Creating a Tridimensional Character

Re: Creating a Tridimensional Character
« Reply #125 on: Jun 14, 2007, 03:33 PM »
Pretty rough- might not even stick with this character. I don't really like this survey much.

PHYSIOLOGY
1. Sex/Gender- Female
2. Age- 29
3. Height/Weight- Height- about 6'2 and 140 pounds. Yeah. She's tall.
4. Color of Hair/Eyes/Skin- Skin- deep rich brown. Eyes- one ice blue (contact lens) an the other dark brown. Hair-  bleched blue0white. slightly nappy and thick, dreadlocks
5. Posture- high and mighty, very graceful
6. Appearance (Good-looking, over/underweight, clean, neat, pleasant, untidy; shape of face/head/limbs)- very defined face with protruding lips, rounded short nose, sharp cheekbones, square chin. Large fingers. Not unfigured, but more muscular then curvy. Tattoos on face and piercings on lip and ear. Charismatic appeal.
7. Defects (deformities, abnormalities, birthmarks, diseases)- Premature greying (so she dyed it white). Receeding fingernails make them look very long.
8. Heredity (inherited traits from character's family)- Grace, and natrual balance. When older, will get arthritis. Dad had cancer.

SOCIOLOGY

1. Social Class (lower, middle, upper)- middle-lower class.
2. Occupation (Type of work, hours of work, income, condition of work, union or non-union, attitude towards organization, suitability for work)- Upon graduating, she was hired as a preformer in a very "Cirque-de-Solie" type of act, doing daring leaps and high-powered moves.
3. Education (amount, kind of schools, marks, favorite subjects, poorest subjects, aptitudes)- Went to collage for 2 years for physical acting!
4. Home Life (Parents living, earning power, orphan, parents separated or divorced, parents' habits, parents' mental development, parents' vices, neglect, character's marital status) Father died when she was about 4. She lived with her 4 brothers and 1 sister. Her mom was always tired, drunk, or high, and seemed to like other men more then her own children. Parents spoke  Afrikaans.
5. Race- Canadian/South Africa
6. Religion and/or Nationality- Buddhist, but doesn't practice.
7. Place in Community ('leader among friends', clubs, sports)- Admired for her skills, but never really 'fit' 100%.
8. Political affiliations. - None. "Politicians are stupid."
9. Amusements/Hobbies (books, newspapers, magazines he/she reads, etc.)- dancing. singing. freewalking. acting. preforming. Anything active. men. weed.
10. Time Period/Era (social structure and how it pertains to your character)- n/a

PSYCHOLOGY

1. Moral Standards- No one deserves to die. Though, some people do deserve TONS of pain.
2. Personal Premise/Ambition- just be happy.
3. Frustrations- anyone that gets in her way, stops her from being happy, or is just a general asshole.
4. Temperament (choleric, easygoing, pessimistic, optimistic, etc.)- depending on her mood, but usually optimistic and pretty easy going. Doesn't like to get into fights if she doesn't need to, but has no quams against fighting. If you get on her bad side, somehow....
5. Attitude toward Life (resigned, militant, defeatist, etc.)- militant- not neccarily against people, just anything that's against people. yeah, she's a good guy.
6. Complexes (obesessions, inhibitions, superstitions, phobias, etc.)- obsessed with people, drugs, training and moving.
7. Extrovert? Introvert? Ambivert?- introverted, unless she's acting. all this means is she likes her alone time- she is for sure not shy. When she greets people, she
8. Abilities (languages, talents)- can speak  Afrikaans quite well, her english is a little shakey, and she has an accent.
9. Qualities (imagination, judgement, taste, poise)
10. IQ- Average- about 100.
11. Time Period/Era (periodic ways of thinking, and how it applies to your character)- Everything is connected. Karma. Peace. Ancient buddihst influences.

« Reply #126 on: Aug 17, 2007, 12:29 AM »
does anyone really read all of these? ???

DOMA 38

PHYSIOLOGY
1. Sex/Gender: Psychologically Male/Physiologically Androgynous
2. Age: 7 years (reached physical maturity at age 5)
3. Height/Weight: 2.3m, 275lbs.
4. Color of Hair/Eyes/Skin: None/Dark Gold/Gray Leather
5. Posture: slight hunch when at ease
6. Appearance: Dangerous and unfriendly. Intimidating when making eye contact.
7. Defects: Lacks sexual organs. Circular scars arranged along the spine and around skull. After periods of intense psychological trauma and stress: Prone to seizures and fits due to chemically unbalanced nervous system. Weak immune system. Unable to properly digest 'plant cell walls'. 46+0 Chromosomes (humans have 44+2 sex chromosomes)
8. Heredity: Major genetic contributors: Homo Sapiens, Velociraptors, Kimodo Dragon, Boa Constrictor. Otherwise, synthesized genetic code.

SOCIOLOGY
1. Social Class: Non-civilian- operating budget: high.
2. Occupation: Tactical Reconnaissance/IFO (in-field-operations) for a U.S. Military organization. Acquires/analyzes information on threats within VOID Community, embedded solution to neutralize designated targets. Well funded, armed, and equipped. Personal Income interest from High-return Bank accounts, used for emergencies only. Employed by military in exchange for freedom to join human society, secondly out of loyalty to a small group of humans who rescued him from his creator. Distrusts the organization as a whole, but trusts a select few within the organization. Takes job very seriously, even though he considers his embedment in VOID a waste of his capability.
3. Education: Very little outside of the art of war. While still in clone tank, all military training was directly embedded into his brain during controlled bursts of R.E.M. cycles.
4. Home Life: Last surviving organism of the "Doma" breed of shock troops. Lives alone or with an assigned teammate(s). Is only comfortable around a select 5 or 6 humans, whom he has adopted as his 'family'.
5. Race: No ethnicity - genetically engineered from multiple human tissue samples.
6. Religion and/or Nationality: Agnostic, no nationality.
7. Place in Community: Considered among his peers to be one of the most dangerous living things on the planet.
8. Political affiliations: Liberal, apathetic.
9. Amusements/Hobbies: Loves to play Chess. Reads as much as possible, all subjects from philosophy to fiction, astrophysics to Greek tragedies. People-watching.
10. Time Period/Era: dystopian futuristic

PSYCHOLOGY
1. Moral Standards: rising morality as he acclimated himself to society. Projects himself to be as well-meaning and moral as any random individual. Killing is an exception, however, to his growing chagrin.
2. Personal Premise/Ambition: "To become the atom that can understand the ocean." Personal peace and a balance between being an individual and a part of the whole.
3. Frustrations: His inability to walk away from the fact that he is a living weapon. A danger to himself and those around him, possibly the very fabric of existence. Mental overexertion from his powers.
4. Temperament: Black and white. Most of the time he is extremely placid and harmless, and then in a short burst, he becomes a vicious killing machine.
5. Attitude toward Life: skeptical
6. Complexes: Becomes on edge and alarmed in especially loud and crowded places. He hates being unable to process all the information around him, hates not being able to control and protect his immediate surroundings.
7. Extrovert? Introvert? Ambivert? Classic Introvert. Only emotionally opens up to a select few people.
8. Abilities: Can speak and read a few languages. Can read and translate even more. He had always displayed a strong hunger for knowledge, questioning authority and the world around him more than all of his peers. Though trained to solve difficult problems and think abstractly, Doma shows a unique analytical prowess in the realm of the non-military. He is able to tackle several difficult philosophical ideas concurrently. Though he does not speak much, he has developed the eloquence of a well educated person.
9. Qualities: Excellent judge of character, if not cynical. Not especially humorous, and most cases of poor taste are a result of social  inexperience. Very well collected under pressure, excellent concentration helps him perform well at critical moments.
10. IQ: relative. (vs. average 30 year old male: 143)
11. Time Period/Era (periodic ways of thinking, and how it applies to your character) Ambivalent of society as a whole, but fiercely distrusts those in a position of power, those who seek it, and those who seek to take it away.

If you're still here I clap for you.

xD :] :I ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #127 on: Sep 25, 2007, 02:33 PM »
does anyone really read all of these? ???

Well, I read the first three pages.. ¬_¬

This advanced character sheet is wonderful. I've been filling it in, and seeing areas I need to flesh out some more. Might post it eventually.

It's great for stopping the urges of "Draw now, fix it later".

EDIT: Actually, is it okay to post a filled in version for a character still in development?
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2007, 02:49 PM by Sci »
LJ: http://sci.livejournal.com/
Homepage (outlinks to everything else): http://www.sci-fi-fox.com/

« Reply #128 on: Oct 10, 2007, 05:36 PM »
Filling out a form will not help you make a three-dimensional character. This is possibly the most uninspired, prosaic, and banal character creation method I have ever seen.

Creating a character that seems real, that reacts in real ways to situations, that has all the ideosyncracies of a real person, involves treating them like a real person in your head. Try filling out this form for yourself, or for someone you know. I bet you'll feel pretty stupid doing it. The list doesn't capture any of the nuances of a person, or the ways that aspects of a personality might blend together or be hard to define discretely, and these are EXACTLY the things that make us three-dimensional.

This method is a cop-out. Don't use it.

<3

-Jesse

« Reply #129 on: Oct 10, 2007, 06:29 PM »
Funny, I found it very useful. 

« Reply #130 on: Oct 11, 2007, 08:11 AM »
eh, filling forms dont really have to be shown, it merely helps you thinking things you never really had to think before, works for some people, doesn't for some. We all have different methods of thinking, and swhy this might work for some and wont work for the other.

who says profiling characters don't apply to humans? we profile people all the time, friends, mother parents bf gf etc, we make little profile in our head and there's an invisible form we have in our head to identify with that person or what we assume. That's why we will never understand the other person fuly since all this assumption exists in our head, but that;s what make a person unique from the others in our head.

granted this is not the best method (personally I wouldnt' do this for all my stories/characters since I have no attention span to do so) infact there IS no best method  but it's not at all unispired, prosaic or banal like you so arrogantly claim! :)
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #131 on: Oct 11, 2007, 01:48 PM »
when i create a character, i like to think "which aspect of my personality do i want to utterly POUR into this guy?" like, a cunning chameleon, or an angry frenchmen, or a suicidal robot. they all contain a part of me, because i believe thats what give them LIFE, y'know?

« Reply #132 on: Oct 19, 2007, 05:58 PM »
I had a bit of a time making this... but it did help to flesh out my character.

This is NOT an avatar anymore. Over the last year or so I've been inactive, Flip and I have become very seperate... so here's his re-make/birth

PHYSIOLOGY
1. Sex/Gender: Male
2. Age: 20 (looks younger)
3. Height/Weight: 5 foot, 90 Pounds
4. Color of Hair/Eyes/Skin: Black/brown, Brown, Darker caucasian
Posture: Straight-up, startled posture, inquisitive
6. Appearance: Small, round, child-like face. Slight cheek bones. Tousled, long hair down to his mid-back. Matted, almost dreaded. Never wispy. Eyes are wide and expressive, very sharp and quick to see. Skinny, mostly the bare minimum of muscle and bone. No fat.
7. Defects: none
8. Heredity: Small frame from his mother, cheek bones and skin color from his dad (1/2 native american, he himself is thusly 1/4).

SOCIOLOGY

1. Social Class: Lower middle class
2. Occupation: He works as a delivery boy from 6 to 5, earning $250 a week. The place is run down and roach-infested, non-union. Flip sees it as a necessity, however evil, but he has earned Employee of the Month several times due to his timeliness.
3. Education: Flip has the most basic High School education he could get. He skimped by on straight D’s. Not that he wasn’t smart, he just didn’t work because of his job and his passion for Freerunning. He always liked P.E, because he got to train more on his strength and endurance. He ran track for a short time, but lost interest because it was boring.
4. Home Life: Parents were separated. Father was a naval officer that left when he was small to do bigger and better things. Mother clung to a false hope that he would come back. Mother was a cookie-cutter perfectionist, and he grew up in a small house with a picket fence and apple pies baking on the windowsill. Since he was a baby he was always inquisitive, and she always showed him how some things worked, since she had to take care of the car and the washing machine and the house herself. He learned a lot of the basic life skills from his mother She never really disciplined him hard enough however, and he never really listened to her anyway after the age of twelve, preferring to do his own thing. He got a job at fifteen, and while she strived to be a perfect mother, he already had himself taken care of. He moved out at seventeen.
5. Race: 1/4 Irish, 1/4 German, 1/4 Mexican, 1/4 Native American
6. Religion and/or Nationality: Deist. Believes in a higher being, but nothing more.
7. Place in Community: He’s always been happy being the loner, since nobody had been able to keep up with him at what he was good at, and he couldn’t keep up with everyone on anything else. Plus, he couldn’t be a super hero...
8. Political affiliations: Liberal, but not very open. He prefers to keep his views to himself and stay out of trouble. He will, however, respect authority and government, admiring what a hard job they have to do. (Very polite to cops and politicians.)
9. Amusements/Hobbies: Tagger, artist, free-runner. He works out at the gym when he can, doing wind springs and climbing the rock wall. He makes his own clothes and tags good parts of the city for free-running. He gets cocky when he runs.
10. Time Period/Era: Flip is trying to make a name for himself, and that isn’t always easy. What with Parkour being illegal, he has to practice in relative secret, and if he’s caught he uses Parkour to escape.

PSYCHOLOGY

1. Moral Standards: A woman’s body is her own right, do what you will as long as you don’t hurt another person physically or emotionally, and remain responsible for ALL your actions, intended or not.
2. Personal Premise/Ambition: Wanted to be a Superhero, now wants to be a pro Parkour-er..er. Also wants to afford his apartment and some food for the week.
3. Frustrations: When good sights get destroyed, or when people act like jerks or take out their frustrations on him. He doesn’t like carrying other people’s personal baggage.
4. Temperament: Reserved, startled, hopeful, optimistic
5. Attitude toward Life: Passive mostly, but other times passive-aggressive when it goes against his morals.
6. Complexes: He has a fear of drowning and fear of mobs
7. Extrovert? Introvert? Ambivert: Ambivert
8. Abilities: He’s a sprinter, a cross-country runner, an acrobat, and able to take a fall and get a small amount of damage to his body.
9. Qualities: Quick on his feet, takes in details, problem solver, escape artist
10. IQ: Average/Above Average
11. Time Period/Era: Social apathy pretty much leaves him alone. When people lash out at him, he seeks to remedy the conflict with words, and never violence. However sometimes he will get cocky and decide to fight back or defend himself.

« Reply #133 on: Oct 20, 2007, 01:48 PM »
Is it really neccessary to have people post their entries of this? Does anyone read these?

« Reply #134 on: Oct 20, 2007, 03:42 PM »
Is it really neccessary to have people post their entries of this? Does anyone read these?

I read some of them, but only the ones I would actually want to know and that's even if they're up. I've even filled this out but I would never post it here. >.>

« Reply #135 on: Oct 26, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I think you should all stop wasting time filling these out and get to submitting your characters. Go on! Git!

For real, some of you haven't even lost your incubator virginity, take care of that now. The upcoming battles page is so dead and depressing, we need more people with characters in who will actually battle. For every week that goes by after someone has posted one of these bios without putting effort towards getting their character in, a kitten cries.

Don't break my heart :(

I eagerly await seeing like 80 new characters in the incubator tonight when I get home
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #136 on: Oct 26, 2007, 02:06 PM »
I fully agree, Angie. :<

This form has been kind of... abused of late and not used as it was intended. This is supposed to be an exercise in how to set up a complete background and develop a real 'feel' for the character. How they act, WHY they act... get into their heads and understand them.

This isn't a bloody blog survey. :\ And that's what a lot of the posts look like. *SIGH*
You're not special. Deal.

« Reply #137 on: Oct 28, 2007, 01:48 PM »
HERE'S AN EASY SOLUTION :D

lockity lock lock lock.

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - May 06, 2024, 08:07 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

125 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 194.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us