So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2007, 01:54 PM »
WOLVERINE ORIGINS.

I'm a Wolvie dork, but i've never read this, so i am doing now, pretty good.

I caught up with American Virgin today (Issues 10-14) loviiing it.

ASTOUNDING WOLFMAN is a cool read, i'm not sure about the art, it's waaaay stylistic and good, but it seems a little too cartoony for the subject matter.

I need to visit a comic shop more often and find some more underground shit.
I dunno, I just picked up the first issue on FREE COMIC BOOK DAY, and the revelation that the guy was a werewolf was really... lame. I don't like oblivious characters, but I don't like characters that just blurb out the plot like the dialog was just the outline.

I don't think I'm in love with any of my FCB Day spoils, although it was worth adventuring for. The Umbrella Academy piques my interest a bit.

Readin' the Amazing Joy Buzzards! It's charming!

Just bought Hellboy: The Right Hand of Doom. It's worth buying just for this little quibble!
Prepare for a page stretch unrivaled to any in recorded history!

I need to buy King City, MBQ:2, and the volumes of HunterXHunter, XXXHolic, and Angelic Layer that I've let blown past meeee.
<*)))><{

« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2007, 02:03 PM »
HunterXHunter is pretty good, i didn't like it too much at first and the story is starting to get to me at the moment (i'm at just where Kurapika has gone back with "The boss" and Killua and Gon are in GI) i kinda wish they did more HUNTING, the opening sequence with that bear like thing and the fish really got my hopes up for a huge manga MONSTER HUNTING romp and it just failed to deliver :(

That's another thing that annoyed me with Wolfman, that guy who wants to be his Mentor, STOP REVEALING THE PLOT YOU DOUCHE, YOU'RE JUST A DEVICE COS KIRKMAN IS LAZY.

In all actuality, i'm a huge Kirkman fan, Walking Dead and Invincible are some of my favourite reads out there.

Also, AJB is awesome.

I fully intend on buying King City on the 27th, when i get paid. I'll probably wait until Chicago now to buy Wonton Soup from James, and buy any books Marles and Gabo are selling. haha, such a voidfantard.

« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2007, 02:13 PM »
I'm not sure whether I like Hunter X Hunter for the art or the story. The story isn't anything new, but it's refreshing to see a young character that isn't a total jerk or an idiot.
Clamp, Junko Mizuno, and a handful of other hidden gems are really the only artists keeping me attached to manga nowadays.
<*)))><{

« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2007, 02:22 PM »
The only manga i really keep up to date with and read religously is Naruto, i keep wishing Toriyama would make something else like Sandland, or even more adventures of the demons but alas, non. I also find it real funny and interesting that the Hunter X Hunter artist is married to the Sailor Moon artist, haha, i dunno why that amuses me but it does. I think with Manga, it's not the art that really keeps me reading, sure it ATTRACTS me, but i keep reading for the stories.

I finished the Battle Pope comics today, hilarious hahahahaa, God and Battle Pope fighting over Mary makes me laugh every time.

I started reading "Gun Blaze West" the other day, the art is reminiscent of something, i just can't place my finger on it at all...interesting enough title though.

« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2007, 02:39 PM »
HunterXHunter is pretty good, i didn't like it too much at first and the story is starting to get to me at the moment (i'm at just where Kurapika has gone back with "The boss" and Killua and Gon are in GI) i kinda wish they did more HUNTING, the opening sequence with that bear like thing and the fish really got my hopes up for a huge manga MONSTER HUNTING romp and it just failed to deliver :(

That's another thing that annoyed me with Wolfman, that guy who wants to be his Mentor, STOP REVEALING THE PLOT YOU DOUCHE, YOU'RE JUST A DEVICE COS KIRKMAN IS LAZY.

In all actuality, i'm a huge Kirkman fan, Walking Dead and Invincible are some of my favourite reads out there.

Also, AJB is awesome.

I fully intend on buying King City on the 27th, when i get paid. I'll probably wait until Chicago now to buy Wonton Soup from James, and buy any books Marles and Gabo are selling. haha, such a voidfantard.

omgfgbsdmoffghpfjklg HunterXHunter!  ;D <33
I knew there was a manga on it, but I never got a chance to read it. I did watch the anime though and I really liked it. I'm not sure how many changes they placed on the anime, but if anything, in retrospect, it really reminded me of Void! Especially the whole arena fighting. The begining I admit is pretty dull since its all establishing and set-up, but once it gets going its really interesting. I highly recommend it. ;)

« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2007, 02:46 PM »

Also, AJB is awesome.

omgfgbsdmoffghpfjklg HunterXHunter!  ;D <33
I knew there was a manga on it, but I never got a chance to read it. I did watch the anime though and I really liked it. I'm not sure how many changes they placed on the anime, but if anything, in retrospect, it really reminded me of Void! Especially the whole arena fighting. The begining I admit is pretty dull since its all establishing and set-up, but once it gets going its really interesting. I highly recommend it. ;)

Yeah, i dunno if they had Greed Island in the Anime, but that is where i am. The whole "Spider" thing is annoying me though, get over it already Kurapika, hahaha.

I wish there was more HUGE FUCKING MONSTER hunting. That would be awesome.

« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2007, 07:27 AM »
I just finished reading the Earth X trade paperback for the hundreth time. ;)

« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2007, 09:01 AM »

Free Comic Book Day goods! :)

Oh man OH MAN, Hunter X Hunter used to be like my FAVORITE comic, EVERRR. I thought the Hunter challenges and nen things were just so clever.....!! (*0* (But I stopped reading shortly after Greed Island because...?? The scanlation place I was reading them from took forever to release... :-\)

« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2007, 03:01 PM »
Just got through reading this.

Wasteland.

I love the art in it, and the distopian future and shit, it reeks of apoc shit and i eat it up like the good little nerd.

First few pages:

Some pages from the next issues:

Also got to read something called "Two Step" by Warren Ellis for Wildstorm, and i gotta admit, W.E is fast becoming one of my favourite writers. slick dialogue, fast talking spies and pissed off bored camgirls! Fantastic! worth the read of all the issues just to see two giant robots fight then get it on afterwards whilst one of our heroes walks underneath. Fantastic.

Yeah...i'm all about the "Near future" sci fi kinda shit, probably too into it, it rocks my socks, yo.

« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2007, 03:42 PM »
Oh man OH MAN, Hunter X Hunter used to be like my FAVORITE comic, EVERRR. I thought the Hunter challenges and nen things were just so clever.....!! (*0* (But I stopped reading shortly after Greed Island because...?? The scanlation place I was reading them from took forever to release... :-\)

I see Hellboy junior in there?
I always wondered if it was any good.
Not that I can afford anything at the moment :D
<*)))><{

« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2007, 10:32 AM »
I see Hellboy junior in there?
I always wondered if it was any good.
Not that I can afford anything at the moment :D

Um... It's cute but grotesque. Lots of nauseating/gross sort of bathroom-humor imagery but still highly entertaining. (Really fast-paced comedy.) So uh... mixed feelings?
Horray for 60% off comic sales :D

« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2007, 11:23 AM »
HELLBOY IS FREAKING AWESOME HDSDLAHF;A
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2007, 10:39 PM »
its actually been like a month since i bought any comics. what a terrible terrible month!

so i fixed that today!

Yeah, It Is! by

its a comic done with cut paper (which made me think of Elio haha!) sweet and short! i kind of want to try it now but im then reminded of Second Year Typography... and cutting out all those letters... so many letters... me and cut paper weren't friends after that. Elio... you should um do this one day ;)

Chewing Gum in Church: A "Yikes!" Collection by Steve Weissman

ridiculously adorable and creepy at the same time i was laughing out loud and ended up choking at one point. it kind of has a throwback 50's children/Peanuts feel and is pretty fun for a relative "talking heads" strip. basically its a bunch of monsters kids being kind of retarded. i love his linework?! and such sweet color choice!

go to the Fantagraphics page or Weissman's blog, theres a Yikes! strip every week haha! i need to scan some pages!

Beasts! by James Covey

... oh man, not a comic but STILL... STILLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! GET IT!!

!!! (holy fuck i'd want that on my wall)

!!!!

!!!!!

... and then i picked up some Jeffrey Brown to satisfy the big gay emo in me.
...beats me, man. Beats me why most dudes suck, sure as hell ain't my scene.

« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2007, 02:34 PM »
Iron West
There's robots, in the Old West.  Along with Sasquatch, a train monster, the Loch Ness Monster, and a crook trying hard NOT to save the day.

Doug TenNepal is an amazing artist, and one hell of a storyteller to combine elements from a laundry list of genres and not make it a contrived disaster.  I highly recommend this book.  It's FUN TOO!

Check out his older book Creature Tech.  It's pure awesome from cover to cover.

I've also been reading Ex Machina 1 and 2.  It's another "What if Superheroes existed in the 'Real World' thing, but done quite well.  It's... kinda West Wing political manuvering meets sci-fi mystery thriller.

The story follows Mayor Hundred, after gaining super-human abilities from an explosion, he has a short-lived career as a hero, before going public with his real identity and running for mayor of New York.  To everyone's surprise, he wins!  Told in flashbacks mixed with his current mayoral duties, this series is an engrossing, intelligent read.  The art is superb.
DJ Neko: Thank you entervoid, you're like the abusive husband I keep coming back to. <3

« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2007, 02:46 PM »
I've read some of Ex Machina, it's definetely a good read i enjoyed it a lot, i should pick up the ones i haven't read if i can. I forgot all about it to be honest, haha. Thanks for the reminder.

« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2007, 12:32 AM »
Ghost Rider 2099!

« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2007, 11:39 PM »
If anybody has a local comic shop near them then I would suggest walking into it and picking up the latest issue of heavy metal. The reason why I say you should pick up that evil magazine with the tacky spray painted girl cover is because a most awesome comic called BOY ZERO by Robert Valley is in it!!!!

there are some more pages in here!! http://www.robertvalley.com/boy0frameset.html

maybe later I will scan some more pages, but seriously... this guy's style, angles, EVERYTHING is top notch.

this is his website

http://www.robertvalley.com/

AND EVERYBODY SHOULD PICK UP HIS BOOK MASSIVE SWIRL.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:42 PM by Marley »
Gotta update my site!! for now ---> http://shortfury.deviantart.com

« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2007, 12:02 AM »
AGHA yea valley is rad, didn't he do the commercial for Guitar Hero 2 also? SO AWESOME.

And that Beasts! book is off the hooook.

« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2007, 03:07 PM »
Hey shut up Marley, Heavy Metal is definitely Where It's At.

« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2007, 10:23 AM »
just jumped back into my BONE one volume collection. Its such a huge story i feel like ill never be able to read it in a week or less. thats usually when my attention span runs out and i have to start over a couple months later.  I always have my Calvin and Hobbes complete collection on hand as well.  I will never love another comic more.

« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2007, 01:06 PM »
maybe later I will scan some more pages, but seriously... this guy's style, angles, EVERYTHING is top notch.
this is his website

AND EVERYBODY SHOULD PICK UP HIS BOOK MASSIVE SWIRL.

SWEET!! I love his stuff already! Do you have anymore of his Lupe Fiasco pages Marley!? I love that skateboard stuff. (if i ever get my comic done youll see why im frantic to get my hands on that!)

« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2007, 01:10 PM »
HAHA i was just about to say the same thing Andre! that stuff is off the hook!
...beats me, man. Beats me why most dudes suck, sure as hell ain't my scene.

« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2007, 02:11 PM »
HAHA i was just about to say the same thing Andre! that stuff is off the hook!

hehe Ah geez im an idot - there's more pages from the Lupe Fiasco thing on his site as a preview. I wish it had more skateboarding pages though.

« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2007, 03:05 PM »
His blog has a lot of shtuff, I don't know if ya found it already though but here's the link
http://www.robertvalley.blogspot.com/

« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2007, 06:25 PM »
This guy's fantastic: http://www.thomasherpich.com/

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Morrigan KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart Mercury

Open Challenges -

No open challenges
Create a new challenge

Latest Topics -

Revelarts images 
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 16, 2024, 02:38 PM
Revelarts-ubator  
Last updated: Revelarts - Apr 15, 2024, 10:25 PM
All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

194 Guests, 2 Users

[] [Think Tank]

Most Online Today: 255.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us