Arts&Goodies character's

Arts&Goodies character's
« on: Aug 18, 2017, 10:16 PM »

Yale A.

"Compared to the stuff I have seen, nothing I do can be called magic."

Backstory: In a prohibition era New York, Yale A. was a Street Magician who got dragged into a task force fighting the occult. They were really good at getting rid of the occult magic all the cults around it. Within a year they had gotten rid of nearly all magic in the city. In a raid of the final hideout Yale did something careless, even by his standards. He jumped into a portal, which sent him to Void city.

Personality: Yale A. is motivated mainly by his curiosity and learning more about the things he is curious in. He is primarily interested in all kinds of magic and always wants to find out more regardless of whatever horrific truths it may lead to. He is outgoing and generally friendly person and is never afraid the weird random questions on his mind. He also doesn't get scared easily, when you open as many pandora boxes as he does you become numb to fear pretty quickly.

Skills: While he does not use any magic directly (his shotgun Showstopper is slightly enhanced), he is a veteran when it comes to fighting those with magic. His tricks he learned as a street magician are all slight of hand and deceiving the viewer. In combat he uses this with quick reloads and quickly drawing his gun out of his suitcase. He is also an excellent marksman with his shotgun able to reliable hit targets up to 100 yards away, as well as being able to keep a steady shot while on unstable footing. If he's able to

Showstopper: His signature weapon which is a pump action shotgun that can hold 4 loads before needing to be reloaded. The only enhancements to it are to stop it from jamming as well as being more durable so it doesn't break if he needs to use it like a melee weapon.

I still have a little more for the reference sheet, basically the text but I also have a close up head shoot that i do have inked but need to color. I do also have a bit of scripting for his intro story.

Re: Arts&Goodies character's
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2017, 05:34 AM »
I generally enjoy these sorts of concepts.  So I'm interested.  Design sheet is good so far, hoping to see some pages soon.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2017, 11:16 PM »
You've got some really interesting ideas! Let's see those intro pagess :D

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2017, 10:38 PM »
Finished the Design sheet as well as doing thumbnails/storyboard for the introduction story.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2017, 10:18 PM »
Here are some pencil sketches for two of the pages, going to be inking them once I finish them up. The intro comic will be 3 pages long. not sure if I will color it since I do want to finish it soonish, but i will definitely be inking it and shading that way.

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2017, 09:04 PM »
I colored the first two pages and letterring them now. got some good advice from the discord on the third page so I'm editing that a bit.

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:36 PM »
So after two declines I think i'm going to try and do another different character.

all i know is he's a cat guy and has a gun that shoots air bubbles and that he is able to use it as a psuedo parachute. everything else i gotta figure out.

« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:34 AM »
Declines are generally not due to concepts and I can think of no exceptions.  Personally I'd like to see you tough it out with the previous dude.  Changing the concept won't really change what you need to do in the end but if you feel this is what you need to do in order to give it your best effort, then I'll respect that. 

My hope for you was that you'd view your previous attempts as a storyboard and work off that to refine your vision.  As people we tend to fall into the sunk cost fallacy, where we think we have to sink in more time to get rewarded in the end.  If something is not working, scrap it.  Look at it with fresh eyes.  Everything you do is just a step towards getting better and pursuing your goals.  In the end, drawing more will only help you.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Declines are generally not due to concepts and I can think of no exceptions.  Personally I'd like to see you tough it out with the previous dude.  Changing the concept won't really change what you need to do in the end but if you feel this is what you need to do in order to give it your best effort, then I'll respect that. 

My hope for you was that you'd view your previous attempts as a storyboard and work off that to refine your vision.  As people we tend to fall into the sunk cost fallacy, where we think we have to sink in more time to get rewarded in the end.  If something is not working, scrap it.  Look at it with fresh eyes.  Everything you do is just a step towards getting better and pursuing your goals.  In the end, drawing more will only help you.
the sunk cost fallacy is partially why i want to try making another character instead of using Yale again. Also a lot of the things I learned were technical things that I will be able to apply to any future projects and all the critiques have been really good. I have enough random character ideas I am fine moving onto a new one. Though I may also revisit Yale at some point.
I also wanted to change since I do want to try drawing an anthro characters since I'm furry trash . Animal anthro faces is something i wanna get better at drawing so making a character is a good way to get better at them.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2018, 08:46 PM »
I figured out his outfit and stlye as well as his gun.
I also have ideas for his intro story so i'm going to start doing that as well as getting him a better pose for a ref sheet. also I'm guessing i should add close ups of his prosthetic hands on the ref. As well as a name for him.

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2018, 11:38 PM »
So i got a better outfit for him and a good pose for the main pose for his ref sheet

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2018, 01:32 PM »
The new outfit looks spiffy! Can't wait to see more from this one, and I hope Yale gets in sometime too!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:14 PM »
The new outfit looks spiffy! Can't wait to see more from this one, and I hope Yale gets in sometime too!
Thanks and eventually I will bring Yale back, but i think i needed to change gears and try something very different.
I am almost done with Harlow's refsheet and I think I will make his last name Ironlocke. I also started scripting out the intro story.

« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2018, 01:25 AM »
Very nice! Interesting set of gadgets he has there. Hope to see your intro soon~

« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Very nice! Interesting set of gadgets he has there. Hope to see your intro soon~
Thanks i started storyboarding and doing the script for it now
also here is the completed refsheet

« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2018, 10:04 PM »
So I think I finally got the inks for the pages finished I posted bigger sizes in the discord since forum posting can be a bit tricky.

« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2018, 12:19 AM »

May as well post Catador here, though i am submitting him soon and decent progress in my intro for him

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

296 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us