Awards!

Re: Awards!
« Reply #25 on: Apr 14, 2009, 04:07 PM »
seems that Avid Voter is the easiest one, becuase I have it XD

Actually it may be harder to get considering how a lot of people don't vote.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #26 on: Apr 14, 2009, 06:19 PM »
seems that Avid Voter is the easiest one, becuase I have it XD

Actually it may be harder to get considering how a lot of people don't vote.
That's strange, cause I rather do numbers than express my thought through words XD

I would be aiming at storyteller, but I'd have to be on the B level first XD could there be a C version, like BoringTalker XD

Edit - If I used all my gatekeepers are normal characters and have them do 1weekers I'd might get the Creator... but is it consider similar to posting 1 letter per comment to get Commenter?
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2009, 06:21 PM by Wolcik »

« Reply #27 on: Apr 14, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Edit - If I used all my gatekeepers are normal characters and have them do 1weekers I'd might get the Creator... but is it consider similar to posting 1 letter per comment to get Commenter?

Well, in my opinion it would be since it kind of sounds like you'd be getting them in for the wrong reasons. Sounds more like you'd just would be trying to get an award then actually put thought into the stories for the characters (especially if you'll only do one week battles with them and maybe not use them afterwards)..hmm, if you want to get other characters in maybe try to make sure people will be interested in reading about them. I mean, you can get them all in if you want, but do it because you really want to  and will put thought into their story; I don't think you should do it just for an award. That's just my opinion though.

« Reply #28 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:02 PM »
I'm certain if Wolcik is willing to put in more effort for getting awards, he wants to improve as well. It's not a 'wrong reason', in my opinion. He's done several BBs and made a whole array of characters for the House of W group, after all, so it's not like he doesn't try to put thought into them and their stories as it stands. You kind of have to put thought into them to earn some good results.

Awards are kind of meant to be kind of motivational for people to work harder to some extent, so they feel like they've accomplished more within their stay at VOID. Whether it's going to end up making people get more characters in, or to up their quality of their work, it seems to be encouraging the aim to improve so there's a little something to look forward to.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2009, 09:03 PM by Airlight »

« Reply #29 on: Apr 15, 2009, 01:02 AM »
After hanging around here for 5+ years I don't have a single award? I've really got to pick up the slack. I think I can get platinum for my next battle, though.

More is planned for these, but I can't give a go-live date for features like comparing against other artists and some of the other stuff that's planned.

Could you elaborate on this? How are artists going to be compared?

« Reply #30 on: Apr 15, 2009, 04:12 AM »

Yes, you would get creator. But it may be better to just do longer deadlines and take your time, you may get other awards in the process by doing so.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #31 on: Apr 15, 2009, 09:04 AM »
I have a suggestion; Awards for artist matches/collaborative comics?

Quote from: Example
Team Player - Complete 5 collaborative comics.

« Reply #32 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:12 AM »
Something for doing artistic battles would be nice.

« Reply #33 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:43 AM »
I wouldn't consider these awards as much as they are Exploits. It's still the same thing but the attitude of it isn't really to give you shiny banana stickers for doing a "good job" in void, god knows that this isn't something I can put in my resume (awards not void). It's more or less a very neat addition to participating in void more often and it definitely improves the color of the place when I get to see what awesome shit people including myself have done. 

On that note how about some flavor "awards" like D-Bombs for defaulters , UltraViolence for making comics with sexual, and violent content, or even Happy Bunny Rainbow Sticker Land for doing a comic that can actually be age appropriate for kids. This way if people want a reason to try out different genres they can get shinies for it !

« Reply #34 on: Apr 15, 2009, 12:13 PM »
Monday, all this talk of banana stickers and flavors make me reminisce of those scented markers we all got high off of in elementary school. ( thems was the good ol' days of youth! )

But More of my two cents.... and back to the whole annual best of subject. I think  broader categories like 'artistic battles' could be something that we could all vote on nearing the end of the year ( along with maybe 'most disturbing', 'most improved', etc...) to help shape up for another best of annual.

It's much easier to figure stuff like 'Void Veteran', 'ranks', and 'creator' where as ' most ____'  and ' best_____'
are a little harder to approach, especially when it's only a small group of people awarding the artists, and that could lead to some suspicion of favoritism.

So I say we should perhaps let the community decide for those categories through an annual vote system.

« Reply #35 on: Apr 15, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Yeah, these awards were designed mostly to reward people for participating as well as encourage people to participate. Which is why there's rewards for types of battles and how many times you vote. But you also are rewarded by doing an awesome comic in the MG/A/B/C rank awards.

And I don't know about Toast, but yeah, I'm not really down with rewards specifically given out by a group of people. Considering how some people think the mods are shady and have some elaborate evil plan going on, it's just not a good idea. That's why it's better to just give awards that can be given out by a computer that just checks to see how many of whatever you have and such.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #36 on: Apr 15, 2009, 01:06 PM »
Yeah, these awards were designed mostly to reward people for participating as well as encourage people to participate. Which is why there's rewards for types of battles and how many times you vote. But you also are rewarded by doing an awesome comic in the MG/A/B/C rank awards.

And I don't know about Toast, but yeah, I'm not really down with rewards specifically given out by a group of people. Considering how some people think the mods are shady and have some elaborate evil plan going on, it's just not a good idea. That's why it's better to just give awards that can be given out by a computer that just checks to see how many of whatever you have and such.
Rather... considering that mods are shady and have some elaborate evil plan going on XD

Anyway, I like the idea of easy awards like they are now and additional.

If there were bad awards (like in diffrent color) then we could know that some people will most likly to default, but that also put too much bad light at them, and might make them not want to fix their attutude.
What if person changed and would always keep his/her deadline? Would bad sticker go away? Would this person have to go to mod and ask to get rid of it, beg and try to persuade this mod that he/she is no more a defaulter?
Having voilance and sex isn't a bad thing (mostly) so poiting it out could just engourage people that like this, and warn people that might feel offended.
But all that stuff can be done by actually looking at the number of defaults and watching/reading battles.

About those awards for being the best in a cathegory like "improving" "having best comic" - except of how to judge that - how often would it be? Once a year would lead to giving at least 3 or 5 such awards. Once a moth might be too much.

EDIT - btw. I rather make valuable characters than just some with cool design - and I consider mu gatekeepers a little dull XD
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2009, 01:10 PM by Wolcik »

« Reply #37 on: Apr 15, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Couple more things:

We'll probably have a "X collaborative comics" once those are more in use

We will not be doing negative 'awards' such as "Deadbeat - Default at least 5 times" because the whole point is to encourage use, not misuse.

All of the current Awards are easy because a script runs nightly and finds whichever artists meet the needed criteria.  There have been suggestions about giving awards like "Rising Star - Achieve rank within the Top 10 Artists" which are certainly doable... things like "Foul Mouth - Place 20+ swears in a comic" requires a lot of manual intervention.

We likely WILL do a Best of 2009, though I don't yet know what form that will take... community vote or more like last year where we selected a small group and solicited opinions.  I would like to hand out "Fan Favorite - Voted Best Artist of 2009" type awards because they're infrequent enough that the extra work isn't an issue and it really is something special that should be noted.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #38 on: Apr 15, 2009, 05:59 PM »
On that note how about some flavor "awards" like D-Bombs for defaulters
looks like Bicentennial mans getting a head start!

« Reply #39 on: Apr 15, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Just wanted to toss in some suggestions, something like
Speed freak: Some number of comics completed using one week deadlines outside of tourneys. 
Perfectionist: Some number of comics completed using the full amount? 
I dunno, stuff I thought of. ::)
Maybe some awards for longest page counts on average?

« Reply #40 on: Apr 15, 2009, 09:18 PM »
don't get carried away with these things. i like them because they encourage participation & get people to shoot for goals even if it's essentially a no-prize. but the instant it starts getting too game-y is going to make this whole thing more trouble than its worth.

another recommendation though could be something about page lengths. angie'd have that one locked haha

« Reply #41 on: Apr 15, 2009, 09:21 PM »
haha well it's also possible to make an award for having so many pages total across your stay at Void. Like 100, 200, 500, whatever.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #42 on: Apr 16, 2009, 06:54 AM »
haha well it's also possible to make an award for having so many pages total across your stay at Void. Like 100, 200, 500, whatever.

I think I have somewhere like 300 pages made here > >

« Reply #43 on: Apr 28, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Greetings All,

I raised this issue 4 months ago in the Suggestions thread. I suppose I was just ahead of my time and because of that my suggestion disappeared into the VOID. So I’ll raise some of them again. Note that these are “Record Holders” for excelling rather than “Awards” for reaching milestones. And they are all calculateable.

Highest Scoring Comic
Highest Number of Comics (Most Prolific Artist)
Highest Quality score (Most Excellent Artist)
Highest Creative score (Most Creative Artist)
Highest Entertainment score (Most Entertaining Artist)
Highest Ranking Characters
Most Desirable Characters
Most Improved Artist
Most Accurate Judge
Longest Winning Streak

The “Record Holders” can be split into…
“Current Leader” (eg Current Leader for Highest Scoring Comic this year),
“Year Champion” (eg Year Champion for Highest Scoring Comic of 2008) and
“All-Time Champion” (eg All-Time Champion for Highest Scoring Comic of All-Time).

It may be that you don’t like giving kudos to a single person and that you prefer to give it to groups of people. In that case you could consider the “Gold”, “Silver” and “Bronze” standards. “Gold” for those in the top 15%, “Silver” for those in the range of 30% to 15%, and “Bronze” for those in the range of 45% to 30%. For example, if the average ‘Quality’ rating of all of an artist’s comics is in the top 15% compared to other artist’s ‘Quality’ rating then they receive the “Gold Standard for Quality Comics”.

If it needs explaining, the ‘Highest Ranking Characters’ is the artist whose suite of available characters rank higher than any other artist’s. Maybe this should be limited to those with more than one character. For example, Artist One has two characters of rank 3 and 27. Artist Two has two characters of rank 4 and 10. Artist Two earns ‘Highest Ranking Characters’ because (4 + 10)/2 ranks higher than (3 + 27)/2.

If it needs explaining, the “Most Desirable Characters” is the artist whose suite of available characters are in the most number of hitlists for the longest amount of time.

If it needs explaining, the “Most Improved Artist” is calculated by comparing the score (or the average of Quality, Creativity and Entertainment) for an artist’s earliest comics (first 10%[?]) with their latest comics (latest 10%[?] of their submissions). The person with the steepest gradient is the “most improved artist”.

If it needs explaining, the “Most Accurate Judge” is best explained with an example. Person A judges a comic to be 6, 5, 6. Person B judges a comic to be 2, 4, 5. After the voting/ rating has finished, the ratings of all the voters are averaged and the comic receives the ratings of 5.5, 4.5, 5.5. Person A was closer to the mark, closer to the final rating, and is thus a more accurate judge of comics.

I’m sorry if this is “wordy”. I could have just said something like, “Platinum - Complete at least one comic with an MG rank” then you would all ask me what “MG” stands for, and I would say “Multi-Grain!”

These are my suggestions. Mull them over and decide their worth. Please don’t attack me because you think I’m trying to run the show. My other posts in the forums have received quite alot of unwarranted negative feedback!

« Reply #44 on: Apr 28, 2009, 03:47 PM »
Since it seems as though they're all things that can be judged mathematically they could be theoretically possible, it just depends if Toast has the tools to code them. Stuff similar to 2 or 3 of those were suggested when the awards started to get planned so I'm assuming they're in the works, I can't say which though since I'm not sure if they're getting used. The only one that seems like it'd be a problem is Most Accurate Judge.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #45 on: Apr 28, 2009, 04:28 PM »
My other posts in the forums have received quite alot of unwarranted negative feedback!

Just tell people to shut up and move on.

Like Angie said, a lot of that stuff is technically possible.  There are leaderboards coming (which I'm mentioning here for the first time) that will address some of the "Highest X Score", "Most Comics", and whatnot... but the awards are something you earn and can't be taken away.  Most comics should be Fel today, and Hiemie in a few months (not realistic, but possible).  So we're not likely to go down that route, but we are looking other things to give people to recognize achievements.

Most desirable character... we already have the Most Wanted list
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #46 on: Apr 30, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Felony will keep his 1st rated character since he has over 50 battles with P2, and overlally over 60 battles done even if 10 of them were defaults it's still over 50 battles. You can't beat that quickly even if doing 1weekers all the time.

« Reply #47 on: Apr 30, 2009, 05:56 PM »
What I was talking about earlier: http://entervoid.com/leaderboard.php

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2009, 09:25 AM »
It would be cool if you got rewards for NOT defaulting. Like, 10 matches without a default, 15, 20...
And maybe for not using Extentions too. 10, 15, 20 matches without using an Extention.
Then it's not a negitive reward like some were suggesting with the D-bomb and stuff, but a positive one, that would motivate people not to default.

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2009, 09:35 AM »
It would be cool if you got rewards for NOT defaulting. Like, 10 matches without a default, 15, 20...

Why should people be rewarded for not defaulting? if they want awards so badly, shouldn't their aim be to not to default in order to get the other awards anyway?! hell, shouldn't their aim just be to not default, period?!

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Khavaj EodMorrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 11:58 AM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

153 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 294.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us