So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #750 on: Apr 26, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Oh! I've read My New York Diary by Julie Doucet.
Totally badass shit right THUR.

Don't know if these have been mentioned ('cause I don't pay attention).
But I like 'em.

Black Hole By Charles burns

Maus by Art Spiegelman

American Elf by James Kochalka

...Many would probably find it boring. It's like a strip a day over 5 years or so.
But I enjoy it, so go fuck yourself.

« Reply #751 on: Apr 26, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Oh yeah those are classics and must reads for any fans of comics.  Good picks.

« Reply #752 on: May 26, 2010, 11:00 AM »
When The Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs

;__;

« Reply #753 on: May 26, 2010, 09:59 PM »

Mark Millar tends to write what I like to read. With Old Man Logan, the trend continues. Though if you hate Wolverine or Marvel in general, I don't know if it'd do you any good. If you don't care one way or the other, still check it out.

Also it holds my personal record of badassing up a totally lame villian.

yeah my hardbacks in the mail.
Imma pretty big Mcniven fan, and this read is quite worth it.

but anyway

figured I'd do my research, really good reads. One would think Red Dead Rdedmption was based offa this whole run.

« Reply #754 on: Jun 03, 2010, 10:31 PM »

fuckin DEVILMAN

I've been on an old school manga kick lately

And to balance that out

Sasameki Koto, because I seem to always somehow end up reading lesbian romance manga. Yes my taste is all over the place when it comes to comics haha
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2010, 10:37 PM by angieness »
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #755 on: Jun 04, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Elektra Lives Again, by Frank Miller

I'm not sure how this one slipped under until now, but damn this is one fine looking book. An out of continuity one shot about Matt Murdock dealing with Elektra's death (and rebirth), I think this may be some of my favorite art of Frank Miller's career (and I'm a pretty big Miller fan). And it's pretty hardcore Miller (with really tight colors by Lynn Varley, as per).

Filled with great urban perspective shots and amazing detail, not to mention some hardcore fights, it shows a side to Miller's work that I've not paid much attention to, being mostly a fan of Sin City. My review is fairly pointless as it's been reviewed on 4thletter! a lot more elegantly and with more pictures (including one of my now favorite fight scenes.) Give it a look.

« Reply #756 on: Jun 06, 2010, 02:59 PM »

A little hard to follow, but the art is gorgeous.

« Reply #757 on: Jun 06, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Devilman is the greatest of them all.

« Reply #758 on: Jun 07, 2010, 12:02 AM »
http://goblins.keenspot.com/

I was skeptical at first, but my GOD this is a wonderful webcomic.
It's just wonderful, I've been reading it since http://www.meekcomic.com/ referred it.

Understanding all the D&D references are not required at all. Beneath all the RPG references and the graphic violence, there is a real sincere examination of absolute "Good vs. Evil". For instance, there's a heartbreaking couple of pages where a crazy old goblin and a blind old goblin are ruthlessly murdered by a deranged Paladin, who considers himself an unstoppable force of "good".

This is well written, give it a chance if the first few pages seem amateurish. You can see the coloring and pose quality improve quickly, and once the story gets going, you'll fall in love, I promise.

xD :] :I ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #759 on: Jun 19, 2010, 04:02 PM »
I can't find any images to link but I recommend Obrigado!  It's a manga that's a collection of one shot stories by Katou Shinkichi.  Each story is really different and drifts between strange and touching or both.  The art is pretty tight too and the visual storytelling is superb.  I'm not a big fan of the dark lines he uses for the faces but it's cool, the author drifts between really rendered and realistic images to really cartoony ones, especially when there's humor involved. 
This might be a bit of a spoiler but to give an example: The first story is about a young man who lives with his sister who turns tricks for a living and takes care of his baby niece.  They live in the near future with flying buses.  The flying bus becomes a metaphor and theme throughout the story.  Go read them all.

« Reply #760 on: Jun 19, 2010, 05:03 PM »
i found issues 2 and 3 of Orc Stain ;)

I didn't find number 1, so I am missing that, but its badass so far : D

« Reply #761 on: Jun 20, 2010, 01:16 PM »
Too Old. Beleive it or not I avoided all three of those. Yes they were at the Library. Yes I chose other Works. Lately I've been catching up with Baiou on Zuda. but that's about it. Having a craving to dg out my coverless E. R. Buroughs version of TARZAN. But I'd have to go ot to my Dads place and fck a sheep just to get to it.

« Reply #762 on: Jun 20, 2010, 04:03 PM »
It was a boring Sunday today, so I got some more Canadian content in.

The Hipless Boy by Sully

A charming collection of auto-bio comics by Sully.  It was a good afternoon read. The pages are actually printed in a really nice black and white and blue, no gray.

« Reply #763 on: Jul 01, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Hey uhhh my comic is ending on Monday

you know if you want to read it or something

http://www.rice-boy.com

« Reply #764 on: Jul 01, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I have been reading it :D
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #765 on: Jul 13, 2010, 12:46 AM »
I love Franken Fran. Jack got me into it a while back, and then it went on hiatus, and I guess it's back now.

Anyway, this chapter isn't wholly typical of the series, but I had to share it with you all.

http://www.1000manga.com/Franken_Fran/26/01/

READ IT TO THE END, TRUST ME IT'S WORTH IT.

« Reply #766 on: Jul 13, 2010, 02:08 AM »
After reading that I went to chapter 1 and read a couple more. Its disturbing, but yet its disturbing in such a...pleasant way? I am not sure half the time whether or not I should be smiling or feeling really disgusted haha. Its amazing. I'll have to read more sometime.

« Reply #767 on: Jul 13, 2010, 03:04 AM »
probably what most other people are reading recently...

Love it so far.

Also reading The Pro, because I finally got the chance to.

« Reply #768 on: Jul 13, 2010, 09:03 PM »
After you read The Pro, look up the animated short on YouTube - it's so good animated

« Reply #770 on: Jul 17, 2010, 07:23 AM »
I've always been a big fan of Tsutomu Nihei, ever since I found out about him when he did the Marvel miniseries Snikt! (which was basically Wolverine in the world of Blame essentially) and since then I eagerly devoured Blame and everything else that came along Abara, Biomega, etc.  I cite him as another influence, even if it isn't an obvious one.  Now I write this because I recently discovered he had a new series called Knights of Cydonia/Cydonia no Kishi (there's a MUSE song by the same name or something like that, I hear).  There's like eight chapters out but I like it.  It's ostenibly a mecha series but with a lot of his usual motifs.  The main character is essentially the only 'normal' human as he eats and has a physiology we are used to, while apparently everyone else in the future has developed photosynthesis.  And they fight gross nearly invincible aliens.  So if you're a fan, go read it.

Oh and since a friend recommended it I've been looking for issues of SHIELD, but it's so popular the first two issues are hard to find and will probably go through a second printing.  Meanwhile, catching up on Invincible.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2010, 07:30 AM by William_Duel »

« Reply #771 on: Jul 18, 2010, 06:50 PM »
I just picked up a buncha single issues today- Usagi Yojimbo, Orc Stain, King City, some Tank Girl miniseries, Chew, and mutha-fugging Darkwing Duck. I also read tons of webcomics, including but not limited to Girls With Slingshots, Girly, Dr. McNinja, Gunnerkrigg Court, FreakAngels, and Penny Arcade. I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of the last Scott Pilgrim volume this month. It's this month, right?

« Reply #772 on: Jul 22, 2010, 03:37 AM »
BAD NEWS, ALL ONLINE MANGA HOSTS SITES ARE GONNA GO DOWN SOON cause apparently japan hates us all now!!!! that's ok i guess, I'll miss em :(
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #773 on: Jul 22, 2010, 05:21 AM »
Why are they going down?!

« Reply #774 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:31 AM »
Why are they going down?!

Because reading fan scanned and translated manga online for free is apparently illegal. Who knew?

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

260 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 284.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us