So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #225 on: Jul 24, 2007, 09:26 PM »
I got Damned from the artist himself but I haven't read it yet.

Lately though I've Been enjoying New Avengers like crazy.  There is a great conspiracy story going on now after a massive ninja fight Battle Get that spanned several issues!  I'm most here for the art but the story has me that I might stay on  if the the artist leaves.

And I'm like the only person who enjoys Ult. X-men since Kirkman took over.  Like Invincible, he's planting the seeds for big things to happen while maturing the plots he started at the begining of his run.  And well, I'm here for the art too.  Gotta love Paquette!

World War hulk Sucks.  Only the Tie-ins are any good.

Oh and the new Spirit series is a nice little toilet read.  Which is a good thing!

« Reply #226 on: Jul 25, 2007, 12:48 AM »
Murder. Conspiracy. Sub-zero temperatures. These are just a few of the twists and turns Faith Erin Hicks totally grabs you with, with her ICE comic. I don't know if she has plans to publish this, but God damn I hope so. Her sense of storytelling is superb. Not to mention her comics are the reference material I use to inspire myself. :) If you like great comics you don't want to miss this. http://www.realityfelon.com/Faith/ice/

Faith Erin Hicks!!!!  Demonology 101 was the first online comic I had ever read.  She's fantastic!  It really doesn't hurt that she's got a bachelors in English and then went on to Sheridan college for Animation.  I can never say enough good things about her.

She also having her other comic, Zombies Calling, published by Slave Labor Graphics.  She's also working on the new George of the Jungle cartoon that's airing on Teletoon up here in Canada.

Demonology 101:

Zombies Calling:

"If divinity is as the sea, then surely the ships of our souls sail in contempt of it"-Matthew Good

« Reply #227 on: Jul 28, 2007, 02:38 AM »

Ode to Kirihito.

« Reply #228 on: Jul 28, 2007, 06:06 AM »
The Invisibles, by Grant Morrison and a wide range of artistic talent.

I've been on a bit of a Morrison tear lately, and the Invisibles was the latest. I'd always heard that it was one of the weirdest and most difficult comics to printed in somewhat mainstream American comics (well, Vertigo, take it as you will). It was pretty interesting.

The Invisibles is a bizarre romp through time, space, spirit and mind, telling the war between the Invisible College and their enemies for the minds of humanity and the reality that is constructed from them. It focuses on the Invisibles cell of King Mob, psychic assassin and his cellmates- Jack Frost, who may be the next Buddha, Ragged Robin, who describes herself as a witch, Boy, a martial artist from New York and Lord Fanny, a Brazillian transexual shaman. Through the series ideas of control, magic, reality and most importantly, conspiracies unfold (and somestimes fold). Apparently a good chunk of it came to Morrison while he was deathly ill and hallucinated what he described as an alien encounter, some lines from these aliens finding their way into the book.
Quite an odd read.

« Reply #229 on: Jul 28, 2007, 12:49 PM »
what I've read in the last three months is

supermarket
civil war
x-men 195-200

« Reply #230 on: Aug 11, 2007, 10:37 PM »
Groo the Wanderer, by Sergio Argones and Mark Evanier

I dimly recall an early issue of Groo being one of the first comics I ever owned,and it's stuck since then. Groo is about, well, Groo, a functionally retarded yet improbably indestructible swordsman who generally screws things up for everyone while being barely aware of it. Evanier and Aragones joken that they really only have one joke in 150+ (I think) issues, but that's okay, it ages well.
Part of the charm of the book, however, is not just the violence and silly shit that happens, but the gradual world building that comes with it. For the most part, each issue is one story, but as the series goes on, more and more characters return, often with signiture "call-back" lines (Drumm asking "What pirates?" never fails to kill me, but then, I'm not that bright).
My only complaints would be that the later Groos, mostly from their Dark Horse period, if memory serves, tend to get a little preachy.

« Reply #231 on: Aug 12, 2007, 05:22 AM »
you forgot to mention Argones ability to whip off pages fast enough to make james look like a snail on downers....even after his death
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #232 on: Aug 15, 2007, 02:39 PM »
I tried reading some of Image's Occult Crimes Task force because I had no idea Rosario Dawson was attempting to co-write a comic. It's really...bad...like I see the potential in the story...but it's just horrible. Plus the main character looks like her, and the art style is sooooo weird!!! It looks like they photo-shopped pictures of people...or rendered them with like some 3D software. And there are no backgrounds, pretty much no talent involved XD.

And Death Jr. is soooo cute! I love it! I def recommend it, and it's also by Image.

« Reply #233 on: Aug 15, 2007, 07:29 PM »
Just finished BATMAN: war drums. So good! I read indie comics for so long I forgot about some of the GOOD super hero stuff.
"Do you really think if you were my only option I would still be straight?"
- Drunk Me vs Ugly Girl

« Reply #234 on: Aug 16, 2007, 03:24 PM »
I dunno if anyone's posted about it yet, but this one I picked up from WW, and it's AMAZING. Pacing, dialogue, story, suspense, social commentary; it's all super solid.

It's called "Nothing Left to Lose," by Josh Farkas.

The art is simplistic, so the story really shines through, and it doesn't cheapen the message by being a little cartoony. It's certainly some incredibly refreshing content, and it tackles an issue not really touched upon the rest of society; that is, living with mental illness. You'll pick it up, and after the first couple of pages I'm sure you won't be able to put it down.

Comic-readers Review:
http://www.comicreaders.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1429

« Reply #235 on: Aug 16, 2007, 03:41 PM »
GROOVE JUNCTION, SNACK COMICS, ARMED PHILOSOPHERS, then a "Dark Horse" selection, a "Top Shelf" selection and the one mentioned above by Pi.

All of them were picked up at WW07

« Reply #236 on: Aug 16, 2007, 05:29 PM »
any chance of getting my hands on a copy of armed philosophers post WW07? figured i'd ask. it was shelde & jed's work that brought me to this site in the first place.

I was skimming through Domu last night. Otomo Katushiro (the guy behind Akira)'s story of a senile, old man who telepathically manipulates people in an early 80's tokyo apartment complex, until a telekinetic little girl stands up to him. awesome art, cool story, quite a lot of gore, & one of my favorites of all time.

-J

« Reply #237 on: Aug 16, 2007, 09:37 PM »
In one form or another, yeah. Just be patient.

« Reply #238 on: Sep 05, 2007, 09:16 PM »
Casanova, by Matt Fraction and Gabrial Ba, from Image.

Casanova Quinn is a secret agent, but so is damn near everyone in this book, so don't let that bother you. He's caught between the good guys of E.M.P.I.R.E. and the baddies at W.A.S.T.E., across various timelines and exotic locales. I think he's psychic, but who knows, really.
The book is a celebration of weirdness, hearkening back somewhat to those crazy-ass Steranko Nick Fury books of yesteryear. The writing's interesting (if at times a little, I guess, smug) and the art is great, stark blacks and whites with green shades. As well, I found I really enjoyed Fraction's ramblings at the end of each issue about where various parts of the book came from and how he put it together. The first book, "Luxuria", is available as a trade I believe, so by all means give it a look.

« Reply #239 on: Sep 07, 2007, 08:22 AM »
Fraction's a champ, I haven't picked up Casanova yet though, I've been meaning to ever since I first met the man, but fundage hasn't been kind enough to allow me that privilege.  I've finally settled into my comics routine.  The titles I've been picking up are:  American Virgin, Army at Love, Batman (just plain Batman), Black Summer, and The Boys.

« Reply #240 on: Sep 07, 2007, 09:05 AM »
Fraction's a champ, I haven't picked up Casanova yet though, I've been meaning to ever since I first met the man, but fundage hasn't been kind enough to allow me that privilege.

Get it.  Fraction's a maniac writing genius on this book and Ba's art crams more into less pages than you'd think possible.  Both men are legends and this is THE ONLY book I'll buy in single issues because of Fraction's great written pieces at the end of each issue.  I also bought the hardcover trade.  I haven't bought singles and then re-bought the same story in trade form since... the first 30 Days of Night.

I love Casanova

Can anyone recommend a/some good Grendel series to me?  I picked up the recently re-packaged first series 25th anniversay thing and quite liked it, but heard that some of the other series are hit-or-miss.  Any suggestions?
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #241 on: Sep 07, 2007, 11:28 AM »
Taking a Film adaptations class this semester, and guess what was on the booklist:

hell yes.

xD :] :I ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #242 on: Sep 07, 2007, 11:35 AM »
I really gotta try Cassanova. I dont know why I havent given it a chance. I mean I love the art from what ive seen so why not.

Other things im into right now: Madman has been terrific. Blade of the Immortal is always my favorite. Ive really been enjoying certain books from DC's Minx line. The three ive enjoyed so far are - Plain Janes, Re-gifters and Good as Lily.

Thanks for mentioning Groove Junction Nathan! :D

« Reply #243 on: Sep 07, 2007, 02:12 PM »
you can try cassanova out here http://www.imagecomics.com/onlinecomics.php?start=8
second one.

« Reply #244 on: Sep 09, 2007, 04:22 PM »
"Déogratias" has been my favorite comic in the past while.

It is based in 1994 Rawanda this comic is heartbreakingly good.
There are bad people who would be less dangerous if they were quite devoid of g

« Reply #245 on: Sep 10, 2007, 02:06 PM »
Anyone here into Love and Rockets? I just picked up the first volume recently (Maggie the Mechanic), and I totally love it. It uses old-fashioned Flash Gordon-style comic aesthetics, but then throws in a bunch of swearing and nudity and dykes.

<3

-Jesse

« Reply #246 on: Sep 10, 2007, 02:12 PM »
-koff- -koff-

(from 1996. i'm pretty sure you'll know who did it. it's awesome! Not in order though. apparently there's some rumor that a tv show is in the works?)

-J

« Reply #247 on: Sep 10, 2007, 03:01 PM »
FLCL 2, crazy as fuck, i can barely understand what is going on but i know i love it, such an intense ride from start to finish.

Naruto 16, 17 and 18. Filling my Naruto collection up nicely.

On the note of my collection, it's really starting to beef up and take shape, when i get paid this month i'm going to get a little extra than usual so i will be spending it on comics, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, though to be fair that would require them to do a lot of searching through this thread to see what i already own, haha.

I'm definetely buying some more DMZ and Y The Last man though.

Oh yeah, i also got DMZ volume 2, i fucking love that book.

« Reply #248 on: Sep 10, 2007, 03:03 PM »
I picked up Parasyte by Hitoshi Iwaaki today.  Not a big fan of Manga, but this one caught my eye.

Alien parasites arrive on earth, in the form of small worms that burrow into host a body's head, eating the brain and assuming control of the body and digestive system.  While the head [now an alien parasite] is able to shape shift and turn into a multitude of nightmarish forms, while the body remains human.  The parasite's only goal is eat and stay alive.

Horrible space monsters, grisly cannibalistic murders, blood, gore and awkward humor revolving around human social habits. What more could you ask for? Well... besides vivid expressions on characters besides the lead.

SCREAM BITCH! THAT SHIT AIN'T NORMAL! D:< 

EDIT:  DAMN!! Thanks for that link, Kuro. <3 *kiss kiss!*
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007, 03:05 PM by fowlie »

« Reply #249 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:56 AM »
On the note of my collection, it's really starting to beef up and take shape, when i get paid this month i'm going to get a little extra than usual so i will be spending it on comics, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, though to be fair that would require them to do a lot of searching through this thread to see what i already own, haha.

You've got 17 pages worth of recommendations.  Pick something.  If you can find it, the old Quality Media thread should still be up here too, which generally went into more detail on comics than this thread does.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

441 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us