So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #975 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:49 AM »
recently I finished reading Spiderman Birth of Venom and Green Lantern Secret Origins

If you read Secret Origins, then you're well on your way to reading the Blackest Night event. I highly recomend it. there are multiple torrents and downloads out there with all the tie-ins. It's super creepy and lots of people die.
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #976 on: Jul 14, 2011, 03:36 PM »
cool, I'll take a look at it, thanks =)
also I just finished reading the Long Halloween again (really great batman comic) and started reading Dark Victory

« Reply #977 on: Jul 14, 2011, 03:46 PM »

If you read Secret Origins, then you're well on your way to reading the Blackest Night event. I highly recomend it. there are multiple torrents and downloads out there with all the tie-ins. It's super creepy and lots of people die.

uuuh, which blackest night book? sorry I looked it up on amazon but there appears to be two different ones, both seemingly different in story and such is it this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-Blackest-Geoff-Johns/dp/1401229522/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310683193&sr=8-1
or this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Blackest-Night-Black-Lantern-Corps/dp/1401227848/ref=pd_sim_b_4

« Reply #978 on: Jul 14, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Those are only part of the event, and the best way to read it is the issue by issue chronology.

I would recommend getting a torrent client (Vuse and uTorrent are the best, but you can also get Transmission for Mac), and then find a good Blackest Night Chronology torrent.

You would have to spend WAY to much money hunting down all the books and issues that make up the full event for Blackest Night.

« Reply #979 on: Jul 14, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Fine.  I'll step in and explain it.  The first one, the one that is solely Blackest Night is the main storyline.  Really if you wanted to, you could just read that one because like I said it's the main story, beginning middle and end.  The second one you linked is Blackest Night as it relates to and ties in within the pages of the Green Lantern Corps series.  It's like any big event, you get the main event comics and then every other series is high jacked and are merely tie-ins.  Though Blackest Night did an interesting thing and 'ressurrected' long since cancelled DC series as ties ins (for example, Phantom Stranger and Suicide Squad).  So it's up to you really, you could just read that one or you can read that one and it's tie ins. 

But if you wanted the whole scope of the story as presented by Geoff Johns then you'd have to start all the way at Green Lantern Rebirth.  You're already reading Secret Origins (which isn't all that great in my opinion but certainly ambitious) and what follows is Sinestro Corps. and the rest of the War of the Light stuff.  All of that eventually ties into Blackest Night and the current Green Lantern event which is War of the Green Lanterns (certainly smaller in scope than Blackest Night). 

« Reply #980 on: Jul 14, 2011, 09:26 PM »

« Reply #981 on: Jul 15, 2011, 09:34 AM »
I shouldn't have been so vague about what the exact chronology was for the event. That was me being lazy. Most comic publishers have huge events that get their own small run, but then all the other titles in their universe get tie-in events (to make the event more grand in scale and to make MO MONEY).

Speaking of events, how are you liking Fear Itself, takunisvoid?

« Reply #982 on: Jul 20, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Northlanders
vol. 4 - Good, but probably went on an issue or two longer than it should have.

vol. 5 - Also good, but still not as good as the earlier collections in the series.

Casanova
vol. 2 - All the insanity of the first Casanova book, with the most insane twist ending I've seen in years.  Beautiful, imaginative, and highly recommended.

The Killer
vol. 1 - Great.  A psychological look at the inner workings of a contract killer as he tries to cover his own ass from a cop on his tail and a potential double-cross.

vol. 2 - Even better than the first book.  Takes everything from the first and kicks it up several notches.

vol. 3 - getting a little preaching with the history lessons and politics, but still good.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #983 on: Jul 21, 2011, 01:40 PM »
I've read two issues of Fear Itself before it lost me. Not that the first issue actually grabbed me or anything. I was being generous. It's a shame, if it weren't for Stuart Immonen I may never of began reading these non-manga book of comics.

I've read the first two issues of Gladstone's School for World Conquerors. I wanted to like it but couldn't. I blame it on getting me to almost like a character and then switching to another. Repeatedly. Resulting in me not really liking anyone in it.

I've read Volume 1 of Umbrella Academy. It was very interesting. I have to read it again. Plan on getting volume 2 soon.

Issue 1 of American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest because Sean Gordon Murphy is pretty sweet, bro. I wasn't expecting to like it due to the subject matter being outside my usual interests but it was surprisingly good. Getting Issue 2 soon.

Super Dinosaur 1 - 3. The first two were like the fun of watching a 90s cartoon again. Either Issue 3 was a bit of a fall or the gimmick is wearing off.

Mighty Thor 1 - 3 by Matt Fraction and Olivier Coipel. Now prior to this book my only interaction with a Fraction book was with one issue of Thor and it was so awful I decided never to pick up the series again. He's doing Fear Itself and as stated before it couldn't keep me interested. Now the jerk got Coipel to ring me back in. The comic writing is nothing spectacular but combined with the art it's just good enough to get me to pick up the next one. Though it still has the evey-single-page-is-actually-a-two-page-spread gimmick that pissed me off in Fraction's Thor.

Reed Gunther #2 started off worrisome but became awesome by the time I finished it. Will be getting the next issue.

The Spirit #1 by Mark Schultz. Another topic outside my norm but very good. Issue 2 will be read shortly.

Skeleton Story #1 - 3 by Alessandro Rak and Andrea Scoppetta. As far as I can tell it's an Italian book by GG Studio translated to English. It's also friggin sweet. About a skeleton detective who lives in the world of the dead and discovers a highly sought after living girl. I guess its somewhat like Monster's Inc.

Bakuman is as good as ever. But you know that already.

Amazing Spider-Man. I hopped into this series at the beginning of Big Time and have read up to issue #657. I wasn't expecting much but I'm liking it. Though it's taking a pretty bad dip with the element of Spidey losing his spider-sense and thus becoming EXACTLY LIKE THIS. I expect this dilemma to be resolved very soon. I mean, I've got a Spider Island to look forward to.
"C'mon, ladies! Play us a tasty lick!"

« Reply #984 on: Jul 21, 2011, 01:59 PM »
Lately?
Butcher Baker the Righteous Maker. (Dear Redrevolver, go look at that, chances are you will dig the art)

And old Moebius & bilal stuff I find on the internet that isn't in English. If that counts as reading.

« Reply #985 on: Jul 21, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Dear Red Revolver,

the artwork looks like this;

-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #986 on: Jul 25, 2011, 09:55 PM »
In response to the last few posts...

Butcher Baker is great.  I like Fraction, but Fear Itself should be better than it is.  Umbrella Academy is still great, but it's nice when new readers discover.  And I'm actually liking Mighty Thor... which surprises me, because I've never liked Thor.  Again, this may be because I like Fraction.

Recently finished re-reading Daredevil Yellow.  Classic Loeb and Sale before Loeb shit all over the Ultimate Universe.  I'd read it years ago (from Gabe, of all people!), but only recently picked up a copy for myself.

I'm now slowly working my way back through Hulk Gray, and dearly wish I could pick a reasonable priced Spiderman Blue.  I think Spiderman was my favorite of the Marvel "color" books.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #987 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:07 PM »
I advise the new Daredevil series.  I've never really been a big Daredevil fan but I've never disliked him either.  I wasn't thinking of picking up the new first issue but the shopkeeper dropped it into my pile and recommended it.  I'm glad he did.  The art is gorgeous, especially the scenes showing Daredevil's radar vision (which is just beautifully topographically detailed landscapes).  I'm not sure how Daredevil went from Shadowland to this new story but it's okay, the way it is now it's pretty accessible to first time readers.  Take a look.

Also read the new Captain America #1.  I hate what they did to Bucky (which DC is practically paralleling by having Dick Grayson be Nightwing again) but I can't fault the art or the story in this issue.

« Reply #988 on: Aug 07, 2011, 10:20 PM »

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/baka_gogh/

Baka to Gogh is a good slice of life about an aspiring fashion designer and these two idiots she befriends who are aspiring rockers.

« Reply #989 on: Sep 08, 2011, 09:20 PM »
I bought this on a whim and God I enjoyed it.  The art and story are fantastic.  It's really gripping and emotional.  It's written by the creator of Rambo (First Blood) and if you've seen First Blood then you'll know it's a good story.

« Reply #990 on: Sep 08, 2011, 09:58 PM »
Currently, I'm catching up on BIOMEGA http://www.amazon.com/Biomega-Vol-1-Tsutomu-Nihei/dp/1421531844

and just read this

and this

« Reply #991 on: Sep 09, 2011, 08:15 AM »
Currently, I'm catching up on BIOMEGA http://www.amazon.com/Biomega-Vol-1-Tsutomu-Nihei/dp/1421531844

Hey Bent, i've reed Biomega volume 1 & 2 last week too...i love how Tsutomu Nihei develops the story pacing...i think it's a bit different with Blame! story pacing.

« Reply #992 on: Sep 09, 2011, 08:21 AM »
BIOMEGA story starts going downhill around Vol 5. It's dissapointing. However, Blame! and NOiSE are some of the best comics/manga I've ever read. I'd even go so far to say that tsutomu nihei bridged the gap between the graphic novel and manga.

« Reply #993 on: Sep 09, 2011, 10:38 AM »
I'd even go so far to say that tsutomu nihei bridged the gap between the graphic novel and manga.

This is a pretentious crock of bullshit.  Don't get me wrong I love Nihei, even his wolverine miniseries.  But what gap are you talking about?  How the hell do you define graphic novel?  Even if there is such a gap it was already 'bridged' years ago by Tezuka. 

« Reply #994 on: Sep 09, 2011, 11:31 AM »
This is a pretentious crock of bullshit.

SORRY, MY HIPSTER SLIPPED OUT

What I meant to say was that tsutomu nihei is far better than most of the other manga ka currently working in the medium, and that his plots have a certain subtle movement to them through the omitance of important details combined with his rough illustrative pen work gives his manga a more serious "graphic style".

I wouldn't say it can compete with something on the level of Blankets or Black Hole, since those are legitimate "graphic novels", where tsutomu nihei is creating monthly content in the same format as One Piece or Bleach.

As for how I define "graphic novel", I'd say a larger single work with more serious themes or a novel style story structure (like Blankets http://www.amazon.com/Blankets-New-Hardcover-Craig-Thompson/dp/1603090967/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315592938&sr=1-1) deserves the title of "novel", while something like the Constentine comics are only "gritty and gory" comics.

That and I'm a huge fan of tsutomu nihei's art, so I tend to FANBOY about him a little.

« Reply #995 on: Sep 09, 2011, 01:12 PM »
I wouldn't say it can compete with something on the level of Blankets or Black Hole . . . deserves the title of "novel"
I think I'm gonna echo Will on this one: This is a pretentious crock of bullshit. These lines are everything that is wrong with comics today. Can we stop fellating literature due to a comic inferiority complex and use terms not dependent on quality? Doing so is like comparing apples and oranges, as the comics you mentioned are all attempting entirely different things.

Why get up on a high horse saying one is better than the other just because of its content and style? If we go on using different terms like serials, comics, and graphic novels, then make it dependent on size, not content.

No BenT, you are always the hipster.

And then BenT drank Pabst.

« Reply #996 on: Sep 09, 2011, 03:15 PM »
No BenT, you are always the hipster.

And then BenT drank Pabst.

I WOULDN'T DRINK PABST, IT'S TOO MAINSTREAM.

NOW EXCUSE ME, I HAVE TO GO WATCH 500 INDIE MOVIES.

AT THE SAME TIME.

« Reply #997 on: Sep 09, 2011, 03:18 PM »
But in more relevant news to this thread, I have been catching up on American Vampire.

« Reply #998 on: Sep 09, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Yes, that ^ I love both the regular and mini of American Vampire.

I also picked up a few of the DC's New 52--Justice League and JL International (they were in my brother's pull list). About to read them riiiight now (haha I love my new job I can read comics).

Yesterday I re-read Vertigo's iZombie , which I enjoyed the heck out of--so kitcshy and cute--but gross. Hmmm I guess it can be gross and cute. Also re-read Volume 1 of DMZ, the only volume of it I own--skimmed the 2nd trade, it's just not my cup of tea, but the first volume is pretty nice. I'd recommend it for anyone interested in gritty future war politics (not me).

« Reply #999 on: Sep 10, 2011, 07:03 AM »
I can tell you what I WILL be reading...

Taiyo Matsumoto's No. 5 will finally get a complete translation.

Problems: Only for Ipad (so I must steal somebody's) & the text is in goddamn comic sans (meaning I will be reading & cringing because some fuck head doesn't know what he's doing & making those awesome pages ugly with that piece of shiTOMIGODIHATEITIHATEITIHATEIT... but I like No. 5)

Also it's funny when people get pretentious about comics. Wow. Keep it up, kid. It's fun laughing at you.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

311 Guests, 3 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us