Sirius' New Sketchbook >: /

Sirius' New Sketchbook >: /
« on: Jul 12, 2007, 04:16 PM »
Hey guys, I have been looking forward to getting into Void for over a year!  I have been lazy, just drawing characters, but I've definetly been trying to improve.  But with this sketchbook I will also try NEW stuff.  I want to get better, so when I go to Housatonic next year, I will be ready for the challenge.  

In this topic I will post all sorts of stuff (That's what I'm putting my mind to) including life drawings.  

So yeah, I'll post something I drew late last month.  

A background this month, for a comic (Which I'm still working on).

And here are some pics from a comic I'm working on, I want some critiques on these mostly.  Keep in mind some are dirty working, sorry I suck at scanning pencils.

Crits and comments are greatly appreciated. : )

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2011, 05:32 AM by Sirius »

Re: Sirius' New Sketchbook
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2007, 04:34 PM »
Dunno if is it because of Angie+Hiemie's story, but I think I saw some obscene things there haha

I liked the inked pieces, specially this cover of yours. The pencil stuff has a messy paper, you should make less pressure in the paper :P
By air

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2007, 01:55 PM »
Um just a small update before I do something more serious I guess (I'm having trouble with the life drawing I am doing).  I just can't make it look real enough I suppose...

If you guys want, I can post it, but I dunno.  I might just redo it.

Two of my older characters (As in I created them a long time ago).  I haven't drawn them in about a year, so I wanted to see how my new skills transferred over.

This is a new character I just designed.  Her basic story will be hard to understand without first knowing the basics of the whole story I am creating, so I'll hold off on that.  But her basic concept is she has a terminal disease and her life support is her brother who willingly volunteered to be connected to her.  How he provides her with nutrients/drugs that keep her body stable is a secret still (Not finished with the concept yet).

This is my main character, and no she doesn't use puppets to fight (I just felt like drawing plant puppets with her).  If I ever get into Void, she would be one of the characters I'd try to get in additionally.  She has a seed in her hand, and this is very important to her ability/story.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2007, 03:17 PM »
Your shapes are improving for bodies and such, but you've got to stick with those life drawings. Do the best you can with them, then move on to the next one. You'll get better with time and experience, trust me. Your hands, especially, are something you can just do when you're bored or have nothing to draw (since I'm assuming you have a pair to reference).

Your colors look pretty good as well, so props for leveling that up too. I would like to see more lines from you though, since that's a bigger weakness for you.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Your shapes are improving for bodies and such, but you've got to stick with those life drawings. Do the best you can with them, then move on to the next one. You'll get better with time and experience, trust me. Your hands, especially, are something you can just do when you're bored or have nothing to draw (since I'm assuming you have a pair to reference).

Your colors look pretty good as well, so props for leveling that up too. I would like to see more lines from you though, since that's a bigger weakness for you.

I second the anatomy study work. You have an idea of what the body looks like and I can see that incorporated in your work, but anatomically its really kind of jumbled. I did a quick sketch of a comparison of Mrs. Sharque I think may help you get a general idea of proportions of the head, weight distribution, etc.

First thing I noticed in this one is that she has (I'm assuming) an orb forming on her hand which looks like a light source. Thing is, you have the shadows falling on her face in reverse. Her nose seems rather plastered and curved all concave like, so it kind of gives off the illusion that her nose/facial area is inverted. She's not an Egyptian styled drawing- try and mix up the way the appendages fall and point. It really helps flesh her out and give her dimension. I sometimes find showing a hint of the second breast helps.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2007, 05:49 PM »
I think may help you get a general idea of proportions of the head, weight distribution, etc.

... don't post an anatomy-fix drawing where your fix has worse eye-proportions than the original... your eyes are like... at a 45 degree angle. Eyes don't tend to tilt at all!
http://www.stegersaurus.com - it's all about the games
http://www.battlebeat.com - My Game

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2007, 06:02 PM »
I think may help you get a general idea of proportions of the head, weight distribution, etc.

... don't post an anatomy-fix drawing where your fix has worse eye-proportions than the original... your eyes are like... at a 45 degree angle. Eyes don't tend to tilt at all!

...sorry? :/

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2007, 07:27 PM »

...sorry? :/

Sorry for the confusion Kozi, I was just trying (in my loving way) to say that the comparison image you put up does have some inconsistencies which should be noted if they plan to base their rework off of your work, and I think it's worth it to keep up with "good-practices" when trying to portray forms in a realistic manner. It is a helpful image beyond the eye-issue.
http://www.stegersaurus.com - it's all about the games
http://www.battlebeat.com - My Game

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2007, 10:25 PM »
I see what you're getting at road, but you seriously need to lighten up. Kozi's eyes are more charactered and cartoony than realistic, but it looks to me that she was at least able to draw them correctly.

Anywho sirus, pretty nice stuff, however you seriously need to pick up an anatomy book or two, you've got some very skinny people there, and everybody's head is way big. As for the eyes, try to remember that eyes are couple of slightly round spheres jammed inside your skull and covered by your eyelids, you've got a mirror somewhere in your home so I suggest you stare at yourself and start drawing the eyes that are glaring back at you and take notes (also using some magazines that have pictures of people in them is very good source of drawing material). Last thing you should know about the eyes, they're spaced so far appart that you can fit a third eye between them.

That's all I've got to say, keep drawing!
;-)

« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2007, 01:53 PM »
Thank you for the crits everyone.  But before I start showing more, let me apologize for no new life drawings.  :(  I want to start my life drawings out with a book and I haven't been able to afford one yet.  My job sucks, haha.  I have however, purchased many markers and want to show some marker work.  Unfortunately I'm just starting out with markers, so I only have one SMALL pic I like.  Anyways, I hope by the next update I will have a few life drawings done, to be truthful I'm afraid of how I'll do on them...But I guess I should have more confidence.

By the way, are there anatomy books I can borrow from the library?  That would help a lot, as I'm low on money right now.

With this update I tried to address some of the issues with my heads being too large, the first pics may still have that but I think the later ones in this update have shown some improvement in that area.

This was a work for my characters I hope to submit, Sharque and Mickey.  Colored in PS.

A comic panel I didn't use for the intro which I will get to work on soon (Though I have made several attempts at it, they didn't work out that well).

My 'main character' and this new fish man character I'm experimenting with.

Just four of my characters, I was going to make this bigger but I moved on to other stuff.

Practice with two characters interacting I guess.

Anya's (Sick girl) brother.

New pic I drew today for a big kind of spread but it's not finished yet (Plan to marker color it all).

This is the only pic with marker I actually like, as you can see, it's not finished.  There is a bigger pic to this but its not completely inked or colored yet.

I want more crits but I also want to know which character you like best...Just interested.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2007, 04:15 PM »
The coloring's not half bad, but you should be focusing on lines before going over-board.

There's plenty of good resources at the library, online, and from real life. You don't really need a book to learn to draw, just look around you and draw what you see. As for the finer points of anatomy, you can just look up human anatomy on the web or at the library and you should find what you need.

« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2007, 12:27 AM »
Aside from just working on the observation skills & paying attention to anatomy, you should maybe experiment with moving your viewpoint around. all of the pictures you have here are generally straight on looking directly at the characters pretty much centered in the frame. shift them around a bit. just because you're putting them on paper doesn't mean they have to be so flat. try all sorts of dramatic angles

-J

« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2007, 12:43 AM »

Just thought id throw in some quick pointer outs on the first image, Not sure how long this thread has been around so if The original is back from like 2005 fuckin forgive me heh... ;P

However I note alot of improvement in your stuff too the further down it goes Keep on rollin.
Good luck.

One of the key things I note though, is that the faces still to this day seem pretty unexpressive. Perhaps look into that particularly?

« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2007, 09:26 AM »
you know u guys..are getting alittle too critical here..concidering all the "cartoon" and more"stylized" void artists we already have approved here..why are we pushing that all noobs have to be REALISM...i mean seriously... this isnt that bad..if youo can story tell, draw backgrounds, make your characters look good, keep everything in this style, pull it all together and submit...your fine drawing just as you are. and yo uknow what..the more you draw, the better u get anyway...
big heads and small hands do NOT bother me if you make it work.
work on capturing emotion/backgrounds/if you think it will help try sketching what you see, just people on the street or whatever, but...honestly dont let these crits get you down. people forget that void isnt all about making everyone draw the same.

« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2007, 10:49 AM »
you know u guys..are getting alittle too critical here..concidering all the "cartoon" and more"stylized" void artists we already have approved here..why are we pushing that all noobs have to be REALISM?

people are only trying to help. artist really have the final say on what they're doing. and it's fine to do stylized work, but it's better to know what it is you're stylizing first.

also, the guy with the champagne glass. i meant to mention it in that last message but i think i forgot. don't be afraid to act out a pose or hand gesture when you're drawing something you're not quite familiar with. with something like a champagne glass, people either wrap their hands around the stem or the cup of the glass. the way you have him holding it iin the image seems unnatural.

-J

« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2007, 10:23 PM »
...sigh ...i know... i guess what i should have said was...
if you're going to crit, be sure to encourage after.  im tired of poeple giving up... if you have an imagination and the belief you can draw, you can... sometimes it takes longer.  do lots of sketching, life sketching, doodling, imaginative stuff, etc... i got dozens of doodle/sketch books i really dont show anyone bit its what gives you some ground and idea to leap from.
also dont just limit yourself to people too...objects, animals, backgrounds, made up things... art classes help "some poeple" but if anything its all practice...also draw outside your style on occasion, it often improves your own.

« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2007, 05:15 PM »
Thanks QtR.  I do agree with you.  I won't give up, don't worry.  This is the only thing I'm good at and I won't ever stop drawing, haha.  I just love creating characters, in my opinion, it's funner than anything.

Well, I drew a pic with a background just to see how I do.  I tried perspective but I don't know how well it turned out.  I'd like some crits on this one especially.  After this I won't post anymore till I get some more studying done, because I've been neglecting that.  Just wanted to post this one because I think its an improvement.  YOU MAY NEED TO COPY PASTE TO SEE THE WHOLE THING.

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2007, 08:13 PM »
good that you're trying, but there are some issues with this. for instance, the way you have your perspective set up behind the character, your vanishing point should be towards the center of the image, following the pathway; but then the buildings on the left side of the picture don't follow that that. and things like the bench the girls are sitting on seem to taper into the background at an off angle, & her one leg closer to the view point seems longer than the other because people follow that same perspective too. also, i think the thing to the left is a pond or something, right. it seems to taper off & not follow the same perspective as the path too, or the buildings in the background.

also, i don't get why there's a lot of negative space around your character. like it seems like you're trying to keep a white light around her but in some places it's as thin as a line & others, it's a huge patch of white, negative space. try to be more consistent

a valiant effort though. give it another shot, & try it from a higher or lower perspective!

-J

« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2007, 05:32 PM »
Good improvement.

you have a bad habit of drawing hands and feet really small, so practicing drawing those with the rest of the body would probably help. figure studies in general I think are the best thing for you to do right now.

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Thanks for all the crits, everyone.  Yes, hands and feet ARE an issue for me...Hands mostly for the shape, feet mostly for the foreshortening and analysis of their depth...I hope no one kills me for this, because these 'studies' look horrible to me...But I drew a FEW hands just to see if I can improve my stylized ones.  Once again, sorry, these are my first attempts.

Just a filler picture my friend of wanted me to draw for him...The light source is all screwy and I made it blue because it looked kind of ugly in black and white...

This is kind of a partial design sheet for my character Beatrix.  I may submit her to Void when I feel I'm ready...Comics still are out of reach for me it seems.

Here is my two panels of a comic I haven't finished yet...I hope I can finish it but I just want each panel to be of similar quality...It's kind of an obsession and I when I add backgrounds to the mix I want them to be very detailed and sometimes it just gets overdone or messy.

Oh yeah and I promise more hands and perhaps feet in the next update.  I just want crits on the current ones (Be as honest as you can).

« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Okay sorry for another shameless update, I will continue to do more life drawings (Hands and feet for now).  I completed a comic page for the first time in a long, long while.  So I wanted to show it here for crits.

EDIT:  Improved the page a bit.

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2007, 07:57 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2008, 10:29 PM »

This is Emma, my new  charcter.  Ugly colors I know...But I remade her design already (LAST PIC ON THIS PAGE). Her ability is to emit a smell that attracts special insects...Look at the last pic on this post to see what I mean.  She is responsible for keeping the sick Anya (Girl in my first post...The sickly one) alive.  Her country uses her to keep peace with Rokk. (
  A moth monster that Emma can 'summon'.
  Leech monster for Daneyo (Second post, man with glasses).
Panel for comic page.
Another panel for the same page

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9505/beatrixmalphascomicpg1skp9.jpg  Big unfinished page.  The two above panels were originally part of this.
Just practicing one of my male characters, Sirius.
Emma redesign...See, much better.  Drew this today.

Now I did not do any new life drawings because I am now on another comic battle site.  My battle is scheduled soon...No time for life drawings, only comics.  HOWEVER, this is only working towards my Void goal, I have not given up on Void.  Expect me to work on more serious stuff after my battle.  Until next time...

« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2008, 05:59 AM »
hello, this might be a useful website to jumpstart the lifedrawing thing :)

http://www.posemaniacs.com/pose/thirtysecond.html
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2008, 09:14 PM »
Thank you, jho!  I am actually going to start doing some life drawings tomorrow.  As much of a lie as that seems, I have an interview with Pier school of art on March 27th.  I plan on bringing some of these pics I posted in the topic, but of course, I will do some life drawings as well...or else look like a fool. So yeah, I have to do this. :D 

The last big drawing I did (Finished today) will be on the bottom of my post.  And if the next post I make doesn't contain life drawings, please ban me...XD  Totally serious.

COMICS FOR WAR FOR ARCADIA

I am going to WFA to basically train for Void.  These comics won't make much sense unless you saw Deejay's side of the battle...But they are good practice.

PICTURES TO PREPARE FOR THE BATTLE

STANDALONE PICS

My best pic yet

Thanks for looking.  The above pic will be used on my interview among some life drawings and other pictures.  Thanks for looking, and crits and comments are always welcome.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2008, 09:15 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Go ahead, rip me apart...I know I'm a lazy, 1D artist...And a pretty bad liar.

Still...I want to post for various reasons.  See if I improved, see if I have a shot at Void, get new crits...Pllease don't ban me (As stupid as that sounds).  I didn't get to go to my Paier interview, and am not going there for two years (Going to Housatonic first).  As stupid as it may sound to most of you, I will wait on life drawings probably till I'm taught more of it from a professional in the fall...

Well...Here is some recent works, I am posting only the best I did.  Crits welcome of course.  Feel free...to rip me apart.

Comic Pages round 1 (For WFA)

Comic Pages round 2 (For WFA)

Marker Works

Ink Work

Pencil Work

Panels from Unfinished Comics

I design characters.  My main goal in life is to become a better artist and then create a comic that I have been in the process of planning for several years.  This is mainly why I focus on drawing characters...I don't mean to do it exclusively...But it just happens I guess.  Will I do this forever?  No.  When I go to school, I will do my best to branch out and learn.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:36 AM by Sirius »

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

447 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us