SPEED DEATH TOURNEY 2011

Re: SPEED DEATH TOURNEY 2011
« Reply #50 on: Sep 06, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Well I've been playing with Gimp since people told me it's free. So after hearing SDT is back, I couldn't resist

HALF POLAR BEAR, HALF NAZI, ALL HATE

Das Bear

Nothing really to say, he's a neo nazi, that happens to be a bear and not a fucking anthro either, just a polar bear!!!!

i working like crazy to make a better design sheet. This is mainly just to verify I want to have part in SDT!!!

« Reply #51 on: Sep 07, 2011, 03:14 AM »
I mean, Sixtem's character looks like Daft Punk...
I'LL KILL YOU

(It was supposed to be Megaman-esque, but that works too)

Well, since I'll be submitting something this weekend... BRING IT.
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #52 on: Sep 07, 2011, 05:05 AM »
But here? Just for fun? Why the hell not.

Man, save that namby pamby, 'just-for-fun' talk for wfa. 'Fun' gives you no license to go half-assed.

I looked at that character & thought the same damn thing. Nothing about it seems to represent illness incarnate other than the fact that he's green. If you're going to toy with that big & ubiquitous an idea, you give yourself A LOT to work with. Yet absolutely none of that is coming through in Mr. Kung Fu McElven Gaijin here. It wouldn't be a thing if he was supposed to be just some sickness guy, but this is the motherfucking elemental force of all disease & illness we're dealing with here. If you're not going to play that up, the result, while maybe 'fun' is ultimately pretty generic, even if he's got some super saiyan apocalypse form with goo tentacles. As a matter of fact, especially.

And yes, admittedly, horses can be dicks to draw, but noses are pretty damn easy.

Also, enlarging virus & bacteria? His whole MO as a horseman is to get people sick. How's enlarging figure into that? It's not like it's going to get people sicker. If anything, they'll be too big to enter orifices & be rendered completely useless.

And since I'm already on this kick, shouldn't a neo nazi polar bear shave himself to be a skinhead? It'd be way more interesting.

I wasn't really planning on joining the fray, but I might come back with a little something something later. Show you scamps a thing or two on how to design a character.

« Reply #53 on: Sep 07, 2011, 06:51 AM »
And since I'm already on this kick, shouldn't a neo nazi polar bear shave himself to be a skinhead? It'd be way more interesting.
But they have black skin. :0

« Reply #54 on: Sep 07, 2011, 07:02 AM »
But they have black skin. :0
Like I said: way more interesting.

« Reply #55 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Okay, yeah, sure. Sorry for thinking fun is important. No need to be a dick because you disagree, even if that is your schtick.

I didn't disagree with Fowlie's critique, I did say that maybe he'd like the feedback and make the changes. In fact, he loved the feedback, so Fowlie did a good job there.

« Reply #56 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Also, no need to bring WFA into this, as if they were some lesser site (that's how it came off, anyways). They do good and work hard. In fact, they have an art book out now, and it looks great.

« Reply #57 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:42 AM »
how about we all remember this is a news thread and not a discussion thread and shut the fuck up with all the butthurt and arguing valid comments not directed to you.

but I will say this;
'Fun' gives you no license to go half-assed.

.....damn right

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2011, 09:55 AM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #58 on: Sep 07, 2011, 09:47 AM »
ACCOUNT SUSPENDED
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2011, 10:18 AM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #59 on: Sep 07, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Please continue with application entries and comments to the artists applying......and leave the off topic and offside comments where they belong

« Reply #60 on: Sep 07, 2011, 12:48 PM »
I'd ask for edition of first post with list of characters submitted like RolfQu usually does it with tourneys - I got used to it, and innovation scares me ;)

Something feels funny about recent death tourneys with already existing and liked character's taking part in them ;)

« Reply #61 on: Sep 07, 2011, 02:19 PM »

Mara
female
height:5'2"
Weight:same as a duck

Mara is a very powerful witch, in the very traditional sense.  Potions, curses, fortune telling, magical weapons; she can get you anything, but everything has its price.  Her work does not come cheap, but results are sure.  Defaulting on your payment will cost you dear. 

She exists only in a medeval Void City, though sometimes she is allowed glimpses of other Void realities.

also, my tablet broke, sorry for the shitty colors, I will amend it in the final submission.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2011, 02:20 PM by endjoi »
killing the enemy with cuteness

« Reply #62 on: Sep 07, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Woooooooooo Woooot!  Hot SDT this year it looks like.

« Reply #63 on: Sep 08, 2011, 05:55 AM »
Damn... maybe I should reconsider and make up for the shitty job I did on the last tournament >_< All the entries are so great, I'm feeling an urge to join too (maybe I could give Sixtem a worth challenge from me this time uu).

« Reply #64 on: Sep 08, 2011, 08:25 AM »
((entry withdrawn))

In light of recent events, I have decided it might be best for me if I dropped out.  Sorry guys, but you know what they say, you can't go home again.

« Reply #65 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:53 AM »
Damn... maybe I should reconsider and make up for the shitty job I did on the last tournament >_< All the entries are so great, I'm feeling an urge to join too (maybe I could give Sixtem a worth challenge from me this time uu).

I'm afraid I'll get my ass kicked, but still, yesssssssssss

« Reply #66 on: Sep 11, 2011, 02:51 AM »
ENTRY WITHDRAWN
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011, 08:34 AM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #67 on: Sep 11, 2011, 02:54 AM »
Shit, suddenly my intro pages don't feel so special.

Glad you're here though!

« Reply #68 on: Sep 11, 2011, 03:29 AM »
AM I KAWAII? UGUU~

But honestly, it's good to see something different. And I'm excited to see Reavz enter.
I'm also excited to see how uncomfortable the character makes some people.

« Reply #69 on: Sep 11, 2011, 03:33 AM »

This should be used for actual web advertizing in the future to get new artists to join SDT.
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #70 on: Sep 11, 2011, 07:50 AM »
Hell Yes! Let me just gush for a minute... *reavvsss* Glad you could make it!
And that is a perfect ad..

« Reply #71 on: Sep 11, 2011, 08:13 AM »
 very nice entry Reavz.....always like to see somthing different and I always love to see passionately complete entries...(make sure you follow size restrictions for the actual comics)

but what does this mean?
I will take the high risk and potentially short lived opportunity to take a radically different approach to comics without trying to be professional or aiming for print quality, with the hope that it will provide new and useful insights. I hope everyone will enjoy the comics anyway!

...and yes that would make a great ad image for the SDT as a whole

« Reply #72 on: Sep 11, 2011, 08:14 AM »
Fuck yes Reavz! That girl is so creepy, it's great. And just so you know, you might have to submit her with an Engrishy sounding name like "Older Sister Burning Heart" because I don't think the system does punctuation. I could be wrong though, I know we had the conflict with Qyzex's Russian character's special characters in his name.
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2011, 08:17 AM by angieness »
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #73 on: Sep 11, 2011, 08:57 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! ♥

but what does this mean?

For Cherry and Black Cat I tried to follow guidelines for professional print in dpi, image size, text size, use of language, line width, and so forth, while some bad drawing habits made it even more taxing. So it got me stuck because it requires a lot of energy that I didn't have any more (hence my retirement).
In an attempt to find ways that will streamline things and to break those crippling habits, I am not going to follow those same guidelines for Older Sister's Burning Heart. Instead I will be experimenting with things I have no intention of pursuing professionally.
The posted intro comic is done how I draw casually, for fun, but have never applied to a large project. Making it turned out to be both pleasant and not taxing at all, so I look forward to exploring it further and see what exactly it is that makes it so much more accessible. But, like I said, it's not ready for professional work as it is; I am not interested in making a career out of faux-manga. It's from a culture across the world that I didn't grow up with, so I don't think I will be able to take it much further than a loving homage.

And just so you know, you might have to submit her with an Engrishy sounding name like "Older Sister Burning Heart" because I don't think the system does punctuation.
Thank you for the heads up. How do I change the name of a submission?

Here is the advertisement on it's own, for those interested.

Edit: Since the source comic is no longer available, please do not use this poster anywhere.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2011, 02:58 PM by Reavz »

« Reply #74 on: Sep 11, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Looks like your submission is fine, there weren't any errors so you're good.
Kittens wearins mittens

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Khavaj EodMorrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - May 14, 2024, 11:58 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

124 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 126.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us