So what movies/t.v. are you watching?

Re: So what movies/t.v. are you watching?
« Reply #800 on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:48 PM »
I finally got a Netflix account and have been gradually checking out tv shows people always tell me to watch. Thus far I've been making my way through

Breaking Bad

and am about to start on Parks and Recreation

On the anime front, I'm also rewatching the amazing Madoka Magica and Jellyfish Princess as they both just got released on DVD/Bluray over here and I just received my copies in the mail. They're both great so I don't mind watching them again. Madoka is currently streaming legally on crunchyroll for the 5 anime fans that haven't seen it, I believe you can still watch Jellyfish Princess legally through Hulu and Funimation's website. Madoka is definitely in my top 5 anime of all time, which is up there with Neon Genesis Evangelion and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Which goes to show that all my favorite anime are horrendously depressing and very weird, experimental, and symbolic. I clearly don't like my anime to make sense.

Also making my way through Welcome to the NHK. A series I really liked the manga for but really dragged my feet when it came to watching the anime. I really had no excuse anymore once Funimation released a ridiculously cheap set. I still kind of like the manga more as I feel the story and pacing work better on paper than in motion, but it's still entertaining.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2012, 07:50 PM by angieness »
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #801 on: Mar 03, 2012, 05:29 PM »
Had no idea woman in black was hammer. Shit, I migh have to see it now.

« Reply #802 on: Mar 07, 2012, 08:29 PM »
Assault on Precinct 13

« Reply #803 on: Mar 08, 2012, 12:20 AM »
Assault on Precinct 13

Is pretty great. A friend of mine just shotgunned all the John Carpenter movies a few weeks ago & I'm considering doing the same if I get some time freed up.

« Reply #804 on: Mar 09, 2012, 09:28 AM »
It is a great movie. It had the right amount of action, suspense, and story. The only other Carpenter movie I saw was The Thing (another great suspense sci fi horror movie).

« Reply #805 on: Mar 11, 2012, 11:50 AM »
Recently watched Bad Boys 1 and 2 for the first time.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS;
WHATCHA GONNA DO?
WHATCHA GONNA DOO WHEN DEY COME FOR YOUU?

« Reply #806 on: Mar 11, 2012, 12:39 PM »
Watched Real Steel last night. Loved the robots designs and also the incremental future. (the winds turbines in the corn fields are apparently are a real place, so good scouting on their part.) Hugh plays a good actual jackass and nice character development on his part. Movie is a bit derivative (Rocky w. robots is applicable but it reminds me of Metabots some how and makes me want to look more into that genre of robot show.) So want to draw robots.

Just got back from John Carter and I was pleasantly surprised. Thought I was getting Moose Tracks and ended up getting Peanut Butter Moose Track instead. CG characters don't feel out of place (Couldn't even tell it was Willem Defoe.) and I can see why so many people like Princess Dejah (aside from the art most people assume of her, she is a real badass in this movie No damsel in distress moments just caught by circumstance which was nice.) Definitely worth a watch for an adaption of a distinct flavor of fantasy.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2012, 12:44 PM by Orion »

« Reply #807 on: Mar 11, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Watched Real Steel last night. Loved the robots designs and also the incremental future. (the winds turbines in the corn fields are apparently are a real place, so good scouting on their part.) Hugh plays a good actual jackass and nice character development on his part. Movie is a bit derivative (Rocky w. robots is applicable but it reminds me of Metabots some how and makes me want to look more into that genre of robot show.) So want to draw robots.

Ever see the twilight zone episode "Steel." It's got Lee Maricn as a retired boxer in a "1974 Philadelphia" where human boxing's outlawed. After the POS robot the manage breaks before their last big match, Lee Marvin has to disguise himself as a robot to get the money they need.

Yeah, I'd rather watch that.

« Reply #808 on: Mar 11, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I've been watching House of Lies.  It's got Don Cheadle, Kristin Bell, and a smattering of other recognizable faces.

Also, I just started watching American Horror Story.  REALLY messed up.

Both excellent and recommended.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #809 on: Mar 12, 2012, 06:29 AM »

Started watching Durarara!! and I'm enjoying it overall.
Lots of characters and simultaneous storylines going on.
STILL spoken about in disgraceful social circles

« Reply #810 on: Mar 12, 2012, 12:34 PM »
That's a good one, from what I've seen of it! And it's by the same creators (and supposedly takes place in the same universe) as Baccano! which is another fun show.

« Reply #811 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:42 PM »
It was pretty damn good.

On a side note my mind was blown by this:

It reminded me of VOID, with all the different kinds of people trying to outdo each other.

« Reply #812 on: Mar 14, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Redline.

itislikemyfavouritethingever

« Reply #813 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:11 PM »
It was pretty damn good.

This is the only proper way to talk about
REDLINE

« Reply #814 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:19 PM »
It was pretty damn good.

This is the only proper way to talk about
REDLINE

REDLINE is super awesome. I found the animation in REDLINE to be amazing. I recommend REDLINE to everyone.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #815 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:11 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN3P7nnLCjY

just got back from the jake shimabukuro documentary screening at the SFIAAFF. it was fantastic, beautifully shot, and created with love. jake was there to play a set after and say a few words as well, which was equally amazing. i don't know what the release plans are, but if you see it playing somewhere, i HIGHLY recommend you check it out.

now back to work for me.

« Reply #816 on: Mar 14, 2012, 11:16 PM »
REDLINE is amazing to me because 1) I dig the visual style so much and 2) it basically is like if I could make a movie, REDLINE would have been pretty much it. REDLINE simply put just inspires me. REDLINE also got me into using a lot more heavy blacks in my work (well, Koike and Imaishi mainly, but REDLINE really hammered it home).

I can't wait to see what Koike does next really. I hope its just as awesome as REDLINE.

« Reply #817 on: Mar 20, 2012, 05:38 AM »
As I was going to bed last night, I flipped on the TV and this movie was playing.  I didn't catch the beginning but I immediately fixated on it.  It's funny because as I was watching I got a Puppet Master vibe (I loved those movies as a kid, though Curse was my least favorite in the series) and as my research today shows, the director did two of those movies. 

Straight into Darkness basically follows two AWOL American soldiers in WWII, who while running away in the French countryside run into an orphanage where it turns out that the kids have been trained to be highly efficient Nazi killing machines.  I found the visuals to be really up my alley, as it's gritty and dark and almost gothic.  It's a horror/action flick and I just found it really interesting and dark. 
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2012, 05:42 AM by William_Duel »

« Reply #818 on: Mar 23, 2012, 01:24 PM »

Trailer: http://youtu.be/Kl8_momJbqA

totally reposting what I wrote elsewhere BUT

So, I loved this film.

It’s one of the few horror films that’s successfully managed to make to make me lean back and go “NooooOOOOOPE” in a long time, thanks to the way that director Mendoza manages to build up this feeling of unease as you follow main character Emily.

I saw parts of this film when I was working the San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival, then managed to finish it all the way through later, and it sticks with you. HP Mendoza has this great visual style, which really makes this film strong in terms of storytelling and mood.

If you see this film’s playing somewhere at a film festival or at an arthouse somewhere, go run out and see it! I’m not sure if the director is going to try and sell DVDs of this/upload this somewhere, but if he does, it’s worth checking out. Even if you don’t like films with high creep factor, you have to check it if you’re a storyteller (writer, illustrator, comic artist) yourself. There’s lots to learn from here.

« Reply #819 on: Mar 24, 2012, 12:57 AM »
new trailer for the film i worked on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yFnYFZqdGY

saw the rough cut a little bit ago, it looks fantastic!

share it with your friends!

« Reply #820 on: Apr 06, 2012, 08:07 AM »
went and saw the Raid this week, it is AMAZING.

review here: http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/fight-film-friday-the-raid/

if you have any interest in action films, this is a must-see.

« Reply #821 on: Apr 06, 2012, 12:17 PM »
There's a few anime I have my eyes on this anime season, aside from the Eureka7 sequel and the next season of Fate/Zero, there's 2 that have the potential to be amazing

Lupin the 3rd, A Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Lupin the 3rd done by people that worked on Redline? Sign me up! It looks like it will totally be a masterpiece of awesome.

Kids on the Slope. If you know the two key people working on the series, you have good taste in anime.
Director: Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo)
Music: Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell SAC)

I don't give a shit what the series is about, with those two involved, I'm taking a look.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #822 on: Apr 06, 2012, 12:56 PM »
I was wondering when Shinichiro Watanabe would do something new! I'll keep an eye out for that.

« Reply #823 on: Apr 06, 2012, 03:32 PM »
I haven't been watching much anime recently, but I am watching BBC's modern Sherlock! It's amazing.

As soon as I finished the series, I went and read all the Sherlock Holmes books.

« Reply #824 on: Apr 06, 2012, 07:16 PM »
Obviously not out yet but this looks awesome. Its "ParaNorman", a new film from the makers of Coraline. I think I like the artistic style of this even more than Coraline from the looks of the trailer. I can't get enough of authentic stop motion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NbtltCSpcU

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

527 Guests, 3 Users

(1 Hidden)
[]

Most Online Today: 643.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us