Burry's Character

Burry's Character
« on: Nov 23, 2018, 05:31 PM »

"Karate Guy"
"Karate Guy" isnt his actually name but a nickname he picked up after loosing a bet and having to wear only his gi for 30 years. His real name is a secret, so he embraces the name "Karate Guy" or sometimes just "K"or "KG".

KG is actually a human, but he was not born on Earth. His current appearance is the direct result of his intense intergalactic martial arts training. He does not actually practice Karate either but an Ancient Alien form of martial arts known by many names throughout the Universe. However, the style does look and perform much like our Earth Karate, utilizing power chops and kicks that could level a mountain when mastered.

K is a good guy for the most part and 2nd in line to be Grandmaster, now that he has earned his Rainbow belt. He has set out on a journey to take his training to the next level and make the style his own. He uses martial arts to fix ALL PROBLEMS, if a cat is stuck in a tree he will more than likely karate chop it down.

Re: Burry's Character
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2018, 09:58 PM »
That's cool it's nice to see more fighter dudes coming to void. What program are you using to draw btw? also are you using a tablet and if so what kind?

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2018, 05:36 AM »
Solid start.  Can't wait to see some comics.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2018, 03:50 PM »
Not sure how to '@' people on this site but ArtsandGoodies im using Photoshop, i usually use it for video editing and photo compositing. Never used it to draw before. I also use and Wacom Inklink Pen and an old ass Bamboo Tablet.
And William_Duel i am working on my intro comic now

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2018, 04:17 PM »
the concept of using martial arts to solve everything is really strong. looking forward to what you've got in mind for comics!!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2018, 11:43 PM »
I love him. Can't wait to see your pages! I highly encourage you to post process stuff while they're in a rough stage, so people can offer feedback that can actually be implemented.
Want a Smile shirt?
http://www.redbubble.com

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2018, 06:16 AM »
Ok thats cool, well here's what i have so far. I think its going preety well but this is a foriegn experience but i think itll run more smoothly the more I do.

What pointers do you guys have on streamlining the coloring process?

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2018, 07:02 AM »
KG looks he's gonna be a blast, I'm eager to see him in action!

As for streamlining the whole process, I know a lot folks tend to have success doing their comics in an assembly line sort of style. Like doing all the rough sketching first for every page, then the lines, etc. That way you're applying all your flat colors at one time, then the shading and highlights as well.

It may be worth giving that method a shot if going panel by panel gets too tedious

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Ok thats cool, well here's what i have so far. I think its going preety well but this is a foriegn experience but i think itll run more smoothly the more I do.

What pointers do you guys have on streamlining the coloring process?
So as someone who needed to follow the advice this year I will tell you a couple things I have been told.
          -I'm not sure what size and resolution you are working at but it looks like it's too small. With comic files you will want a bigger file size than the completed version you show. You want at least a 300 DPI resolution and a good size to start with is 2500 px wide by 3500 px tall. You can save a duplicate at a smaller size and that would be the one you submit (you will want 1000 px width for the one you want to submit). This will make it look much smoother and give you way more leeway to work with since your colors don't fit in the lines all the time.
           - Working at the bigger size allowed you to work with bigger brushes and make your lines look smoother and less pixalated. also since you have a tablet make sure your pen pressure is on and you're using a brush that has pen pressure since line variation is important as well. Generally for line art you will want a 5 px brush when working at the size i mentioned before.
           -You need to use multiple layers for the line art and colors and panel frames. Panel frames on top layer, line art below that and then Color layer below that. All your line art should be the same color and you shouldn't worry about lineless styles or colored line art at this point.
           -Once you have your line art put your coloring layer below it so you don't have to worry about covering the lines and it gives you more leeway to not have to worry about white spots. 

There are tons of tutorials on youtube as well and i would highly recommend looking up some of those since those are from people who didn't learn coloring literally this year. There are some tutorials in the forums but they have a couple broken links. If you want screenshot steps I can do that though it would be easiest through the discord. https://discord.gg/xJRd7Q I would also say most everyone else on the site is a better coloerer than me but i just learned this year so maybe saying the stuff people walked me through could help you.

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2018, 08:48 AM »

Hey thanks for the tips, some of the stuff i figured but it was very helpful to see all at once thanks! Here's everything i have so far.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2018, 10:57 PM »
You're doing a good amount of work pretty fast which is awesome. some more quick advice I would say is for the word bubbles.
get a font from this site: http://www.blambot.com/fonts_dialogue.shtml or another one like it. The default fonts don't look good in comics and will distract the reader. also you should add a black border to all your dialogue bubbles to more easily separate them from the images.
For more detailed information on how to level up your bubbles here's a great forum post on them. http://entervoid.com/index.php?topic=12907.0
good luck and I look forward to seeing more progress.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

310 Guests, 3 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us