The Style of Me

New Progress
« Reply #25 on: Aug 15, 2010, 11:30 PM »
Me messing around with the hands again. My friend i drew in cartoony form lol. ( wit the fro )

Practicin a lil bit on the toes/foot ( ignore the small box i drew.... ;D )

Drew my sister ( top left ), then my woman ( bottom left ), then a rough...rough sketch of me n her ( bottom right )  :P

Finally my most recent one which I finished drawing a few minutes ago would be on of my other friends. She was definantly a challenge, none thee less, I gave it my all.

~May the Cookie Crumble~

Re: The Style of Me
« Reply #26 on: Aug 16, 2010, 12:49 AM »
These are looking fine, Good studies. It would be nice to see more completed stuff though. Inks and color plz~

« Reply #27 on: Aug 16, 2010, 01:04 AM »
These are looking fine, Good studies. It would be nice to see more completed stuff though. Inks and color plz~

I'm not really good with color, and don't really have photoshop at the moment..(sadly). But if there is other *raw* material i can use, please do inform.

*cough* like a particular marker brand lol or would a sharpie ink pen/permanent marker (ultra fine point) do fine?
~May the Cookie Crumble~

« Reply #28 on: Aug 16, 2010, 01:17 AM »
Well, for traditional coloring I use Prisma marker and/or Prisma color pencils. For inks I use micron pens, but if I don't plan on coloring the piece than I go with regular ballpoint pens. Sharpies are good too, but mostly for covering up large empty spaces.

« Reply #29 on: Aug 16, 2010, 01:37 AM »
Well, for traditional coloring I use Prisma marker and/or Prisma color pencils. For inks I use micron pens, but if I don't plan on coloring the piece than I go with regular ballpoint pens. Sharpies are good too, but mostly for covering up large empty spaces.

wow thanks a lot. I will def. look into that.
~May the Cookie Crumble~

Progress Update
« Reply #30 on: Aug 17, 2010, 11:10 PM »
So far this is my progress. Think I am getting better with the head. Currently making attempts to attach it to the body. In addition I also need to practice on my Overall anatomy, but I think I am slowly getting the hang of it.

including the hands as well lol

(ignore top left box  :P )

my second attempt

my first attempt

I am still trying to throw in variety with facial features and get used to it, and as far as the Mohawk randomness...I was bored lol.
~May the Cookie Crumble~

« Reply #31 on: Aug 18, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Looking better! The second attempt in those last two images shows a lot of improvement
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #32 on: Aug 18, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Hey, not bad, not bad at all, you're looking much much stronger than when you started this thread man. Keep going! See what just a few days did for you.

« Reply #33 on: Aug 20, 2010, 09:25 PM »
@Angie- Thanks, really putting in my efforts to put in what I've learned so far.( Lol think I might start on some fan art *cough* *cough* )

@Rolfqu- Much appreciation. Def. been reading up on The Andrew Loomis and been doing my best not only to adapt, but also form it into my own individual style. And by the way....DRAWING FROM LIFE IS HARD lol....just needed to get that off my chest.

Overall, havn't drawn anything new lately, but here are a few old pics i sketched up a while back.

( they all range between  feb. of 2010- june of 2010

~May the Cookie Crumble~

« Reply #34 on: Aug 21, 2010, 02:52 PM »
I think it may help you to try to start with the underlying structure of the human form, before doing any sort of contour or detailing.

Examples:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/Qyzex/Sketches/LifeDrawing_3.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/Qyzex/Sketches/LifeDrawing_4.jpg

You see how there are massive construction lines and basic underlying shapes? Doing that first will help you to nail down basic anatomy, a good pose, and it's easier to stay loose this way.

My suggestion is to go out and practice drawing people while the move. Don't do detail, just do the most basic of structures. Maybe even show the process of moving. This will help you in many ways, such as learning to draw different movements of the human body, learning to draw loose, and learning to draw fast.

« Reply #35 on: Aug 22, 2010, 10:34 AM »
I think it may help you to try to start with the underlying structure of the human form, before doing any sort of contour or detailing.

Examples:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/Qyzex/Sketches/LifeDrawing_3.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m55/Qyzex/Sketches/LifeDrawing_4.jpg

You see how there are massive construction lines and basic underlying shapes? Doing that first will help you to nail down basic anatomy, a good pose, and it's easier to stay loose this way.

My suggestion is to go out and practice drawing people while the move. Don't do detail, just do the most basic of structures. Maybe even show the process of moving. This will help you in many ways, such as learning to draw different movements of the human body, learning to draw loose, and learning to draw fast.

wow, thnx for the advice. i will def. keep it in mind, n' put it into practice.
~May the Cookie Crumble~

« Reply #36 on: Aug 22, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I'd also suggest drawing a little darker, or at least adjusting the levels on the drawings. You current scans are really faint, which makes it hard to see what the drawing looks like. Some subtleties will almost always be lost from scanning, but this can be minimized to a negligible level.

« Reply #37 on: Aug 23, 2010, 11:44 AM »
I'd also suggest drawing a little darker, or at least adjusting the levels on the drawings. You current scans are really faint, which makes it hard to see what the drawing looks like. Some subtleties will almost always be lost from scanning, but this can be minimized to a negligible level.

thnx 4 the heads up. i will keep that in mind next time i scan an image
~May the Cookie Crumble~

Update
« Reply #38 on: Aug 25, 2010, 12:37 PM »
I've been busy lately with school prep. and work. but still managed to have time to lay out a proper sketch from time to time. SO far the hands are quite difficult but I am slowly getting the hang of it.

And below here is me refining one of my old drawings, and adding in what I've learned so far.

~May the Cookie Crumble~

« Reply #39 on: Aug 25, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Dude, I wanted to start of saying that you've improved a whole WHOLE lot from the beginning of this thread to page 3, which is totally rad. And that you're so willing to listen to CC, which is also rad.

So here are some suggestions from me, first off do you use wireframes when you draw? I ask because I'm not sure if you do or if you just erase them before you scan. (haha cleaner than me for sketches) If you don't I'd recommend them, it will really show you a better preview of your anatomy before you start actually blocking a person in.

Second, since you've been trying to work on life drawing here is a website that I'm pretty sure it very well known on void.

Posemaniacs.com is basically a gesture drawing site where you can set up a slideshow of poses and gesture draw them during the time limit. Sixtem fills up whole sketchbooks doing this sometimes and it really really helps improve ones anatomy skills. It'll be hard at first, because its a very short amount of time than what you're probably used to but the key is to capture the whole form, not the details. Practicing a bit with it whenever you get the free time will be very benficial.

« Reply #40 on: Aug 25, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Wow...heh ;D thanx for the comments and the website. I will def. put it to use! Also, as far as the wire-frames, I actually used to draw free-handedly, but now-a-days I use wire-frames, especially for the face and torso. But it is still a little difficulty for me to align the arms(hands), and legs all together.

---> And I do tell myself *practice*, *practice*, *practice*

:o checkin out the website now, and it sure looks like a challenge but I am def. up for it.

As always, I will keep everyone posted.

BY THE WAY!!!! I am getting my 1st tablet. ( Wacom Bambo Pen Tablet /from amazon.com\)

Figured I would try and give you all some clean updates since I finally got my hands on Adobe Photoshop CS5 .
~May the Cookie Crumble~

« Reply #41 on: Aug 26, 2010, 09:51 AM »
I think you could also benefit by filling in more space on the page. I notice when you don't have a lot of things on one page they're only taking up about half of the available space.  This  is something I got told a lot because I always had my nose down on the paper, I couldn't really see I was using so little of my page until I was finished.  I don't know about you, but when I started to use the full page, I realized I could spend more time on the little things, better use poses, and it gave me the ability to test my spacial senses and compositional design capabilities.

Try some really rough gesture work, pretty much like wire frames.  You give yourself a vague idea of a pose, and then you leave it like that.  It's very handy to draw small gestures when thinking of larger poses for comics, then you can spare the energy of drawing full detailed figures and finding out it doesn't feel right. The way I learned to do these it to focus on the shapes and the weight.  Use a thicker line, or darken the lines in areas where there is stress on the body, and don't bother with details.  Focus on getting as many done in a small period of time as possible.  With gestures, the more you make, the more you learn, really. It also helps to use references, as it always does, really. There was a site I'd seen once where they used a poser type program to make slideshows of poses, and you could set the time in-between sliding from anything between 5 seconds to however many minutes. If anyone else here knows it, hopefully they can give it to you as I've long since forgotten.

« Reply #42 on: Aug 26, 2010, 05:48 PM »
I believe the website Mintley is referring to is http://www.posemaniacs.com/, though it's possible there's other sites for generating poses. For gesture drawings I know a lot of people use this site, though I have heard it be criticized  for...Well, not being life drawings, and therefore being less effective. I have no opinion on that, but I do know there's a section where you can look at and rotate 3D models of a male body as well as a plethora of hands. I haven't heard much on it's effectiveness but it looked good to me.

It's neat you have the pose studies you have, and that's great. I'm nearly certain everyone will direct you to life drawing classes or going out and drawing people in every day life, so if you don't know what to do you could definitely go straight to those. However if you're like me and situations don't always permit going to draw from life, I personally would recommend this book, "The human figure in motion" by Eadweard Muybridge. The photos are all black and white and show quite a bit of age but the clarity is decent enough to make some gesture drawings, and there's quite an amount of variety in all the poses and motions he has the models do.

---> And I do tell myself *practice*, *practice*, *practice*

Well that's great news! Keep doing what you're doing and you can't go wrong.

« Reply #43 on: Aug 26, 2010, 06:24 PM »
heh, epic wow. thnx again 4 the advicen and tips, nice 2 know i am gettin sum void-love lol
~May the Cookie Crumble~

progress update 18-20
« Reply #44 on: Aug 28, 2010, 10:56 PM »
 :-\

Ok so yea...some-what got my chance to attach the head to the body (torso) properly, But I am still currently practicing still. As far as the rest of the anatomy I am now up to level were I know how long the arms and legs should be. ( elbows at waist, wrist/hand  on thighs/groin/special place lol ). Yet, everything is still a tad bit difficult. I did two sketches at work and as far as Jay n' Jello. ( Personal characters ) twas my 4th attempt in applying what I've learned to try and bring them to life...but there still looking very "rough" to me. I know for sure my hands and legs still need much more work, and even possibly the neck on my characters, but hey overall i guess thats for you all to point out.

While at work i tried to put in some variety...but yea...please do not hold back on anything that must be said lol. 

I AM ALL EARS!!! (eyes....*cough*)
~May the Cookie Crumble~

« Reply #45 on: Aug 29, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Wow man, what an improvement from when you rolled on in here! You're looking so much smoother now.  Naturally keep practicing, no one ever escapes that.

But I see you're ignoring those feet in that first page. Make yourself some feet, everyone's gonna fall down otherwise. Do some foot studies and I also would recommend working more face/head studies to figure out how the face looks when being hit or positioned in any way besides head on. But you're doing solid work here dude, keep it up.

« Reply #46 on: Aug 29, 2010, 08:05 AM »
 ;D thnx. RoflQu
~May the Cookie Crumble~

« Reply #47 on: Aug 29, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Your actionny stuff is really fluid. Lookin' great man! On top of those feet, try to study some muscles as well. Chest and arms and particular.

You're doing an excellent job :3

« Reply #48 on: Aug 29, 2010, 08:30 PM »
thnx, really appreciate the advi. and compliments.
~May the Cookie Crumble~

« Reply #49 on: Aug 30, 2010, 09:16 PM »
felt like trying to drawing all day, and did something a lil diff. when i was at work lol.

by they way, most of my porportions were rough, cause i drew them while i was on the train & bus.

and also during class lol.

lol had to try out something RoflQu. XD you could say that I am some-what of a fan.
~May the Cookie Crumble~

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Khavaj EodMorrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - May 14, 2024, 11:58 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

123 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 193.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us