So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #825 on: Aug 21, 2010, 09:41 PM »
I wish I knew French.. I wanna read Bestioles so bad.

« Reply #826 on: Aug 22, 2010, 03:22 AM »
Perhaps they might have it on an online bookstore, maybe a French one?

I'm fairly sure if you have an account at Amazon.com it works at Amazon.co.uk.

« Reply #827 on: Aug 25, 2010, 06:30 PM »
So I just bought and read I Kill Giants.  It's a damn good book.  'Nuff Said.

« Reply #828 on: Aug 25, 2010, 06:52 PM »
So I just bought and read I Kill Giants.  It's a damn good book.  'Nuff Said.

I own 'em, and have read them bunches. Thoroughly enjoy!

« Reply #829 on: Aug 26, 2010, 08:17 PM »
I've seen it around and thought about it but never convinced myself to take a risk with it. Maybe I'll grab one though, see how damn good it is.

« Reply #830 on: Aug 31, 2010, 01:10 PM »
I wouldn't call this a comic, more a narration with pictures, but I'm entertained all the same. 
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/08/expectations-vs-reality.html

« Reply #831 on: Aug 31, 2010, 02:35 PM »
holy crap, i can't believe that comic is still running. and she's making a living off it!

« Reply #833 on: Sep 01, 2010, 12:15 AM »
Anyone read Manly Guys Doing Manly Things?
thepunchlineismachismo.com

« Reply #834 on: Sep 01, 2010, 05:34 AM »
By air

« Reply #835 on: Sep 01, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Anyone read Manly Guys Doing Manly Things?
thepunchlineismachismo.com

I sure am now.
"I knew when I sighned up for Void years ago, Someday I'm going to prison for this site"  - Mister Kent, words to live by

« Reply #836 on: Sep 01, 2010, 06:51 PM »

Finished this a little while ago.  It was good, but felt like it should have been split up into volumes to slow down the pacing a little.  There are some heavier themes and cool concepts, but everything is just breezed over for the sake of fitting it all into one book.  Still, a decent read.

« Reply #837 on: Sep 09, 2010, 04:19 PM »
So while the trailer for Panties and Stockings with Garterbelt looks fun, while waiting for the show, here's the manga:
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/panty_stocking_with_garterbelt/v01/c001/

« Reply #838 on: Sep 10, 2010, 10:47 AM »
oh wow, the anime holds very true to the manga
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #839 on: Sep 10, 2010, 11:33 AM »
Is anybody reading Northlands?  This is by far my favorite ongoing right now...

« Reply #840 on: Oct 05, 2010, 01:37 PM »

NEW YORK: THE BIG CITY

by Will Eisner

A rather charming and heart-felt series of vignettes from the old master Will Eisner. I can see why Eisner was so revered for his skills as not only a comic maker but as a writer as well. Worth the read if you can find it. I got it 40% off at a local shop and the price wasn't that bad to begin with.  Great little snapshots into small moments and day to day of city life warts and all in some places (albeit a rather old fashion one.) The character deisigns and movement are tight and I love the gray scale effect giving it a timeless look.

A great read from an old master. :)
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2010, 01:39 PM by Orion »

« Reply #841 on: Oct 05, 2010, 07:23 PM »

This is a stack of stuff I've read recently... it's actually grown a bit since a took this picture
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #842 on: Oct 05, 2010, 07:40 PM »
A lot of those are titles I hope I get around to read someday.

« Reply #843 on: Oct 05, 2010, 09:29 PM »
I was planning on writing something about each, and thus the stack on the corner of my desk... but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it.

Quickly, from the bottom:
Joker is cool
Coward... kinda sucks.  Not sure what all the hype is about
Unwritten - Book 1 is fantastic, Book 2 just plods along
Madame Mirage is certainly nice to look at, though the story is just kinda there
I love Fear Agent and will be saddened while Remender is at Marvel and not working on more Fear Agent
Chew is one of the most original and unpredictable books I've read in a long tome.
The Sword is madness, though sometimes there's way too many talking heads and exposition
Revolver is definitely cool and interesting
If you're not already, you should really be reading Northlanders
BPRD is good stuff
Ex Machina - Kinda liked it more when it was just political and the hero stuff was in the past.  Nearing its end, the book is going into a weird place I'm not sure I like.
All-Star Superman - I was harsh on this originally, but it reads much better as a whole than as random single issues.  Recommended.
Elephantmen moves very slowly and has some occasionally lazy looking art.  Otherwise pretty good.
Haven't played the Dead Space game, but the comic makes me want to.  Creepy and great.
Planetary has an abrupt ending to an otherwise fantastic series
I was saddened when Hellboy left the BPRD, but his solo stuff, especially Wild Hunt, and fucking GRAND
Rocketo - Much like Unwritten, Book 1 is fantastic and Book 2 is kinda forgettable.
Ghostopolis - I love Tennapel.  Bonus: It's in color!
Parker - Oh my God, get this!  And anything else by Cooke while you're at it.
I can barely find the words to describe Peepo Choo.  It's crazy... a sort of spiritual successor to MBQ, but also completely different.  You're really have to try it for yourself.
Scott Pilgrim - Totally agree with the crits on the early books that all the characters look the same.  Get past that, though, and the story is hilarious, sweet, and fun
I like MBQ, but can understand why others don't.  It's gonna be hit or miss with people.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

...not really, but it's all the time I've got
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #844 on: Oct 05, 2010, 09:49 PM »
I just got the first issue of Chew.  And it is so wierd and yet so interesting all at once.  I'm definitely gonna start collecting though because the first issue made me want more.

« Reply #845 on: Oct 06, 2010, 12:52 AM »
man, i really have to get/read mbq3 one of these days. it's the last in the series, right? i really dig it, there's a lot of energy in the art and the writing hits pretty close to home.

« Reply #846 on: Oct 06, 2010, 01:55 AM »

Blacksad, vol. 1--Got this about a week ago, AMAZING stuff.

The Abomibable Charles Christopher-- really nicely done in every way, and really rather cute

Grabbed this from the library an hour ago, I haven't even started it.

Man, comics are just so expensive, sucks having to rely on libraries so much. I had to put down copies of Ghost World, Tank Girl and BPRD the last time I went chopping for comics, it was pretty lame.

« Reply #847 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:27 AM »
http://thethiefisdead.blogspot.com/

Gyakushu, you can read the whole thing there legally this month

Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #848 on: Oct 06, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I just read that now :D. At first I thought the writing was a bit tedious, the way the story kept going back to the narrator all the time and always going back and forth...but I think near the end of chapter 1 and start of chapter 2 it really started to find a great pace, and chapter 3 was awesome. Great read and the art kept getting stronger as each chapter progressed. Thanks for sharing!

« Reply #849 on: Oct 06, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Yeah it was hard to get into initially but it flowed a lot better as it went on
Kittens wearins mittens

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 14, 2024, 09:08 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

121 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 125.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us