So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #250 on: Sep 11, 2007, 04:08 PM »
hah. i had a copy of parasite in a mixxzine (back before tokyopop was tokyopop & they only put out one anthology. least i think that was the progression.) back in the day with harlem beat! old school. i like dmz too but the art's a little hit or miss for me. brian wood's pretty cool though.

as for recommendations, sorry if these were already somewhere mentioned, but two of my favorites from europe:

Valérian: Agent Spatio-Temporel

french space opera. mezieres's art is loose, a bit cartoony, & fantastic. the story follows a space-time cop & his spunky chick sidekick from the middle ages. after working on this series for so many years, they put mezieres to work on the fifth element, & if you ask me, a large portion of what you see in that movie can all be traced back to valerian. especially the flying taxis. apparently there's going to be a french/japanese anime coming out based on it... i dunno. stick to the source material if you ask me.

Les Aventures de Tintin

duh. globetrotting belgian reporter by herge. sure, it's kid's stuff, but the art & storytelling is very well done, especially in later ones (there were a couple that herge's studio later redid, i really dig the art in those). two personal favorites are 'the black isle' & 'tintin in tibet'. plus, there's a documentary out that chronicles herge's life vs. the progression of the tintin series that's pretty damn interesting. think it's called 'tintin et moi'

also at the baltimore con over the weekend, i picked up GL: willworld & the essential luke cage volume one. luke cage is... well... it's 70's marvel. it's campy, it's ridiculous, it's outlandish, it's so wrong, it's awesome. and willworld is seth fisher. i only didn't have it up until now because i live out in the boondocks. also, i've been pouring over old concert & exploitation movie poster artbooks for the past few months, working some projects involving those kinds of art elements. but i guess that's offtopic as they're not comics.

-J
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2007, 04:50 PM by Kuro »

« Reply #251 on: Sep 11, 2007, 11:22 PM »
No way dude, Cigars of the Pharoah and Secret of the Unicorn are unbeatable!

« Reply #252 on: Sep 12, 2007, 06:02 AM »
No way dude, Cigars of the Pharoah and Secret of the Unicorn are unbeatable!

the majority are good, the other two are just my personal favorites, is all.

-J

« Reply #253 on: Sep 14, 2007, 11:14 PM »
But do they have Tintin get drugged, hallucinate hieroglyphics coming to life as the Thompson Twins smoking cigars and then wake up in a coffin floating in the ocean?
Tintin knows how to fucking party.

« Reply #254 on: Sep 14, 2007, 11:27 PM »
actually i'd much rather get drunk with haddock than high with tintin
every tintin trip seems like a bad time. that's not fun. at least haddock seems like he'd have some killer stories.

-J

« Reply #255 on: Sep 19, 2007, 05:42 AM »
i read comics by Lewis Trondheim right now.

donjon -84

and donjon 103

i'm not sure what this comic is called in english, but it is very philosophic

A.L.I.E.E.N. a wordless comic about weird stuff that happen to some alien kids

very nice to read those.
the style is simple for the most parts (what makes them lovely) and the stories are very good and kinda funny.
if you people get the chance, you should check out one of Trondheim's works.

« Reply #256 on: Sep 19, 2007, 07:36 AM »
I'm rereading blacksad, it's most excellent

THAT ALIEEN ONE IS ADORABLE DAMNIT
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #257 on: Sep 19, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Weasel by Dave Cooper

The comic is based on John a discontented illustrator who becomes obsessive over an unusual model.

Theres more to it than that, but my brain isn't functioning correctly. READ IT!!
Gotta update my site!! for now ---> http://shortfury.deviantart.com

« Reply #258 on: Sep 20, 2007, 11:25 AM »
I haven't been much for the new brand of comics the industry has been pumping out. I pick up mostly anything Chris Bachalo, and I'm waiting for Joe Mad's Ultimate. My manga fetish is dying so I'll probably get back into purchasing paperbacks (like everybody else). I'm really just re-reading a lot of my old books (X-men, Spiderman, etc). They get even better the next time you read them.

« Reply #259 on: Sep 20, 2007, 02:20 PM »

theres like 10 jokes on ever page... in the diolouge, backgrounds, etc...
it tops escalator.

« Reply #261 on: Sep 21, 2007, 11:10 PM »
WE3, by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, published by Vertigo

Three animals, a dog, a cat and a rabbit, are transformed into the fighting force of the future, heavily armed and armored death machines. "Har har," I hear you say. "That describes damn near every science fiction b-movie that came out in the '90s". And I suppose it does, but We3, telling the story of the dath machines in question, is a lot more than that. Similar in spirit to "The Plague Dogs" (the saddest damn book ever) or "Homeward Bound" on acid, it's a wonderfully written and drawn book.
The art is something else, (I really like Frank Quitely) with really interesting paneling and layouts as well, so it's worth a look just for that.

« Reply #262 on: Sep 22, 2007, 08:38 PM »
I read WE3! The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a standalone! I wanted to see moremoremore.

<3

-Jesse

« Reply #263 on: Sep 22, 2007, 09:23 PM »
We3 was amazing and a half.

I've been all over work by these guys lately

NAOKI URASAWA

Monster, up to volume 11 is available in America

20th Century Boys, not available in America yet but it has been liscensed for release by Viz. Scanlations can be found online, it's well worth hunting down.

OSAMU TEZUKA
-don't let Osamu Tezuka's cartoony artwork fool you, his work is very solid and he was a master storyteller. If you're an anime/manga fan and don't appreciate this man you fail at life. His stuff is a lot more complex than Astro Boy, which is what he's known for.

Apollo's Song, available in America

Phoenix, Tezuka's life's work, available in America

Buddha, available in America

Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #264 on: Sep 25, 2007, 08:33 AM »
Don't forget Dororo, don't forget Dororo!
By air

« Reply #265 on: Sep 26, 2007, 08:14 AM »
So I checked out the first 9 issues of Cassanova...cuz Kevin and Jed told me too and so far he is batting an 89% average on comic suggestions and Jed is awfully pretty for a man.

I gotta say that I really liked this comic......all of the first seven issues were fantastic fun.....great writing.....great plot and subject....and great art...... and then they went and changed the artist on me....I hate that...Gabriel Ba's style was an excellent compliment to Matt Fraciton's writing and to the subject matter and of course I had gotten just enough to grow accoustomed,comfortable and hungry for more and then out comes the rug from under me.

now this isn't to say that Fabio Moon's art isn't any good, quite the contrary...he is quite good. But even after the hump of new visuals there is a problem with how it fails to compliment the subject matter as well as Ba's work did......the writing already has a wacky and less than real quality about it(which is part of the fun and a major strength) and Ba's work was able to straddle the line between serious and surreal whereas Moon's work is a little too etheral and doesn't give the writing the same punch. But again Moon's work is quality, just not a style that I find compliments what Fraction appears to be doing and where he looks to be going....and just not not as good as where he started.

I couldn't find anything on the weeb with full examples of the work Moon has done on Casanova(just the single panel above), so go and look for yourselves.

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007, 04:00 PM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #266 on: Sep 26, 2007, 08:32 AM »
Btw, did you know they are brothers? (even twins, if I recall correctly. but I might be confusing them with Shintsu and Kumaru :P)

I like them both, but Ba is awesomeR
By air

« Reply #267 on: Sep 26, 2007, 07:58 PM »
http://www.nofna.com/

Totally one of my favorite web comics, the story and idea behind it is great and the guy doing it is. Pretty. Interesting.

« Reply #268 on: Sep 27, 2007, 09:34 AM »
I've just finished Transmetropolitan. Enjoyed it greatly, and expanded my swearing vocabulary whilst turning me into an investigative reporter for a few weeks.

Someone told me there's an Issue Zero too though, which I can't find.
LJ: http://sci.livejournal.com/
Homepage (outlinks to everything else): http://www.sci-fi-fox.com/

« Reply #269 on: Sep 27, 2007, 02:31 PM »
Nodame Cantabile

Now I'm not much of a shoujo manga type fan, but holy fuck is this one of my fave mangas right now. The story is adorable,funny, and wonderfully done. And the main female character isn't annoying (well to me anyways)
Good manga please check it out. ;3

So yeah the only thing I'm reading so far. :<

Also might check out blacksand. Looks pretty interesting.
"I'm giving you a head start, you're going to need it. Cause I fight like a girl."

« Reply #270 on: Sep 28, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Thorn

http://www.mimisgrotto.com/thorn/

Real nice web comic.

« Reply #271 on: Oct 06, 2007, 11:58 PM »
i was drawing a huge perspective shot of a city & you know what helped out a lot? this:

big guy & rusty the boy robot by frank miller & geoff darrow

(and also domu, but i suggested that already)

-J

« Reply #272 on: Oct 07, 2007, 11:49 AM »

and

Such good and entertaining reads.

I loved DK so much, i'm not a huge Bats fan but this helped make me more of one.

Also, Abe Sapien is the bizzomb.

« Reply #273 on: Oct 07, 2007, 01:24 PM »

jimbo issue 1 by gary panter. unfortunately, this issue has pretty crude artwork which
looks nothing much like the cover... ive seen scans on gary panters site and its in issue
2 where he let out the magic. still cool, though.

and i bought this other 4 page comic for 75 cents called DRONE NOME. (mostly because of the title)
its so mysterious and the artists calls himself DR DRE DRUG FREE. the comic makes no
sense but it makes me smile.

« Reply #274 on: Oct 07, 2007, 02:14 PM »
So after listening to Kevin (everyone should listen to Kevin....let him into your heart) about Casanova ....I checked out another book of Gabriel Ba's book and was very happy I did

Umbrella Academy

from Darkhorse's website
Once, the Umbrella Academy was unstoppable. Under the tutelage of their guardian and mentor, Dr. Reginald Hargreeves, its members spent their childhoods fighting evil and honing their extraordinary gifts.

Until something went terribly wrong.

Now, nine years later, the estranged members of the Umbrella Academy are reunited by the death of the only parent they've ever known and the rise of a new and terrible threat. Will they be able to overcome their history for long enough to save the world-one more time?

Conceived and written by Gerard Way (of My Chemical Romance), Umbrella Academy features interior art by Eisner Award-nominated artist Gabriel Ba (De:Tales), colors by Eisner Award-winning colorist Dave Stewart, and covers by multiple-Eisner Award-winning painter James Jean (Fables).

it's full of comic goodness which will help you grow big and strong...like Grant Morrison
    "An ultraviolet psychedelic sherbet bomb of wit and ideas. The superheroes of the 21st century are here at last . . . ---Grant Morrisson"

check out the my space page for some mini comics...... http://www.myspace.com/umbrellaacademycomic
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007, 02:42 PM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

298 Guests, 3 Users

(1 Hidden)
[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us