So what comics are you reading?

So what comics are you reading?
« on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:31 PM »
Sorta along the lines of the Quality media thread, but more specific to comics.....whadya reading lately?

Stuff that has caught my eye lately;

Wormwood Gentleman's Corpse

Moon Knight(the new one)

ElephantMen

New Universal ( parts of the last incarnation was a guilty pleasure...wanna see what Ellis does with it....and pray that he can do somthing new fer a change)
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007, 04:57 PM by Wei Ingnan »
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2007, 06:53 PM »
YES, elephantmen is awesome, everybody should read it. justin 'moritat' norman is the single greatest person on earth (it's been proven by science)

i just recently read a korean book called '12 DAYS' by june kim, about a girl whose girlfriend died in a car accident, and to get over her she drinks her ashes in smoothies for 12 days, while psuedo-falling in love with her girlfriends brother. i liked the concept a lot, but the book was kind of shitty.

bought a bunch of older heavy metals from the 70's that i am slowly going through... there was a good one about post apocolyptic cannibals that i liked a lot, but can't remember who did it.

picked up this book called 'STAR RAIDERS' by jose luis garcia lopez (most mexican name EVER) and some other guy. really good old skool sci-fi, complete with jumpsuits and insectiod aliens.

marls in charge found this super-rare katsuhiro otomo anthology that is kind of mindblowing. it's all untranslated, but still it is how all comix should be.

i neeeed to start reading beserk again, too. there was really no reason for me to stop, other than laziness.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:28 PM »
THE FIRST BOOK OF RICE BOY

Also:
Spider-man: Blue
The Walking Dead

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2007, 08:29 PM »
http://www.drmcninja.com

I'm cheap, and I can't afford comics, so I take whatever is free online.
;-)

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:00 PM »

Because it's just that good.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:44 PM »

it was good....you should read Cerebus the Aardvark by Dave Sim......all umpityzillion issues
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007, 04:59 PM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2007, 11:46 PM »

it was good....you should read Cerebus the Aardvark by Dave Sim......all umpityzillion issues

I still need the last trade paperback of that, that's such a great series

Not too long ago I read We3, finally bought that massive one volume Bone trade, manga wise I've been reading Drifting Classroom, Monster, 20th Century Boys, Cromartie High School, Berserk, Naruto, D.Gray Man, Genshiken, Nana, and Bleach
Kittens wearins mittens

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:19 AM »
I haven't been picking up comics lately, but I did get Marvel Zombies for my birthday last year. it's an entertaining read, especially if you, like me, have no idea why the fuck Silver Surfer has so many fans.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2007, 01:24 AM »
About 100-odd webcomics >_>
Is this awesome? [y/n]

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2007, 04:16 AM »
you know, ive been thinking about reading BONE. is it worth it?

but yah, ive been reading the V FOR VENDETTA graphic novel (much better than the book, and way way way more deep, you should all check it out) ill be picking up THE WATCHMEN by the same author... which i hear is the shit.

oh, and pulpo, pulpo 2, running on empty when i get more money. and pulpo 3 when that comes out

SHAZAM!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2007, 04:18 AM »
I haven't been picking up comics lately, but I did get Marvel Zombies for my birthday last year. it's an entertaining read, especially if you, like me, have no idea why the fuck Silver Surfer has so many fans.

cus he's one of the only superheros worth more than a pile of crusty shit! he's silver and rides a surfboard through space, what's not to love??

« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:29 AM »
you know, ive been thinking about reading BONE. is it worth it?

yes of course it is worth it. everyone should read bone. look for it at a library or something.

gosh i haven't read a good comic book in a while, i have been reading Word Books. You should all read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson though, it's very scifi and comic-bookish, and reminded me intensely of James' style, even though there's no pictures.
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2007, 09:31 AM by mr. robot »

« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2007, 10:34 AM »
I've been reading Berserk and Blade of the Immortal recently. Berserk has all the graphic demon rape and dismemberment that you'll ever need! Ovary party for the win.

« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2007, 12:04 PM »

cus he's one of the only superheros worth more than a pile of crusty shit! he's silver and rides a surfboard through space, what's not to love??

It just boggles me what you'd find in an issue of Silver Surfer. I mean, he's silver and he surfs, okay, funky enough. What else are you getting out of that book though? Pages of SS just surfing through space?

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2007, 02:28 PM »
(SMARMALARM!)
THE SILVER SURFER EQUATION:

yes, he is silver, and surfs through space... so he can find planets so a fucking godilke purple dude in a crazy 12 story helmet (who was created by 2 universes FOLDING TOGETHER!) can eat them, lest he fall into a crack-like withdrawl coma! BUT DEEP DOWN, he is a sensitive bald fellow named NORRIN RADD (!!!!) who just wants to go home and nail his broad.

if the sole thing that made him cool was that he slides around space on some form of locomotive, recreational apparatus then i'm pretty sure the BLACK RACER would be cool.

and yes... that is a black guy who rides around space on skis.

DON'T LET HIM TOUCH YOU!!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2007, 02:38 PM »
goddamn.

I'm still enjoying Invincible.  Makes me laugh, makes me cry. It's entertaining.

« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2007, 04:51 PM »
Invincible is pretty good.......and I can't believe I forgot....The Goon
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2007, 10:46 AM by Wei Ingnan »

« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2007, 05:48 PM »
I'm re-reading Tank Girl, searching for anything and everything Adrian Tomine, and trying to find the elusive third issue of The Escapists. I have all but #3!!

I've always wanted to read Hip Flask~
<*)))><{

« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:33 PM »
Recent:
Same Difference by Derek Kirk Kim,
Pirates of Coney Island by Rick Spears and Vasilis Lolos A+ art but I hate the writing,
and The 9/11 Report graphic adaption, Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon very hard to read.

Still re-reading:
De:Tales by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba and
Sex by Atsushi Kamijo which is not translated either and does not actually have sex in it at all.  :'(

Webcomics:
http://www.pbfcomics.com
http://www.catandgirl.com
http://www.xkcd.com
http://www.slowwave.com

James - Oh nooooo, is 12 Days really that bad? I've been dying to read it since for EEVVVEER.

« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:55 PM »
Growing up, I loved the Black Racer. I dunno, in those old wacky Fourth World books, Kirby actually managed to make a coma-bound black dude whose alter ego is the Grim Reaper on skis in primary colors a pretty creepy dude.

As for comics, I haven't been readin much lately as there's nowhere to get them here. I read a couple trades of Sandman before I left though, and was amazingly impressed by the writing. Gaiman actually made me put the book down, go out to the woodshed and freeze my damn hands off digging though my old man's comics from the 70's to track down a reference that I thought I got.

And hey, there was a character named Jed in the second one. Rad.

« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2007, 05:12 PM »
Mostly Marvel's Civil War titles. I've been considering picking up either Fables or Transmetropolitan.

« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:48 PM »
I bought two graphic novels today.

I got the Halo Graphic Novel and a little book called Klezmer by Joann Sfar.

The Halo Graphic Novel isn't too interesting storywise, but I think the art is phenomenal, especially the first story which uses bright flashy colors. If you want a story though, don't buy it. The most I'll get out of this nugget is just the pure enjoyment of picture examining.

Now, Klezmer, by Joann Sfar on the other hand is extremely good in my opinion. It takes place in Pre-World War II Europe, involving a group of wanderers who all end up together and start a band, making money off of Jewish Bar-Batmitvahs, and weddings. The art style looks pretty damn cool in my opinion too, she makes excess use of Watercolors, resulting in something pretty appealing.

« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:10 PM »
The art style looks pretty damn cool in my opinion too, she makes excess use of Watercolors, resulting in something pretty appealing.

He, not she.

Joann Sfar

« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2007, 09:22 PM »
JOE - AHN.

;)

« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2007, 11:07 PM »
DR. 13.

EDIT:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Thirteen 

probably not an award winning series, but it's so fun to see such random shit happening to a guy who refuse to believe it AT ALL.

Oh and trying to reason everything.

plus it references to many obsecure DC characters..
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2007, 11:20 PM by jinguj »
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

299 Guests, 3 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us