Flytee tries to get good

Flytee tries to get good

Flytee tries to get good
« on: Jan 02, 2021, 03:19 AM »
Heyo,

This year I want to work on improving some major downfalls in my art. I'll be posting practice studies as well as comic panels/ illustrations were I'm actively addressing issues or attempting something new.
This thread is more of a record for myself and a way to keep me accountable, but any tips or advice is welcome.

Goals
- Get comfortable drawing hands/ make them more expressive.
- Work on making action scenes and movement less stiff.
- Draw men more confidently.
- More dynamic angels that enhance the emotions in a scene.
- Less cramped panels that show off locations more.

More advanced goals- that would be nice to work on, but I'm not going to pressure myself too much.
- atmospheric/ dynamic lighting.
- Extreme perspective/ forshortening.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2021, 04:55 AM by Flytee »

Re: Flytee tries to get good
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2021, 04:20 AM »
Oooh, best of luck Flytee! I'm looking forward to seeing your journey, and would be more then happy to help along the way when possible!! : D
Best New Member (2018)
Best Monochrome (2019-2020) & Full Color Comic (2019)
Best Kill (2020)
Most Improved Writer (2019)
Artist of the Year (2019-2020)

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Always a good time to learn new tricks.

Lets all get better together. 
Arts and Goodies has been a big help for me what with all the resources he knows about.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:19 PM »
Hell yeah! Excited to see your progress :)

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:57 PM »

did some practice sketches tonight- using OC's with less conventional body types.
The plan is to do more traditional sketching this year, since its faster- I think repetition could be helpful.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2021, 03:36 AM »

kicking off today with some awful hands :V
I'm going to be doing hand studies pretty frequently (I wouldn't share them all) but I felt like this was a good page to use to highlight where I need to improve/ use as a starter benchmark.

(using an old phone right now so sorry for the photo quality.)

« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:10 AM »
Aaaaa I love that you’re doing this. Great studies!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2021, 11:27 AM »
Thanks for the support btw ;_;
Sharing this type of thing *really* keeps me on track. A forum post just felt like a good way to do it, while avoiding flooding my socials with quick sketches. u_u; so it's appreciated! 

Anyway, today I thought it would be interesting to watch dance/ fighting videos and take screenshots showing the different stages of fluid movement, then trace over them to get a feel of how the body moves. 
I personally found this really helpful, its something I'll be doing again.

Fight scene recommendations are very welcome :P

« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2021, 02:30 PM »
Heck yeah, those are some sexy sketches!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Studying animation is also a very good process as well. finding stills from animation and breaking it down into shapes drawing through them is a great process. one I recomend for fight scenes is God of Highschool.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2021, 03:00 PM »
Damn, I abandoned this thread for 2 months...
I did do some studies over February but I'll admit I've dropped off of it because of comics and other art projects-

I recently made a new character whos an athletic dude aka very out of my comfort zone, so I'm hoping I can continue practising but via comics/ something more fun. I can already feel the repetition of drawing muscles helping. I'm hoping it'll eventually become second nature and look a lot more natural?

I'm pretty happy with how the torso here came out I think I'm slowly working this out.

Lately, I've been feeling more comfy drawing men- I'm AT LEAST having fun with it.

Arms are still a mystery to me- I've literally avoided drawing this type of thing for ageeees so I'm happy I'm starting to change that at least.
I don't think these two drawings turned out that great (in terms of anatomy)- rip

In terms of HANDS- I'm still forcing myself to draw them in comics, but I'm not noticing any improvement, I think I need to *at least* go back to doing hand studies.
If anyone has good videos and tutorials for any of this stuff that'll be awesome. I also would be open to some redlining especially on arms.

Anywho
Maybe I'll update this once every 1-2 months?
We'll see!

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2021, 03:02 PM by Flytee »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Cornelious HuskBrittany MarshalAlekiLaqwen & ArgosLucas LeDeuxStein Neumann (Skunk)Asteria HydeVilja and JohanProfessor Riley Nikola KatrinaKenan Chelikten

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Apr 13, 2021, 07:42 PM
Flytee tries to get good 
Last updated: Flytee - Apr 06, 2021, 03:00 PM
Banners for VOID 5.99 
Last updated: Bobo - Apr 06, 2021, 12:50 PM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: BuggyPumpkin - Apr 05, 2021, 06:46 AM
Art of Rivana 
Last updated: Rivana - Mar 17, 2021, 09:02 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

95 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 103.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

Original site Copyright 2002-2017 Kevin Birtcher All characters and content Copyright 2002-2017 their respective owners Theme by SMFTricks - Modified by Brittney Scott & Jordan Bobo
Website Security Test