So what movies/t.v. are you watching?

Re: So what movies/t.v. are you watching?
« Reply #825 on: Apr 07, 2012, 12:48 AM »
Sherlock is an ass.

A wonderful ass, and we love him for it :allears:

« Reply #826 on: Apr 09, 2012, 07:04 PM »
Sherlock is an ass.

A wonderful ass, and we love him for it :allears:
I've a terrible crush on Benedict Cumberbatch. It's ruined my life.

« Reply #827 on: Apr 21, 2012, 07:25 PM »
Deathly Hallows Part 2

« Reply #828 on: Apr 21, 2012, 07:49 PM »
I need everyone to understand how awesome Cabin in the Woods was.
Seriously.
I can't even describe why without spoiling it.
Just watch it.

« Reply #829 on: Apr 21, 2012, 09:05 PM »
It doesn't come out down here for MONTHS. Arrrrrghgdihgoi
sugoi

« Reply #830 on: Apr 28, 2012, 09:14 AM »

The Legend of Korra, that is all.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #831 on: Apr 28, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Legend of Korra is very awesome. Really enjoying that show.
On an unrelated but similarly awesome note, I saw this yesterday.

Would reccomend!
STILL spoken about in disgraceful social circles

« Reply #832 on: Apr 28, 2012, 01:04 PM »
It's a Joss Whedon movie! 8D Hulk ragdoll the Loki

It's a Joss Whedon movie... D8 Agent Coulson noooo

^ highlight for spoilers ^

« Reply #833 on: Apr 28, 2012, 01:14 PM »
Your first point there, TDK is my one problem with the movie.
STILL spoken about in disgraceful social circles

« Reply #834 on: May 23, 2012, 11:16 AM »

That is all.

« Reply #835 on: May 23, 2012, 12:26 PM »
saw Captain America last night. Now I just have to watch Thor and I'm all set to watch The Avengers.

« Reply #836 on: May 23, 2012, 07:20 PM »
I just saw The Avengers for the second time today. Was in a shit mood and wanted some cheering up by way of handsome dudes beating the hell out of shit. worked fine. Now I'm gonna go see if Hulu has any of that new season of Americas Got Talent.

« Reply #837 on: Jun 09, 2012, 03:20 PM »
You kids get all sploogey over Joss Whedon & Prometheus doesnt even get a mention? The hell are your priorities?

It wasn't the best. There were a few low points where it got pretty convenient & silly. But it looked pretty & had some good acting in it.

« Reply #838 on: Jun 09, 2012, 03:54 PM »
convenient & silly you say?  Do tell.

I enjoyed it, even if some of the info nuggets from Act I were obvious plotpoints for Acts II and III.  And pretty it most certainly was.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #839 on: Jun 09, 2012, 06:30 PM »
Gonna go see it tomorrow morning.  Gonna see it in 3d.  I never do 3D on principle (and because it costs money) but the group of people I'm going with want to so...fine, whatever.

« Reply #840 on: Jun 09, 2012, 07:21 PM »
I want to see it but don't know many other people that want to see it and I just can't bring myself to be that person that goes to the movie theater alone.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #841 on: Jun 09, 2012, 08:01 PM »
it's not as bad as you'd think, going to the theater by yourself. it's less awkward if you pick a showing in the morning or in the middle of a weekday.

i'll probably find my way to the theater for prometheus next week or something.

« Reply #842 on: Jun 10, 2012, 12:49 AM »
Gonna go see it tomorrow morning.  Gonna see it in 3d.  I never do 3D on principle (and because it costs money) but the group of people I'm going with want to so...fine, whatever.
As a general rule I avoid 3D, though I hear this movie uses it well (I saw it in 2D).
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #843 on: Jun 10, 2012, 08:47 AM »
convenient & silly you say?  Do tell.

I enjoyed it, even if some of the info nuggets from Act I were obvious plotpoints for Acts II and III.  And pretty it most certainly was.

I went into it trying not to expect Alien. Really I did. And that's not to say I was going to freak out if I didn't see a Xenomorph (frankly I wanted to see them skirt around that entirely. That last bit? Eh). But, at the end of the day, there are two qualities Alien has that make me like it so much. It's a tight & sound story. This wasn't that. It had a lot of convoluted things happening & a lot of choices seemed to be made for story that unwound it for me. I blame Lindelof mostly. In as much Lost as I saw, it had that kind of 'let's throw crazy shit at a wall & see what sticks' vibe. The black goo itself was a complete wildcard very much in that exact same sense. And spoilers & plot-widdling beyond this, so...

So the space jockeys are all about panspermia, great. Ancient civilizations all point to this moon where the movie takes place, awesome. But they get there to find a 'military base' that's full of mostly dead bodies getting chopped in doorways & such? And they want to kill us now suddenly 2000 years ago? And that's the point?! Eh. Like I could buy maybe that they set up life here & then there was some sort of coup on this ship & the 5 guys sealed in that chamber were going to kill Earth, but that's all conjecture & if they're going to spell things out as simply as 'There's so much CO2, you have 3 Minutes of air on this rock' why not throw another breadcrumb leading you to that?

But other threads too. Like they smuggled Guy Pierce on board & it seems like the only people it's a secret to are the two scientists that pitched the mission in the first place (I mean if it was a secret to people beyond Fassbender & Theron, why not show some reaction to the revelation?). But why did that even need to be a conspiracy? And so Charlize Theron's got this automated surgery pod in her little pad on the ship. They only made 12 ever. But it's only calibrated for dudes? Was it for Guy Pierce? Then why wasn't it held over in his little secret annex of the ship? Or did I miss something & Theron was supposed to be a dude the whole time? Did that make Idris Elba into dudes?! (No it's in there because what's more fun than self-surgery? who cares what sense it makes) And so Fassbender's operating at the whim of his masters. They go through these great lengths to transport this 'decrepit old man' (& seriously, the ted talk thing they did was great but did it really have to be Guy Pierce in make up? They couldn't have got an actual old guy?) through lightyears of space so he can meet an alien before keeling over, only to bring hazardous contaminates back on board to infect the crew? What?!

I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie. It's probably my #2 so far this year after The Raid (which will be ridiculously hard to beat) & I'm all for any sci-fi film of this scale generally. I was just hoping for something like Alien in the sense that it would be this big epic that's still concise & logical. At the end of the day, it either just had too much of that Lost DNA running through it or they were gunning too much for a sequel, leaving too much shit hang, or both.

(And I wanted to see it in 2D but got peer-pressured into IMAX 3D... in the fourth row...)
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2012, 08:53 AM by Kuro »

« Reply #844 on: Jun 11, 2012, 11:00 PM »
I've had many a sleepless night drawing lately which required some savagery and sex to keep the mind wound tightly. Thus I've worked my way through the first four seasons of Dexter and the first two seasons of Game of Thrones.

I'm not much into the CSI type stuff but the narrative and format of Dexter, the psychological persecutive and the constants mystery and tension of each episode within the arc is taught storytelling at its best. Rooting for the antihero is always a joy and comparisons are even made to vigilante comic heroes. The villains change each season and worthy foes like Jon Lithgow's Trinity Killer are gloriously well preformed.

Game of Thrones is a gritty, epic take on fantasy that dwells more on the politics, double crosses and speechifying of a constantly shifting power struggle than the fantasy or battle elements- but it succeeds. The differing viewpoints of the main cast- and the massive extended cast keeps things interesting. Seeing conflict and resolution from all sides, not merely black vs white but rather all the shades of grey is fascinating. It can be a big talky but always makes up for it with sharp dialogue, clever twists and always just a dash of swordplay and sex to liven things up. If anything, my only complaint is that its quite dark- things progress from the frying pan to the the fire far too often for the characters you like.

Its the kind of stuff to keep you up at night and for someone who doesn't watch any tv- its well worth the time.
DOIN THE BULL DANCE, FEELIN THE FLOW, WORKIN IT

« Reply #845 on: Jun 11, 2012, 11:19 PM »
What's wrong with going to movies alone? I do it 90% of the time, it's fucking great because why miss a good flick just because no one else can't make it/flaky?

That said, this is my prometheus REACTION. in comic form (and yes I went to it alone):

it was good fun, I didnt expect anything but I came out satisfied and entertained- then again I absolutely didn't expect anything Alien related (despite the hype).

What I like though, Ridley Scott always have good female characters, badass but still retains their femininity!
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #846 on: Jun 12, 2012, 08:12 AM »
There's nothing wrong with it, I've just always been afraid to do it for some reason.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #847 on: Jun 12, 2012, 08:15 AM »
I had mixed feelings for Prometheus.  Overall I liked it, I thought it was great, it was beautiful and I liked it was different from Alien.  A lot of what I feel iffy about Kuro has mentioned as well as some character motivations and dialogue.  The thing that bugged me the most was the surgery scene.  It could have happened to someone else with a vagina and it would have been fine.  I find myself having to tell myself that I must suspend disbelief that a woman with invasive surgery and doped up on sedatives can now run around very easily and athletically leap over chasms.  Anyways I was incredibly attracted to Charlize Theron throughout the production and I hope the sequel is a buddy movie between Noomi and David's head a la Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia.

« Reply #848 on: Jun 12, 2012, 09:11 AM »
PROMETHEUS SPOILER ALERT!

yeah sequel! thelma and louise style! Buddy movie :P  though remember, she brought David's body along with his head, and from reading David 8 site, seems like they're able to repair themselves though probably this time it's gonna be a bit harder, and possibly will need Shaw's help.

Also about that pod thing that only serves men: I think it can serve women, it's just it's unable to perform birth/caesarian/women-specific procedure because I figure it's very very risky (involving another life form) and a lot of things can go wrong to the fetus- so not necessarily it was only made for men, it's just unable to perform those sensitive, female-specific tasks.

I find the characters hilarious, their choices are all pretty fucking bad and their reactions to stuff are just fascinatingly terrible ("Let's put 10 amps into alien's brain! OH NO IT EXPLODED, HOW CAN THIS BE?" or "I'm an archaeologist who found dead lifeforms in other planet, which means the BIGGEST find in the history of humankind but since they're dead I'm sad and i'm going to get drunk." OR "I'm a biologist, I'm going to pet this snakevagina thing who acts exactly like cobra in battle mode OH IT IS BREAKING MY ARM HOW CAN THIS BE?", also zombie spider dude scene was reallllllly unnecessary! ) but somehow I didn't mind it. It reminds me of old sci fi movies, slightly over the top!

But, I still think the story is interesting as a whole, and I find the religious overtones amusing/interesting for what the movie intended to be ("They suddenly want to kill us 2000+ years ago." and remember it was christmas, there's a correlation there I think)

I think I also instantly thought there'll be a sequel for the movie, so I didn't mind the ending so much, but as a standalone flick Prometheus might fail a bit in that. But all in all, I didn't mind the fact it raises more questions than it gives out answers since it still sort of makes sense (to me.)
It was entertaining, at least, and that's a-ok in my book!
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #849 on: Jun 12, 2012, 09:35 AM »
Yeah I know they brought the body along and I figure the same but...in my heart of hearts I just want her to carry around the Fassbender head.  It would be more entertaining that way. 

And about the pod, if I remember right I think they said it wasn't calibrated to women so I imagine you could calibrate it with some time and settings or whatever, that would just take too much time so she did a manual set up or whatever... 

And yeah I think the Biologist was the most useless guy especially since he did something so utterly stupid.

But I wanted to say to me, Prometheus is basically like those old 50's sci fi movies.  Like I kept thinking "This could be a remake of Forbidden Planet".  Basically our graphics have just improved that much but to me this movie is like a love letter to the genre.
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2012, 09:37 AM by William_Duel »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

292 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us