So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #675 on: Aug 03, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Shaolin Cowboy...isn't that made by the Wachowski Brothers or something?  The Matrix guys?  And don't they have some Frankenstein comic too?

« Reply #676 on: Aug 04, 2009, 03:46 AM »
Invincible gets amazing dudes.  The Analogues in invincible are nothing but jokes really, the book is way more than that.  Even if Omni-man is a Superman rip, Kirkman takes that shit in a whole nother direction. 

Oh, you mean the DBZ direction. How radically different & innovative!

Shaolin Cowboy...isn't that made by the Wachowski Brothers or something?  The Matrix guys?  And don't they have some Frankenstein comic too?

fuck all that.... DARROW

« Reply #677 on: Aug 04, 2009, 06:23 AM »

Hitman was fun (and remarkably depressing at times) while it lasted. It has the character 'Dogwelder' in it, which I think may be the only thing most people remember about it. You can dig out most issues from the dollar bin.... or atleast that's how I started reading it.

Also Invincible was okay but I found it got more and more boring as time went on. Mostly because I found myself liking a lot of the side characters more and tragically, that's not what the book is about. Don't get me wrong. I love superheroes. It's just they built up this neat side cast and I have to focus on this guy I wasn't a huge fan of to begin with.

« Reply #678 on: Aug 04, 2009, 07:45 AM »
Haha Hitman was a great series.  I liked his last memorable posthumous appearance when he signed up to be in the Justice League, and when he was rejected he claimed his only goal had been to see Wonder Woman naked with X Ray vision.

« Reply #679 on: Aug 06, 2009, 11:52 AM »
I've been reading this title recently.  Got me hooked.
It's called Soil and it's a thriller at heart.  I like the art a lot.  To put the story simply it's about a small isolated town and the disappearance of a seemingly 'perfect' family.  The two detectives on the case are a shy and awkward female detective and a short stout detective who wears a wig and can't stop talking about his dick.  And shit happens, dirty secrets are revealed as the mystery gets deeper and deeper.  Good stuff.

« Reply #680 on: Aug 17, 2009, 06:28 PM »

Just an amazing book; it works on so many levels and totally deserves all the critical acclaim it's been getting. Mazzucchelli's masterpiece....people will be dissecting this for years.

Serious guys.  Everyone needs to read this comic.

« Reply #681 on: Aug 18, 2009, 07:51 PM »
I really love that cover! :o

« Reply #682 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:43 AM »
Playing Catchup through some of the recent Green Lantern Comics leading up to Blackest Night.

And Deadpool, of course~<3

Some Jeff Smith stuff, and I'm hoping to get a hand on some RASL as well~

« Reply #683 on: Sep 01, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Blackest Night is all kinds of awesome - I'm eagerly awaiting the Wonder Woman tie-in

« Reply #684 on: Sep 04, 2009, 06:48 PM »
I've been reading this story for awhile and I really like it.  It's called Noramimi.  The art is rather simple but it fits the tone of the story perfectly.  Basically it's a world like the real world except that a species of creatures commonly known as mascots exist.  Their only purpose and instinct is to play with children and freeload at their houses.  As the story itself dictates, it takes place when the demand for these mascots is at its peak.  So there are Mascot Agencies which exist to relocate mascots among families and accomodate their needs. 

The central story takes place at one of these local agencies (part of a chain) where the main character Noramimi resides.  As a mascot, he's terribly unlucky, it's been years since hes met a host family and there is no particular demand for his type.  So he's a grouchy, syrup loving yet lovable fellow.

The stories are mostly self contained and often revolve around the practices of these creatures and their interaction with their host families.  Sometimes the focus shifts away from Noramimi and his misadventures and highlights often newly introduced characters.  Some mascots are really popular or have fantastic superpowers, and some are plain and strive to change their image in order to be more attractive to families.  The manga has of yet, not explored their origins or why these creatures even exist, but they have certain features that are highlighted, for instance they cannot feel nor understand romantic love, and they are especially long lived (having entertained generations of children).  It's a fun story with some drama here and there and often times it's just about growing up and even the regrets of childhood.

« Reply #685 on: Sep 07, 2009, 10:43 AM »
Not a comic, but while travelling I've been reading the Johnny Cash autobiography.  It's nothing short of glorious.  If you're at all a fan of the man's music, you should really check out the book.

(that's not the cover, but it IS awesome)

As an aside:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22687

"Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness tells the story of Johnny Cash’s dramatic career in stunning black and white illustrations, and words by graphic novelist Reinhard Kleist."

Hit the link for more details... could be interesting.  I'm waiting to see a page count to try and determine how much material is really covered.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2009, 09:55 PM by Kevin Birtcher »
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #686 on: Sep 08, 2009, 11:30 PM »
JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE! Yeah!

... And this series a friend left in my house after she bought it in the comic shop called "Hauteville House." It's a French steampunk series of four books. I've only read a few pages of the first book. XD;
Do you believe in gravity?

« Reply #687 on: Sep 09, 2009, 07:56 AM »
I was recently given(!) a stack of comics from the 70's by my mother's cousin (however that works relation wise) who used to be a hardcore collector as a kid. In this stack are a Barry Smith Conan, a Steranko Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., & a Jack Kirby Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. Also some Ironman & some Howard The Duck. They are all bad ass though!

I had also lent out GL: Willworld & got that back. It's so fucking epic. I don't know why it wasn't a bigger deal than all these big event rainbow lantern shenanigans. It's a way better book. Seth Fisher was incredible on it.

« Reply #688 on: Sep 12, 2009, 04:06 PM »
"Eyeshield 21", a football manga. I'm not even into football, but it's good stuff nevertheless.
Particularly fun to read because the quarterback's a psychopath sadist.
Mm...yes.

« Reply #689 on: Sep 30, 2009, 07:10 PM »
"Eyeshield 21", a football manga. I'm not even into football, but it's good stuff nevertheless.
Particularly fun to read because the quarterback's a psychopath sadist.

AND HE HAD MORE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION THAN IRAQ DID.

So I went to Spx and I got

and ate some

Yup.

« Reply #690 on: Oct 01, 2009, 02:46 AM »
The Adventures of Dr.Mcninja.
Because things get even more crazier than this:

And re-reading the doom comic. Because I am really that bored right now.

« Reply #691 on: Oct 01, 2009, 11:19 AM »
Based on a recommendation from jamzchat, i started reading franken fran.
http://www.onemanga.com/Franken_Fran/

it's not really scary, but it's mature-medical-twilight-zone creepy as hell.

NSFW:
http://www.onemanga.com/Franken_Fran/3/20-21/
http://www.onemanga.com/Franken_Fran/4/24/

« Reply #692 on: Oct 01, 2009, 04:26 PM »
tdkeymash I'm right there with you on Dr. McNinja. I think it's my favorite webcomic ever. It even got me to start saying "radical" in casual conversation.

« Reply #693 on: Oct 02, 2009, 02:28 AM »
@ Corny: Ya know, the author did express his desire to see
              "SICKNASTY!" as a sound effect more often...  ;)

Anyone else want to admit to reading the Doom comic?
http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/

Click dat link. You know you want to.

« Reply #694 on: Oct 16, 2009, 08:17 PM »

American Splendor

I enjoyed the story "TransAtlantic Comics" a lot, for the part by Colin Warneford:

« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2010, 05:05 PM by squidman »

« Reply #695 on: Oct 17, 2009, 10:35 PM »

I just finished the Originals, recommended by Ponbiki months ago:

Set in an alternate history of Britian, featuring mods, drugs, fashion, hover bikes, love, revenge, and more in this beautifully rendered coming of age tale
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #696 on: Nov 03, 2009, 04:17 PM »
I just finished the complete Deadpool collection as of right now ( Took me a helluva lotta money to get all of them, but sure as hel was worth it :D)

And right now I've started up on reading some various webcomics ( as you can see in the thread webcomics i created :)) so I decided not to spend money on comics for awhile now (Seriously! The deadpoll collection thing was a really pain to complete money wise :/ )

« Reply #697 on: Nov 03, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Oyasumi Punpun
Goodnight Punpun

If you're not reading it, read it, RIGHT NOW.  It's a great story.  Really, I think it's become my favorite manga of all time.  Perhaps I'm just caught up in the flow of reading it right now but I advise anyone who can read to read it.  Made by the same author of Solanin.  If I were to give a brief summary, it's about growing up while struggling with loneliness and desperation.  And it's pretty funny too.  

Here's a picture of the hero of the story:
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2009, 09:38 PM by William_Duel »

« Reply #698 on: Nov 03, 2009, 09:03 PM »
hell yea oyasumi punpun

HE ALSO DID NIJIGAHRA HOLOGRAPH
pacing and story is incredible

i mentioned it before but idontcarepissoff

« Reply #699 on: Nov 22, 2009, 06:42 AM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHA.  I was always a huge fan of Saint Seiya since I was young but I never really followed any of Kurumada's other works, I knew them by name but not any of the plots.  So I started to read about Ring Ni Kakero, which sounds innocent enough, as a boxing manga about a brother and sister, the brother who inherits his father's techniques and the sister who inherits the ability to anaylze boxing potential.  And they're joined by the brother's eternal rival as they use over the top shounen techniques to fight.  Sounds great.

But as time goes on, it gets reallllly colorful.  The Japan team fights the US team which is lead by Black Shaft who has on his team colorful characters like the Emperor of the South who also happens to be a KKK member and a deathrow inmate with the suitable name of Monster Jail.  But it gets even better as the Greek Gods make their appearance and the heroes have to outbox the 12 Olympians.  And when they finally make it to the world championship they have to box....Jesus.  Jesus Christ is apparently the best boxer in the universe and has Neo Bible techniques.  Damn you Japan.  Damn you.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 14, 2024, 09:08 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

144 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 176.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us