East Coast meetup?

Re: East Coast meetup?
« Reply #50 on: Jul 18, 2017, 06:09 PM »
Heyyyy I live here I'll be there too also don't forget me.

« Reply #51 on: Jul 23, 2017, 02:06 PM »
Hooray, Flutterbyes! Glad the gang is growing. We're gonna be a regular posse romping round- with locals to boot.

As for me, UPDATE!

Bnb paid and confirmed! Found a MUCH closer place in Astoria and wrangled a mix of male and female void roomies (tourists and locals alike!) I fly in at freakin 8AM and our check in ins't until 1PM so I may be rocking it luggage style for a stint, but other than that I am SO READY for this meet up! :D :D

What time is everyone flying/driving/public transporting in? Is there a midpoint/spot we all want to meet at once we all get there just to sync up and see how many of us there are?

« Reply #52 on: Jul 23, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Since you mention driving... Just to be safe I'd like to take a moment to advise against taking a car into Manhattan, if you can help it. You're going to have a bad time finding a place to park (and then calculating how long you can stay there before moving your car somewhere else), or you'll find yourself shoveling out money to put it in a garage.

I've heard that, since people who can afford storing their cars on a monthly bases tend to leave the city for vacation, that if you ask around ahead of time you might be able to get a deal on a garage, but I have no experience with this.

(Hey, Shen: Did you ever have a friend drive into San Francisco and you were stumped when they asked for driving directions or a convenient and cheap place to park? SF is extremely car friendly in comparison)
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2017, 02:45 PM by Flutterbyes »

« Reply #53 on: Jul 23, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Lemme know where everyone is, I wanna try to find somewhere close ~

« Reply #54 on: Jul 25, 2017, 07:41 AM »
Contributing to itinerary stuff~
I'll put my vote in for visiting a museum or two! The Met or the Museum of Natural History sound cool (heck, who knows, maybe we'd have time to go to both!).
The Guggenheim is also pretty cool and probably the best designed art museum I've ever been in, though it's smaller than the Met. Their selection tends to be in the vein of Modern and contemporary art. They also have pay what you want admission on Saturdays from around 6-7.

See a show
My flight back home is late on sunday, so to kill time, I was thinking of doing a matinee Broadway show. I'm torn between The Book of Mormon or Hamilton. I'll research more this weekend

If you do this, I'd love to join if I end up having the funds for it! If you're booking tickets ahead of time let me know so I can get in on it :D

But also, lemme pitch to ya'll:

Kinokuniya
A super awesome home of manga and japanese goods. 3 Floors, top floor's manga, mid floors artbooks, basement is art supplies and lil shit.

The Strand
I think they're still considered the largest bookstore in the city? Point is, they're huge, have discounted books, and a large, large comics section.

Forbidden Planet
Literally right next to The Strand. One of the older comics shops that just moved to it's new location a stone's throw away from the original.

All of these sound amazing, especially Kinokuniya *_*

Also as far as food goes, I'm down for anything. Halal Guys seems like a fun option.

« Reply #55 on: Jul 25, 2017, 08:39 AM »
If you're planning to be in the general vicinity of Kinokuniya, I'd recommend a trip to Book-Off first. It's a used book store that isn't quite as cheap as it used to be (although there are extra discounted shelves), but is always worth checking out before buying new manga. You can find all sorts of obscure things here, too, and out of print gems may be lurking in the art books. Best of all, the books are unwrapped so you can flip through them.

I've gone to the Guggenheim on their suggested donation night and I remember a line that started way before the time opened up that I stood on for a while. I don't know if this line was really necessary or how fast it moved once suggested donation times opened up. I think these days MOMA's free night is pretty busy, but doesn't have lines (been a while since I last went). The Met and the Museum of Natural History can both get very crowded during their busier days of the week, but they're always suggested donation. Paying whatever you want at the Met lets you see the entire museum including special exhibits, while the Museum of Natural History will let you see the main exhibits for whatever, but if you want to see a special exhibit or a show, you have to pay basically full admission + a suggested extra donation. It's a little confusing.

Needless to say, I go to and take visitors to the Met a lot.
Both it and Natural History are so huge you can easily spend the entire day in them and exhaust yourself just looking at things. "Yeah we'll start at the top and then go through the whole museum" isn't really a plan if you want to do other things that day, so it's a good idea to prioritize what it is you're looking forward to seeing.

Say, you said that your Bnb is in Astoria, right? Have you considered The Museum of the Moving Image? I haven't been there often but it's definitely worth seeing.

BY THE WAY, if I happen to have an artist buddy who I haven't managed to lure to Void but is an illustration/comic type, would it be alright if I invited them, or is this strictly Void-only? Don't worry, I haven't run it by them at all so I don't have to worry about turning them down.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2017, 08:42 AM by Flutterbyes »

« Reply #56 on: Jul 25, 2017, 10:31 AM »
BY THE WAY, if I happen to have an artist buddy who I haven't managed to lure to Void but is an illustration/comic type, would it be alright if I invited them, or is this strictly Void-only? Don't worry, I haven't run it by them at all so I don't have to worry about turning them down.

The more the merrier, I say! Though if they're not familiar with Void they might be confused if we start making Void inside-jokes XD

« Reply #57 on: Jul 25, 2017, 02:30 PM »
We might wanna aim to make like an Itinerary Lite or at least a rough plan for stuff.

Museums close around 5:30, bookstores close between 8pm-10pm.

We might wanna filter in to a museum at around noonish, maybe a bit before noonish. Spend 4-5 hours in it. Grab somethin light to eat on the way to the bookstore. Shop-hop between the bookstores for another 2-3 hours. Then grab some dinner and vamoose.

Or at least that's my rough outline of the ideal Saturday.

I know there'll be some stragglers left over on Sunday, and, depending on the weather, I may or may not be there Sunday as well.

We might also wanna make a quickie discord server for the meetup and/or exchange cell numbers.

« Reply #58 on: Jul 26, 2017, 07:23 AM »
That's a perfect idea, Peter.

I made a discord server because I do think it would be easier to talk that way: https://discord.gg/dkJqPHc

« Reply #59 on: Jul 26, 2017, 08:02 PM »
Tossing this in here since it'll get lost in the chat:

Who's down for some Broaaaadwaaaaaay??
What: Book of Mormon
When: Sunday, August 27 at 2:00pm � Eugene O'Neill Theatre, New York, NY
Where: Row G, center Mezz (last we saw there were 6 seats left)
Price: About $150 (including fees)

Fox and I will be going, but anyone's welcome to join!

« Reply #60 on: Jul 31, 2017, 05:51 PM »
I am confirmed for NYC.
Looking forward to seeing you guys there!

« Reply #61 on: Jul 31, 2017, 06:43 PM »
bummed to report it didn't end up coming together and i wont be there... i'll meet you voiders some day!

« Reply #62 on: Aug 28, 2017, 08:48 AM »
I must say

EPIC MEETUP

I'm still recovering but ready to do it again like NOW

will post some pics tonight

You beautiful, lovely weirdos

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

Augustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan DealbhaothTarkos

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Mar 26, 2024, 08:28 PM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

269 Guests, 0 Users

Most Online Today: 266.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us