So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #1150 on: May 21, 2014, 02:50 AM »
Anyone reading the new ghost rider and or moonknight? I started reading both of them yesterday(1st issue's) and thought they were pretty good! Especially the ghost rider! Anyway just sharing the thought! Trying to get back in comics that feel fresh and new,and started with these two!

the pages actually look like the cover !

moon knight

and pure art orientated i am watching/reading the new Black Widow,cause of the Phill Noto art

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:11 AM by stefan »

« Reply #1151 on: May 21, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I haven't been reading those, but I plan on it! All the art I've seen from Ghost Rider is just gorgeous, and of course Phil Noto can't be beat :D I actually wasn't really tuned into Moon Knight other than hearing stuff about the story, but that panel looks cool.

« Reply #1152 on: May 21, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Stefan, if you like Tradd's art for the new Ghost Rider then you should check out the 2 part mini-series he did with Image.

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode(2012)

&

The Legend of Luther Strode(2013)

it was quite the wild ride

-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #1153 on: May 21, 2014, 10:03 AM »
awesome Wei ! thanks for the heads up on that ! gonna pick it up :)

Kent:yeah i can understand that,i do have to say that the art really connects with the story wich is pretty cool,so ...yeah .

« Reply #1154 on: May 21, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Have we already suggested Ava's Demon? Because we should. http://www.avasdemon.com/

« Reply #1155 on: May 25, 2014, 10:41 AM »
awesome Wei ! thanks for the heads up on that ! gonna pick it up :)

I forgot Tradd is also on DeviantArt

http://tradd.deviantart.com/

« Reply #1156 on: May 27, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Don't know if this one has been mentioned yet, but I recently got myself a copy of Koko Be Good.

It's interesting to me because the line art in some panels retains a little 'blue pencil', and the frames are imperfect. It casts an authentic feel to the story being told, which is three intertwined. Definitely give it a chance if you enjoy slice of life comics with a little comedy tossed in for good measure.

« Reply #1157 on: May 27, 2014, 12:18 PM »
Koko Be Good is awesome and beautifully done.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #1158 on: May 27, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Koko Be Good is awesome and beautifully done.

Yeah, it's pretty high on my list of favorites.

« Reply #1159 on: May 28, 2014, 12:06 AM »
Wei:thanks for the Dev. link,im gonna check it out !

i started picking up Elektra from marvel,i don't know what marvel is doing with there marvel NOW series,but there artists choices are really good.
anyway have to read it still,but like i mentionend i'm picking this one up for the art.
cover

Interior:

« Reply #1160 on: May 28, 2014, 04:47 AM »
@Prometheusd: Oooooh, I love Koko Be Good! The art style especially was just wonderful. I might just have to pick that up again now...

@stefan: I've generally avoided mainstream superhero comics (guess I'm just a little bit hipster? I dunno), but that art does look pretty sweet... might just have to check some of those out...

« Reply #1161 on: Jun 08, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am alive and well...and have also been reading comics. I now live about 0.75 miles away from my local comic book shop so I drop by every now and then and buy a few.

All New Ghost Rider

The art maaaan, the art is gooood. I picked up The Strange Talent of Luther Strode (same artist) after reading the current issues that are out...But Luther Strode didn't really impress me... BUT, UH. Yeah Ghost Rider seems fun so far.

Pretty Deadly

A delicious little treat. It can be a bit hard to follow at times, but it's very interesting and I love it's style in general.

Dead Body Road

I can't give my full opinion on this one yet as I've been reading them out of order and missing 2 issues of the current 6 that are out. The art style is very nice though and the colors work well with it.

The Wake

9/10 issues currently out, I' haven't read them all yet but I def' plan to.

« Reply #1162 on: Jul 22, 2014, 12:18 PM »
Finished volume 1 of the original Charlton Comics version of Captain Atom (AKA: Captain Allen Adam), the guy who inspired Dr. Manhattan in Alan Moore's WATCHMEN (since it was originally supposed to be him and all the other old Charlton Comic characters before Moore had to re-imagine them), and was then re-imagined as a big Silver Surfer-ish looking guy, minus the actual surf board. While I'm not really big on the Silver Age era of comics they were fun little stories, also of interest for die hard fans for the artwork of Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man.

« Reply #1163 on: Aug 02, 2014, 10:24 AM »
I've been reading back some of Sergio Aragones comics. I just picked up "Groo vs. Conan" #1, which is  a great read and I highly recommend. I also recommend his "Sergio Aragones Funnies", which is a wonderful series (originally through Bongo Comics, it will be revived thru Dark Horse Comics)

« Reply #1164 on: Aug 02, 2014, 11:39 AM »
As of late, I've been reading:

SAKIGAKE!! OTOKOJUKU (Trans: Charge!! Men's Private School)

Otokojuku is about an all boy's Private High School in Japan for juvenile delinquents. There, they are taught the ways of being a true man, by enduring hellish feats such as the Oil Bath/Hell Boat, Spiked glove Boxing, and other such manly tests of strength.

I'm not gonna lie, Otokojuku is a product of it's time. I.E., the Fist of the North Star-esque fights, Teenagers with FOTNS-esque bodies, and etc. Despite that, Otokojuku is still really popular! There's been an anime, two movies, video games, and various spin-off mangas and an official sequel, featuring the kids of the Original manga's cast. Overall, It's pretty manly!

So if you've got nothing else to read, you should totally try out Otokojuku, AND REFINE YOUR MANLY SPIRIT FOR THE SAKE OF JAPAN!!!

« Reply #1165 on: Sep 10, 2014, 01:55 AM »

« Reply #1166 on: Sep 10, 2014, 05:54 AM »
http://www.godhatesastronauts.com/

Beageruta

thanks for the reminder ! didn't knew it already started !!!

« Reply #1167 on: Sep 14, 2014, 12:07 AM »

BUZZKILL

one punch man

« Reply #1168 on: Sep 14, 2014, 08:51 AM »
I've been reading a ton of stuff.  Some I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

The Bunker
When five friends go to bury a time capsule before going their separate ways, they find a mysterious bunker stamped with their names and containing artifacts from a time that has yet to come. Will their discovery save the world or doom it? From Joshua Hale Fialkov (I, VAMPIRE; ULTIMATES) and Joe Infurnari (MARATHON) comes a new ongoing series that proves outrunning your future is no easier than escaping your past.
http://www.onipress.com/series/thebunker

Velvet
When the world's best secret agent is killed, Velvet Templeton, the Personal Assistant to the Director of the Agency, is drawn off her desk and back into the field for the first time in nearly 20 years... and is immediately caught in a web of mystery, murder and high-octane action.

ED BRUBAKER and STEVE EPTING redefined Captain America with the “Winter Soldier” saga... and everything they've done so far has been leading to VELVET!
https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/velvet

Zero
Edward Zero was the best spy the Agency had—and then he realized he was working for the wrong side.

Written by Ales Kot, with a different artist each issue.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/zero
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #1169 on: Oct 11, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Hey Kev, have you read Fatale? After getting into Criminal, I try to buy anything those two dudes do, and Fatale is no exception to quality streak they have going on.

« Reply #1170 on: Oct 11, 2014, 04:48 PM »
I was more a fan of their earlier supervillian stuff and Fatale was good....just kept finding the supernatural side coming up short....great story arc for the female lead tho

expect more pulpy goodness ...they were given a sweet contract deal where they have complete and total freedom to do whatever they want

I am holding out for a pulp action hero sorta deal......like doc savage etc.....or even a politically incorrect chauvinistic fu manchu yellow threat villian played by a caucasian....but the last one is mostly so I can watch Pi's head explode
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2014, 04:53 PM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #1171 on: Oct 11, 2014, 06:32 PM »
Not a comic I'm reading currently, as it hasn't come out yet, but I'll be sure to try out Vertigo's ongoing Effigy, with art by one Marley Zarcone! :D
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2014, 06:42 PM by Mister K E N T »

« Reply #1172 on: Nov 03, 2014, 06:49 AM »
I tried black science when I saw it listed here. It reads like interdimensional Fear Agent, which I guess is good for Remender, but the character shit seems way overwrought, where as the thing I liked about the former, in the ones I read, was just weird situation after weird situation with little time to internalize. The art is very pretty though.

I've been on a Simon Roy kick lately. Dying for the second Prophet Strikefile to come out. Sure it's not a comic but the world building in that shit is so fucking tight. And then Earth War. I had read Jan's Atomic Heart, but just picked up the newer collection from Image too. I've been looking to check out The Field. Anyone reading that? 

At a small local con, I was finally able to get my hands on an old Meathaus collection. Also Farel Dalrymple's Wrenchies. I've been going through it really slowly but it's really fucking great comics.

« Reply #1173 on: Dec 08, 2014, 06:52 AM »

If you know me, you know that I fucking hate "I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE." Its breathless nerd pandering bullshit drives me fucking bananas, much like XKCD or the Oatmeal whatever other "TESSSLLLALAAAAA" type horsedickery is floating around the internet. "SCIENCE!?!?" being some smug fedora rallying cry irritates me to no end.

That said, I love Nowhere Men, a comic that says

Nowhere Men is a book that seems to be an incredibly decompressed superhero origin comic, but one that is so rich with detail and history that you don't actually care that you're not sure where the actual story is going. The world of Nowhere Men begins when you ask a single question- what would the world be like if scientists were like rock stars?

The story tracks the dealings of World Corp, a company created by four very different visionaries, and how it has impacted the both the world and the four men who created it. As well, it follows the crew of the World Corp Remote Site "Nowhere" and the strange effects that some unknown agent is having on them and their desperate attempts to save their own lives. AS WELL, the comic is intercut with media artifacts from the beginning of World Corp to the present, magazine articles, newspaper stories, pictorals, ads and even year-end top-ten lists.

Nate Bellegrande knocks the art out of the park, portraying intricate technology and science fiction weirdness as well as his normal human characters. He makes his characters look real, like living people who change their clothes from day to day and appear as individuals, not just "haircut #4 on generic white woman body," as is often the case these days. He captures both the glamour and the weirdness of the science fiction world, making every single panel of the six issues a joy to look at.

Eric Stephenson teases out the story at a slow but steady pace, taking his time and filling enough corners of the world to make it understandable but leaving enough blank space to keep you wondering what else is going on. Carefully doled out answers to questions keep coming, but then often raise questions of their own.

Fonografiks does a great job creating the media artifacts, imitating Rolling Stone, Esquire and other magazines at various points in time. The ads for World Corp products (and those of other scientific firms) give the world a real, lived-in feel.

Jordie Bellaire nails the palette for the story, able to convey the environmental feeling of each scene. Her colours are remarkably flexible, being used to portray a wide variety of different environments and times, characters and moods.

Anyways, the first trade is out, pick it up.

« Reply #1174 on: Dec 22, 2014, 08:30 PM »
it is awesome I have read and re-read it six times and it still reads just as well

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

422 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 452.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us