So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #425 on: Jun 30, 2008, 09:46 PM »

HOLY SHIT. I hadn't read Walking Dead in a while, so these two volumes blew me away. SHIT IS HARDCORE.

« Reply #426 on: Jul 01, 2008, 03:21 AM »
pi and others who've read it: I read the first two volumes of Walking Dead, and while I liked it okay, it didn't really grab me enough that I wanted to spend the money for 5 or 6 or whatever it is now more books.  Does it get better, or is it not for me if I didn't love the first two??

Also:

Matt Kindt's Superspy is great.  It's thick, relatively cheap and really entertaining.  This book has won a ton of awards, been on "Best of" lists for 2007, etc. so lots of people think its really awesome and you guys probably will too.

« Reply #427 on: Jul 01, 2008, 12:11 PM »
I just finished the fourth Scott Pilgrim too. I loved the color chapter in the beginning, it was a nice change.

Also Screamland.

It's about the classic horror monsters just trying their hardest to make a living in showbusiness. It's awesome.

« Reply #428 on: Jul 01, 2008, 08:19 PM »
my WW trophy comic:

and then a couple neat things for way cheap:

yea I was big on mignola ; ;

and issues 0, 2, and 3 of the Lobo series

and how could I forget this!
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2008, 09:23 PM by fence »

« Reply #429 on: Jul 03, 2008, 06:59 PM »
The new Hulk book really sucks, like Incredibly Sucks.  I don't know what happened to Jeph Loeb, I used to like his stuff.

At Wizard I was in an argument with a guy and said "The best car chase in comics happened in Power" BUT I WAS WRONG, because the best car chase in comics ever took place in the Amazing Joy Buzzards vol 2.  Fantastic series, I write about it when I'm done.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #430 on: Jul 04, 2008, 06:47 AM »
Amazing Joy Buzzards vol 2. 

AH MAN! i've been looking at that, but amazons been confuseing me with it. there seems to be 2 vol 1's. which one should i get?
Amazing Joy Buzzards: Here Comic the Spiders v. 1 or The Amazing Joy Buzzards Volume 1: v. 1?

Also to make this relevent. I read

Pretty funky, although i didn't really like it when it went into the past as the art looked so much better when it was in the present time with it's pure black inking <3

« Reply #431 on: Jul 04, 2008, 08:11 AM »
Powerz: Get Here Come the Spiders....it's both vol. 1 and vol. 2 plus some redone pages, extra material, etc.  It only came out recently, and it's a great package.

« Reply #432 on: Jul 05, 2008, 04:05 AM »
Sin City. I just don't know why I haven't read this before.

Kevin Birtcher - thanks for reminding me about Garfield minus Garfield. I had already forgotten it exists. It's so much better than the original Garfield.

« Reply #433 on: Jul 17, 2008, 03:30 PM »

« Reply #434 on: Jul 17, 2008, 03:55 PM »
That may be the best thing ever o-o

http://www.nextmanga.com/

« Reply #435 on: Jul 17, 2008, 07:55 PM »
I don't know if I'm ready for that
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #436 on: Jul 21, 2008, 08:18 PM »

right on. you should have said something though. a place near me's selling it for $30. + shipping? haha nah it's real good though. i don't know why but i really really like phil bond's stuff

-J

They are reprinting this book in October.  It'll only be 6 bucks then.

« Reply #437 on: Jul 27, 2008, 10:55 PM »
Powerup Comics is amazing for making you feel really good about the comics you make.
Wait -- this comic isn't serious, guys. It's a parody of webcomics that's intentionally horrible.

I hope I'm just stating the obvious, haha.

Picked up the 3rd and 4th of these omnibuses. Pretty great comic if you're in the mood for showy Hollywood storylines. Gun fights, car chases, naked women, drug dealing; awesome!
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2008, 11:03 PM by sixtem »

« Reply #438 on: Jul 27, 2008, 11:09 PM »

Enough said.

« Reply #439 on: Jul 29, 2008, 01:22 PM »

I got the complete issue in paperback cover. Heavy book.

I'm intrigue by the peaceful nature of the story in this manga.

Mouse Guard-another comic I feel like I was the last person to get. Very lovely
Oooh... going to look for that at my local comicstore.

« Reply #440 on: Aug 05, 2008, 12:52 PM »

its scary how good katsuhiro otomo is. i just read his book Domu and gave it an A+.

« Reply #441 on: Aug 14, 2008, 08:57 PM »

I LOVE THIS CHARACTER!!

« Reply #442 on: Aug 15, 2008, 09:31 AM »
The New House of Mystery put out by DC so far looks very promising the first four issues were very well done and it appears to be building into somthing nice.

You can download a sneak peak of the preview issue here
http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=9388

The House of Mystery should be a well known plot device/locale to fans of Vertigo's Sandman or to DC fans in general.
In this series, the House serves as a gathering place for a range of characters to gather as a impromptu tavern to drink and eat in exchange for the telling of tales that are displayed as the main story of each issue.
In addition to the ever changing roster of patrons, there is a cast of characters that are seemingly unable to leave the house. Their purgatory and the developing side story of these characters serving as a thread from each issue.

Now don't get me wrong the old series was somthing for it's time and could be viewed as somthing altogether different and campy now, I  mean you can't beat a cover like this;

but this new series is showing the earmarks of somthing stronger in a literary sense as well as the dark or macabre short tales that the original series was known for.

Definitely worth a look if only for Issue #1 with the story by Bill Willingham and art by Ross Campbell

whom all you deviantfarters may be familiar with as http://mooncalfe.deviantart.com/
and webmonkies will know as http://www.greenoblivion.com/

and if you don't know who Bill Willingham is then stop pretending you know anything about  north american comics...you commie bastard!!
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2008, 09:34 AM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #443 on: Aug 16, 2008, 01:01 PM »
Reggie I am reading Akira now too!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

« Reply #444 on: Aug 16, 2008, 04:20 PM »

I love this comic to bits. xD

« Reply #445 on: Aug 17, 2008, 04:41 AM »
I just finished

which was absolutely fantastic, and the movie's coming out here soon, so the timing couldn't be better.

« Reply #446 on: Aug 19, 2008, 01:55 AM »
Took me about six months, but I finally found a shop that was able to order me Wonton Soup. And it was worth the wait. I just loved it.
(in case you didn't know what I'm talking about ::))

After that I read Waldo's Hawaiian Holiday. It wasn't as good as it could have been (altough it was better than I expected it to be), but I liked it a lot. You can read the first chapter online: http://www.waldoshawaiianholiday.com/

They opened a new comic book store in Helsinki a while ago. I went there the other day and asked the salesman if he could recommend me anything "slightly weird". I ended up buying Mat Brinkman's Teratoid Heights. I was told it's like "watching a mute nature program from another planet" and I think that describes it pretty well. If you're into that kind of stuff, maybe check it out.
Here's a couple of pics somebody has of it: http://bookofdays-shop.com/?pid=2499519

« Reply #447 on: Aug 19, 2008, 10:45 AM »
I'd had to get my Wonton Soup through Amazon, the places I went to weren't able to order it not even huge places like B&N and Walden nor the comic stores around here.

Anyways, been doing manga as usual

Nana-another great series by Ai Yazawa, I don't read a lot of shoujo but I've always loved her stuff.

And on the opposite side of the spectrum

Gantz-it's so ridiculous and doesn't have the most complex plot but I got drawn into it

Berserk-I read like the first 30 volumes in a week quite a while ago and have been rereading it as Darkhorse releases each volume. Beautiful art and an awesome story.
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #448 on: Aug 19, 2008, 11:20 AM »

addictive and well written.

« Reply #449 on: Aug 19, 2008, 02:27 PM »

"No. 5" Volume 2 by Taiyo Matsumoto. I'm dissapointed this is the only translated volume, because I thought it was pretty interesting and I liked his art like always. I wish more of his stuff would be translated :(

"Batman: Year 100" by Paul Pope. I really like the art and the way he makes Gotham look and feel in it. I also like the little gadgets Batman uses like the teeth to scare people :P

I've been getting into Akira lately, I love Katsuhiro Otomo's work, he's a master storyteller and really an inspirational fellow.

Also, "Blue Spring" another manga by Taiyo Matsumoto. Not too far into it with all the comics I have, but the art isn't as good as No. 5 or Tekkon Kinkreets in my opinion. But anything by Matsumoto just totally owns.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2008, 02:29 PM by ronin-soul »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

254 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 257.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us