So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #1075 on: Apr 10, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Maybe I'm biased because my Millar experience is so minimal, but why would Ellis want to imitate him?  I don't think I can remember even one instance of someone saying something good about Mark Millar that wasn't followed by "BUT...!"

Man, lots of comics to read.  And only two finals to go.  Soon I will remember what it's like to be a human being again.

EDIT: and yeah since I like Supes and I love Azzarello I was bound to read that at some point if you didn't warn me.  When I think Azzarello does Superman, weird goofy jingoistic shit certainly isn't the first thing that comes to mind.  Shame.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2012, 03:51 PM by Evil Eye »

« Reply #1076 on: Apr 10, 2012, 05:02 PM »
I agree with the Bendis thing.  For me Bendis is like Grant Morrison, some stuff I love and other stuff I turn my nose up at it.  Like I have always liked the ultimate stuff (some bad turns here and there and Ultimatum (which he didn't do) was fucking terrible), Powers and a lot of his Icon stuff but I absolutely hate him on the Avengers title. 

True, he did make a fan favorite Avengers team which is cool but the problem is he keeps snatching up characters like awesome new little toys, and strips them of the characterization that made them popular and goes for one liner jokes.  Like that Secret Invasion storyline is why I stopped reading mainstream hero books for awhile.

Hell, the Avengers have this one character called the Protector (AKA Marvel Boy) who has been on the team since Bendis' run started and that's years.  And yet he's only done three useful things in all that time, one of them being punching Norman Osborn recently.  Most people who follow the title don't even know who this character is and he is on the team.  To me, that's bad writing when you've got  a team book and one of the main characters is always benched.  So Bendis is really miss or hit for me but I hate him on Avengers.

« Reply #1077 on: Apr 10, 2012, 05:09 PM »
I finished Old City Blues over the weekend.

The art and lettering can be a little rough, but it's amazingly energetic and reminds me of all kinds of futurist 80s anime and Blade Runner and awesomeness.  Good times, and I fully look forward to reading future volumes.

You can actually read it online at: http://www.oldcityblues.com
or buy the hardcover at: http://www.amazon.com/Old-City-Blues-Giannis-Milonogiannis/dp/1936393204

Rofl read it, he can vouch.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #1078 on: May 13, 2012, 12:57 AM »

Saga Is really good Everyone at my local shop loves it with good reason.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:15 PM by 4:00am »

« Reply #1079 on: May 19, 2012, 07:06 AM »
New volume of Oyasumi Punpun is out.  So good...why are you so good... And why must you make me wait like a forlorn lover?  Ahhhhhhhhh so good.

And also this:
Binbougami ga! (It's the Misfortune/Poverty God!)

This is a rather atypical and zany Shounen comedy about a girl Sakura Ichiko who possesses an abnormal amount of good luck.  She's got good grades, good looks, great boobs, etc. and it turns out that she somehow has an abnormal ability which causes her to soak up other people's good luck like a sponge.  In order to correct this unbalance, Momiji the Misfortune god shows up to collect and restore balance to the force.  But it turns out Ichiko is a pretty spoiled bitch who isn't willing to part with her good fortune and Momiji seems less than concerned for her target's life.  Cue hijinks and growing cast of eccentric but loveable characters.

I'm really having fun reading this because it's just really eccentric and pure fun.  Every new character is a welcome addition and as is obvious from the pictures, the cast really grows over time.  Despite the fact that Ichiko is presented as being a terrible person in the beginning, she changes and softens over the time but that sort of direction is obvious from the start especially in a shounen comic where friendship is the keyword.  The dynamic between Momiji and Ichiko is often a lot of fun as their battles tend to drag everyone around them into it.  It's a bit different though from typical shounen fare as the main character is not a boy and it oftens points out and makes fun of the tropes partial to the genre.  Plus the characters are great such as the masochistic dog god, the African American Buddhist Monk who's a bit too perverted or the rival character who is also a girl but happens to dress and act like the typical hot blooded male heroes of shounens past.  Anyways you guys should check it out.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:47 AM by William_Duel »

« Reply #1080 on: Jun 01, 2012, 12:15 PM »
last comic I read was Dead Pool The Circle Chase

« Reply #1081 on: Jun 01, 2012, 02:01 PM »

just bought this book yesterday, the art is so inspiring, don't be surprised if my own art starts to resemble it for a little while cuz I wanna test this out.

Aso like six months ago I bought Kick-Ass but only just now am I getting around to reading it.

« Reply #1082 on: Jun 01, 2012, 03:12 PM »
FUCKIN LOVE SKYDOLL ;A; huge inspiration for my artwork aaaaa

Yet I still need my own personal copy.

« Reply #1083 on: Jun 01, 2012, 05:05 PM »
I just read this thing:

I can't say I liked it all too much (especially the art! It's nice enough, but so stiff - as if the artist painted over photos. There's one panel where The Doctor is wearing a weird hat and it looks like the hat has been pasted on from a different source)... but I am still probably going to read the next one.
sugoi

« Reply #1084 on: Jun 02, 2012, 12:44 PM »
I need to get a copy of Skydoll, I have the short stories collection (Factory) which is actually fantastic.
STILL spoken about in disgraceful social circles

« Reply #1085 on: Jun 02, 2012, 01:40 PM »
I need to get a copy of Skydoll, I have the short stories collection (Factory) which is actually fantastic.

Me you both, Bro.

« Reply #1086 on: Jun 02, 2012, 07:15 PM »
I just saw the first book randomly in a store and thought "there is no reason why I don't own this". I don't know if there are more books but i hope so/soon.

« Reply #1087 on: Jun 11, 2012, 03:49 PM »
Nearly caught up on the last three weeks worth of comics from while I was out of the country.  Quickly:

Skip Hardcore, Kirkman's new book.  It's interesting, but spends too much time explaining itself and not enough time being good.

Read Grim Leaper.  I'm kinda surprised by how much praise this book has gotten, since not really much happens.  It's good, and I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, I'm just surprised so many others also enjoyed it.  Needless to say, gorgeous art.

Skip The Ravagers.  It's such a whiny complainy mess I couldn't even finish it.

And All Star Western is an good read, I just wish it were drawn by someone else.  The Owls cross-over is almost non-existent and tacked-on, but otherwise a solid read.

Phoenix Five?  Thank christ I'm not reading that mess.

Not much else to say beyond yet, except that I frequently praise TMNT on Facebook and Danger Club is my newest favorite.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #1088 on: Jun 17, 2012, 04:13 AM »
Not really seeing any talk on it but anyone else use Comixology?  I've been using it since last september and have been absolutely loving it.  Don't get me wrong I love having physical floppies in my hand but this site is just AMAZING.  I buy so much each week and try so much stuff I normally wouldn't have access to from my LCS seeing as they have to stock the stuff that sales or you have to preorder or request indie books.  With Comixology I can just roll out of bed on wednesday and choose pretty much all the new comics available same day as print and the tons of back issues they upload all the time.  I still buy physical tpbs and GNs I really want but when it comes to week to week comics, I'm straight up digital.  I see they have a different site with all the different french comics companies and some english translations out there too.  I hope that continues to grow and include more companies and countries. http://www.izneo.com/

« Reply #1089 on: Jul 15, 2012, 02:30 PM »
So, I recently discovered TRANSMETROPOLITAN.

HOLY FUCK.

So much for free time...

I'm in love with comics again.
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #1090 on: Jul 17, 2012, 09:11 AM »
I was bopping around thin internets and I discovered this.

A very fun read, it has all the standard trappings of a DC comics, but with the (not really so horrifying in this comic) ALIENS.

4 Issues. I recommend it if you want to kill some time.

« Reply #1091 on: Jul 17, 2012, 01:12 PM »
I think some of you saw me all excited when this was delivered to my desk at work.

The backgrounds, colors and environments in this is so amazing. Definitely an inspiration to punch up my own backgrounds in my own comics. Not to mention it takes place in New Orleans! Super cool

« Reply #1092 on: Jul 18, 2012, 12:55 AM »

Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths by Shigeru Mizuki. I read it a week ago, and I still don't know how I feel about it? It's a weird blend of cartoon and serious stuff. I thought I disliked the characters, but that ending...

I'm picking up X'ed out next week, because Black Hole is one of my favourite comics ever.

« Reply #1093 on: Jul 18, 2012, 01:11 AM »
I'm flipping through THE SENTRY, and god is it bleak and depressing.

From the inks to the colors to the writing, everything casts a dark foreboding shadow over the Marvel universe. Check it out.

I also stumbled across NORTHLANDERS in my local comic book shop.

I haven't read any of it yet, but from what I saw flipping through, it should be a good read. Ill edit this post once I do.

« Reply #1094 on: Jul 20, 2012, 03:53 PM »
I got the first few issues of Northlanders, but didn't continue. Maybe I'd like it better in trade form. Just like with DMZ, I was looking for my next Vertigo fix after finishing Y the Last Man, but they just didn't work for me...

Found a webcomic series from a few years back, MINUS http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/minusarchive.html

This particular page gives me hope:

« Reply #1095 on: Jul 20, 2012, 04:05 PM »
So, I recently discovered TRANSMETROPOLITAN.

HOLY FUCK.

So much for free time...

I'm in love with comics again.

Yeah, seriously.. if you havent read Transmetropolitan, go read it. now.

In other news: Courtney Crumkin and the Night Things

The first in a series of (so far) 4. I read all in a day, then went out and bought the two first. Thrilling stuff and beautiful BW drawings.

« Reply #1096 on: Jul 31, 2012, 07:49 PM »
This one jumped off the shelf at me, and boy was I glad I got it.

I know there's been a lot of talk around the site and in the chat recently about great female characters and how there are so few of them. This book focuses on 5 (plus a few other) young women living in NYC. They cover all ranges of the spectrum in terms of personality, and it also gives a good look at what it's really like to try to make a life in a big city.

RECOMMENDED READING, Y'ALL

« Reply #1097 on: Jul 31, 2012, 08:38 PM »
And you continue to prove that you deserve that Hipster label.

« Reply #1098 on: Aug 01, 2012, 06:12 AM »
I REGRET NOTHING.

« Reply #1099 on: Aug 06, 2012, 11:03 PM »

Buttlord GT. http://imgur.com/a/BL7dL

That is all.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

547 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 643.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us