michaelharris = artstuffs.

Re: michaelharris = artstuffs.
« Reply #25 on: Aug 09, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I feel like your comic was meant to have color.  Or something.  Cuz it's missing like shadows or texture or something.

« Reply #26 on: Sep 04, 2009, 07:20 PM »

here are the colors for the void battle with Perca. I didn't like them so I went with b & w
your sig is too big! -the management

« Reply #27 on: Oct 12, 2009, 02:18 PM »

A few years ago, I did a pitch for Tonya Kay. She was "The Creature" on the show "Who wants to be a super-hero" and some country music video, one of the gremlins in a car insurance commercial, and a bunch of other stuff, she is also a spokesperson for raw food veganism(is veganism a word? I don't know if I am saying that right)... Project didn't end up going anywhere :(

« Reply #28 on: Oct 12, 2009, 02:39 PM »
oh... this is probably why... they found me a colorist. Now... I am not saying I am great colorist... but I liked mine better

« Reply #29 on: Oct 12, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Wait, they got a colorist to do those pages in your latest post? Whoever the colorist was, soft brush is a big no no! You can really only pull it off if you're doing Disney cartoons, that's the only place I have ever seen it not look like ass. And all the super saturated flat colors like the bright red of the buildings and the bright blue in the windows are a bit much. Your colors in the previous post weren't perfect but holy shit what the hell, in what world is glass super saturated bright blue?

If that dude got paid to color that then I should have no problems finding jobs as a colorist.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #30 on: Oct 12, 2009, 06:13 PM »
if it makes you feel better, no one got paid, it was just a pitch.

« Reply #31 on: Oct 12, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Your colorist is fired.

On a more productive note I feel like your approach to the coloring just hands down completes your inking style. Colors are chosen better and its hard for me to imagine how ANOTHER colorist might come up with a better approach.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2009, 07:28 PM by Monday »

« Reply #32 on: Oct 24, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Here are the test pages I was bitching about...

« Reply #33 on: Oct 24, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Everyone on those pages looks really relaxed and not worried or concerned at all. Doop doop doop, gun fight.

« Reply #34 on: Oct 24, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Everyone on those pages looks really relaxed and not worried or concerned at all. Doop doop doop, gun fight.

Judging by their facial expressions, I believe they are supposed to be mildly retarded.

OH WAO IS LOUD!!! - HURRRR YOU ARE SHOT MEEEE!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2009, 07:38 PM by King_Pong »
"FUCK YOU PONG AND YOUR GODDAMN STUPID JEW FACE" ~ Lysol Jones

« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2009, 01:32 AM »
Lulz.....wtf.....hahahahaha

Check out some facial expressions though. You seem to be doing pretty good with the other stuff IMHO.

There's a book that's just called "Facial Expressions", it's an awesome reference. And Scott McCloud breaks it down pretty good in "Making Comics"

I like your style though, good job with adding in some minor detail lines to make things not look too flat

"Hurr you are shot me".....this is why entervoid > deviantart

« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2009, 07:46 AM »
The composition in the panels is off & overall, that makes each of the pages look really off. There's real no thought going into how you're showing each action. like that second panel. The fist at the bottom; it took me a minute to realize that's his hand as he runs, not someone choking him. But i shouldn't have that moment of 'huh?' it should be immediately clear & not break the pacing of the story. Tweaking that angle more or zooming out would have displayed that better. And it's fine that you throw in an angle with some dutch on it occasionally, but it's also kinda dull that everything is generally a midshot from the waist up. Do these people even have bottom halves to their bodies? the only time we seem to see that is when the one guy's blown up off the ground into the mid shot. And what happened to the body of the helmeted guy he's getting blown into? There's nothing there. But the explosion is largely offpanel & again it's not clear what happened, but not in a sudden 'omg explosion' sort of way. once they're on the ground, the dust is immediately gone & then the rubble disappears from all the shots two panels later. Like when helmet guy turns tail & starts to run but the next panel looks to show him getting shot in the front instead. From there, you start devoting lots of space to panels with the least amount of action in them & vice versa. The firefight back & forth should be large, not the two panels of what looks like the guy getting shot (which, by the way, if he is, show some better indication. if he isn't, don't overlap the blast on the panel before & aim it directly at him). and we never see helmet guy get up off the floor but by the end he's at the same eye level as goatee. also, the way you show the reinforcements coming in is horribly unexciting. it's just like they're suddenly just there. and there's no interest generated by them. even despite the fact the one guy's looking ready to weld something or bake pastries with that lame looking head gear.
I know you're working off someone else's script but the attempt to interpret that script seems halfhearted & poorly executed. not a lot of thought seems to go into any of this. if they write panel by panel & there happens to be 'animation' (a character doing two or more things at once in the same panel. ideally writers should know better), don't be afraid to chop it up into one or more panels if you can't somehow work on showing each of those actions. if something doesn't make a lot of sense in the script, it's your job to make it make sense on the comic page. all while keeping that pacing up, leading the eye where you want it to go, & making pages that look appealing overall.
that & everyone has the same wimpy body type, short arms, & giant heads. the faces are off kilter too. consider flipping your pages & holding them to a light so you can spot those issues as you're drawing them (or flip the canvas if you're only working digitally; even easier that way). and like it's been said, the expressions aren't too hot either.

« Reply #37 on: Nov 11, 2009, 07:43 AM »

« Reply #38 on: Nov 11, 2009, 11:24 AM »
Please, never stop using blacks, Michael! This one looks gorgeous.
Is it for the BB?
By air

« Reply #39 on: Nov 11, 2009, 01:42 PM »
I giggled. A lot. Then looked at it again and started giggling again.

It's cute. :D
You're not special. Deal.

« Reply #40 on: Nov 11, 2009, 02:28 PM »
No this is for the void battle jam, Kaelin will color it.

« Reply #41 on: Nov 11, 2009, 11:57 PM »

Judging by their facial expressions, I believe they are supposed to be mildly retarded.

OH WAO IS LOUD!!! - HURRRR YOU ARE SHOT MEEEE!!!

You read my mind. Ahaha.
"I'm giving you a head start, you're going to need it. Cause I fight like a girl."

« Reply #42 on: Aug 06, 2010, 06:57 PM »
This is the void jam WITH Kaelin's colors.

These were Halcyon's opening pages, might submit him eventually

« Reply #43 on: Aug 07, 2010, 02:18 PM »
THese last pages from you look really slick, loads better than pages earlier on this page.  Good stuff, those worms are horrific, reminds me of those new king kong worms.

Keep it up!

« Reply #44 on: Oct 06, 2010, 05:47 PM »

« Reply #45 on: Oct 07, 2010, 12:49 AM »
yay perspective class! i'll probably post mine eventually.

« Reply #46 on: Nov 09, 2010, 02:11 AM »

« Reply #47 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:30 AM »
like.

great work.
Picard is the man.

« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:34 PM »

a Batman page for class

This was for freelance, Angie did the colors. FOXTAAAAUUUR!!!!!

« Reply #49 on: Mar 21, 2011, 07:33 AM »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 28, 2024, 08:40 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

180 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 186.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us