/[|| RETRIBUTION: Order vs Chaos ||]\

/[|| RETRIBUTION: Order vs Chaos ||]\
« on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:56 PM »

What it is
Retribution is a site-wide, long term atmospheric event. The New Void City government has unleashed a new offensive against the criminal underground, allying with powerful organizations to supply new equipment, means of collecting intel, and firepower to clean the streets and put criminals behind bars.

How it works
A list of “Wanted” characters, each with a list of crimes/suspected crimes, will be available to review by any member. A member can use a character of theirs to challenge a “Wanted” character, for the purpose of defeating said character and having them arrested. Both members must write “RETRIBUTION” on the battle comments for the battle to count towards points. Depending on the outcome of the battle, points will be given to the Lawful or the Lawless. These will change the scenarios of the event overtime and show who currently has the upper hand in the war for the city. When the event reaches its end, the points will be used to determine the success rate of the Lawful, and lead to a final team battle between three Lawful characters and three Lawless characters which will determine the final conclusion of the event, and whether it is the Lawless or the Lawful who suffer Retribution. There will be an additional reward for the winners.

Every Lawless character that is defeated and arrested will earn one point for the Lawful. If said Lawless character is charged with killing, terrorism or cannibalism of sentients, their defeat will instead earn the Lawful two points. If said Lawless character is the member of a gang, an additional point will be earned.

This point collection works both ways. If the member attempting to capture a Lawless character does not win their battle, then whatever points they would have earned for the Lawful will instead go to the Lawless, symbolizing the blow to city morale and resources with a failed operation.

Every Soldier Counts
Any artist’s first Retribution battle will automatically award them +1 point to their side, regardless of whether they win or lose. They can gain an additional bonus point if they use a different character for their next Retribution battle.

Environmental Factors:
-Bounties have been tripled, allowing lawful citizens to earn serious bank by joining the fight against the Lawless.
-New raids, freed warrants and police checkpoints mean the city is on high alert
-W.U.L.F. and Citizen ++ Karrin Klash are cooperating fully with the NVCPD, aiding in combat and resources
-NVCPD has allied with Caelum City and the Horizon Foundation, who are offering advanced air support and anti-meta countermeasures to stem the chaos
-The Vektran Nation has offered its funding and unparalleled intelligence gathering, helping to smoke the Lawless out of their hiding places and expose their partners

Underestimate not the Lawless:
-The owner of a Lawless character does not have to draw their character evading capture in their battle (unlike the owner of a Lawful character, who must depict capture). They simply have to win their battle to deny points to the Lawful and acquire points for the Lawless.
-However, if the owner of a Lawless character does draw their character evading capture in their battle and wins, or if they draw their Lawless character successfully committing crimes/plots and wins, an additional point will be given to the Lawless aside from what they collect from the Lawful failing. This means the Lawless have a chance to win more points in a single battle than the Lawful.

Why are points distributed this way?
If a Lawful character fails, they have countless chances to try again at cleaning the streets (unless they commit a crime themselves and end up on the Lawless board). But if a Lawless character fails, they have been jailed and only have one chance to break out, otherwise they are no longer on the board so to speak. Gamewise, this means they can no longer participate in Retribution battles for the sake of the Lawless points (though they can work to clean their record with Redemption). Since the stakes for losing are higher for the Lawless, to balance they are able to acquire more points (aside from certain dirty tricks that could tip the scales in their favor...) Additionally, if Team Lawful tries to rack easy points by picking off weaker Lawless opponents, they'll be left with heavy hitters who can just as easily turn the tables.

It's fun to do bad things
Lawless criminals have an advantage of their own; a total disregard for the rule of law allows them to cross lines the Lawful cannot. A Lawful character can have their privileges to fight for points revoked if they start breaking laws in order to capture criminals. The Lawless do not have this inhibition. While some Lawless characters may just be out to survive and retain the crime-ridden status quo, now is the time for ambitious villains who want to change the city to take action, as a Lawless victory of Retribution will have significant ramifications for the NVCPD and city government. Take advantage of your potential victories by doing what you can to inhibit your opponents and their cause. If you think creatively enough you can even get Lawful characters removed from play.

Jailbreak 101
A Lawless character that is captured has one shot at escaping; if they can win one battle against a Lawful character while illustrating their escape, they earn two Lawless points from that battle, and are free to continue playing for Lawless points. If the Lawless character fails their jailbreak, they are permanently off the board, unable to fight for Lawless points or fight for redemption. The same applies if the Lawless character succeeds in escaping jail but is eventually captured again anyway. Additionally, a jailbreak failure means the Lawful opponent earns two points for their side.

Redemption for the Lawless
A Lawless character has the chance to clean their record and no longer become a target if they go after other Lawless characters, following the rules of a lawful character by drawing their opponent’s defeat and arrest. Although Lawless characters do not qualify for bounties, every victory against their own will wipe their record by half (rounded up when erasing). If they win three times, their entire crime sheet will be automatically wiped clean (if they only had one or two crimes to begin with, they can wipe their record in one or two battles). NOTE: A Lawless character with a killing crime can only erase that crime by capturing another killer, and only after three victories. Cleaning your record will award one point to the side of the Lawful.

The True Outlaws and Lawmen
After a character wins their second consecutive battle, they become True Outlaws (or True Lawmen) and any victories moving forward will grant them two additional points for their side each time. However, these hotshot players also paint a target on their backs; Defeating a True Outlaw or True Lawman will net you three points for your side.

The Battlefield Ever Changes
Just like with Upheaval, members are free to post and illustrate little moments, news updates, turning points, twists, etc. relevant to Retribution right here in the thread. Likewise, after certain point milestones, changes to the battlefield will be reflected here. Defeating certain Lawful/Lawless characters can also trigger new changes.

Never a bad time to fight for Order or Chaos
A tournament battle can additionally become a Retribution battle if both artists agree to it and set up who is Lawful and who is Lawless. Like any new criminal, new Lawless posters can be made if necessary

So many rules x_X
If you feel overwhelmed by the rules, just focus on the following:

Team Lawful, win battles where you catch Lawless criminals and don't lose

Team Lawless, just win battles against Lawful opponents and don't lose

I'm ever available if you need clarification with the rules or feel the need to comment on something about it

Don’t want to play?
Like everything else in Void, there is no canon that members must adhere to. You are totally allowed to skip or disregard this activity entirely if you wanted, even if your character is labeled as Lawless. A battle will only count as a Retribution match if both artists post “RETRIBUTION” on their comments page, otherwise it will not draw points for either the Lawful or the Lawless. If your character is displayed as Lawless and you do not want that, please message me and I will have them removed.

Why isn’t my criminal character on the list?
The list consists of active or potentially active characters, though some may have slipped through the cracks and old members may return with a burst of activity. You can reach us to add your criminal to the board if they had been missed.

LAWLESS BOARD

WHO WILL SUFFER RETRIBUTION, THE LAWLESS OR THE LAWFUL?

Additional rules/updates that have been added:

-Battles with the dead, including Annihilation matches, can count for Retribution points
-A default will accrue no points for the side you choose, even if it's a 1st-time-use of that character. Additionally, you will lose that 1st-time-use bonus point for that character for good.
-Scar Matches will now add +1 point to your total score if you win said match
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2019, 11:11 AM by PyrasTerran »

Re: /[|| RETRIBUTION: Order vs Chaos ||]\
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:53 PM »
I’m HYPED for this! Let’s have some fun.
I’ll be down for battling late February.

Participating with
Adwell: Lawful

Vicente (aiming for early/mid February release): Lawless

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:55 PM »
Ready and willing mid/late February ~

Participating with:

Gossamer Swan: Lawful

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:03 AM »
This is the tightest shit! Let the game begin!

Edit: oh btw

David Birch: Lawful
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2018, 12:46 AM by Orion »

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:05 AM »
I got on this list twice, come at me scrublords

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:24 AM »
Everytime I try to take a break, this site keeps dragging me in goddamn

Fool's on the Wanted list
Ruuto and (whenever I get her in this spring) Jenny are gonna be on the Lawful side.

Throw me a message if interested. January and February are no goes for battles tho

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2018, 12:28 AM »
I got on this list twice, come at me scrublords

Kind of three times... in a way.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:25 AM »
Matilda: Lawful

Hara and Huey: CHAOTIC AS FUCK. TIME FOR MAYHEM MOTHERFUCKERS.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:47 AM »
I'll be down to clown post-lovebab tournament.

Scar-matches only because I Play For Keeps.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:54 AM »
I'm mostly available after lovebab tourney

Horsemen will be (surprisingly) Lawful

Johnny Im unsure! Ill find out after a BB and maybe a battle lol

BUT YEAH! Available!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2018, 04:57 AM »
Looks good! All my living folks will be participating as Lawful -

Jane Blonde, Director of W.H.O.R.E.
Raygun and Gargonne/AEGIS with Danger Rangers

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2018, 03:24 PM »
I'm so hyped for this, even if I'm not sure if/how I'll participate.

Renaissance Mall is open to all and Ancelin will remain neutral in this conflict, as she prefers to do when things get political.
Bill will fight to the death for Louise's spiderbabies, but is not actively lawless himself.
Nyle is above the laws of both Void City and this entire plane of existence haha.
ex nihilo is decidedly lawless, but between being dead and also being a bunny, it's probably not a factor in this.
Sludge... well, we'll see where she ends up, won't we? ;)

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:24 PM »
I'll be down Post-Love bab tourney! Scar matches I can do~

Entering with Crikey: Lawful
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2018, 02:12 AM by Golden »

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Harvey made the fucking list, my poor exploding boy
MOST IMPROVED ARTIST 2016
MOST IMPROVED WRITER 2016

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:50 PM »
Let's go.  I'll be ready by late February/early March.

Participating with:

Jessie: Lawless

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2018, 06:45 AM »
Oooh! Well this seems interesting! Hopefully I'll be able to get a BB out of the way but I'll possibly be able to have a go in March. Possibly.

Aurora and Remus: Lawful

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2018, 08:57 PM »
I'm so down for this after the Love Child Tourney.

I'll definitely participate with Grey, who will be lawful (mostly due to his associations).

Might be up for some lawlessness with Talbot & Scroop as well, we'll see. >: )
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2018, 09:00 PM by zee »

« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:14 PM »
I don't see an end date for the event - what's the "deadline", so to speak?

I'm totes down for some battles after the Lovebab tourney.
Shizana's lawful, of course. They're a member of Wulf and are primarily an Inter-Dimensional Police Officer, thought they are also currently acting as a consultant for the VCPD.

(So, Radji, which one of your babies are my babies gonna have to arrest? )

« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2018, 01:48 AM »

(So, Radji, which one of your babies are my babies gonna have to arrest? )

how about the one researched by interdimensional police? hahahaha

Well, Louise and Kurt are in the lawless category, but Marie is with NVCPD, so lawful.

« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I’ll participate! With Wizzie as lawless

« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2018, 10:22 PM »
I return to really awesome event stuff I see!! No way I'm gonna pass this opportunity up!
Wictor - Lawless
Available

Time to finally get to sum fighting!

« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:29 PM »
yeah, i'm down like a clown in town going around
my teenage superhero is in, yo!

Discharge - Lawful

in the process of making a new thief villain character, hopefully by the end of the February 

« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:58 AM »
New rules have been implemented, allowing imprisoned Lawless a chance to break out and for winning streak players to earn more points:

Jailbreak 101
A Lawless character that is captured has one shot at escaping; if they can win one battle against a Lawful character while illustrating their escape, they earn two Lawless points from that battle, and are free to continue playing for Lawless points. If the Lawless character fails their jailbreak, they are permanently off the board, unable to fight for Lawless points or fight for redemption. The same applies if the Lawless character succeeds in escaping jail but is eventually captured again anyway. Additionally, a jailbreak failure means the Lawful opponent earns two points for their side.

The True Outlaws and Lawmen
After a character wins their second consecutive battle, they become True Outlaws (or True Lawmen) and any victories moving forward will grant them two additional points for their side each time. However, these hotshot players also paint a target on their backs; Defeating a True Outlaw or True Lawman will net you three points for your side.

Also some clarification/expansion of the game added:

Why are points distributed this way?
If a Lawful character fails, they have countless chances to try again at cleaning the streets (unless they commit a crime themselves and end up on the Lawless board). But if a Lawless character fails, they have been jailed and only have one chance to break out, otherwise they are no longer on the board so to speak. Gamewise, this means they can no longer participate in Retribution battles for the sake of the Lawless points (though they can work to clean their record with Redemption). Since the stakes for losing are higher for the Lawless, to balance they are able to acquire more points (aside from certain dirty tricks that could tip the scales in their favor...) Additionally, if Team Lawful tries to rack easy points by picking off weaker Lawless opponents, they'll be left with heavy hitters who can just as easily turn the tables.

It's fun to do bad things
Lawless criminals have an advantage of their own; a total disregard for the rule of law allows them to cross lines the Lawful cannot. A Lawful character can have their privileges to fight for points revoked if they start breaking laws in order to capture criminals. The Lawless do not have this inhibition. While some Lawless characters may just be out to survive and retain the crime-ridden status quo, now is the time for ambitious villains who want to change the city to take action, as a Lawless victory of Retribution will have significant ramifications for the NVCPD and city government. Take advantage of your potential victories by doing what you can to inhibit your opponents and their cause. If you think creatively enough you can even get Lawful characters removed from play.

So many rules x_X
If you feel overwhelmed by the rules, just focus on the following:

Team Lawful, win battles where you capture Lawless criminals and don't lose

Team Lawless, just win battles against Lawful opponents and don't lose

Focusing on these rules alone will help your team just fine.

I'm ever available if you need clarification with the rules or feel the need to comment on something about it

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2018, 11:35 AM by PyrasTerran »

« Reply #23 on: Apr 02, 2018, 11:37 PM »

If your lawless character is missing a poster, reach me about making one
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2018, 07:36 PM by PyrasTerran »

« Reply #24 on: Apr 03, 2018, 09:39 AM »
... Is this thing still going?

I think it'd be fun to have Joey here.
Lawless (by accident?).

Paavo in Lawful-ish.

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

296 Guests, 2 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us