So what movies/t.v. are you watching?

Re: So what movies/t.v. are you watching?
« Reply #525 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:07 AM »
Yeah, but The Proud Family is a shitty show... and it isn't as black and white as you just made it out to be. The hardworking business man's failure is there mostly for comedic value, or he fails from his own hotheadedness and thinking he can do no wrong. His black wife is a very successful veterinarian, and their Mexican neighbors are very well off too (the wife is a cop, but I'm not sure what the husband does).  They show all the arch types with the black children, the daughter is a very bright and strong girl, who has strong convictions and knows right from wrong.  Her black best friend is a trampy, fatter girl who tends to cross the daughter whenever it's convenient for her.  The boy they know, is freakishly smart and yet still very cool, and the bullies of the school are 3 black sisters with their hair in cornrows and they speack with poor grammar and come from a bad home. I mean, one of the only white characters in the show is a twiggy, ginger girl who is a huge nerd and really awkward around everyone. The Proud Family is less of a show about black people and I think more of a show for young girls (the fathers are silly and bumbling, the women are smart, strong and have good honest jobs, and the main characters are tween girls).

You can find racism anywhere if you look hard enough. Most caeses of Disney's racism issues come from times when that was the norm.  Just becouse they rerelease old movies on DVD without white washing the racisem out doesn't mean they believe in it.  What should they do, cut all the crows out of Dumbo?

Disney made a movie with a black princess so they would have anouther princess to ad to their princess toy lines, another gringing face for little girls to eat up. They arn't stupid, why would they set out to make a super racist movie in 2009? I wish everyone would just stop acting like this is Songs of the South 2.

« Reply #526 on: Dec 14, 2009, 11:31 AM »
I hope that whenever I have kids I remember that when I was a kid I never read into things too much when I watched movies so I shouldn't over analyze these things either.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #527 on: Dec 14, 2009, 07:25 PM »
Could be worse.  The main princess of Sleeping Beauty is in the  movie for...less than twenty minutes I think.

who the fuck gives a shit about some honky-ass narcoleptic bitch?
the dragon fight's the reason to watch that shit.

« Reply #528 on: Dec 14, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Truth.  That is my favorite scene in any Disney movie.  It's just so classic and badass at the same time.

« Reply #529 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Saw Frog Princess. It was wonderful. Don't look too much into it. It's a good movie.

« Reply #530 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:40 PM »
I saw Avatar like a day ago.  I don't feel like recounting all of my opinions but to summarize: Crappy, overly done story, but beautiful planet and mechs.  I want one of those mechs.  I honestly couldn't stop laughing as I watched.  But it's beautiful enough and the third act action packed enough for me to watch it again.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 07:44 PM by William_Duel »

« Reply #531 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Avatar's story wasn't particularly engaging to me, but it was pleasant, like a kid's movie.

I'm with you on those mechs though, I know what I want for my birthday, haha.

Also, saw Sherlock Holmes on the same day.

It is an incredibly fun movie to watch and follow, I take back all the doubts I had about Guy Ritchie's interpretation.

« Reply #532 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:57 PM »
But Madonna Pi

But Madonna
But then again My opinion might change when I see it tomarrow but that was just.... so....... terrible
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2009, 09:02 PM by Sleezmeister »

« Reply #533 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:29 PM »
I was extremely impressed by Avatar; mostly because I love all of the worldbuilding stuff. The story was anything but original, yeah-- I read a review comparing it to the first Star Wars: groundbreaking, incredible special effects, a well-executed but very tired story, and awful awful dialogue.

« Reply #534 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:37 PM »
Paranormal Activity!

I thought it was okay, but I've only seen the first version, with the scenes missing and the weird ending... I heard the theatrical version was way scarier.

« Reply #535 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:55 AM »
Did Avatar just fucking USE PAPYRUS for their SUBTITLES !?!?!?

« Reply #536 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:23 AM »
oh my god, my designer friend was complaining about that. XD What's the big deal?

« Reply #537 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:03 AM »
oh i know bad decision!

It is a terribly ugly font and not legible enough to justify use in subtitles. I have no idea why they would've made that decision! also it is kind of a joke in the font-snob community to make fun of it all the time.

« Reply #538 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:05 AM »
hahaha I could only imagine my reaction if I walked into that movie and they were using Comic Sans for the subtitles. At work there's a few kiosks that use it and I'm like WHY GOD WHY?!
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #539 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:04 PM »
FFF at least they didnt use bloody TRAJAN ughughgu STILL BAD THOUGH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t87QKdOJNv8

« Reply #540 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:16 PM »
Papyrus was fine. It was at a size large enough to be legible, and it reflected a decent theme of "wildness." Not a great choice, but probably better than going Plain Jane with Helvetica/Verdana/Arial/other san seriff mod font.

« Reply #541 on: Dec 30, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Papyrus was fine. It was at a size large enough to be legible, and it reflected a decent theme of "wildness." Not a great choice, but probably better than going Plain Jane with Helvetica/Verdana/Arial/other san seriff mod font.

Papyrus is NOT fine.

Any designer or artist who uses this font is LAUGHED at and then soon looked down upon in disgust.
http://www.heyokadesign.com/news.asp?post=top-ten-worst-font-choices
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2009, 01:15 PM by luniara »

« Reply #542 on: Dec 30, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I don't see what's so wrong with Papyrus, but then, I'm not a designer.

I DO tend to laugh and people that use Dragonwick, though.  'cause that's just funny.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #543 on: Dec 30, 2009, 01:30 PM »
Lists like that are pretty "bandwagon-y" to me, personally. People in the design field have their own little culture and in-jokes, and collectively continue to avoid those fonts to stay "cool." It's like high school.

I'm not saying those fonts are good, because, let's face it, they're not great. But the way they're avoided like some kind of leper is a little unprofessional to me. I don't think it was necessarily the best choice to use Papyrus in the film, but they certainly could have done much worse. C+ for subtitles, in my eyes.

« Reply #544 on: Dec 30, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I think using a Plain Jane san-serif font is a very good choice for subtitles; it is clearest, and I don't think it's the place of subtitle font to convey mood. It is not about being cool; Papyrus looks like it belongs on a fifth-grader's science project on the pyramids. This is a fact. I don't think they could've done worse in terms of subtitle font choice. F.

i love font arguments
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2009, 03:33 PM by mr. robot »

« Reply #545 on: Dec 30, 2009, 03:35 PM »
FFF at least they didnt use bloody TRAJAN ughughgu STILL BAD THOUGH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t87QKdOJNv8

« Reply #546 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:26 PM »
At least they didn't do what a lot of terrible fansubs do where they use a different font and color for any time someone else is speaking and use hideous fonts.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #547 on: Dec 31, 2009, 01:28 AM »
Damn, did I just die and get to Heaven? I see people are talking about fonts in movies.
I was going to see Avatar, but if they have Papyrus for subtitles THEY'RE NOT GOING TO GET MY MONEY. Only joking. And they probably have Finnish subtitles over that papyrus anyway. White or yellow Helvetica in black boxes. Ugh.

But has anyone seen "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus"? Because that was a nice movie. It was a bit disoriented and occasionally felt like it wasn't going anywhere (and yes some of the weirdness wasn't that weird, but when has weirdness in movies been weird?), but it had such wonderful landscapes, buildings,colours and things. And Tom Waits as Mr. Nick was just sweet. It was a lot better than I expected.

« Reply #548 on: Dec 31, 2009, 05:24 PM »
Is it possible for Tom Waits to do wrong?

« Reply #549 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:47 PM »
Flipping through various ball-droppings programs right now - Happy 2010!!!!!!or something ;D

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

255 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 280.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us