So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #550 on: Feb 09, 2009, 02:47 PM »
so to continue to rave about comics I have already raved about........

Elephantmen

this is an awesome awesome comic with great art and a developing storyline that is turning into somthing that is fun and a damn good read all spun off from the series HipFlask

written by Richard Starkings with art by Moritat and a number of other artists that you have never ever heard of.....like this guy doing the colours
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2009, 02:54 PM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #551 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:37 AM »
that's awesome, gabe. not that you'll see me saying so anytime soon, but still. awesome!

i went on a buying spree. and i'm pouring through & reading slowly. highlights thus far (pulling images from all over the place so i hope they show):

Mesmo Delivery
i was killing myself trying to get a copy of it since it came out. luckily ivan brandon had put some out & i was able to pick one up. goddamn! it's good. the way the guy incorporates design into the story telling; it's nuts!

Crogan's Vengeance
not the kinda thing i'd generally be into but i really enjoyed this. the guy does a lot of research & uses a crazy family tree to set up awesome potential for further stories with all sorts of characters.

Jersey Gods
kirby new gods style heroes & villains land in jersey. duke it out in the cherry hill mall. drawn by dan mcdaid who as an artist is quick & awesome, & beyond that, a really cool guy. there were some samples of it in popgun vol 2

and of course

Sushi Nachos!
andre's story of an aspiring sushi chef working as a delivery boy & surviving alien attacks; with the awesome cityscapes & paints you'd expect

oh & the new scott pilgrim. the shiny one.

oh & a shitton of art & sketchbooks. cameron stewart, jim mahfood, takehiko inoue, & even a book full of storyboards, & animation keyframes from the first episodes of Gurren Lagann. i'd highly recommend that, only it's not a comic. so not in this thread. even though i just did.

and WHAT THE FUCK? 'oooh alan moore this... watchmen that' where's the love for dave gibbons? he's the one that made that shit work. AND he co-created Rogue Trooper!

the man deserves at least some mention! s'all i'm sayin'
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2009, 07:48 AM by Kuro »

« Reply #552 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:19 AM »
Rogue Trooper dickstomped Watchmen anyway, as did almost every 2000AD comic.

Stupid fucking Nemesis....stupid fucking Bisley era ABC Warriors....
Be nice Jack.

« Reply #553 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:21 AM »

« Reply #554 on: Feb 10, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Aw man thanks for the plug Jared!!

I am also enjoying Elephantmen. Good stuff. hehe
Looking forward to the Marian Churchland issues.

« Reply #555 on: Feb 11, 2009, 09:16 PM »
CARL THE CAT THAT MAKES PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICHES BY JIM MAHFOOD

oh my god.

NSFW previews:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NElExf4MO20/SWKTwTpMNUI/AAAAAAAAByk/TLVe4DCV4qs/s1600-h/1.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NElExf4MO20/SWKTv2Y6izI/AAAAAAAAByc/6f4sp5fr_ag/s1600-h/2.jpg

it's just sex and violence for the sake of sex and violence.
I got him to sign it for me too <3

« Reply #556 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:41 AM »

Greatest hits

Dmz random Fire

« Reply #557 on: Feb 19, 2009, 08:51 PM »

etc.

« Reply #558 on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:58 PM »
I read Runaways collected edition 1-7 ...

Wasn't too impressed. Cover art by Jo Chen is lovely though  :)
No pain no gain

« Reply #559 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:21 AM »
I had a very Vertigo week.  Was sick for much of it and did a lot of laying around reading comics.  Read four volumes worth of Ex Machina (taking some unexpected turns there, but still definitely a good book), volume 2 of Y the Last Man (I have no idea where this story is going, and that's a good thing), and the latest DMZ (whenever I get a new volume, it immediately goes to the front of my read pile).
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #560 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:23 PM »
Just finished the compiled All Stars Batman and Robin by Frank Miller and Jim Lee, the one that spawned "I'm the Goddamn Batman."

It's definitely a trip to read, and not the Batman people are used to, but I'm not going to say it's bad just because of that. I found it pretty enjoyable, worth reading for sure.

« Reply #561 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Pi, I read a bit of All-Star B&R and it got me thinking about Miller's relationship with Batman... His Dark Knight Returns and Year One books were both instrumental in the movement towards a realistic, gritty Batman... which is now the one most clearly in popular consciousness, with these new Nolan movies. But now, with Dark Knight Strikes Again and All-Star, it seems like he's trying to go back in a campy direction, which is as big a part of the character's history as the gritty stuff. Maybe Frank Miller is the forecaster of pop culture's interpretation of Batman? Anyway I didn't read too much of All-Star because Jim Lee annoys me.

OOPS this is NOT the place to talk about this. Here's some good comics I've read recently:

Skyscrapers of the Midwest, by Joshua Cotter.

Very strange and very beautiful book, about kids growing up in the midwest. There's some visual symbolism here of the sort I've hardly ever seen in comics. Art is densely-hatched, almost Crumbish.

Any of you guys know Cerebus?

A self-published monthly by a usually two-person team that ran 300 issues, forming a single 6,000-page biography of the aardvark Cerebus in the world Estarcion. I'm on the third (of 12?) collected book; it's getting more and more heavily involved in political drama. I recommend giving the series a try, but be aware the first book is not nearly as good as the later ones...

« Reply #562 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:53 PM »
Dammit, Evan, I hear from you so rarely I'll talk to you about anything ANYWHERE.

« Reply #563 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Cerebus is one of my all time favorites and biggest influences, it's a wonderful series. Sadly it really loses steam during Mothers and Daughters and I kind of started losing interest from Guys onward. I still do love Mothers and Daughters though, that whole saga is pretty great as is Church and State. The last few volumes are kind of meh but that's because you're just watching Cerebus wither away.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2009, 11:01 PM by angieness »
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #564 on: Mar 08, 2009, 12:36 PM »

Team Medical Dragon.

Since they haven't made a manga about House yet, this comes damn close ! TMD explores the ills of the medical institution and PUNCHES IT IN THE HEART !

and stitches it back up.

« Reply #565 on: Mar 08, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Yes I enjoy that manga as well. Another good medical manga is Saijou no Meii, which is about a pediatric surgeon.  But again, it's good with the medical details and they're pretty spot on (I help a group proofread it).  But there aren't too many chapters online yet.  Also, if anyone cares, it's made by the same team who made Yakitate!! Japan, although don't expect the same...

« Reply #566 on: Mar 21, 2009, 06:35 PM »

The movie was good, too.

« Reply #567 on: Mar 22, 2009, 10:48 AM »
I sent for a comic by the wonderful Ben Sea (http://plumpoyster.com/) a while ago and just recently got it. It is fantastic!

« Reply #568 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:10 PM »
Mr. Robot~ though I hav'nt had the where with all to get ahold of and read Much Cerrubus; I do own a signed by Dave Sims Cerebus Complete Buisiness Biography. T's like 150 fifty or more pages of magnifying glass small print hell on how to make it in self publishing ( or how he made it anyways). He wrote and distributed it himself.

As for what I've been reading lately well this is top Acorn! And though his name sounds like a excruciatingly lengthy childbirthing; its is everything I like in a good comic. It even has an effortlessness to it that I am going to strive to emulate in my own work. Very relaxing and entertaining to read. It even welled me up Emotionally, twice. I left the creator a comment: he should wrap it up right there at pg141 and sell it as a Graphic Novel. I'd be honored to own one.

ShiLongPang
If I keep a green bough in my heart,
the singing bird will come.
               ~Chinese Proverb

« Reply #569 on: Mar 27, 2009, 10:14 AM »
I just borrowed blankets from someone, but I haven't started reading it yet.

« Reply #570 on: Mar 27, 2009, 10:24 AM »

Bad Dog - It's about a werewolf bounty hunter. Funny stuff

Kick-Ass - about a kid who decides to be a superhero, and gets his ass handed to him time and time again.

Umbrella Academy: Dallas - The first run told the story of superhero kids who were given up for adoption, and taken in and raised to be nothing but the best. The Dallas run just continues the story.

« Reply #571 on: Mar 27, 2009, 05:30 PM »

Bad Dog - It's about a werewolf bounty hunter. Funny stuff

if it's about a werewolf, why'd they draw a bear?

« Reply #572 on: Mar 27, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Been rereading them since Viz started releasing them

if you haven't read either I highly recommend both.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #573 on: Mar 28, 2009, 12:27 AM »
Marvel Boy, by Grant Morrison and JG Jones (that should be good enough, really)

Marvel Boy is about Noh Varr, a Kree soldier from an alternate dimension who finds himself on/let loose upon Earth in the Marvel Universe. Basically a story about a hilariously snotty teenager rampaging against rampantly ridiculously Grant Morrison threats, its a good read and good fun.
PS He carves "FUCK YOU" into Manhattan in block-high letters with a giant laser.
The cosmic jihad begins now.

« Reply #574 on: Mar 30, 2009, 08:46 PM »
succeeded in my second attempt to make it through the achewood archives haha.  my favorite arcs the are the dark ones like cartilage head and the transfer station, onstad does that shit so well

also I'm trying to get all of the dark horse dub of akira, only have the second one so far.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

546 Guests, 2 Users

Most Online Today: 550.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us