So what comics are you reading?

Re: So what comics are you reading?
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:18 AM »
Oh, thank you for the correction.

I'm used to Joann being a girl's name. As in Jo-Ann.

« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2007, 10:48 AM »
Another one which is pretty good is The Exterminators.....the artist I believe is the same guy who did the first few issues of The Walking Dead (which I passed along to you a few of you last year)
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2007, 09:24 PM »
THE GOON !!! I fucking love that comic

The Walking Dead

and I hope to read The Dark Tower Comics coming out <333 ROLAND THE GUNSLINGER
MOST IMPROVED ARTIST 2016
MOST IMPROVED WRITER 2016

« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2007, 12:28 AM »
What have I been reading lately? More like what I've been TRYING to read. :P I found this series through my daily foraging for Trantkat art and comics (I'd suggest picking up AGAPE if you find it- amazing art and sequentials)

First and second issues of Skydoll by Barbuci and Canepa. The comic is entirely in french, aaaand I don't know a lick of french. I've been following the story by the kindess of fellow Skydoll fans over in Europe who've whipped up more or less rough translations of the script in english.

I found it a bit tedious to go from reading the comic to pulling up the word file, so I've been kind 'fan subbing' the comic for myself- yea, nerd I know.

If anyone knows where I can get, borrow, download or buy a translated copy of the first issue (or more. I really want to see where the story goes) PEASE point me in the right direction.

« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:05 AM »
Kozi, Heavy Metal ran a few issues of the Skydoll issue in their summer edition last year, you can buy it here:

http://www.metaltv.com/showitem.cfm?Itemnum=4329

All that for 7 bucks doesn't sound too bad.

Anyways, I've been reading a couple floppies whenever I swing by the LCS:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned NEXTWAVE: AGENTS OF H.A.T.E yet!  Hilarious book that actually makes me laugh when reading it!

Just plain awesome art by Stuart Immonen too.

I just jumped on Ultimate X-men during the Cable arc thats going on now and I'm loving it.  Decent art and and neat twist to a character I've always liked(Yes I like Cable).

Right now I'm reading alot of manga and and a touch of euro stuff.

OHIKKOSHI

By Hiroaki "TAKEITEASY" Samura.  This is a collection of his comedy/romance comics.  Don't let the cover fool you, the art is waaay better on the inside.  This book also makes me laugh unlike most manga.

Can't not Reccommend GANTZ enough!  Really thrilling stuff.  Twists abound in that book.  Been getting "phase 2" chapters as they come out.

Last thing I gotta mention is the site http://kotonoha.monkey-pirate.com/index.php  They feature alot of "unique" manga that usually gets overlooked.  Just look around there, there's something for everyone!

« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2007, 04:15 AM »
I'm subscribed to Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Spiderman, i'm an ultimate fan really, read every book in the whole line, or at least every book i could get my hands on.

I LOVE invincible, i have 5? 6? of the volumed books and a couple of the issues, It keeps on amazing me with how great it is.

I also am loving Y The Last Man, it's so ...weird and out there and interesting to read, i definetely suggest it to everyone.

« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2007, 06:37 AM »
i just finished the x statix series which i enjoyed even though that was mostly because of mike allred's art. madman was a better series, his newer book the golden plates on the mormon religion is decent as well. other then that i'm also reading 100 bullets which i always enjoy, Girls, Y the last man, Fables, Jack of Fables, the boys, all star superman, which is one of the few superhero comics i'm really enjoying, mostly because i'm pre programmed to enjoy anything by grant morrison.  i just read bighead by jeffery brown which was fairly humorourus, the new issue of dork was sweet now only if it would be realesed on a somewhat regular basis. other then that i'm still sifting through a shit load of older comics like judge dredd, the invisables, hellboy, heavy liquid etc

« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2007, 06:57 AM »
Nextwave's theme song is immense.

« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:57 AM »
Kozi, Heavy Metal ran a few issues of the Skydoll issue in their summer edition last year, you can buy it here:

http://www.metaltv.com/showitem.cfm?Itemnum=4329

All that for 7 bucks doesn't sound too bad.

I totally bought that with the quickness- thanks for that link. ;D Seeing you're the guy to see when it comes to tracking down comics, you wouldn't happen to know if Heavy Metal ran any work by Trantkat?

« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I'm reading one of my old favorites: Dykes to Watch Out For

EDIT: made it an image. Whoops.

<3

-Jesse
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2007, 08:52 PM by jesse »

« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:21 PM »
hahah I used to read dykes to watch out for, but I didn't remember why I stopped

thanks for the link again anyways
Get ready- pop it, let's go.
Enter galactic, you and me,
Enter galactic, you and me.

« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:28 PM »
I've been really getting into the Ultimates series of comics (ultimate spiderman, ultimate galactus, fantastic four, x-men, etc.). I blame my brother for this, haha.

Ultimate fantastic four has been my comics bread n' butter for the past while, though. I always loved fantastic four, and how their adventures were so ridiculously awesome and pseudo-sciencey. Having adventures on electrons, and the fucking awesome N-zone aspects and just...bdkhsfjdnsj. I love the fantastic four.
Ultimate spiderman is also my favorite spidey series. I like how he's a high school kid with teenage issues and all that shit. I never liked the grown-up married-to-mary-jane spiderman. Ultimate spidey seems so much more real, y'know? Not that being married made him any less real in the other series', but...i dunno, the sarcastic and nerdy comments he makes as spidey seem to make more sense knowing that he's some 17/18 or so year old kid who's trying to pass the PSAT and has to save the city from the shocker or whoever else.

so yeah, i'm pretty much an Ultimates series fag : D
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2007, 01:30 PM by HeyZoos »
an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs

« Reply #37 on: Jan 18, 2007, 10:28 PM »
Pug Davis: http://www.sugarboukas.com/PD

Alliieennsssss!

« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2007, 04:29 AM »
so yeah, i'm pretty much an Ultimates series fag : D

Everyone should be :D

« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2007, 06:38 AM »
i bought fancy frogglin's sexy forest yesterday by james kochalka, funniest book ever. hugely immature yes, but goddamn funny his comic timing is spot on at all times.

« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:24 AM »
The Boondocks: A Right To be Hostile since I forgot I owned the damn thing.

Pulpo Volume 1 and 2 since i got them in the mail recently. I almost stoned my co-worker for tossing a soda to me that was open thus getting a splash of Code Red Mountain Dew on a few pages. :-\
Power and wealth to no avail, let only our drinking prevail, a sober man and the sages are both lost through the ages, but all our brave drinkers, never shall die..

« Reply #41 on: Jan 21, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Blacksad -- I don't know, a lot of people have never heard of it, but I got some hard copies from my illustration teacher in French and it took me a little while to find some of it in English. Worth it however: classic noir themes, like what a black and white movie would be in color (and with anthros). Beautifully written and everything.

« Last Edit: Jan 21, 2007, 02:04 PM by Master Loki »

April 23rd.

« Reply #42 on: Jan 21, 2007, 02:21 PM »
Hey Loki, that looks like quite an interesting series :0 Scan some pages in- I'm up for a read. I'm dazzled by the backgrounds.

« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2007, 03:06 PM »
Hey Loki, that looks like quite an interesting series :0 Scan some pages in- I'm up for a read. I'm dazzled by the backgrounds.

Aye, will do, I salute any willing fans of this series. >:D

April 23rd.

« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2007, 05:39 PM »
Oooh, that Blacksad thing looks good. Gonna have to find me an english copy.

Lately I've just been reading old astro city stuff and the funny pages in the newspaper.

« Reply #45 on: Jan 21, 2007, 06:05 PM »
The only real comic I've ever read is Hellsing, I think (I lived a protected childhood). I'm checking out that Blacksad, though.
For anyone who's played Half-Life 2, I recommend Concerned. It follows roughly parallel to the game, starting a little bit earlier. Pretty slick for Garry's Mod, too.
I've got my own personal pop-up ad :O

« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Wow, lot's of these look good, I was looking for more reading material anyways. Oooh! Kozi that skydoll one looks interesting, I'll definantly have to check that one out,I'm cheap so I hope I can download it somewhere. Also anyone know any new warcraft comics out? And I'm not talking about the WoW manga one, I've been wantingto buy the Warcraft novels at borders, but I need my fix of Warcraft comic books.

Anyways So far this is what I'm reading 

Honestly Azuma's best manga out there. Yes..even better than Azumanga daioh

Alot of people don't know about this manga but it's honestly really fucking good, I for one am picky when it comes to reading manga. ;D

Also Freesia I'm fuckin' lazy so I'm not posting the pic. You guys have to go look for it, just google freesia manga or something. Awesome manga definantly one of my faves other than Hellsing,Berserk and Battleroyale.

"I'm giving you a head start, you're going to need it. Cause I fight like a girl."

« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:26 PM »
haha man, i forgot about yotsuba&

i've read a few issues, and i've lol'd each time.
an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs

« Reply #48 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:00 AM »
So I just checked out 'Raptors' over the weekend....I swear that someone posted about it here on the forums....but I can't find the post now

It wasn't really anything to write home about.....yes the art was good for the most part..wasn't the best I have seen from the artist.....but that was about it.....the storyline wasn't really all that stellar and not the least bit compelling....for Heavy Metal it was fairly run of the mill stuff
-draw like you love it.... not like your mom told you to do it-

« Reply #49 on: Jan 22, 2007, 04:15 PM »
[in love with blacksad]

If only I had a copy, even if I won't be able to understand a word but, "croissants".

I haven't been reading much comics lately, but I'm only familiar with manga...

I love tons of Osamu Tezuka comics, and also by Hagi Moto.

but recently I've gotten myself into "Glass no Kamen" and "Cromatie High School", and also, "Pyuu to Fuku! Jagaa".

The only other comics out there that I own, which is not Japanese, is those by Jhonen Vasquez. ...god, I'm pathetic.

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 28, 2024, 07:15 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

456 Guests, 1 User

[]

Most Online Today: 504.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us