Shifters vs Undead - Interest Check + Discussion

Shifters vs Undead - Interest Check + Discussion
« on: Oct 21, 2019, 10:37 PM »
A few months ago, an idea came up in the Discord chat of an event featuring vampires vs werewolves, which expanded to undead vs shifters. I was pretty hype for the idea so I figured, hey, maybe I could try organising it. So I wanna see if enough people would be interested before I see about talking to the admins and officially planning something :)

After some consideration, I think for this event only beings that were originally human, or are a variant of human, should be counted. As there was already a Monster Mash I don’t want to cast the net too wide, but I also wanted to more inclusive than simply vamps and wolves. So with that in mind, here is how I would define the groups:

SHIFTER - a person who is able to change into an animal
UNDEAD - a person who has been killed and reanimated*

As per request, here’s the list of people who have shown interest so far:
  • Shen
  • BuggyPumpkin
  • Badger
  • Astrodile
  • Flytee
  • Heavenbat
  • Rivana
  • yarnwitch
  • Elyan
  • Dechado

(*I’m still really not sure about how I’d define this myself, so this definition is very much subject to change)

————————————————

Other questions for discussion, if you’d like the idea of such an event:

1) Would you prefer a Retribution-style long haul event, with individual battles and a point system, OR a huge collab event, with several people on the shifter side and several on the undead, each working on one big comic together?

2) What kind of stakes would you like to see? One suggestion was winner turning the other side for example (though whether that would be permanent or not is also up for debate).

3) What beings do you think should be counted for each side? For instance, would a ghost be counted as undead, or do they have to have a physical form to be included? Should only single form shapeshifters be included, or those with multiple forms as well?

4) Any name suggestions for the event? Shifters vs Undead isn’t the catchiest title out there imo XD I think something including “Children of Night” might be cool.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2019, 03:32 AM by TheCydork »

Re: Shifters vs Undead - Interest Check + Discussion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2019, 10:53 PM »
ArtsandGoodies just brought up the fact that many vampires can change their shape too, so which side should they be on? In my opinion, they would still be undead because they are vampires first and the shifting is just one of their powers as opposed to their whole shtick, but it’s a good question so I’d be interested to know your opinions on this as well! Additionally, should there be a reason they can’t use this ability in the event, to make the sides clearer and spice things up a bit?
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2019, 10:55 PM by TheCydork »

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2019, 11:16 PM »
I don't actually have a shifter or an undead character, but I'd still be interested in seeing this event!!
I think a retribution-style long term event would work best but idkkkkkk. The other questions I'm.... not sure on, tbh, lol.

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2019, 05:53 AM »
1) Would you prefer a Retribution-style long haul event, with individual battles and a point system, OR a huge collab event, with several people on the shifter side and several on the undead, each working on one big comic together?
Both are new to me so I am fine either way.

2) What kind of stakes would you like to see? One suggestion was winner turning the other side for example (though whether that would be permanent or not is also up for debate).
Maybe make the winner the King/Queen of the Underworld in Void or whatever more specific name you can give to the Vampire and Shifter community (cos Underworld is a pretty broad term. Unless you want to include demons, etc in the tournament).

Shake the status quo a little bit. Vampires and Shifters tend to naturally hate each other in stories (and I am uncertain if this is the case in Void though). But if we're going to go by that route, having one person under a species rule both would be a tense and  interesting overarching plot for future battles that following year.

3) What beings do you think should be counted for each side? For instance, would a ghost be counted as undead, or do they have to have a physical form to be included? Should only single form shapeshifters be included, or those with multiple forms as well?

Hmm not sure as I myself have a dilemma here. So I will defer that to others. Raven is not technically undead. The vampires in her world are more like a mutation or a separate species. I am not even sure if she counts. She cannot shapeshift either. She just uses illusions to change her appearance.

Either way, I am very interested in this event - time permitting and if my weird vampire character qualifies :D

EDIT - my bad the title says Undead not Vampires lol. Still the stakes I suggested apply anyhow..I think lol *sips coffee to wake her up*
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2019, 05:57 AM by Rivana »

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2019, 06:57 AM »
Bump!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2019, 08:25 AM »
Shifters and undead... sounds like vampires and werewolves, BUT!
We have so many unique species in void too, so like, if sumiko wasn't hung up on other stuff, she'd technically have the ability to shift (cause spider people).
Or well, miwesa's not undead, she's just actually dead, but are ghosts a thing that count? (I want to say yes cause im one of the few people that has a ghost character, and i dont think it'd be a flood of them.) Trying to think if i could help if you needed to pad either team.

I like the big team collab ideas.

Another thing to consider is toons, cause they can shift drastically, but are they actually shapeshifters?
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2019, 08:29 AM by yarnwitch »

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2019, 06:13 PM »
Thanks for the comments so far! Have edited the original post to reflect some of them.

[member=51604]Heavenbat[/member] Well if this event played out more like a collab, you could still join in because you’d be able to submit characters without an intro comic, just like in invitationals!

[member=51844]Rivana[/member] Ruler of the Underworld would be a wicked title. And thanks for bringing up the fact that not all vampires would be undead. I definitely need to settle on a definition that includes them all, I’m just not sure how to word it yet!! Perhaps since Raven is classed as a creature that is usually undead, she can be included?

[member=26489]yarnwitch[/member] Thanks for pointing out toons, it made me realise I didn’t actually give base definitions for either side! I’ve updated the OP to hopefully clear things up :)
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2019, 06:18 PM by TheCydork »

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2019, 01:00 PM »
A event like this would be ace. Also I would appreciate to have some story context the characters could be throughn into. an over arching event that triggers the confrontation... like an necromancer apearancance that turns every undead in the perimeter hostile or something like that. maybe something nonviolent i cant think of right now....

in anycase i like the setup...

undeads are to me pretty much everything that got killed or died but are alive nonetheless by whatever means including some species of vampires (pointing that out cause some lore doesnt involve the former human to die and its more of a metamorphosis).
shifters are living beings that havent been dead ever xD. with the ability to shift forms.

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2019, 01:37 AM »
It's 3 AM so I might missed something important, but I just wanted to show interest in this here.
I'd fight for Shifters' side. Because I've a werewoof.

Children of the Night sounds really, REALLY nice. And honestly, repeating a Monster Smasher-esque event again doesn't sound bad. VOID is just full of fights here and there either way. Similar events make sense to me.

So uh. Either a Battle Royale, a Team VS Team, Retrubution, Roulette, or Toruney would be nice. I'm more interested in the Roullete and Retribution, since it gives people the chance to fight others in a schedule and pace themselves.

And if I may suggest, a list of interested people would be nice to see, because I only see like. 4 persons, including me, and you who have commented, but some others might have said something in the Discord. A list usually catches the eye, I think.

Um. I think that was it.

I'll add other stuff, if I remember, once I get some more sleep.

« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2019, 03:50 AM »
[member=14169]Dechado[/member] Added the list, thanks for the suggestion! :) Also I'm pretty much only considering Team v Team or Retribution style individual battles, not Roulettes or Royales. The appeal of the event is that it's two groups of monsters that historically have beef with each other duking it out through comic form - a roulette may pair up shifter with shifter or undead with undead, and a Royale would result in one individual winner, not a winning side. Neither of which is what I'm going for.

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2019, 07:23 AM »
Fair!
Looking forward to this then! <333

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

TheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan DealbhaothTarkosDrawura

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 15, 2024, 12:08 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

92 Guests, 4 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 121.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us