Tutorials

Re: Tutorials
« Reply #25 on: Apr 02, 2008, 03:01 PM »
I think a bigger problem I have with clothing than dealing with the folds and wrinkles though, is making it fit right. Whenever I draw clothes they end up as spandex, or purlap bags. I have trouble making them hang off of the character well, so that they seem an appropriate size.

Easy way to address that...

looking at things like catalogs & clothing ads for reference

or as Marley stated better

examine clothing in movies, magazines or *gasp* do life study in some outdoors location find a way to simplify it, incorporate it into your own work and then PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

as for folds, I have that book Andre suggested & while it's a little redundant at times, it's well worth looking for

-J
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2008, 03:04 PM by Kuro »

« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2008, 12:54 PM »
I was looking to start a new topic in here.... but is that a mod thing only?

Either way, this is old as hell, but it's always good to keep around & bound to help someone.
"Wally Wood's 22 Panels That Always Work (Or Some Interesting Ways To Get Some Variety Into Those Boring Panels Where Some Dumb Writer Has A Bunch Of Lame Characters Sitting Around Talking For Page After page!"

(via) Just A Handy Guide & Examples of Ways to Keep The Story Fresh & Interesting. Of course there's always more, but these are a good start.

-J

« Reply #27 on: Apr 10, 2008, 05:26 AM »
Heh, it might be old, but it's a good staple to use, Kuro.

Thanks for finding this, I had forgotten what it was called.
No... no... It's all within acceptable parameters...
- Famous last words

« Reply #28 on: Apr 15, 2008, 05:35 AM »
I've always wondered how you guys make rain.

« Reply #29 on: Apr 15, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Rain in Photoshop or traditionally?
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #30 on: Apr 16, 2008, 04:49 AM »
I was thinking photoshop at the time, even though that doesn't really help me much. But maybe (just brainstorming here) a tutorial on stuff that isn't your character that effects your comics would be helpful. Mood, backgrounds, weather, text even. But I'm probably being way too general. In fact, don't worry about it, now that I think about it, it's kinda the artists choice to make so there's no real point in doing a tutorial on it. I just wanted to know how you guys make computer rain in photoshop.

« Reply #31 on: Apr 16, 2008, 07:15 AM »
Well I'll put together a rain tutorial after work today, look for it in the Photoshop thread. I have been thinking about doing a tutorial on color and how it effects things, that one may take a bit longer since it's a much more broad topic but I'll try and cover it soon since it's very important and is something I've been wanting to touch on.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #32 on: Apr 16, 2008, 08:28 PM »
http://entervoid.com/board/index.php?topic=9939.msg159322#msg159322 Just added how to do rain to the Photoshop coloring tutorial.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #33 on: Jun 09, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Aha, but there is more to it then that!

A good tutorial isn't just instructions. It's tips and tricks from people who use the techniques everyday.
Thinks to look out for, things to avoid. 
Also keeping in mind, people who are reading the tutorial might be brand new to the software or material,
so what might seem straight forward to some, could be confusing to others.

There's a good article on hand-lettering at Blambot. Check it out:
http://www.blambot.com/handlettering.shtml

Also, since someone asked about how to do rain in Photoshop, here's an oldie from PolyKarbon:
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/effects/rain.htm

« Reply #34 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:24 PM »
I would like to request a tutorial. I seen it once on DA, but I seem to have lost track of it. It was a coloring tutorial for Photoshop and one of the steps explained how to make your whites transparent and keep only the black lineart. So, thats what I'd like to learn how to do. How can I delete all the white and keep only my black lineart?

(I understand that I could use the magic selection tool and select the white and delete, but their way seemed a lot easier and the results came out cleaner. Anyone know how it was done?)

« Reply #35 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:56 PM »
I would like to request a tutorial. I seen it once on DA, but I seem to have lost track of it. It was a coloring tutorial for Photoshop and one of the steps explained how to make your whites transparent and keep only the black lineart. So, thats what I'd like to learn how to do. How can I delete all the white and keep only my black lineart?

(I understand that I could use the magic selection tool and select the white and delete, but their way seemed a lot easier and the results came out cleaner. Anyone know how it was done?)

http://entervoid.com/board/index.php?topic=9939.msg161862#msg161862 Just did this, is this the way you were referring to?
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #36 on: Jun 10, 2008, 08:00 AM »
Yes, exactly what I was refering to. Thank you!

« Reply #37 on: Jun 17, 2008, 11:48 PM »
If you guys ever notice images breaking in any of my tutorials give me a heads up since Imageshack is far from the most reliable host
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #38 on: Jun 18, 2008, 07:39 PM »
I was wondering how to add texture.

« Reply #39 on: Jun 23, 2008, 07:10 PM »
Texture like what I do? Or trying to imply an actual physical texture through lineart and color?
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #40 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Like you do. :)

« Reply #41 on: Jun 30, 2008, 11:45 AM »
This may be posted somewhere else and I still haven't found it, but I thought I'd request it here just in case.

for a new kid looking to start making his/her own comics, it'd be nice to get a basic tutorial on how to start off with a comic page (page construction, layout, etc). From what I've been getting from the kids I'm watching make comics, they have ideas and drawings, but are kind of in the dark on how to start.

« Reply #42 on: Jun 30, 2008, 12:49 PM »
This may be posted somewhere else and I still haven't found it, but I thought I'd request it here just in case

like this? thanks to marley from a few months back

-J

« Reply #43 on: Jun 30, 2008, 01:28 PM »
Just added http://entervoid.com/board/index.php?topic=9939.msg162743#msg162743 Quick and Easy Texturing in Photoshop. Would have done it sooner but I was in Chicago. And I do think Marley's post covers what you wanted Kozi, unless you wanted something a little more in depth.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #44 on: Aug 17, 2008, 03:46 PM »
I'm sorry if this has been posted already, I just pretty much skimmed everything. But when you draw lines traditionally, then scan them into photoshop, how do you make it so that you can color them? Like, transfer only the lines to a transparent backround? I've tried to figure it out before and they ended up either fuzzy or choppy.

« Reply #45 on: Aug 17, 2008, 04:08 PM »
I'm sorry if this has been posted already, I just pretty much skimmed everything. But when you draw lines traditionally, then scan them into photoshop, how do you make it so that you can color them? Like, transfer only the lines to a transparent backround? I've tried to figure it out before and they ended up either fuzzy or choppy.

not that they're the best ways, but to color lines, i either go 'select > color range', sample the line & fill a new color on a separate layer (which should get that transparency effect you're looking for; or i just simply drop a 'color' layer over the existing layer with the line work, before going on to color the other layers.

-J

« Reply #46 on: Aug 17, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I'm fairly certain I cover coloring in http://entervoid.com/board/index.php?topic=9939.0 it should explain layers and such
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #47 on: Aug 25, 2008, 11:52 AM »
Oh, I must have missed that, thank you!

« Reply #48 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I know this thread is kinda old, but I had a question. Is there a tutorial that could help with drawing objects or people in motion? Or is working from photos a better way?
Thank you! :)

« Reply #49 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:42 PM »
The best advice I can give for drawing people in motion is to draw from life. Find somewhere that you can people watch and do some quick gesture drawings of them in action. The best way is to just go out there and try it and get practice in.
Kittens wearins mittens

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

443 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us