So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #400 on: Apr 28, 2008, 08:41 AM »
That guy looks like Weedmaster P!

« Reply #401 on: Apr 28, 2008, 10:13 AM »
hahaha i never made the connection. his eyes aren't constantly red spirals though, just that panel. and not cool enough to ever try & be batman

-J

« Reply #402 on: May 03, 2008, 10:24 PM »
The Immortal Iron Fist, by Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker, art by David Aja
Okay, Iron Fist was a little hokey, back in the day-

But Brubaker, Fraction and Aja have made him interesting again. Still a little hokey, sure, but super fun and action packed. Marvel's so gay for ninjas and aliens (and ninja aliens), when was the last time they had some kick ass kung fu shit going on? Master of Kung-Fu?

In this new book, Danny Rand, the Immortal Iron Fist deals with enemies back from the grave, a tough-nuts mentor, crane demons, robots, and more than anything else, the legacy of Iron Fist. The writing is great, the art is awesome, and it's a far cry from a typical superhero book.

« Reply #403 on: May 20, 2008, 07:08 PM »
DAR: super girly Top Secret comic diary.

« Reply #404 on: May 20, 2008, 07:15 PM »
I laughed so hard Kozi, that is totally something I'd do.
...beats me, man. Beats me why most dudes suck, sure as hell ain't my scene.

« Reply #405 on: May 20, 2008, 07:37 PM »
haha that's awesome kozi
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #406 on: May 21, 2008, 09:55 AM »
hahah, thats hilarious!

Currently reading Appleseed, Maus, Tank Girl and Bowling King!

Appleseed blew me away, Shirow is amazing.

« Reply #407 on: May 25, 2008, 04:38 PM »
Jegal Fist

http://park1988.deviantart.com/gallery/v1/

It's in Korean. But even if you don't know Korean, it's amazing.

Very good fight scenes.

The link on the strips says "media.daum.net", but that is a huge media site. If you know Korean you may be able to find it on there.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 04:51 PM by ZacharyB »

« Reply #408 on: May 26, 2008, 04:40 AM »
I just finished reading Transmetropolitans. I feel a bit empty, to be honest, since Transmetropolitan was probably the best comic I've ever read.

I also finished "Alinka" by Ville Pynnönen. It's in finnish, and I have no idea if it's been translated in any other language. It was pretty interesting to read, not because of the story (which wasn't bad either) but because it was drawn so nicely and was very different from the stuff I usually read. I found a pic of it... http://www.kvaak.fi/images/articles/15092004220631-2.jpg

I also tried to read Tank Girl, but our library has only two books of it. They lost the rest of them (I think someone stole them, stealing library books seems to be the easiest way of getting comics in reasonable prices in this country, the country of people who know no other comics than Mickey Mouse and Ranma½).

Oh, and "Honour Among Punks : The Complete Baker Street Graphic Novel", by Guy Davies and Gary Reed. I read it last autumn, but had to read it again.

« Reply #409 on: Jun 02, 2008, 09:16 AM »
I've been reading Gold Digger, Rice Boy [until just recently, of course ):], SPQR Blues, Scott Pilgrim, Wonton Soup, Sharknife, King of Thorn, King City, and Zombie Powder.
« Last Edit: Jun 02, 2008, 09:25 AM by love tank »

« Reply #410 on: Jun 03, 2008, 04:52 PM »
Powerup Comics is amazing for making you feel really good about the comics you make.

« Reply #411 on: Jun 03, 2008, 05:50 PM »
I just browsed it a bit wondering what you meant, and I have reached a conclusion.

It certainly does.

« Reply #412 on: Jun 03, 2008, 05:57 PM »
I needed that self esteem booster today. That comic makes me feel like I can take on the world
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #413 on: Jun 03, 2008, 07:14 PM »
man those go so far past awful they move straight into unintentionally being fucking great.

« Reply #414 on: Jun 03, 2008, 08:39 PM »
vasilis lolos's last call

to me it kinda reads like a miyazaki story but with a healthy dose of metal. short read but i'd recommend it

-J

« Reply #415 on: Jun 03, 2008, 09:38 PM »
vasilis lolos's last call

to me it kinda reads like a miyazaki story but with a healthy dose of metal. short read but i'd recommend it

-J

Hell yes!

This book is awesome, and I cannot wait for the next installment
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #416 on: Jun 22, 2008, 01:27 PM »

Mon Fiston by Olivier Schrauwen

While only in french from what I can find, Mon Fiston is still worth a look at with an understandable visual narrative if you cannot read the french (it is not that wordy anyhow). With that, the vintage style, reminiscent of Windsor McKay and other such turn-of-the-century comics, alongside a sort of pushed sense of morbid absurdity and surrealism, it's a fucking hoot! I can read a little french but I still ended up laughing my goddamn head off, its just a sort of removed story with the retro style, but good lord if it can convey beating women with brooms in visual manner that made me laugh so hard out loud, I'm won over hahaha.

Though a short read, excellent illustrations with an obvious care and attention in developing and researching the style to work with the story!

Nage Libre by Sébastien Chrisostome

I can't lie, I picked this up because the cover made me laugh. This is the second comic I've come across about salmons. There you have it, its the adventure of three little salmon (I might be wrong haha), and the loose cartoony-brush work style works fantastic! Again, in French, but still can easily be followed with a little understanding of the language and the good sequential work. Cute and funny read (definitely added with how the bloody fish are drawn).

& of course, when in Belgium/Holland:

Lucky Luke! by Morris (and later Goscinny, etc)

I love westerns so this is no surprise.

Lucky Luke, the cowboy known to shoot faster than his shadow.
I hadn't REALLY realized how few were in English, and how many more there were in French, Dutch etc!! Morris and Goscinny are my favourite writers and team for Lucky Luke. I can never get over Morris' art style, especially his characters! I, again, "visually" read the non-English comics I could find, but I highly encourage finding any of the English translations!!
I grew up on European comics like this and they are still a bad ass read. While kid friendly for the most part, still good story-telling, and good marksmanship.

And of course I'm all over that keen motherfucker, Tintin. Herge is a master.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2008, 02:15 PM by Chair »
...beats me, man. Beats me why most dudes suck, sure as hell ain't my scene.

« Reply #417 on: Jun 27, 2008, 05:45 PM »
the Nage Libre cover is so cute. I must have it XD

Fleep by Jason Shiga

http://www.shigabooks.com/indeces/strips.html
From the website:
"Fleep made its debut in the weekly newspaper, "Asian Week" in Feburary of 2001. It's about a boy who wakes up in a telephone booth which has been mysteriously selaed in an envelope of concrete. Using only the contents of his pockets (two pens, a paperback novel, three coins and 20 ft of unwaxed dental floss) our hero must fashion and execute an escape plan before he runs out of oxygen."
Short and totally satisfying, I thought. You can read the whole thing on the website.
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2008, 05:48 PM by squidman »

« Reply #418 on: Jun 27, 2008, 05:50 PM »

:O

xD :] :I ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #419 on: Jun 27, 2008, 06:08 PM »

I had heard good things about this so i thought i'll buy it...however it's like $100(£50) everywhere i look so i just stoped looking.
then today i saw a download link for it so i decided to do that.....BUT THATS MADE IT WORSE! I REALLY want to buy this book now.
AWESOME BRIT COMIC! It's "made me see the world in a new light." i'm ganan be stalking ebay for this book now.

« Reply #420 on: Jun 27, 2008, 07:07 PM »

right on. you should have said something though. a place near me's selling it for $30. + shipping? haha nah it's real good though. i don't know why but i really really like phil bond's stuff

-J

« Reply #421 on: Jun 28, 2008, 06:25 AM »
I just read in this weeks 2000AD about this.

Excited is me, i cannot wait until Megazine 275 is out.

Rest assured, as soon as it is available i will be reading the shit out of it.

« Reply #422 on: Jun 28, 2008, 07:25 AM »

Alack Sinner

I've been meaning to endorse this book for a while now, but I've never gotten around to it. I saw the Best of Angouleme sticker on this huge French edition, picked it up, and was instantly in love with the art.

It's basically a set of short stories by Jose Munoz (art) and Carlos Sampayo (words) about a hard boiled New York detective named Alack Sinner.  The stories are entertaining, but the art is truly mind blowing.  It's especially interesting to see how Munoz starts off drawing fairly realistically, but slowly becomes more abstract and noir, soon creating a unique art style that will blow you away.

It's not too hard to find some of this stuff in English, so go buy it!!

« Reply #423 on: Jun 30, 2008, 07:29 PM »
http://garfieldminusgarfield.net
Did someone else post this recently?  I thought there was another Garfield strip thing...

I'm reading a bunch of actual comics too, which I'll have to find time to talk about sometime
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #424 on: Jun 30, 2008, 08:07 PM »
Did some shopping at WW

1-4 of Scott Pilgrim, I'm like the last person ever to read SP but I'm really glad I picked it up

Mouse Guard-another comic I feel like I was the last person to get. Very lovely

FINALLY got to finish off my Maxx collection, picked up volumes 3-6 of the trade paperbacks at WW and it was like reliving my childhood. If you haven't read The Maxx, shame on you.

And the rest of my WW money went towards supporting the Void artists, picked up Running on Empty, Tout le Monde, Pulpo 1, Ponbiki's $5 book, Monday's book, and Elio's precious adorable Animal Book.
Kittens wearins mittens

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

523 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 643.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us