So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #850 on: Oct 06, 2010, 05:12 PM »
I remember reading Chapter 1 when it was new and while I thought the series sounded somewhat interesting (among everything else that was around at the time) I did not follow up on it.  But I am reconsidering now that you guys are talking about it.

« Reply #851 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:20 PM »
I like comics a lot.  But you know I feel desensitized to a lot of them.  Things that happen in print form don't illicit a strong emotional reaction but I have finally found a comic that has.  I am floored.  

And for once, I don't even want to spoil what happens.  I'll show you this page because it's one of my favorite pages though:

It is called I Am A Hero.  There's a movie I can easily compare it to but it would ruin it if I said it.  The best thing I can say about the comic is that it starts out at an easy pace with a seemingly slice of life approach but has quite the bizarre main character.  But keep reading it and pay attention and I promise you will be pleasantly surprised.  Mature Audiences only.

PS If you enjoy stories like Oyasumi Punpun, I would say the storytelling is similar in a way.  I think if you enjoy that sort of story you'll enjoy this one.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2010, 11:24 PM by William_Duel »

« Reply #852 on: Oct 07, 2010, 12:14 AM »
Haha, they even have hipsters in Japan? oh god.
I got to read this now.

« Reply #853 on: Oct 07, 2010, 12:51 AM »
i am intrigued.

link me.

« Reply #854 on: Oct 07, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Got my birthday money today so I did some comic shopping

Bakuman volume 1
Pluto volume 6
Naruto volume 49
Akira volume 1 (thank god they rereleased it!)
Peepo Choo volume 1
Blankets
Solanin
Koko Be Good
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #855 on: Oct 09, 2010, 10:26 AM »

Just found this, but no time to read it. i'll have to check it out after work today
Picard is the man.

« Reply #856 on: Oct 09, 2010, 01:18 PM »
So apparently Archie Comics has announced that they are launching a Megaman comic.  As a megaman fanatic I don't know how I feel about this...

« Reply #857 on: Oct 09, 2010, 02:33 PM »
So apparently Archie Comics has announced that they are launching a Megaman comic.  As a megaman fanatic I don't know how I feel about this...

If it's anything like the Megamix it could be good. Last I checked, they still had the Sonic comics going on, so they must be doing something right.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I spoke too soon.

That is some funky face on Cutman.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2010, 02:40 PM by RoflQu »

« Reply #858 on: Oct 09, 2010, 03:25 PM »
Damnit Spaz, what the hell has happened to you. You know I was getting my hopes up a bit because the cover art wasn't too bad, neither were some of the concept sketches that Spaz had put out when they revealed this. His covers for a couple of the upcoming Sonic issues were looking better than his recent stuff...

But now he is back to this. He used to be so awesome back in the day, what happened =(.

« Reply #859 on: Oct 09, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Damnit Spaz, what the hell has happened to you. You know I was getting my hopes up a bit because the cover art wasn't too bad, neither were some of the concept sketches that Spaz had put out when they revealed this. His covers for a couple of the upcoming Sonic issues were looking better than his recent stuff...

But now he is back to this. He used to be so awesome back in the day, what happened =(.

how to draw manga man

« Reply #860 on: Oct 12, 2010, 02:01 PM »
I'd really like to have a nice stack shot like Toast posted earlier, but my camera's shit & it's too much of a hassle for me to upload. But I spent way, way, WAY too much money at NYCC (& the greater NY area after)...

First off, finally got my copy of Rice Boy from Evan! FUCK YES!! Was going to hang with him in the city yesterday, but things worked out all right & wrong. But I got the collection & the making of. I read through the story before, but did it again in one huge chunk instead of sleeping one night. So awesome...

Most of the money went to the table selling BDs (very inconveniently down the same aisle with all the cosplay materials & love pillows... which was unsettlingly the busiest corner of the con it seemed).

All very much worth it... though really fucking heavy to lug around the city all day. They'll totally lighten the load now though because otherwise, I would've been lugging them back from France.

I'm waiting to read this. I know the art's going to be amazing because Nathan Fox hit some sort of crazy stride & is amazing now. I also got Unauthorized Comics, edited by Ulises Farinas, it's a take on DC characters which I typically wouldn't care about, but get a load of his Batman page:

And
And

And outside the con, because apparently I can't go to NY without dropping money at the Japanese bookstore there, I got:

Which is all of the storyboards for FLCL. Sure it's not a comic, but I like it a lot. Don't know if I'd recommend it to others though because it was kinda pricey for what it was. Which is a lot of loose sketches. Oh & from Bergen Street, greatest comic shop in the world, I got PRISON PIT vol 2!!

and Orc Stain 5, which I haven't gotten too yet.

« Reply #861 on: Oct 12, 2010, 06:59 PM »
I just read the comic for the newest Left 4 Dead campaign, "The Sacrifice". The art is a little funky in some spots, however I enjoyed the story and even if you don't know the Left 4 Dead universe (it's zombies), you don't really need to, because the story is presented pretty well. It's about a 178 page read, all download-able in PDF format.

http://www.l4d.com/comic/

« Reply #862 on: Oct 12, 2010, 09:16 PM »
I'd really like to have a nice stack shot like Toast posted earlier, but my camera's shit & it's too much of a hassle for me to upload.
I took that picture with my phone... turned out much larger than I thought it would, which worked out kinda well to get all the titles and creator names

The one book that didn't make the stack picture:

Seriously, get this any way you can

Also, I shelved the old stack over the weekend and made a new one of books I'd started reading but hadn't finished and other stuff I intend to get to very soon.  Maybe I'll take another picture.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #863 on: Oct 19, 2010, 11:41 PM »
might as well post it here. I don't know if this was announced a while ago or you've all seen it, but here's the first few pages of KICK-ASS 2.
http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=2593&page=6

xD :] :I ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #864 on: Oct 20, 2010, 02:05 AM »
friend shared this on facebook, thought i'd share it with all of you.

« Reply #865 on: Oct 20, 2010, 05:53 PM »
As far as print comics go, as of late I've only been reading Locke and Key. It's a really amazing story, it's about halfway through at the current moment and anthologies for the first 3 of 6 'books' are out now, I believe. Basically, it's about this family of three kids and their mother who suffered the murder of their father at the hands of this maniac. There was something in the will specifying they move to the old family home and when they get there they start to find all these keys with magical properties. Really quite cool, I'd DEFINITELY reccomend it.

All the issues are really beautifully drawn and though I wasn't a fan of the style in the beginning and was in it mostly for the story I have to say that not only has the detail improved but it has grown on me a lot. Everything is rendered with a lot of care and the art always compliments the writing perfectly, I'd definitely check it out.

In terms of webcomics, SO much.

Homestuck by Andrew Hussie comes very highly reccomended, its getting more and more popular by the day and it not only updates every day (or close to it) but there are MULTIPLE updates daily. Really interesting story (that I couldn't BEGIN to try and summarize) and a cool format.

Effort Comics is also good but the updates are somewhat infrequent, good story though and I love the art to death. NSFW though.

And yes, Hanna is a Boy's Name of course must be included. It has a pretty compelling story (though updates are verrrry scarce at times) and the art is SO great.

And as for "gag" comics, Nedroid, Gunshow Comic, and Hark! A Vagrant (love Kate Beaton's art style...) are a few of my favorites.

« Reply #866 on: Nov 10, 2010, 11:53 AM »

One Piece-I've read it on and off for years and finally decided to sit back and get caught up. I'm getting there. I never saw what the big deal was or why people loved it so much and then I got to the whole Skypiea arc and couldn't stop reading. It's a little weird to say it took 200 chapters for me to really start to love it but I'm glad I stuck with it.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #867 on: Nov 10, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I have also been reading One Piece, Bleach, and (why i don't know) Naruto.

One Piece is a comic people in our circles can't afford to ignore. Even Scott McCloud uses it as an example, several times, in Making Comics. And that was published back in 2006. It is a fantastic read, and will get your adrenalin pumping. The recent chapters are only getting better.

http://manga.bleachexile.com/one-piece-chapter-1.html

another thing I picked up was
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2010, 08:07 PM by The_BenT_One »
- I yearn for redemption, but I'll settle for a breakfast sandwich.

« Reply #868 on: Nov 11, 2010, 02:23 PM »

And Chickens will inherit the Earth...

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2010, 02:31 PM by William_Duel »

« Reply #869 on: Dec 03, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Just found this.  As a fan of mainstream comics this is pretty entertaining to read.  I guess if you don't know much about mainstream comic characters or the people who run the show this webcomic might not be for you.  Each page is standalone and drawn by a different popular artist and is often some sort of criticism against dc/marvel/darkhorse/etc. for the most part.
http://www.the-gutters.com/
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010, 05:58 PM by William_Duel »

« Reply #870 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:09 PM »

This has been staring at me in my local comic shop for quite some time and so I browsed it and immediately bought up all five issues.  It's quite a ride.  I wouldn't say that the concept is anything new but I don't think it's ever been properly explored in Western comics.  To put it simply, it's a reality where every nation creates a superhero/superhuman except that these superhumans are practically man-made gods.  And well, they have some pretty odd ideas about how to save humanity.  And then comes the Apocalypse. 

I hadn't read the two series by Ellis before this one that completes his superhuman trilogy but I've got an eye out for Black Summer and No Hero.

Neonomicon

Now I've long been desensitized to comics.  Sexuality and violence in comics, for the most part, doesn't cause me to flinch in the least.  (And it's my belief that I've seen more than most.)  Except when Alan Moore's at the helm.  Over the years, any scene I've found cringeworthy has been written by him.  I consider him to be batshit crazy and this series only further confirms my belief.  This second issue depicted here definitely made me squirm and left me feeling very uncomfortable and upset by the time I was done reading it.  And it's because I had these feelings that I have to give the man credit for being such a good writer to elicit such a reaction.  So take it from me, who has probably read titles that make other people cry, if you're not okay with it, then avoid this title like the plague, otherwise if you A) like Alan Moore B) like the Cthulhu mythos C) wanna find out what sort of guts you have or D) all of the above, then by all means go and read it. 

« Reply #871 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:36 AM »
I didn't found a thread for webcomics, sry if I overlooked it, but I really had to share this with you:

http://www.wormworldsaga.com/

I just adored the story when I read it, hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did :D

« Reply #872 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:47 AM »
I read that just yesterday F3E, it's really good.

Speaking of webcomics

http://ryan-a.tumblr.com/post/1325972211/nif01

I wanna bust out the ink washes now
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #873 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:10 PM »
:O Interesting, it seems that all that ink wash is applied digitally.  it would be cool to know what his process is.

« Reply #874 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:51 PM »
I have no idea, I can't think of a way to do it in PS that would come out looking naturally. I initially thought maybe he did the washes on separate pieces of paper and then scanned them in and plopped them into the lineart in PS. But on panels where there's shadows it looks so natural I feel like that probably wasn't it. If it was indeed PS he may have some really crazy awesome custom brushes.
Kittens wearins mittens

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

296 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us