Sirius' New Sketchbook >: /

Re: Sirius' New Sketchbook
« Reply #50 on: Nov 07, 2009, 07:42 AM »
Her shoulders are raised unnaturaly and her line of action seems a bit off centre.
Try getting some tracing paper if you want to tool around with fixing this picture - scan it, print it in blue line and re ink it-

orrrrr just do it digitally on an extra layer 8|

I think that even though these drawings are inked you should try to develop the habit to be able to go back and edit yourself.  Sometimes I keep my pencils handy, and when I ink, I just reprint in blue line on another sheet of paper altogether. (Though I dont do this for comics as much )

Also, if you want to do a pose right, nothing less than getting up and acting it out in front of a mirror would solve 89 percent of your problems involved with drawing things naturally.

*Blue line is just my word for a very light blue that wont read to scanners or fax machines if you scan on grayscale.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2009, 07:46 AM by Monday »

« Reply #51 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:52 PM »
*Creeps into topic*

(Never finished)

I have been working on a shitton of intro comics but I'm not gonna post them unless people actually wanna see 'em.  The reason I think not is because I'm just revising them, so it will spoil the fun in my submission.  That said I have a single unrelated intro page that I'm not gonna use.

I'm out of college and am going back at the end of the month.  I am taking painting as my art class so please be patient and I'll post some really good stuff soon.  Right now I'm working on my submission in which I promised way sooner, this time I'm not being quite as picky but I still want something very respectable.  

I have noticed myself being way more patient and meticulous.  I no longer rush to get to the 'finsihed drawing', I plan out my poses and composition pretty much 100% of the time now and it shows.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2010, 09:08 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #52 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Your stuff is improving bunches! Just keep practicing, and keep drawing people from reference. This will be the step that goes from strictly realism into application of style.

Keep it up!

« Reply #53 on: Jan 24, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Thanks Pi, you're the man.  I appreciate your constant comments.  I'm going back to college on Tuesday.  Mad works coming soon (I'm taking Painting).  Can you guys give a painting noob some basic tips?  Also, I am gonna post some things I forgot to post, none are new, they are roughly the same age as my last post.

^^^This WAS one of my intro pages, and is by far my best page ever.  My intro is gonna be similar to this.  I am awaiting pens from Jetpens before I do my final intro submission, but they should be here by tomorrow. :D

^My character who I'm gonna submit and the villain she is pursuing. (Bad perspective on the gun  I know :/)

Also, I'm going to try to get into coloring in PS again.  I used to be decent at it, but I lost all my ability in it.  I know there are tutorials on this site(Which I'm gonna check out soon), but can someone recommend some others from across the web that'd compliment my style?  I love markers, but I sometimes feel they're a bit limiting in some ways.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2010, 02:08 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #54 on: Apr 07, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Starting my own comic today...Talked with Hiemie, who gave me an amazing pep talk.  I'm not leaving Void behind, its always on my mind but I'm more interested at the moment in starting my comic.  Anyways, here's a couple pics I haven't shown yet, but their will be comic pages in the next couple days.

« Reply #55 on: Apr 07, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Go for it! You're art has improved immensely throughout your posts.
Some poses look a little stiff but that's ok, it'll come together the more you practice  :)

good luck with your own project, i'm sure you'll smash it!
Pee Pee...Pee Pee Vagina!

« Reply #56 on: Apr 12, 2010, 09:44 AM »
Thanks man, I appreciate it.  I agree, I have never stopped drawing, so I'm happy I'm getting way better! :)  I have a question that each person will probably respond differently to (Or not).  When drawing comic pages, let's say I finish one (Pencils not ink), should I move onto the next page, or completely finish inking the first?  As in,  should I work with pencils, do a set of pages, then ink.  Orrrr pencil- ink- done pencil -ink- done.  I'm thinking penciling a good set of pages then inking is the best idea?  I have a page penciled and it looks great but I'll show soon.

« Reply #57 on: Apr 12, 2010, 09:55 AM »
In the past, before computers were invented  :P I would draw everything first and ink last.
Then when computers did come along I opted for straight digital art. Sketches first and 'inks' last.
So yeah, there's my 2 cents ;D
Pee Pee...Pee Pee Vagina!

« Reply #58 on: Apr 12, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Hm in my own case, I'm always chasing away this sense of ennui, so I work in a random order.  My pages are always in various orders of completion because I get bored of doing something like straight up pencilling for several pages.  So I may finish one panel completely and skip to a random panel I think is more interesting on another page.  Whether this method is right or wrong, I don't know, but my advice would be to do what feels comfortable for you and ensures that you'll complete stuff the quickest.

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2010, 09:11 PM »
I have some great sketches for some pages, but I'm trying to create a convincing village.  Having trouble with this, because I don't know what to use for a reference.  I mean, there's villages still around, but the effect I want to get is much smaller and such...So can anyone help me out with doing something like this?  I want this to look like an old style Irish village.

« Reply #60 on: Jun 07, 2010, 08:01 PM »

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2010, 08:09 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #61 on: Jun 07, 2010, 10:51 PM »
glad to see you're practicing, but it looks like you're not really applying your pose studies to your figures. everyone is still straight as a rod; peoples' posture isn't that good. If you need to do more gesture studies, go for it, but the most important thing is to just add more bend to the spines of your characters. twist the torso and shoulders, hunch people over; stuff like that. it'll give your figures more natural posture, which is the biggest thing issue right now.

keep practicing!

« Reply #62 on: Jul 15, 2010, 04:47 PM »

« Reply #63 on: Aug 05, 2010, 10:51 AM »
Dynamic poses...

Re: Sirius' New Sketchbook DYNAMIC POSES?
« Reply #64 on: Aug 05, 2010, 04:35 PM »
Like those poses!  Specially Mr Mohawk.

The last one still feels a little stiff.  Maybe angle the hips more to give a greater sense of power behind the kick?

Keep it up!

« Reply #65 on: Aug 05, 2010, 09:44 PM »
Thanks man!  You have no idea how much I appreciate this.  Hearing I've pulled off some good poses=:D :D :D  Trust me, my next comic will be way more dynamic in every way.

I have a new pic I forgot to post, so I'll just leave this here...Note:  The left leg is funky...

« Reply #66 on: Aug 06, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Think about how your body likes to move when posing characters. Certain joints tend to bend and rotate in certain directions better than others-- The only real exception is the ball and socket shoulder joints. Even the pelvis has limitations to it's rotation, often causing the leg to be rotated in one direction before the other in order to get specific angles.

The reason I say this is because I'm seeing a lot of poses and angles that look off, and I think it's because the joints are bending in funky ways-- not impossible ways, but ways that aren't normally very comfortable.

If you look at this guys arm, his elbow hasn't rotated very much, so the inside is pointing upwards a bit. But his palm is face down, which means the inside of his elbow should be point more towards his body. His spine also feels a bit stiff-- think of the spine as a nice, curvy line. A lot of a characters personality can be portrayed just in how they hold themselves, so think about how much a character should slouch or not slouch, how they like to rotate certain parts of their bodies (A brawler would have very basic but dramatic movements, while a more lithe/flexible character can have more unusual/offbalance postures).

I think I know what you were trying to do here, but it doesn't come across very clearly. Touching on the previously mentioned issue, her arm is bending in a really strange fashion-- We should only see the side of the elbow here, not the back of it in full view like this. I like the legs, but where the hips are positioned looks a little funky, and the whole angle on her head and torso imply we're looking from above, yet her feet/legs don't reflect this. There was a nice foreshortening guide over in the university section but I can't seem to find it now, but the short of it is this: Set your vanishing points inside your background/scenery. Keep in mind to build around the ideal things you want in the shot, like if you're focusing on an establishing shot, you want to keep attention to the background and what characters in the scene. If you have something you want to foreshorten, with still life/objects it's pretty easy-- just draw a square/cube around the object and line it up to the vanishing points, and draw within the cube. The same goes for people, but it's a little trickier to get all the aspects of a human figure in a foreshortening-- Best bet is to begin by doing only certain aspects of a character as foreshortening-- maybe a fist punching, or someone pointing, etc. Once you get the hang of that, keep practicing until you can line up your figure inside it and still keep everything proportional and coherent while expressing the angle you want.

Keep it up! I'm really liking what I'm seeing here and I think if you can get the hang of this you can impress me even more.

« Reply #67 on: Aug 06, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Wow, now that's a damn good critique. :)  I'm going to keep all this in mind and read it several times.  Thanks, man.

« Reply #68 on: Aug 06, 2010, 12:53 PM »
No problem! Posing and showing movement is the only thing I'll admit I'm pretty ok at (I SUCK OTHERWISE), and that probably comes from my animation background. Nonetheless, I always like to start off with a simple mannequin 'rig' or skeleton and work out my poses really deliberately. They don't need to be clean-- hell, they can be the messiest, most non-proportional, anatomically incorrect things you've ever drawn. But as long as they're expressive and show the character, you can work out the specifics and work on the corrections of the anatomy and proportions as you go along. My rule is Expression > Everything.

« Reply #69 on: Aug 29, 2010, 10:13 PM »

« Reply #70 on: Sep 02, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Just going down this page alone I can see how you're improving. I think you make some pretty good art, but poses are definitely what you need to work on most, so it's good to see you getting better in that regard.

The arms on this one seem a bit off. The left arm (Her left, not ours) seems like it's twisted unnaturally far, which may be part of the frankenstein theme, but if it's not then be careful with that. I don't think her muscles would maintain that position, so unless she's making a conscious effort to keep her arm like that it would probably have a less extreme twist to it. My other problem would be the length of the other arm seems too much compared to the twisted arm. The small twist on her body would probably offer a little foreshortening (not a whole lot, but a little) making her right arm shorter than her left one on the page.

« Reply #71 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:03 AM »

Second version (My fav)

This pic apparently has bad anatomy, especially in the arms.  Can someone help a brother out?  I personally feel the arms look okay, but my friend says they look awful.  But seriously, I'm way more worried about how short her thighs are.  
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2010, 07:49 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #72 on: Sep 15, 2010, 11:41 AM »
In terms of the arms, her right one appears longer than her left. Foreshortening should make it slightly shorter on the page than her left since her right is further away. Also, if that's her right elbow it shouldn't be visible. It should be pretty much on the opposite side of the arm from us. Her right thumb also appears to be positioned awkwardly. It looks like it's bent up too much.

The legs don't bother me as much really.

« Reply #73 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Ahhh, I see what you mean, man.  Like in the last crit, similar idea here.  I get it now, thanks. :)  My friend said it's impossible for her forearm to be wider than the upper arm.  Which is mostly why I was stressing, he said it looked extremely awkward, which I kind of disagreed with.  However, it is more of the position of the arm than that actual arm rendering.  Phew, thats easily fixed, but yeah thanks for your crits, Cherubas.  :)

« Reply #74 on: Oct 23, 2010, 07:04 AM »
All but the second one are for the webcomic I'm working on...Poses getting better, right?

COVER TIME!!!  Tell me which works best, BW or colour?

« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2010, 07:57 PM by Sirius »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

262 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 284.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us