So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #175 on: Jun 09, 2007, 02:26 PM »

Super Mario Adventures, drawn by Charlie Nozawa.
I'm in the middle of packing a lot of my old books and found this gem from my childhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Adventures

I think I could trace this comic as my gateway into manga as a  youth. Awesome colors, funny drawings and cute story.
And it's about Mario, what more can a kid want?

« Reply #176 on: Jun 09, 2007, 04:08 PM »
Never mind youths, i want that shit right now! hahaha!

« Reply #177 on: Jun 09, 2007, 04:11 PM »
I remember reading those in Nintendo Power.

« Reply #178 on: Jun 09, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Love and Rockets was like the first adult themed comic i ever read as a 17 year old kid. Before that, I only knew of Marvel and DC, so when my eyes glanced over the first few pages it was like the clouds parted in the sky and I saw comics for what they really are. Magical moments like that are so hard to forget. I was actually in one of those record stores that sell like everything and I sat there in the aisle and read the thing cover to cover while my buddies got CDs.

« Reply #179 on: Jun 11, 2007, 10:56 PM »

ps - I tried to read an old popbot I found of mine, and I've come to the conclusion that Ashley Wood's comics are fairly unreadable.... HE's a good illustrator?? I just think he should stick to illustration. =/

Popbot is like a collection of Pinups with a common theme.  Some of his actual comic work is alot easier to follow, like Metal Gear Solid or previews from that new Tank Girl Comic look like it'll be easy to read.

« Reply #180 on: Jun 12, 2007, 02:06 AM »
UGHHHHH The new Tankgirl looks so fucking bad! I don't want to help push the Ashley Wood hate-train (even though I think his comics are absolute garbage, but his illustrations have some good elements in 'em), but he is the poorest excuse for a Hewlett stand-in since Philip Bond. Tankgirl was only good cus Hewl and Martin meshed so good together, and you could tell they were just in it to take the piss out of comics. Wood is way too stiff, and honestly tame and BORING, to recapture the retarded magic (tm)... from what I've seen it's just gross try-hard narrative and librarian art. I'll take bright blue yeti balls and talking turds on every other panel anyday.

Alan Martin has obviously gone completely nanners, or is broke and needs a paycheck. RAGE.

« Reply #181 on: Jun 12, 2007, 11:54 AM »
ps - I tried to read an old popbot I found of mine, and I've come to the conclusion that Ashley Wood's comics are fairly unreadable.... HE's a good illustrator?? I just think he should stick to illustration. =/
Popbot is like a collection of Pinups with a common theme.  Some of his actual comic work is alot easier to follow, like Metal Gear Solid or previews from that new Tank Girl Comic look like it'll be easy to read.

Naaaw Wood attempts comics in popbot too. I have it in front of me and there is dialogue and some form of loose panel structure, but its really really confusing. His metal gear books were totally unreadable also. I have no clue how your figured them out Johnny, but I give you cookie points for it.

Wei I think I saw that book before and it was a little more readable, but it still isn't really my cup of tea. He's one of those artists that totally gets away with sucking at backgrounds by plopping color all over the place. Like Templesmith... when I'm reading fell sometimes I have to take a break because I get so pissed off by how lazy he is.

Gotta update my site!! for now ---> http://shortfury.deviantart.com

« Reply #182 on: Jun 12, 2007, 01:11 PM »
Hey, do you guys know anywhere i can get a copy of King City except TP, their shop doesn't like me or something and won't let me buy it.

Quoted for emphasis.

Undertown from Tokyopop is looking pretty good artwise, i'll need to re-read it to discern the story though...

« Reply #183 on: Jun 12, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Comic shops in the states can order King City right now, but it won't be in book stores until its been out for 6 months. I don't know the situation in the UK though. Just pop into your local comic shop and see if they can order it in otherwise you just might have to wait until you're in the states =P
Gotta update my site!! for now ---> http://shortfury.deviantart.com

« Reply #184 on: Jun 12, 2007, 01:18 PM »
Comic shops in the states can order King City right now, but it won't be in book stores until its been out for 6 months. I don't know the situation in the UK though. Just pop into your local comic shop and see if they can order it in otherwise you just might have to wait until you're in the states =P

Goddamn, haha, i don't even know where the comic shops round here are. I suppose i'll just wait the eight weeks till Wizard World now, might as well.

« Reply #185 on: Jun 12, 2007, 07:46 PM »
Black Summer #0
Warren Ellis
Juan Jose Ryp

Yeah, he just said what you think he said.  #0 is only 99 cents.
I can't wait for the other seven issues.

« Reply #186 on: Jun 13, 2007, 02:14 PM »
HEY JAMES!!!  WHen is that damn Wonton Soup comic coming out!?  I WANT to be reading it so I can post here saying that I read it...damnit.  Seriously, the dates are kinda screwy on Oni's site.

« Reply #187 on: Jun 13, 2007, 02:20 PM »
HEY JAMES!!!  WHen is that damn Wonton Soup comic coming out!?  I WANT to be reading it so I can post here saying that I read it...damnit.  Seriously, the dates are kinda screwy on Oni's site.

It's out here, isn't it?

Scratch that, it isn't hahaha.

I got mine through Amazon.co.uk (officially Amazon too, not the marketplace.) because nowhere around here sells stuff like that.

Here is what i'm reading this week!

Re-reading The Perhapanauts. Awesome comic, in my opinion.

A "super" group of sorts, chupacabra is easily my favourite character, haha.

Y the Last Man

Yorrick is the last man on earth i loveee it.

The Walking Dead

ZOMBIESYES.

Sam Noir: Samurai Detective

It's a quick talking, quick witted, samurai detective. Simply awesome.

Just started re-reading those today, trying to get hyped up to do something other than sit around for a change.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2007, 04:02 PM by Enef »

« Reply #188 on: Jun 24, 2007, 11:18 AM »
To keep in the spirit of the current monster tournament, i found this little gem:

ALL FLEE! by Gavin Burrows and Simon Gane
a short little read, but a good fun twist on classic monsters and how it would be now if they were real! plus Simon Gane's blocky style adds an extra neat effect. cheap and charming!
http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog.php?type=5&title=400&PHPSESSID=29eaefb3a34e42dcd40dfcf8dff83857
Check the preview, LOOK AT THOSE AWESOME HIP-HOP DINOS HAHA.

i had read another monster comic but i forgot the title T_t
...beats me, man. Beats me why most dudes suck, sure as hell ain't my scene.

« Reply #189 on: Jun 24, 2007, 04:40 PM »
Yo enef! i'm reading Y the last man tooooooooo.

I got books 1-8 from my local libary thinking that was the whole series so i read them all withen 2 days, but noooooooooo book 9 is the final one.......bastards
This series is awesome, but it does scare the behjesus out of me though. It reminds me that women are scary :x
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2007, 04:42 PM by Powerz »

« Reply #190 on: Jun 25, 2007, 05:51 PM »
Calvin and Hobbes
Garfield
Some Superman
Batman
Bone
I'm reading any comic I can get my eager little hands on.
That includes web comics.

« Reply #191 on: Jun 26, 2007, 12:16 AM »
Yo enef! i'm reading Y the last man tooooooooo.

I got books 1-8 from my local libary thinking that was the whole series so i read them all withen 2 days, but noooooooooo book 9 is the final one.......bastards
This series is awesome, but it does scare the behjesus out of me though. It reminds me that women are scary :x

Damn straight. >:3

Everyone should read Y The Last Man. It really is a great comic series. I have to keep myself from buying the single issues and wait for the collected volumes. Gaaaah.

« Reply #192 on: Jun 26, 2007, 03:41 AM »
i got myself the bone volume one... whatever its called.

1300 sites of good, good and more good. TOP!!

this thing is so heavy. i just can read it when it lies on the table :D
the paper is a bit thin, so you see what is on the next page. but with better paper it would be even heavier and thicker.

« Reply #193 on: Jun 28, 2007, 08:08 AM »
After work today I just picked up the new volume of Last Hope from Seven Seas, just after picking up Jim Cramer's "Watch TV, Get Rich". lol
Working on my portfolio.

« Reply #194 on: Jun 28, 2007, 12:54 PM »
So i learned today that a book shop near where i work is doing a special comics sale(Weird, they only ever had one or two Tokyopop mangas in before) 10 comics for £1.

That's 10 comics for $2(give or take)

How awesome is that? I'll be picking some up tomorrow(PAYDAY YAY!) so i'll let you know just how awesome it is.

« Reply #195 on: Jun 28, 2007, 01:41 PM »
Anything by Jason, a comic artist from Norway.
http://www.fantagraphics.com/artist/jason/jason.html

This is his most recent GN (i believe), and it perfectly illustrates his ability to use his simple, yet serious comic style and add twists to his stories by utilizing a different scene for every page or so! His simple looking anthro characters actually heighten his ability to do twisting mysterys, something I really think he does well!
Jason seems to take inspiration from the likes of Tintin in his drawing style, along with very characteristic European traits. GO READ NOW.

and anything ASTERIX AND OBELIX (did someone already mention them?)

http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/
i have every Asterix and Obelix ever (mind some of them are in Dutch or French) even some childrens story ones, i grew up with them and it's probably what made me love comics. The stories are full of good humor and wit, star two Gauls, small yet feisty Asterix and big dumb super strong Obelix with lovely little plays off old European History in the days of Julius Cesaer, when France was known as Gaul in the year 50. B.C. or so.
Goscinny and Uderzo are my heroes! Pinnacles of European comics!! There are 33 books in the series extending over many years, but DEFINITELY try reading as many of the earlier stories, I recently bought the  "newest" issue (Asterix and the The Falling Sky), Uderzo the original writer for the series died in 1977, so I don't think he wrote this one... as  it was published in 2005. Either way it's bloody daft story wise, while Uderzo can still draw... the book was just LAME.

And of course you've gotta read some Tintin and Lucky Luke haha!

that Tintin... so hot hahahahah!
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007, 01:43 PM by Chair »
...beats me, man. Beats me why most dudes suck, sure as hell ain't my scene.

« Reply #196 on: Jun 29, 2007, 11:10 AM »
As much as it may hurt my indy comic cred, I've been reading Action Comics. Yeah, Superman.
I realize I posted a thread a couple years ago wondering if anyone actualy liked him, and scoffed about it. I was looking for the issue that was an analog to the Authority, and ended up reading quite a piece of Superman comics. And to be honest, I like Superman now. Joe Casey has a way about the character that plays to it's strengths while minimizing it's weaknesses, and has a heart to his stories that I can't help but enjoy. I think the reason that I liked these comics is Joe Casey himself- I read the Chuck Austin (ugh) issues and was not terribly impressed. I guess I gained the perspective that there's room for all kinds of comics in this crazy ole world.
However, the Question is still cooler.

« Reply #197 on: Jun 29, 2007, 11:39 AM »
brave brave man...hard to admit you spoke too soon.....

....yah it's all about the team behind the book....just look at Hellblazer/John Constantine from team to team the quality went up and down....I personally preferred Ennis and Dillon's work over everyone elses.....I was very disapointed when they left...course they went on to do Preacher which was even better....but I was still disapointed

I just read Black Summer by Ellis with Art by Juan Jose Ryp.....and despite the fact that most of Avatar's stuff is absolute tripe this was good...fairly interesting and holds promise...

.....and Ryp's stuff is reminiscent of Dillon except it has a level of detail that was always missing from his work
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2007, 12:05 PM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #198 on: Jun 29, 2007, 12:07 PM »
brave brave man...hard to admit you spoke too soon.....

....yah it's all about the team behind the book....just look at Hellblazer/John Constantine from team to team the quality went up and down....I personally preferred Ennis and Dillon's work over everyone elses.....I was very disapointed when they left...course they went on to do Preacher which was even better....but I was still disapointed
Saying you like Superman on Void is like coming out in the Bible belt.
But in all seriousness, I am terribly interested Black Summer.

« Reply #199 on: Jun 29, 2007, 12:24 PM »
Saying you like Superman on Void is like coming out in the Bible belt.

HAHA Jed!
If that analogy is true. then our good friend dan is our queen. 

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 22, 2024, 11:47 PM
Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

241 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 284.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us