East Coast meetup?

Re: East Coast meetup?
« Reply #25 on: Jul 10, 2017, 07:40 AM »
UPDATE- I just got a notification on my phone flight prices to NYC the weekend of the 19th are like WICKED cheap right now. I'm down to get it. Do I get it? are we confirmed for the 19th of August?

FUCKING DO IT! Because I am gonna make everyone silly little gifts and we are gonna riot in the streets.
MOST IMPROVED ARTIST 2016
MOST IMPROVED WRITER 2016

« Reply #26 on: Jul 10, 2017, 07:53 AM »
UPDATE- I just got a notification on my phone flight prices to NYC the weekend of the 19th are like WICKED cheap right now. I'm down to get it. Do I get it? are we confirmed for the 19th of August?

I'm down!

« Reply #27 on: Jul 10, 2017, 10:56 AM »

Sounds good too me, too :)

« Reply #28 on: Jul 10, 2017, 12:04 PM »
wait hang on I know Im the one who said Aug 19th because we thought we would be in town already for Summer Slam but we cant afford that show anymore so perhaps the date should be reconsidered because thats kiiiiiinda my wedding anniversary and I should maaaaaybe spend it with my husband lol does anyone have another suggestion XD

« Reply #29 on: Jul 10, 2017, 01:03 PM »
wait hang on I know Im the one who said Aug 19th because we thought we would be in town already for Summer Slam but we cant afford that show anymore so perhaps the date should be reconsidered because thats kiiiiiinda my wedding anniversary and I should maaaaaybe spend it with my husband lol does anyone have another suggestion XD

LOL Kozi suggested August 19th because of the cheap flights for that weekend.

What are the dates that work for you?

« Reply #30 on: Jul 10, 2017, 01:09 PM »

Edit: wait I misread that lmao

What are the dates that work for you?

« Reply #31 on: Jul 10, 2017, 01:34 PM »
What better way to celebrate an anniversary than with all your void friends?? :DDDD Eh? Ehhh?

Ok, SUPER bummed we can't do the 19th, but the sooner we finalize on a date the better. Prices go up the closer to the date my west coast ass has to buy XD

« Reply #32 on: Jul 13, 2017, 01:00 PM »
UPDATE #1006

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm gonna take the plunge after work today and book a flight for the weekend of the 26th (Aug) as it seems the safest bet. My job is currently sweatin' I'm cutting notification only a month away.
Worst case scenario, we have two glorious meet ups. BEST case scenario, it all works out and I'll get to meet all y'alls this time around. :D :D
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 12:05 PM by Kozispoon »

« Reply #33 on: Jul 13, 2017, 01:05 PM »
ok well thats good enough for me ill see what i can do about matching that date, meanwhile its up to people who actually know the area to let us foreigners know WHERE in new york we'll be meeting lol

« Reply #34 on: Jul 13, 2017, 03:26 PM »
26th sounds good to me.
I'm also willing to split costs on some sort of hotel arrangements if anyone wants. Fellow lady roommates only, tho. I'd probably only stay one night unless our party plans end up spanning more than one day.

« Reply #35 on: Jul 13, 2017, 05:20 PM »
I'm sure I can do the 26th ~ squeeee NyawkNyawkk

« Reply #36 on: Jul 14, 2017, 12:06 AM »
Unless this L.A. move happens, I will be there to ruin everyone's weekend.

« Reply #37 on: Jul 14, 2017, 12:08 AM »
Okey doke!

Booked my flight, AND got an Airbnb request out for Aug 26th through the 28th in the Jackson heights area (only a 20min drive from JFK. Not very long from La Guardia either. Groovy!). Depending on whether or not I get it, I'm down to *discuss* who may need some 'Can I crash on your floor' space if y'all sorely need a thing. There's room for four guests who'll be splitting costs, but for now only two of us are confirmed/paid. HOORAY

« Reply #38 on: Jul 14, 2017, 07:43 AM »
I'll probably just sleep in a park next to the east river with a 40oz to cuddle.

Should we perhaps discuss a relative game plan? Like where we can all meet up? What type of silly shit we can get into? Where the heck we are all gonna get food and drink? How much coke should I buy? On a scale from 1-10 how many are interested in making bad life decisions? I know if RoflQu hangs out I have to beat him to a pulp and dump his body in the hudson. 

« Reply #39 on: Jul 14, 2017, 08:57 AM »
I want to do what the non-natives want to do. I was talking with Kozi about making a game plan according to what people felt like doing. Also depends on how many people show up, etc. We were talking about going to some museums :) If anyone wants to do anything in particular, post it here and we'll figure it out.

I just wanna eat some Halal Guys and chill.

« Reply #40 on: Jul 14, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Kozi's Picks

(Please note these is a proposed and not a set in stone playlist for the meet up. I'm just taking a stab at itinerary!)

Get soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai
I have heard legendary tales of this place (but also know they have lines out the door, so my hopes are conservative at best), so I gotta try to get myself a dumplin'. https://www.joeshanghairestaurants.com/

Times Square
Purely for pictures and touristy oogling. Hopefully break into a song and dance number. You know you wanna!

See a show
My flight back home is late on sunday, so to kill time, I was thinking of doing a matinee Broadway show. I'm torn between The Book of Mormon or Hamilton. I'll research more this weekend

Try ridiculous dessert at  the Dominique Ansel Bakery
Located in lower Manhattan. If any natives know of a more epic place to try some sugary confections, sound off! http://dominiqueansel.com/

The Met or American Museum of Natural History?
I want to visit at least ONE museum in NYC for sure. I'm down for whichever is more affordable overall
http://www.metmuseum.org/ http://www.amnh.org/

The Empire state Building
Art deco realness and I wanna be high up. It's win win!

« Reply #41 on: Jul 14, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Also for your consideration:

Food:
http://thehalalguys.com/
http://www.schnippers.com/ - this is right by Times Square and it's nothing too fancy but it's always solid
https://www.2brospizza.com/ - $1 pizza slices

If you can't get into the dumpling place of your choice, you can just literally walk around Chinatown and you're bound to find 1245894 others.

Dessert:
http://www.littlepiecompany.com/
https://www.bakedbymelissa.com/ - Tiny cupcakes!
https://www.biggayicecream.com/

Muesums -

Muesum of Natural History is fun, this can easily take up an entire day FYI - Tickets are $22 SUGGESTED, you can pay less if you want to.
The Met is also dope, lots of old old old stuff to browse - $25 SUGGESTED
Also consider MoMA - https://www.moma.org

Other things -

Bethesda Fountain in Central Park
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/10/37/29/103729b3e18a595bb413963f029dfe18.jpg
This is another iconic spot, walking through the park is nice but that's up to you guys ;)

Rockefeller Center
This is where they put that big ol' Christmas tree that you've probably seen in movies
The Nintendo store is here, as well as some other stores

TIMES SQUARE IS WAY COOLER AT NIGHT

Also let me know if this is anyone's first time to NYC so I can give pro tips on how to not die.

« Reply #42 on: Jul 14, 2017, 12:21 PM »
I am down for any and all pizza-ing.

And I will personally confirm the American Museum of Natural History and Metropolitan Museum Of Art both have "suggested" prices. As I spent many a day handing the poor clerk a $5 bill and holding my hand out for an entry pin. It's okay, they're used to it.

But also, lemme pitch to ya'll:

Kinokuniya
A super awesome home of manga and japanese goods. 3 Floors, top floor's manga, mid floors artbooks, basement is art supplies and lil shit.

The Strand
I think they're still considered the largest bookstore in the city? Point is, they're huge, have discounted books, and a large, large comics section.

Forbidden Planet
Literally right next to The Strand. One of the older comics shops that just moved to it's new location a stone's throw away from the original.

« Reply #43 on: Jul 14, 2017, 04:54 PM »
The museum of natural history has these WEIRD rules about not touching exhibits...which really if they were so concerned theyd do a better job keeping them out of my reach...amirite?

« Reply #44 on: Jul 14, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Another pro tip: If a Buddhist monk shows you an amulet, it's not a souvenir for you to take.  Those dudes are fast and will chase you down. 

« Reply #45 on: Jul 14, 2017, 10:42 PM »
Another pro tip: If a Buddhist monk shows you an amulet, it's not a souvenir for you to take.  Those dudes are fast and will chase you down.

Literally just DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING THAT SOMEONE OFFERS YOU. Keep your hands in your pockets and don't make eye contact. You will be handed 100000 things just don't take them!!!

« Reply #46 on: Jul 15, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Literally just DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING THAT SOMEONE OFFERS YOU. Keep your hands in your pockets and don't make eye contact. You will be handed 100000 things just don't take them!!!

MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF NYC. Seriously, don't touch anything. Everyone is a scam artist and they can smell you are a tourist. Especially if you are walking around with your head in the clouds.

« Reply #47 on: Jul 15, 2017, 02:29 PM »
why's it gotta be when school starts??? DX

« Reply #48 on: Jul 15, 2017, 10:44 PM »
fuck school Julz
We gon start a gang in NYC
*watches The Warriors for protips*

« Reply #49 on: Jul 17, 2017, 12:09 PM »
Thanks for the cautionary advice. I always take stuff handed to me to be nice. I'll make sure I don't!

In other news, first bnb fell through, but I managed to find a secondary location MUCH closer to all the goodies we wanna see. Just to reiterate this is for the weekend of the 26th of August Made a discord chat for those rooming and will reserve and book on friday once I get paid. Wewt! If worse comes to worse, or a bnb doesn't hash out in time, I'll just bite the bullet and get a pricey 2 bed hotel in Soho or Manhattan somewhere as I don't wanna worry about accommodations. So far we have...three I think confirmed to split cost, but the location says it fits more than that. I'll keep the masses posted as more develops.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017, 12:12 PM by Kozispoon »

Newest Comments -

Newest Characters -

KingAugustus ThomasTheakonRod ChirpwoodHuskMizz BonzaiSpidella WidowsMyrmidonGhoulArcher Heart MercuryDuncan Dealbhaoth

Open Challenges -

Latest Topics -

All News, All The Time 
Last updated: Staff Bot - Today at 05:49 AM
Clown Jam 
Last updated: Radji - Feb 11, 2024, 04:51 AM
INTRODUCE YOURSELF 
Last updated: Maz - Nov 06, 2023, 04:13 PM
FAQ: Questions About Void? Post Yours Here! 
Last updated: Darius Corry - Sep 09, 2023, 03:15 PM
Art Diary of an Eternal Student 
Last updated: BoogidiBzdo - Aug 22, 2023, 09:17 PM

Latest Members -

Users online -

291 Guests, 4 Users

[]

Most Online Today: 351.
Most Online Ever: 1,184 (Jan 13, 2020, 06:21 PM)

About Us

We exist to provide an environment for artists to learn and improve their sequential art skills competitively. Our community is designed to give critical feedback and encouragement to our many members the world over, at all skill levels.

Follow Us