Shojin's Art Thread

Shojin's Art Thread
« on: Aug 07, 2010, 11:32 AM »
I don't believe I have an art thread of my own yet.  So here it is! : D

For now, I just have school related stuff, but I will definitely put other stuff up here as well, later down the line.

So to start, here are some of the pieces I've done for Creature Design class.

Re: Shojin's Art Thread
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Hey man, these animal studies are pretty cool. I'm more enamored by your creature designs moreso than the little cartoony guys of them. I think trying more dynamic views would be a really good help on getting the feel for these animals, as opposed to just the one shot. You should totally make more of these, they're definitely neat.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2010, 12:04 PM »
The Armoured Wolf is badaaaaaaassss. Cool stuff dude =O

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Here's the rest of my summer school work including the final project.

And last but not least, my final project:

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2010, 12:26 AM »
It's kickass you're doing those skeletal, muscular and full body drawings of the animals. But those little cartoon guys, what a departure from it! Looks like you got a good grasp of the animals you're drawing, but now prove it! You may know em from inside out but do you know em from any angle? Could you draw em doing anything you wanted? Work on that! By the way can you draw humans, or do you have drawings of them? Life studies/drawings would be the best.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2010, 03:16 PM »
@ Roflq: Yeah, the cartoony guys are actually a requirement of the assignment.  I'm not too good at doing stylized versions of creatures.  And it was also part of the assignment to do side views only.  The Leopard Mandrill didn't follow that spec and I got points docked off for it. >.>X;;  But now that school is over i will continue to work on the creatures and put them in more dynamic poses.  I also need to revise them, some of them need reworking.

@ Orange: Armored Wolf is one of my favorites, glad you like it. :D

@ ClassicGuardian:  As I mentioned to Roflq, the cartoon guys were a part of the assignment, not too great at doing cartoon animals.  Now that classes are over and I don't have to hold to any specifications, I'm definitely going to work with these creatures and give them more dramatic poses.  Hey, I might even use them in my circus comics, you never know.

I can draw people, are you asking about skeletal and the whole shebang?  Or just life drawings, which are scattered at the moment.  I need to dig up some of those and put them up.  Or maybe I'll just do new stuff.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Here's some new work both school and void related.

Here's a sketch of my version of Poseidon for my portraiture project for my water color class:

And here's some sketches of Ivan I did last night.  I was experimenting on drawing him differently which is why all 3 images of him have different eyes and stuff.

The first one I was going for more realistic looking eyes.  The 2nd one is sort of a fusion of semi-realistic and manga.  The 3rd one has slightly more cartoony eyes.  All of them are rather appealing to me style-wise so I might try each of them out in the future or at least one of them.  Don't mind the last one I got tired and just...yeah...

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2010, 01:24 AM »
Awesome. You should do a full color realistic portrait just once. I'd love to see a "if Ivan walked in the room right now and sat down next to me, this is what he would look like" type deal. Your Poseidon says you can do realism well, so I know you're capable.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2010, 12:18 PM »
Sure, I'll give the realistic Ivan a try some time. The Poseidon picture is pretty much done. I'll have a picture up soon.

Here are new sketches done in a new style I'm pursuing for Ivan.  I'll be refining it more and post a new character design sheet sometime after the next week is over.

Re: Shojin's Art Thread (updated)
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:16 AM »
Character design stuff I did for children's book illustration class:

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:21 AM »
Loving that style, you should definitely try a comic in it!
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:58 PM »
it's all about those eyeglobes :D

« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2011, 01:25 PM »
@ angie: I'll eventually do a comic in or one similar to it eventually.

@ pyras: lol, yes the big plate sized eyes.

Here's something I'm working on for digital painting class, these are just thumbs.  I actually like this creature in the thumbs probably enough to eventually make it into a character here, after refining it of course.  It's a giant deep sea dragonfish.

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2011, 07:33 PM »
WIP for class, done in oil:

Watercolor:

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Fantastic stuff.

« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Shoj! Do more animal studies!  Those are raaaaaad!

« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2011, 02:21 AM »

Watercolor:

Hehe, Whale fin caught in his beard delights me.  Rad stuff all up in this thread.

« Reply #17 on: Apr 11, 2011, 10:58 PM »
Glad you guys like my stuff, animal studies will probably have to wait until I get more time.  Will continue to post more school stuff.  Here's something I did for my digital painting class.

This is my first time working with Corel Painter.  It's a frustrating program, but I'm going to keep working at it until I get better.  I think it's not too bad for a first try.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2011, 04:46 PM »
This is my master copy assignment from my oil painting class.  I've also included the reference.  The artist of the master copy is Burt Silverman.

Ref: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/Shojin/School%20Work/burtonsilverman.jpg

Mine:

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Oh wow! I think that's really good. I don't feel I could offer anything too concrete, especially since you posted the reference (I think that was a good idea) the difference I observe the most is maybe the limbs are slightly smaller, and that your version looks "duller" in terms of color (not a bad thing on its own, I think) And I'm sure a few other things here and there. I don't know much about painting or oil but this kinda thing looks really difficult and I think you did pretty good on it. Even the background looks rather close (I especially notice that figure) Think you'll be doing another one of these again?

« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2011, 06:17 PM »
I'm vey impressed with the replica of this painting. there are minor issues pointed out by Guardian. but its a long process to get something too look exactly the same. I actually like your version  looks more moody. i see by this that you have a great ability for painting and i hope you keep at it. not many people cant paint as well as you do. and you should be super proud. A+

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 02:06 PM »
@ ClassicalGuardian: Actually the colors look a lot closer to the actual picture, the photo wasn't in the best lighting.  I actually do see the proportion problems looking at it now.  lol, when I first started doing oil painting last year everything looked really really flat and no where near realistic.  So it's nice to see that I'm improving.

@ Ponbiki: Thanks.  I hope to continue painting.  I'm starting to like oil painting a little more now though it still frustrates me.  My teachers always tell me it takes at least 25 years to master what they do so if I'm lucky and keep practicing I'll be pro when I hit 50 hahaha.

Anyway, here's a WIP of my final project for my oil painting class.  I'll post the final image when I finish sometime this coming week or next week when things die down.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2012, 05:23 PM »

« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2012, 07:00 PM »
That tiger is killing me with cuteness! Tigers being my favorite animal and all I of course love that. I think overall these all show a lot of improvement! I look forward to seeing some more comics from you
Kittens wearins mittens

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Khavaj EodMorrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - May 14, 2024, 11:58 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

154 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 217.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us