So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #950 on: Jun 01, 2011, 09:20 AM »
Butcher Baker : The Righteous Maker
Joe Casey & Mike Huddleston
Image Comics

An overall fun read with some very talented people at the helm, Casey is really starting to tickle my fancy...he's been working pro for more than a few years already but didn't register on my (granted very limited) radar until his work on 'Dark Reign: Zodiac' from Marvel. He continues his trend with grittier harder over the top superhero fare with Butcher Baker.
Huddleston is much the same as far my very buggy radar goes....I really liked what he did with his work in 'The Coffin' but I haven't seen too much else from him.
Huddleston's work compliments the tone and action of the story very well....overall it's been a fun read so far and full of frustrated mainstream artists doing what they want for a change catharitic funk.

Not so oddly enough I keep thinking what it would have been like if it was Sheldon doing the art instead of Huddleston and seeing and enjoying the differences....instead of just imagining Sheldon saying '...it would be better'.

Don't get me wrong.....Huddleston is showing his chops here and is in no way slouching.....it's just from the very first few pages I got the same vibe I got from Mr. I'm a mainstream heartbreaker's pages in the recent Heavyweight Tourney and would love to see him it out another mini-series.

-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #951 on: Jun 02, 2011, 07:26 AM »
As more of a side discussion, who else is getting beyond sick of all the marketing ploy/bottom fell out of the barrel half assed cross title events both DC and Marvel keep crapping out?

I mean if every day is the end of the world you start wishing it would just end already.....less than stellar so-called blockbuster after so-called blockbuster....and it actually screws with what development there is in some of the titles...

...oh and Bucky is alive and is now Captain America and Captain America is Nick Fury and Robin is Batman and Batman is outsourcing and Green Lantern isn't Green anymore he's black...no he's blue....no he motherfucking  Fuchsia and The Human Torch is Dead and now Spider-man(!??!) is a member of the Fantastic Four....but they aren't The FF anymore and Spidey is an Avenger too...along with Wolverine who is an X-man and part of X-Force.....and...and...and....OH GOD please buy more of our comics...

BLEH!
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2011, 07:42 AM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #952 on: Jun 02, 2011, 07:59 AM »
As more of a side discussion, who else is getting beyond sick of all the marketing ploy/bottom fell out of the barrel half assed cross title events both DC and Marvel keep crapping out?

I mean if every day is the end of the world you start wishing it would just end already.....less than stellar so-called blockbuster after so-called blockbuster....and it actually screws with what development there is in some of the titles...

...oh and Bucky is alive and is now Captain America and Captain America is Nick Fury and Robin is Batman and Batman is outsourcing and Green Lantern isn't Green anymore he's black...no he's blue....no he motherfucking  Fuchsia and The Human Torch is Dead and now Spider-man(!??!) is a member of the Fantastic Four....but they aren't The FF anymore and Spidey is an Avenger too...along with Wolverine who is an X-man and part of X-Force.....and...and...and....OH GOD please buy more of our comics...

BLEH!

I know what you mean, man. The way I look at it is, fuck the continuity. Read about it in a forum for curiosity sake but don't ever buy the comics unless they're actually good. Being a huge Coipel fan, I got Siege which thank god was only 4 issues long. I skipped Heroic Age and pretty much every other crossover since. I've read two issues of Fear Itself and decided it wasn't worth the time or money to read anymore.

And as a fan of comics where people don't whine about how hard it is to be them, I tend to stay away from DC. And since I think Geoff Johns couldn't write his way out of a damp paper bag I haven't been able to even give a major crossover of their's a shot in years.

But the way I look at it is, everything is an episode of a long going cartoon. You remember that episode of Thor when Asgard was in Oklahoma and he had to summon all the Asgardians back? That was sweet. Or when Spider-Man helped out the X-Men?...That was a piece of shit but hey, Bachalo draws nice.

I've stop caring what anybody is doing at anytime because "nothing will be the same again" and again and again.

All this shit you have to look at from a money-making point of view. They're going to keep doing this shit as long as it sells. So unless every superhero fan decides they don't give a shit about Flashpoint and that Native American Batman looks really racist, these things are gonna keep coming out.

Fun fact: Some higher-up in Marvel admitted that they sell much more when people are angry at the events that happen in their books rather than happy. Think about it. Makes a lot of what they're doing make sense.

Another fun fact: DC is going to start 50+ books over at issue 1 in September. Got Jim Lee designing the new costumes. So, you know, nothing will ever be the same again.

Also, this thread is great. I've been meaning to get into something without a cape in it for a while and now I've got too many options.
"C'mon, ladies! Play us a tasty lick!"

« Reply #953 on: Jun 03, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Got the first volume of Orc Stain for my birthday and... omigod. Omigod, this is great stuff. Great, fun, crude, artfully drawn, intricately detailed stuff.

« Reply #954 on: Jun 04, 2011, 11:56 AM »

I never get why every year it seems we have some earth-shattering event occurring. It also makes me wonder how long before there's going to be another new continuity reboot. I kind of like to take my Batman without all the fantasy the rest of the DC Universe provides. It feels sort of weird when all of a sudden we have a black ring zombie-ghosts or whatever that shit was forced on the more grounded characters in the same context.

Certainly Clayface was never realistic but he felt realistic enough for the setting as opposed to Batman traveling through time. I'm okay with Batman being the World's Greatest Detective, but it gets kind of boring when he literally has the script given to him in advance so he knows how the mind of an intergalactic warlord.

Maybe this is the reason I still just read maybe 5 old Batman stories and call it quits on new stuff.

In other news I'm rereading Little Ego. Great art, look it up. Erotic parody/tribute to Little Nemo.

« Reply #955 on: Jun 04, 2011, 03:46 PM »
Ah well I'm a reader of those comics but I'm not gonna defend em or anything, they definitely do stupid things in pursuit of the almighty buck.  Marvel's big event is really just a way to cash in on Thor and Captain America and restore status quo and they're not hiding that at all.  It's really a big smashfest.  Fear Itself is utterly boring. 

On the other hand, I really am enjoying Flashpoint.  Yeah it's nothing new, it's really Age of Apocalypse starring the Flash but I really like it.  Abin Sur as a still living Green Lantern is cool, Batman's dad as an angr(ier) Batman is pretty fun, and I like how basically the world is just really fucked up and there's no one like Superman to solve all the problems.  (They haven't revealed what's been happening to Superman or how he exists in this continuity but he's there and it'll be shown eventually).  Cyborg as the US President and greatest of all superheroes seems to be some sort of Obama wink. Oh and Aquaman and Wonder Woman are at war and have dragged the rest of the world in it.  They're actually the two big major antagonists.

I agree they should tone down the big events.  In fact it's why I stopped reading a lot of mainstream comics for so long.  Marvel had event after event all tied together for several years that finally culminated in Skrull Invasion and really I was sick of it.  Dc was doing the same (since DC and Marvel always compete by creating analagous events) with tons of little events culminating in Final Crisis.  In a way I applaud their effort for trying to create these huge overarching storylines but really they were all just big abortions. 

Marvel's Heroic Age was not supposed to be an event but rather a jumping on point and supposedly a promise that the comics would start being self contained, that they'd be more adventurous and fun and that they'd stop hitting us over the head with these world ending crises.  Which is why I thought it was really stupid that slapped Heroic Age all over their covers.  And even then it didn't take them long to jump into Fear Itself.

For me, DC's strongest stories are the Green Lantern ones, and I like Geoff John's expansion of the mythos.  In fact, Blackest Night succeeded in bringing me back to the fold.  My respect for Grant Morrison went down even further (I only like some of his stories, I've been hating on him ever since his XMen run) after he did his whole "BATMAN IS A TIME TRAVELLING GOD" storyline.  That story is not easily accessible at all and there are in fact guides online to guide you through that thick reference laden story.  Really it's a mess, I wouldn't recommend it but I know some fanboys who flip out for it.  Though I do like Batman Incorporated and I think it's the only good thing to come out of that so far.

Really fun stories I'd recommend though are Marvel's Avengers Academy and Thunderbolts, DC's Xombi and THUNDER Agents.  They're consistently well written and you don't have to know any shit beforehand.  But personally I always look forward to Ultimate Spiderman.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2011, 03:52 PM by William_Duel »

« Reply #956 on: Jun 04, 2011, 04:00 PM »
What happened to "hey Joker is killing people, Batman! stop the Joker!" Was that basic premise not good enough to work with?

Also, on another note, I hate that comics Joker was given that scar to be like the Heath Ledger Joker.

« Reply #957 on: Jun 04, 2011, 04:13 PM »
What happened to "hey Joker is killing people, Batman! stop the Joker!" Was that basic premise not good enough to work with?

Also, on another note, I hate that comics Joker was given that scar to be like the Heath Ledger Joker.

Well it's not consistent.  It depends on the artist.  The Joker Graphic Novel which actually came out around the same time as the movie has the Chelsea Smile (though the artist claims he came up with the concept on his own and had nothing to do with Heath Ledger) but most comics have inconsistent ways of drawing his smile.  In fact, in his recent Action Comics appearance he just has some drawn black lines to suggest a curly cartoonish smile.

http://stars.ign.com/articles/841/841564p1.html

« Reply #958 on: Jun 04, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Well it's not consistent.  It depends on the artist.  The Joker Graphic Novel which actually came out around the same time as the movie has the Chelsea Smile (though the artist claims he came up with the concept on his own and had nothing to do with Heath Ledger) but most comics have inconsistent ways of drawing his smile.  In fact, in his recent Action Comics appearance he just has some drawn black lines to suggest a curly cartoonish smile.

http://stars.ign.com/articles/841/841564p1.html

See, Joker (the graphic novel) I'm okay with. That feels legitimately like a continuation of the movie and I'm fine with that, even if it was designed before or at the same time of.

My thing I dislike is the inclusion of that cut-smile in the regular serial Batman comics. It's like they're trying to attract an audience that only knows that Batman is in the movies.

Then again, I always thought Spiderman used web naturally since that made sense to me (I later found out sometime after the movies that he had canisters.) so go figure.

« Reply #959 on: Jun 04, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Giving Spiderman organic webbing (in order to match the movies) led to one of the most absurd and convoluted storylines in Spiderman's history (right up there with the clone saga) and now he's just back to tech web.

I guess the lesson here is that comics will bend over backwards in order to match what happens in the movies.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2011, 07:07 PM by William_Duel »

« Reply #960 on: Jun 04, 2011, 07:29 PM »
Personally I like Spiderman with organic webbing, I thought it was cooler than the cartridge based stuff. But either way Spiderman is still my fave superhero so whatever.

« Reply #961 on: Jun 04, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Hmmm.... this makes me want to read my comic collection...

« Reply #962 on: Jun 05, 2011, 04:39 AM »
... nerds.

« Reply #963 on: Jun 06, 2011, 06:43 PM »
http://sorrycomics.blogspot.com/

some really nice stuff.

« Reply #964 on: Jun 06, 2011, 08:19 PM »
I was flying high...until I read those sorry comics.  I'm so glad I'm not that kid.

« Reply #965 on: Jun 13, 2011, 09:02 PM »
All I have to do is remind Dan that Jubilee is a vampire now and he wants nothing to do with Marvel.  If only I could find a similar one-liner to sum up DC.
x-Force is actually pretty good, there's no reason Torch should be dead and he'll most certainly return, and Bucky is re-dead now.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #966 on: Jun 13, 2011, 10:38 PM »
But I like Jubilee as a vampire.  She's a million times more interesting now than well...she's ever been.

« Reply #967 on: Jun 14, 2011, 05:33 AM »
But I like Jubilee as a vampire.  She's a million times more interesting now than well...she's ever been.
I don't really have an opinion either way, but I like that it bugs Dan.

I AM tentatively excited for DC's non-reboot reboot.  While I don't like the thought of sitting through 52 origin stories, this is their best chance in quite some time to breath new life into their stable of characters.  Color me optimistic.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #968 on: Jun 14, 2011, 05:46 AM »
Last big two books I bought were those Deadpool issues Sheldon did & X-Force on the recommendation of a friend (& that was a pretty good read). Oh & some old Damage Control back issues, if you wanna get technical. But I bought those because I liked art or story, or heard good things about either of them; not the actual bullshit geek mythos happening inside. I got fed up with that shit years ago & moved on.

I will agree though, that Jubilee Vampire thing's bullshit. And that was after she apparently got some sort of Ironman supersuit from somewhere to fight crime in because she had lost her powers after the Scarlet Witch freaked out (or something). I was only keeping track because I had a pitch in mind where she ran into Jamie Braddock & it turned into homer's odyssey meets chuck jones' duck amuck.

« Reply #969 on: Jun 14, 2011, 08:35 AM »
I think they'll never know what to do with Jubilee if her fashion is any indicator.

http://i-beta.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/8/4/7/61847.jpg?v=1
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #970 on: Jun 15, 2011, 12:04 AM »
One night out a friend of mine slapped this baby on the table in front of me:

Curious, I flipped through and began reading just a bit to see how it was. When I realized I was on page 36, I forced myself to stop reading and bought it. I have finished this book, my friends. I have no regrets.

The art's not amazing but it is good and the story is great. Rather than ruin it with a shotty summary of my own making, I'll recommend going HERE. It has a summary and a 17 page preview! Neat!

I've also read the first issue of
Reed Gunther!
Your mileage may vary. It's a simple little comedy about a cowboy and his bear companion. I was coming off of a long slog through subpar mainstream comics when I read this issue and it warmed my bones.

Also, everytime I read an issue of X-Men (the one where Jubilee got turned into a vampire) it was utter shit. I wouldn't mind if this "Victor Gischler" who's writing it was hit by a bus. So take that into consideration if you want.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2011, 12:07 AM by NeoIcarus »
"C'mon, ladies! Play us a tasty lick!"

« Reply #971 on: Jul 05, 2011, 02:10 PM »
I'm not reading anything at the moment, but previously I have been reading:

« Reply #972 on: Jul 05, 2011, 07:17 PM »
Bone is always a winner.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #973 on: Jul 05, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I just finished reading Planet Hulk

It's pretty good, the art is fantastic, while the story is more generic in the fact that Marvel used elements of the Sparticus storyline to tell a new Hulk story (guess who's spatricus...)

The following arc should prove interesting, in World War Hulk.
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #974 on: Jul 13, 2011, 06:58 PM »
recently I finished reading Spiderman Birth of Venom and Green Lantern Secret Origins
I just started reading Batman The Long Halloween for the 2nd time when I finish that I'll probably start reading the sequel Dark Victory

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

300 Guests, 3 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us