So what movies/t.v. are you watching?

Re: So what movies/t.v. are you watching?
« Reply #775 on: Oct 17, 2011, 01:04 AM »
I like Aronofsky just fine. But I liked Black Swan better when it was Perfect Blue.
I'm sorry Kuro, but that's one of the most hipster-ey things I have ever heard.

« Reply #776 on: Oct 17, 2011, 06:38 AM »
I like Aronofsky just fine. But I liked Black Swan better when it was Perfect Blue.
I'm sorry Kuro, but that's one of the most hipster-ey things I have ever heard.

and that makes it less true how?

« Reply #777 on: Oct 17, 2011, 03:50 PM »
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #778 on: Oct 17, 2011, 04:17 PM »
and that makes it less true how?
It doesn't. But the way you said it is still funny.

I'd seen Perfect Blue but I hadn't seen Black Swan yet - I guess I don't really need to now, haha.

« Reply #779 on: Oct 17, 2011, 05:13 PM »
Nah, it's still worth seeing for what it is. Even though I know this now, I still really enjoyed it.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #780 on: Oct 19, 2011, 09:51 AM »
hi everybody! check out the new trailer that just came out for our movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYPQVZbZA4

if you can, please go make a last minute donation at http://indiegogo.com/riseandfail so we can get this thing made! also, vote for us at www.tenlegs.com/item_detail&id=MTM4Nw==&ctype=MA== if you haven't yet! woohoo!!

« Reply #781 on: Nov 28, 2011, 05:14 AM »
I saw the Muppets over the weekend.  Pretty damn good.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #782 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Black Books
originally aired on British Television in 2000-2004
starring Dylan Moran, a right funny bastard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5a5vBzwLkM

I found all three seasons very funny and I larfed quite a bit....but I have a soft spot for cantakerous anti-social damaged behaviour...throw an alchoholic irishman in the mix and I am good fer a bit
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2011, 11:13 AM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #783 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:39 AM »
but as happy as the previous program made me it dashed aside by the sad sad fact that neither 'Breaking Bad' or 'The Walking Dead' is mentioned in this entire thread even once.
The only thing stopping me from labelling you all a bunch of silly billies, is my assumption that it is commonly held knowledge how awesome both series are and it just goes without saying that people have already or should watch them.

Breaking Bad
originally aired 2008 on AMC

The Walking Dead
originally aired 2010 on AMC and based on the comic

I will forgive most of you(those of you not located in the UK) however for not
mentioning another british gem, Misfits.

the first two seasons of this show are great and even with the apparent loss of one of the main reasons for that (the perfomance of actor Robert Sheehan) the first episode of season three was not too shabby and I did honestly enjoy the replacement character.

« Reply #784 on: Dec 04, 2011, 09:25 AM »
I've always wanted to started Breaking Bad, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Walking Dead was off to a S L OW start this year, but the last two episodes were amazingly fantastic.

Brit stuff I watch - Spooks, Being Human, Sherlock, and Hustle

I've also been watching the animated Avatar, but I'm still waiting for it to become as super awesome as everyone says it is.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #785 on: Dec 04, 2011, 11:05 AM »
I'm actually following a bunch of anime this season, which is unusual for me because I typically only find 1 or 2 series I care about each season.

Update on Mawaru Penguindrum-still amazing. It's coming to an end before the end of the month I believe and I'm extremely satisfied with it. I'm not sure if I would recommend it to everyone because it's so crazy. If you were a fan of Revolutionary Girl Utena then you know the director's work and know what kind of stuff he does. It's been a very interesting trip to the end.

Update on Guilty Crown-I really don't know how I feel about this series. I think in terms of eye candy it's beautiful and when it does action and fast paced scenes it does an amazing job. But the story really feels like every single episode the writers open up tvtropes and see how many they can include. Seriously. I don't expect anyone to be original but I think you should at least try to pick from tropes that make sense when put together. The main character is slowly getting less stupid but he's still difficult to like because he has no back bone. I do feel like he's growing though and will eventually be a badass instead of Shinji v.2.0. I will continue to watch because holy crap that action..that action..and the music is great. Some episodes are wonderfully put together, but others are pretty silly. 8 episodes in and I feel like the writers aren't really sure what they want to do with the series. Most of the characters are a big "meh" but there is a badass girl in a wheelchair that kicks the shit out of everyone else in the show in terms of personality and she can actually physically defend herself.

Update on Fate/Zero-the first episode was one big snore fest because I already knew the whole lay out of the Holy Grail War. But every episode after that has been pretty amazing. The series seems to have an extremely high budget so everything is gorgeous and it definitely has the most inventive and exciting fight scenes I've seen in quite a while. I think even if you don't know anything about the Fate series, if you're an action fan you owe it to yourself to at least sit through the fights. If you are familiar with the Fate series, Zero kicks the shit out of FSN. Adults that know what they're fucking doing > teenagers that aren't very good.

HunterXHunter got a shiny new adaptation from Madhouse. I wasn't going to initially check it out because I can't stand most shonen anime because I hate sitting through 500 episodes of stretched out filler. But it's Madhouse so I had some faith. If you haven't heard of HXH and are a fan of shonen manga, you should really put down your Naruto or Bleach and read this instead. HXH is an older series but it's not very long because the author is infamous for taking long breaks (conveniently when new Dragon Quest games come out), if you know Yu Yu Hakusho, you know who he is. With the exception of the Greed Island arc (which I found super tedious), the manga is definitely one of the most unique and interesting shonen manga I've ever read, it's also very dark which sets it apart from other shonen out there. Anyways, obviously HXH is a fantastic series and thus far the adaptation has been fairly faithful. I never saw the original adaptation but I've really enjoyed this one. Part of what's so fun about this series is it has a very cute and bright cheery style but it ends up dealing with some very serious shit which can be kind of unnerving. (the anime has yet to really get to the really crazy arc but you'll still catch bits of it here and there)

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic Season 2-Season 2 has begun and a lot of people were scared season 2 would suck because Lauren Faust (Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends) left the show. But season 2 has been pretty awesome thus far. It continues to be vibrant and well written. I do recommend staying away from any episode discussions because a lot of the fans are getting really weird about fanon (fanmade cannon) bullshit. No really, the last episode a lot of people flamed the shit out of because the episode showed a modern damn and bulldozers and they thought the ponies shouldn't have those things. Seriously. People got pissed. So yes, avoid those discussions because it will make you doubt humanity.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2011, 11:12 AM by angieness »
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #786 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Gundam Unicorn continues to be amazing.  Unfortunately the 'episodes' are months apart and I believe that as far as story we are no where near the end.  There's a lot more that has to happen.  It's very much like Hellsing Maximum in which they take their time to make sure each episode is extra super badass but take forever for the next one to come out.  You don't have to be familiar with the Universal Century or too much Gundam lore to watch the series but it does add to one's appreciation to how the series ties into the greater history of the franchise and ties a lot of well known elements together.  If anyone ever watched 8th MS Team and liked it, then this is definitely a show you should watch.

And also the original series is getting a pretty super updated remake soon (as in maybe next year or not) "Gundam: The Origin".

Persona 4 continues to be an excellent adaptation of the game.  In fact, it's the best video game adaptation I can think of and washes out the bad flavor of their first attempt Persona trinity soul.  (Fate Stay/Night doesn't count since the original game was a hentai game anyways)  It's a lot of fun and the animation is pretty high quality.  If you liked the game you should check it out.  In fact you don't even need to have played the game to enjoy the series.

Little summary: Yu Narukami moves into the countryside with some relatives to attend school while his parents are away.  Brutal murders start occurring on foggy nights and at the same time a rumor starts up of a strange channel that only appears at night, revealing the next victim.  Yu and his friends accidentally discover they can cross through the TV into a strange world full of Shadows and that by facing their own repressed feelings they can summon representatives of their inner psyche to fight for them called Personas.  And so they decide to investigate the mystery...

« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2011, 03:26 PM by William_Duel »

« Reply #787 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:55 PM »
but as happy as the previous program made me it dashed aside by the sad sad fact that neither 'Breaking Bad' or 'The Walking Dead' is mentioned in this entire thread even once.
Coulda sworn I mentioned Breaking Bad at least once. Love the shit out of that show.

Lately, it's been Parks & Rec, the League, & University of China, Il. Usually over Thanksgiving weekend, I do an Arrested Development marathon but I had things to do this year. So my girlfriend & I are going through them slowly. Charlie Brooker's got a new anthology thing going on in the UK called Black Mirror. I've obtained the first part but haven't watched it yet. I'm assuming it's fairly good though on past experience of things that guy's done. And I'm also downloading Louis CK at the Beacon Theater, same deal.

Oh & if you guys watch Ghost Hunters, they were at this old inn on the other end of my block this week for the christmas special & apparently found something. I ghost hunted at that place years ago, only to have an 'expert' tell me that someone's foot scraping in the attic was some presence saying its name was George. But anyway, if you saw that, that's my neighborhood.

« Reply #788 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:00 PM »
I'm pushing this one on everybody I know; Anvil: The story of Anvil

This documentary gave me hope, motivation and the dedication to follow my dreams.. truly something everyone should watch

« Reply #789 on: Dec 22, 2011, 04:39 PM »
The Walking Dead (Daryl <3), Doctor Who, Supernatural (especially since I got a boxset of all six seasons for early Christmas, to see me through the mid-season hiatus), Once Upon a Time, Sherlock and The Big Bang Theory.

I love TV.
Movies, not so much.
Althouh I recently fell in love with The Boondock Saints. Especially the first film. TOILET. THAT IS ALL.

« Reply #790 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:42 AM »
I got a crap ton of DVDs for Christmas thanks to DVD prices plummeting because of Blu-rays. While I'm planning on finally investing in a Blu-ray player and nice tv when I get my tax return, this is still awesome.

Moribito-I caught a little of it here and there on Adult Swim and liked it alright. I'm about half through it at the moment and I love it. It's another series by Production IG so they of course threw a lot of money at it so it's a beautiful looking series, it also has a very awesome story. I got the whole series for Christmas thanks to Rightstuf having the whole thing for ridiculously cheap. If you have $20 lying around and enjoy anime, you can still get the entire series for $20, you can find it here http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/GheVWp=8-kZs7ozNbU/browse/item/93654/4/0/0 and it's an official release, not a bootleg. RS just has it on crazy clearance because a new edition came out. You've really got nothing to lose, even if you don't like it you got 26 episodes for $20.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood-I also got the last few DVD collections of FMA:B. It's the retelling of the whole series, this time it's actually true to the manga. It's a little rough around the edges for the first 13 episodes or so until it gets into the content that wasn't animated in the first series. Honestly I would watch the original FMA up until you run out of manga canon content and switch over to FMA:B because it was fairly obvious FMA:B rushed through the already animated content. Provided it's still worth watching the whole thing just because Studio Bones went all out and made it look very pretty this time around.

Kung Fu Panda 2-this one I picked up myself because I saw it really cheap at the grocery on Christmas Eve. I don't care what anyone says, Kung Fu Panda is awesome, and this movie was great. The story wasn't amazing and rushed through a bit but honestly, if I'm watching a movie with the words "Kung Fu" in the title I don't really care as much about the story. Nonetheless, the story itself while nothing new, was very entertaining. The star was the actual action. And in terms of animation techniques and taking risks, Dreamworks actually beat Pixar in something. There were several scenes that were traditionally animated and a lot of really cool and unique things done with the lighting and color in the CGI. While I still don't think Dreamworks is quite on the same level as Pixar, the gap is now getting a lot smaller because KFP and How to Train Your Dragon are both fantastic.

There's still more stuff I have to watch through in my pile of new DVDs but that's it for now.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #791 on: Jan 15, 2012, 01:36 PM »
I personally liked Kung Fu Panda 2 better than the first, more character development and a better villain. Also the 2D animation scenes are wonderful. Here's the animated short that came with the combo pack for those who haven't seen it and want to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vv4UwVWrcv4

I saw this movie last night

Was pretty good in my opinion. I wanna see the other version of it though. Any who, just a warning some scenes are preeeetty graphic, not so much for blood and gore, but there was some sexual scenes that were rather intense.

« Reply #792 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:21 PM »

I love making my friends see this. Just their faces of uncertainty makes me smile

Did any of YOU have the BALLS, HUH?

« Reply #793 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:14 AM »
At this point has anyone not seen it?

« Reply #794 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:56 AM »
I've seen it a few times because Adult Swim seems to play it every year on April Fool's day.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #795 on: Jan 22, 2012, 10:01 AM »
I haven't. :V 

I did watch Real Steel the other day, though. The Screen/Theatre faculty kids did a free screening.
By the climactic final battle, the audience went bananas. As in the cheering wildly as one bananas. Shit's bananas yo.

Bananaaas.

Oh, also Warehouse 13 season 3 is pretty cool so far. It's almost like the comedy option to Fringe's seriousness at times, because for once one of the lead characters actually treats his job like it's the most awesome thing ever (and is a nerd, apparently), so I'd recommend that too.

« Reply #796 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:25 AM »
Iron Man 2

« Reply #797 on: Feb 16, 2012, 01:39 AM »
watched chronicle the other day. it was great.

short version - this non-action sci-fi movie gets us to care more about one fight scene than most action movies can get for several big fight scenes.

long version - http://fightfilmfriday.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/idle-thoughts-chronicle/

« Reply #798 on: Feb 26, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Yeah Chronicle does look good, and my friends have said it was awesome. I just haven't seen it because, well, that camera style like its a documentary is kinda a turn off for me. Ever since fucking Cloverfield. But I'll definitly check it out on video

« Reply #799 on: Feb 26, 2012, 06:42 PM »
I just watched The Adventures of TinTin: The Secret of The Unicorn;

I was very very impressed by this movie, both as an adaption of Hegre's work( I enjoyed the little nod & wink they gave the artist in the beginning of the movie ) and for the exceptional computer animation.
Both TinTin and Haddock were great and the action sequences were better than quite a few 'real life' action films I have seen in the last few years.

I also watched The Woman in Black;

Now I am a big Hammer Horror fan and I was very excited to see them enter the new century and this mostly did not disapoint.
There are some real skin crawling heebiejeebie moments and Radcliffe has the look of a character out of Lovecraft or perhaps Stoker`s Jonathan Harker but he is far too cold and distant in his actual performance to make me care about his character or what is happening to him.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

533 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 643.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us