So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #650 on: Jul 26, 2009, 08:46 PM »
As an avid DC fan, I picked up a Justice League comic:

This is freaking FANTASTIC. What I love about Justice League and other team-based superhero comics is that the focus can be on ANYBODY, so the variety is wide and fresh. This one is mainly about Red Tornado, a very under-valued air elemental in an android body. However, it also includes some other under-appreciated characters, such as Vixen, Black Lightning, Arsenal (formerly Speedy), and the new Hawkgirl. It's got a fantastic story, and some of the most beautiful art I've ever seen for the Justice League (by the Brazilian artist Ed Benes.....at least I'm pretty sure he's Brazilian).
But, as I was saying, it's really refreshing to have a comic that doesn't focus on the usual Superman (who's an effin' DICK.) or Batman (not that I don't like Batman) or whoever.

I also read some Teen Titans:
Vol. 1

Vol. 2

There are more, but I've only ever been able to find the third one once before. It's called "Beast Boys & Girls". The art is a little different for the majority of it, but it's still awesome.
This reincarnation of the Teen Titans is simply incredible. With the more-familiar Titans like Starfire, Cyborg, and Beast Boy all grown up, they take the lead and form a new team altogether. This time, it's Superboy, Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark), the third Robin (Tim Drake), and Kid Flash (Bart Allen; at first he's "Impulse" but about halfway through the first volume he becomes Kid Flash). These kids, and the three senior Titans, are living with the guilt of Donna Troy (former Wonder Girl, Troia)'s death and a crazed ex-Titan hunting them down, so the focus in this one, especially the first two, is shifted a little from kids fighting crime like all the other superheroes to kids fighting the idea that they're lesser heroes. There's this big fight between Wonder Woman and Starfire about Wonder Girl's freedom to CHOOSE to be a Titan because she WANTS to, even though Wonder Woman told her to stay away.
However, the plot element of Raven bringing the end of the world (but differently this time) and the Titans' duty to stop it is still present.
Even so, it's wonderful. The only thing I don't like about it is Wonder Girl and Superboy. Superboy's a stuck-up brat and Wonder Girl won't shut the fuck up about how she "doesn't belong anywhere" and how Donna Troy's death was "her fault" (it wasn't). But if you can get over that, this is great for Titans fans.
Mm...yes.

« Reply #651 on: Jul 26, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Titans is good stuff  ;)
That first JLA arc, as well (I sorta stopped reading after the Injustice League story, but can't wait until James Robinson and Mark Bagley take over!)

In celebration of the upcoming third volume, entitled Hotel Oblivion, I've been rereading this:

The First Volume, Apocalypse Suite

And the Second Volume, Dallas

« Reply #652 on: Jul 27, 2009, 12:55 PM »
Sawee:)
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 01:38 PM by Sleezmeister »

« Reply #653 on: Jul 27, 2009, 01:26 PM »
hey cockass...
it's called comics you ARE reading, not comics you've read & wanna ruin for others who might give a shit.
not that i would recommend any teen titan book recently or hell really any straight dcu stuff period, but still

darwyn cooke adapting westlake. it's pretty much the same source material as the lee marvin movie point blank. not a bad piece of work.

« Reply #654 on: Jul 27, 2009, 01:45 PM »
I like DCU characters, I do, but right now I'm not interested in it.  It's just too much junk going on.  Like that Teen Titans comic for example, I liked that roster but they don't give them enough stories, since everything changes so much so that it'll fit into DC's big overall super convoluted story.  The only thing I think is interesting right now is the Green Lantern Corps storyline.  Always liked them and the current storyline isn't bad.  Plus the Green Lantern movie just came out and that was fun too.

« Reply #655 on: Jul 27, 2009, 03:20 PM »
I would be maybe insulted or sad after that
but then you called me cockass so I laughed instead

« Reply #656 on: Jul 30, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Titans is good stuff  ;)
That first JLA arc, as well (I sorta stopped reading after the Injustice League story, but can't wait until James Robinson and Mark Bagley take over!)

In celebration of the upcoming third volume, entitled Hotel Oblivion, I've been rereading this:

The First Volume, Apocalypse Suite

I met this lovely young lass at Anime Central (a convention...nerdy me~) this past May:

Sorry it's such a bad photo; my camera, for whatever reason, doesn't take to human subjects very well, even though it has, like, ten settings for people.
Mm...yes.

« Reply #657 on: Jul 30, 2009, 07:31 PM »
cosplay isn't comics either. nerd.

unknown soldier has been pretty solid. the current storyline is about trying to assassinate a jolie-style celebrity activist doing the UN photo ops in order to get the world's attention.

« Reply #658 on: Jul 30, 2009, 09:56 PM »
I'm all about Vertigo comics - I've heard Unknown Soldier is good, and my friend was telling me about that current storyline. My favorite current Vertigo book (other than Fables, o'course) is AIR

« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2009, 10:02 PM by Mister Kent »

« Reply #659 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:31 PM »
Thaaaaaaaaaaanks
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 06:55 PM by Jack »
Be nice Jack.

« Reply #660 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Yessir

« Reply #661 on: Aug 01, 2009, 07:27 PM »
cosplay isn't comics either. nerd.

:D
Mm...yes.

« Reply #662 on: Aug 02, 2009, 07:06 AM »

Hopefully, no one is reading this piece of crap.

While I'm at it, don't read any of the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy, Ultimate Origins, OR The Ultimates vol. 3... those should have never seen the light of day either.

On the up side, I just finished this gorgeousness: and loved every second of its beautiful destruction
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2009, 11:20 AM by Kevin Birtcher »
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #663 on: Aug 02, 2009, 11:19 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_(comics)

About a group of operatives under CIA that deals with Superheroes and their industry. Who are largely corrupt and degenerate, so far I can only find one.. maybe two 'good' ones, one retired and the other is slowly breaking.
it's a depressing series. Pretty good still. ;__;

« Reply #664 on: Aug 02, 2009, 01:29 PM »

xD :] :I ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #665 on: Aug 02, 2009, 01:51 PM »

Just read this for the first time a few days ago. Immediately purchased Vol. 2 and 3.
"You will never change the world by trying to be like it."

« Reply #666 on: Aug 02, 2009, 08:43 PM »

this book doesn't stop being good

hooked  it's funny  to end up on superhero titles so much but this one is  too sick
the story of the last  super hero's left on the planet

Awesome....like  if harry potter  was....actually awesome

« Reply #667 on: Aug 03, 2009, 12:57 AM »

I flipped through that at my comic shop yesterday - god.awful.dreck
(I was picking up DC's skanky SECRET SIX, which is far superior to anything Ultimate)

« Reply #668 on: Aug 03, 2009, 01:39 AM »
Ultimate Spiderman is REALLY good and fun.  I will miss the hell out of Immonen. :'(

I still haven't picked up the latest Invincible!!!!  But I already know what happens pretty much.  God, I love that book so much too.

« Reply #669 on: Aug 03, 2009, 05:10 AM »

hooked  it's funny  to end up on superhero titles so much but this one is  too sick
the story of the last  super hero's left on the planet
Hopefully you've checked out Fear Agent, one of Remender's other books.

DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #670 on: Aug 03, 2009, 01:19 PM »

I flipped through that at my comic shop yesterday - god.awful.dreck
(I was picking up DC's skanky SECRET SIX, which is far superior to anything Ultimate)
Haha when someone says something is just that terrible, I can't help but want to see how terrible it is for myself.  Really, truly terrible indeed.  Why did anyone think they could get away with that?  Eh anyways.  I really liked Invincible but I lost track along the way.  I know what's vaguely happening in the series so I should buy the paperbacks or something and catch up.

« Reply #671 on: Aug 03, 2009, 02:04 PM »
Hopefully you've checked out Fear Agent, one of Remender's other books.

Going to  very soon
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2009, 03:41 PM by Kevin Birtcher »

« Reply #672 on: Aug 03, 2009, 09:15 PM »
to be honest, tony moore's cool as hell but i can't really get into remender. i mean i have bits & pieces of fear agent but they were mostly the tony moore arcs. and i bought a couple of end leagues once canete took over on that, but even then i couldn't get into it.

i think my biggest problem with books like end league & invincible & even wanted to an extent, is that they're all big ideas that these writers had if they were allowed to mess with the big two's toys. but they aren't so instead, they fill up the background with a whole bunch of lame ass analogues with a wink & a nudge. it bugs me they don't go about trying to be more original when constructing their own world rather than rip off the ground work from others. invincible way more so than end league, but yeah. I mean come on... Red Rush? Martian Man?

not that it ever ventures too far from the top of my piles o' comics, & it's probably been mentioned before in here, probably even by me but what the hell....

it really is just rad.

« Reply #673 on: Aug 03, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Shaolin Cowboy rocks socks.  I really want a collection of that.

The problem with Wanted, is it SUCKED.  Watch the movie, don't bother with the comic.  I never got into Invincible, I read
the first trade just to get Dan to shut up about it and it really wasn't that good.

I've only read the first issue of End League, I could honestly see it going either way, but I'm intrigued enough to keep with it.

With Fear Agent though, I was hooked from issue 1 and couldn't put it down.  I'm currently waiting on the third trade to come in the mail.

« Reply #674 on: Aug 03, 2009, 10:31 PM »
Invincible gets amazing dudes.  The Analogues in invincible are nothing but jokes really, the book is way more than that.  Even if Omni-man is a Superman rip, Kirkman takes that shit in a whole nother direction. 

Wanted was pretty but that story did suck.  It was obviously written for that minority of white guys with office jobs that hate their black bosses and slutty girlfriends.

Shaollin Cowboy is fun, wish it would make sense sometime and come out regularly but whatever.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

491 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us