joseph character incubation - update: intro comic

joseph character incubation - update: intro comic
« on: Aug 12, 2020, 12:04 AM »
Before starting the intro comic of this character, I'm wanting to find out if the character sheet is good for entry.  If I get the green light from you guys I'll start the intro pages and post them here.

EDIT: He believes that he is the chosen hero, but he is not, he is just a regular guy getting into trouble without even knowing it.  He's more of a round green cartoon character, his skin is not hard but more like human like texture if you wanted to draw it hyper realistically.

Update: comic

Need to see from you guys if it still needs some tweaking or complete changes before posting it as an intro comic. Will be posting speech bubbles and posting it once getting the thumbs up from you guys.

Page 1

Page 2

page 3

page 4

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2020, 02:41 AM by jmiranda »
The pen tool is my friend, and the instrument of the soul, pastels are the color of my life.

Re: joseph character incubation
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2020, 12:35 AM »
Curious on what this thing is. Mind telling us a little more about this lad?

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2020, 12:41 PM »
Curious on what this thing is. Mind telling us a little more about this lad?

He believes that he is the chosen hero, but he is not, he is just a regular guy getting into trouble without even knowing it.  He's more of a round green cartoon character, his skin is not hard but more like human like texture if you wanted to draw it hyper realistically.
The pen tool is my friend, and the instrument of the soul, pastels are the color of my life.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2020, 06:42 AM »
The design sheet is fine (although I am having trouble understanding whats going on in the upper right?).

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2020, 08:06 AM »
The design sheet is fine (although I am having trouble understanding whats going on in the upper right?).

oh sorry, that's just the sheath for the sword.  Updated the character sheet, thank you for the heads up.
« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2020, 07:25 PM by jmiranda »

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2020, 10:26 PM »
I see a lot of potential in this little dude, and you clearly have some good cartooning skills. Let's see some thumbnails or something!
Want a Smile shirt?
http://www.redbubble.com

Re: joseph character incubation - update: intro comic
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2020, 02:45 AM »
updated comic.

« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2020, 04:37 PM »
Comic is looking pretty fun so far! Just wanted to give you a heads up that you need to demonstrate in your intro comic that you can draw humans in order to be approved. It can be a background character if your own character is non-human, but there needs to be at least one in there. btw I absolutely love the detail on that rabbit!

« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2020, 03:34 PM »
I love what you're going for here. As Bobo said, get a person in there. He lands outside of town, maybe the city is on the other side of a lake and there's an old dude fishing, reacting to his sudden appearance. Box checked.

I'd like to see more attention paid to light sources, your shading is haphazard. On the first page we see the sun behind him, which you actually seem to have indicated as a spot black for some reason? But none of the shadows are following that light source, he still has hatching just sort of all over and around him. You don't have to do dramatic cast shadows in every panel, but keeping your primary light source in mind at all times will inform where your shadows go when you do render them. And remember that the sun is a blindingly white light, so generally in a broad daylight setting like this, where you aren't emphasizing a sunrise or sunset, you may want to avoid a solid outline on the sun altogether and leave it to the colors.

As much as I love his squinty eyed, underbite expressions, be careful not to rely too much on the extreme closeups when they aren't serving the story. Or rather, consider making those closeups much smaller panels. Because the extreme close on his eyes on page 2, while a great expression, throws off the pacing of the scene a bit. Then again, maybe he's thinking or saying something there that warrants such a long focus on that panel. Just things to be aware of.

You're on track to have a great intro and character. He's already inspiring me to make a new character just to play with him.
Want a Smile shirt?
http://www.redbubble.com

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2020, 04:29 PM »
I love how ripped he is in the one panel.

« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2020, 09:20 AM »
He looks like such a fun and expressive character! i love the close up panels lmao.

And uh [member=688]Bobo[/member] were there always a "must draw human in intro" rule? can't the artist just prove they can draw humans by showing an example in the forum or discord without having to change their intro?
it would make things so much simpler...
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2020, 09:29 AM by Petrichor »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

297 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us