. Your shading and showing of form is great, but I think you're lacking in other parts of the basics, you need to get some life studies under your belt, and a bit more practice with the point perspectives can also help you out greatly. Other than that though, this is promising.
;-)

« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2009, 10:05 PM »
I am aint I? :3

I love your productivity as of late :)

« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2009, 10:10 PM »
Thanks, mein man :) I've been trying my best to go liek super-saiyan lololololol
Nah jk, I just really hate how college takes all my time though :(

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2009, 12:51 AM »
WOW, the photorealism just blows me away! I'd love to be able to paint like that!
I'm gonna have to agree with Phillip on the comic, though... on individual pieces you totally shine, but it doesn't translate to the comic. Little pictures put together deserve just as much time as one big picture ;)

A quick look through your gallery on dA shows a lot of portraits and poses and such, but I personally would love to see you do an "action" piece, I'd like to see you play with perspective and movement in your image. It's great practice for doing things like comics, making characters more expressive.

Hope to see s'more new stuff from you~

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2009, 06:01 PM »
very nice stuff dude, do you use refs for these or do you pull them out of your head?

also I am having a hard time seeing it on my laptop for some reason but are you shading with black/grey/darker versions of the base color?  to me that's what it looks like and your art would really pop if you pushed more complementary color into your shadows, esp since you're going for realism most of the time

« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2009, 11:18 PM »
Yeah, I guess I have to learn to use complementary colors betters :P  I do use darker versions of the same color. Not all the time, no, but most of the time that's all I do indeed so yeah.
That's a great piece of advice, buddy :) I'll take it in mind next time.
Oh and to answer your question: I use references. I'm still trying to learn to make stuff out of my head but I'm not too good so I work with what I can ;)

Peolacurei:  Yep. I just have a harder time with the comic though, because I'm my only model when it comes to that stuff, and I have a rather hard time converting myself into Stanley :(   I need to learn, as I said in the paragraph before this one, to create stuff out of my head better.
But it's very much appreciated all the advice.

BornLoser was right, this forum is awesome for critics :D   You're awesome guys, thanks for all.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2009, 07:35 PM »
james gurney has a shitload of blogs about color, I'm pimping him here because I learned more about color theory from him than the class I took on it last quarter (2nd page is more relevant to you)(starting from the top)
a real treasure trove of information

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2009, 06:43 PM »
New piece! This one was a bday gift for my friend Zplasmodium.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Some of your paintings are very beautiful. I think “Lorti” is my favourite and I shall add it to my favourites as soon as I log back in to DA. =)

Sometimes it seems that you’re copying what you see without fully understanding how it works. Maybe you should check out some human anatomy tutorials so that you can see how the body works underneath the skin (muscles, bones, etc.)

There are a lot of helpful tutorials and resources here: http://artistshospital.deviantart.com/art/Library-reference-Humans-24705651

I hope they’re useful to you. I would enjoy seeing your style translated better into comics.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Khavaj EodMorrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 11:58 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

134 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 294.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us