Flytee tries to get good

Flytee tries to get good
« on: Jan 02, 2021, 03:19 AM »
Heyo,

This year I want to work on improving some major downfalls in my art. I'll be posting practice studies as well as comic panels/ illustrations were I'm actively addressing issues or attempting something new.
This thread is more of a record for myself and a way to keep me accountable, but any tips or advice is welcome.

Goals
- Get comfortable drawing hands/ make them more expressive.
- Work on making action scenes and movement less stiff.
- Draw men more confidently.
- More dynamic angels that enhance the emotions in a scene.
- Less cramped panels that show off locations more.

More advanced goals- that would be nice to work on, but I'm not going to pressure myself too much.
- atmospheric/ dynamic lighting.
- Extreme perspective/ forshortening.

« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2021, 04:55 AM by Flytee »

Re: Flytee tries to get good
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Always a good time to learn new tricks.

Lets all get better together. 
Arts and Goodies has been a big help for me what with all the resources he knows about.
Annihilated

« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2021, 10:19 PM »
Hell yeah! Excited to see your progress :)

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2021, 03:57 PM »

did some practice sketches tonight- using OC's with less conventional body types.
The plan is to do more traditional sketching this year, since its faster- I think repetition could be helpful.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2021, 03:36 AM »

kicking off today with some awful hands :V
I'm going to be doing hand studies pretty frequently (I wouldn't share them all) but I felt like this was a good page to use to highlight where I need to improve/ use as a starter benchmark.

(using an old phone right now so sorry for the photo quality.)

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2021, 09:10 AM »
Aaaaa I love that you’re doing this. Great studies!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2021, 11:27 AM »
Thanks for the support btw ;_;
Sharing this type of thing *really* keeps me on track. A forum post just felt like a good way to do it, while avoiding flooding my socials with quick sketches. u_u; so it's appreciated! 

Anyway, today I thought it would be interesting to watch dance/ fighting videos and take screenshots showing the different stages of fluid movement, then trace over them to get a feel of how the body moves. 
I personally found this really helpful, its something I'll be doing again.

Fight scene recommendations are very welcome :P

« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2021, 02:30 PM »
Heck yeah, those are some sexy sketches!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Studying animation is also a very good process as well. finding stills from animation and breaking it down into shapes drawing through them is a great process. one I recomend for fight scenes is God of Highschool.

« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2021, 03:00 PM »
Damn, I abandoned this thread for 2 months...
I did do some studies over February but I'll admit I've dropped off of it because of comics and other art projects-

I recently made a new character whos an athletic dude aka very out of my comfort zone, so I'm hoping I can continue practising but via comics/ something more fun. I can already feel the repetition of drawing muscles helping. I'm hoping it'll eventually become second nature and look a lot more natural?

I'm pretty happy with how the torso here came out I think I'm slowly working this out.

Lately, I've been feeling more comfy drawing men- I'm AT LEAST having fun with it.

Arms are still a mystery to me- I've literally avoided drawing this type of thing for ageeees so I'm happy I'm starting to change that at least.
I don't think these two drawings turned out that great (in terms of anatomy)- rip

In terms of HANDS- I'm still forcing myself to draw them in comics, but I'm not noticing any improvement, I think I need to *at least* go back to doing hand studies.
If anyone has good videos and tutorials for any of this stuff that'll be awesome. I also would be open to some redlining especially on arms.

Anywho
Maybe I'll update this once every 1-2 months?
We'll see!

« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2021, 03:02 PM by Flytee »

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2021, 10:13 AM »
I feel you on hands. I personally love drawing hands, but sometimes they just don't love me XD A good rule of thumb I've found is remembering that the biggest flexing point is chiefly the knuckle and NOT the others. I find articulating all the joints to bend makes for weird unrealistic poses

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 10:34 AM »
I feel you on hands. I personally love drawing hands, but sometimes they just don't love me XD A good rule of thumb I've found is remembering that the biggest flexing point is chiefly the knuckle and NOT the others. I find articulating all the joints to bend makes for weird unrealistic poses
ooo that's a great tip, thank you!

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

294 Guests, 2 Users

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us