So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #925 on: Apr 16, 2011, 03:07 AM »
Umbrella Academy was awesome! "Dallas" was great too, but I'm sad that "Hotel Oblivion" (Umbrella Academy 3) isn't done/out yet.
That first arc would make a sweet movie.

I've been staring at (but not reading) Lackadaisy Cats for a long time. Love the costumes and expressions.

« Reply #926 on: Apr 17, 2011, 10:26 AM »
I've read a metric tonne of stuff recently, including, but not limited to:

Supermarket
Strong opening that leads into a interesting middle, but a rushed ending.  Kind of expected more from Wood, whom I'm a huge fan of.  Also a fan of Kristian Donaldson, and the man does not disappoint.

Akira
Finally!  I have all six books and am reading my way through for a very first time.  I hang my head in shame for not having done so sooner.

Invincible
It took years of pestering by Dan and the advice from two others that I needed to read through at least the third trade before making a decision on this series.  While it sounds absurd to read ~15 issues of a series before determining whether you like it or not, I tried it, and it turns out I enjoy it.

Umbrella Academy: Dallas
While still highly enjoyable, I don't think I liked this as much as the first series.  I sincerely hope Umbrella Academy continues for years to come.

Chew, volumes 2 and 3
I've spoken before about Chew, and it continues to amaze.  How they plan to make a TV series out of this, I have no idea, but the comic is fantastic, hilarious, and full of surprises.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #927 on: Apr 17, 2011, 10:36 AM »
I bought the first Invincible ultimate edition randomly at a book years ago (I didn't know anything about the title, I was bored, away from home and I saw superheroes) and I fell in love with the series immediately.  Kirkman's writing is to me the ideal sort of writing that a superhero comic should have, not only are the villains recurring but dozens of plot points are woven in and never forgotten or left to rot.  It's the sort of writing I aspire to.  Though instead of collecting the individual issues I wait until the ultimate edition trades come out.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2011, 10:38 AM by William_Duel »

« Reply #928 on: Apr 28, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Huh so Sheldon did the art for this week's Deadpool.  I wonder if this means he's gonna be a regular or semi-regular on the title?  Either way it was a supremely funny issue.  Sheldon's hectic art fits Deadpool well.  I especially love the take on Blind Al, blind old lady using a seeing eye dog to shoot people is hilarious.

« Reply #929 on: Apr 29, 2011, 04:36 AM »
Huh so Sheldon did the art for this week's Deadpool.

There're like eight-two deadpool titles out every month. Which one?

« Reply #930 on: Apr 29, 2011, 06:49 AM »
Deadpool #32

but it was out(in NOrth AMerica at least) in January
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2011, 06:52 AM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #931 on: Apr 29, 2011, 06:55 AM »
Yeah I've had that one. I didn't remember anything about seeing eye dog assassins in it, so it sounded like another issue.

« Reply #933 on: Apr 29, 2011, 07:16 AM »
cool, thanks dude. I'll have to go look.

beyond that, thanks for providing the link. the same four guys bickering back & forth about deadpool continuity underneath? wow man. wow...

...COMICS.

« Reply #934 on: Apr 29, 2011, 07:16 AM »
oh didn't know he did another one
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #935 on: Apr 29, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Huh so Sheldon did the art for this week's Deadpool.

There're like eight-two deadpool titles out every month. Which one?

Not anymore there aren't.  Deadpool Team Up and Deadpool Corps have both bit the dust.  Though there's still the main series and Deadpool MAX.  I like the MAX series though, it's crazier than usual.

« Reply #936 on: May 08, 2011, 04:46 AM »
Itou Junji's Cat Diary.

IF you are familiar with Itou Junji then you know he's a master of horror who writes really awesome horror manga.  This is not that.  Maybe.  Rather this manga is about the horror that the author himself faces as he moves into a new house and gets new pet cats.  It's hilarious especially because it's in his trademark creepy style.  Even the cats look creepy hahaha.  FEAR THE KITTIES.

« Reply #937 on: May 08, 2011, 05:00 AM »
Haha lol is that so? I just read the Amigara Fault story, which I found so simple but such a creepy concept (I'm not even claustrophobic but I get a sadistic grin thinking of those who are reading this story) and I'm going to read Gyo later today. And I've seen other stuff he's done too (Didn't he also do Uzumaki? I read a few volumes of that too) but hah the idea of a non supernatural horror story that focuses on cats certainly sounds different from what I've seen him do. lol

« Reply #938 on: May 13, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Just finished reading Orc Stain 6 and Velocity 4. Also got the most recent issue of Deadpool that Sheldon did (my first Deadpool issue ever) and a bunch of free comics from FCBD (Sonic, Spiderman, and The Darkness II). I also bought Axe Cop #2. I also picked up the Orc Stain trade (despite already having issues 1-5) because I wanna give my support and I love that comic. Hell if more VOIDer work was more readily available to me locally I'd probably get it just to support the community : D

I also just picked up today Deadman Wonderland 1, 2, and 4. I figured I'd snag them now in case I never see them again. Been REALLY enjoying the show so I figure why not get the manga too! I am just a bit bummed out that they had volume 1, 2, and then two copies of 4 rather than a copy of #3 :(

So all in all I think this is the most comics I have gotten all so close to one another lol. For someone who doesn't really read a lot very often I was pretty surprised I got what I did.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:37 PM by Orange »

« Reply #939 on: May 13, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Aside from the usual weekly picks, I picked up a new Image title Gladstone's School for Future World Conquerors. 

The concept seems really fun, a school for super villainy?  Why not?  Plus it seems that the superhero/villain thing is not as straightforward as even most of the characters believe.  The characters are well designed and I enjoyed this first issue.  It reminds me a lot of the Teen Titans cartoon insofar as mood and style.  So if you liked that show you'll probably like this one.  Only thing that bugs me is that I find the colors a bit bright and garish but whatever. 

« Reply #940 on: May 13, 2011, 08:16 PM »
i am not a huge comic nut anymore,more a artbook guy,but...
I've read a couple of times about OCR stain,and decided to check with my dutch online book store if they had it ,..FUCK YEAH !! they do ,so ordered it straight away,..might not be my type of story,...but James artwork was always awesome !

Plus i really want to get my hands on an Uncanny X-Force trade,..does anyone know if that's out already...

« Reply #941 on: May 13, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Yes Uncanny X-Force: The Apocalypse Solution is out.

« Reply #942 on: May 13, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Yes Uncanny X-Force: The Apocalypse Solution is out.

thanks for the heads up,have to check that out

« Reply #943 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51 AM »
Looks like one of the books me and David worked on is finally available for purchase online

http://indyplanet.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=1681&products_id=5142

Not sure when more will be available.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #944 on: May 14, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Warzone looks cool! Congrats you two. I'ma try to get this

« Reply #945 on: May 15, 2011, 02:22 PM »

I think we can all tell my taste in story. But seriously, all I read anymore is Noir or detective stories.   Moritat and Sean Murphy Gordon are my big inspirations right now as well.

« Reply #946 on: May 20, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Haha holy shit.  There's a new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8.  I did not expect this but man am I glad to see it.  ZSABREUSER WHERE ARE YOU?

Man I wonder if someone could help me.  I've been searching for a particular series for a very long time.  I'm not sure who here is familiar with Hong Kong manwhua if anyone at all but I am looking for this series Solar Lord by Koo Fuk Lung.

You see when I was a child, there was a major promotion and major push to get Chinese comics into Western markets.  The US attempt included titles Solar Lord and Tiger Dragon Man published through Image.  (Eventually more famous titles like Shaolin Soccer and Storm Riders by the famous Tony Wong made their way over).  Unfortunately the image run of Solar Lord only went up to issue 7.  But meanwhile at this time I spent my summers in Peru, where an attempt to peddle Solar Lord was being made.  It was thanks to this effort that I was able to collect the series up to issue 15 in spanish.  Unfortunately upon later visits to Peru no trace of the franchise existed anymore (despite the visibility it had everywhere once it was first introduced).  Peru not having a reliable comics scene and very few comics shops made it harder to track down.  Speed up time a little, and during my trip to Italy in 2000, I noticed a trade paperback of Solar Lord on a newsstand.  Oh what a wasted chance, I was with a tour and could not stop to buy it.  So every few years or so, I remember this obsession and scour the internet with little to no luck.  Most sources only offer the 7 puny issues that Image translated.  So if anyone knows anything about this series, I don't care what language it's in, please send some info my way or if maybe someone can play middleman that would be cool too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 10:05 AM by William_Duel »

« Reply #947 on: May 28, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Kenneth Rocafort is now drawing Action Comics.

« Reply #948 on: May 29, 2011, 02:13 AM »

I think we can all tell my taste in story. But seriously, all I read anymore is Noir or detective stories.   Moritat and Sean Murphy Gordon are my big inspirations right now as well.

Duuuude.  You need to start reading Torpedo RIGHT NOW.

and some Union Station

Hey Will, that Solar Lord book looks kinda cool when I did some searching about it.  Have you tried searching for it on Asian online bookstores?  Or even Spanish online bookstores. 

Or you could ask on the authors website? http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/fuklung221  One of his fans could probably help you.

« Reply #949 on: May 29, 2011, 04:31 AM »
That's a ton man, I'll give it a shot.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

551 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 643.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us